• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
There's not really any reason why Mewtwo should be back. X and Y has became more irrelevant now that the Hoenn Remakes have been announced. Also, Lucario will play too similarly to him. With or without Megas. Although I would like to see him back :D
The above posts plus, Mewtwo is probably the most requested character for smash right now.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
For god's sake! Smash will probably come in BEFORE the remake! How the hell will that make it more relevant than one of Pokemons biggest successes right now?

Also The F&%K has relevancy got to do with anything? If did have a factor in decision making, half of Smash Bro's roster wouldn't exist!

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
For god's sake! Smash will probably come in BEFORE the remake! How the hell will that make it more relevant than one of Pokemons biggest successes right now?

Also The F&%K has relevancy got to do with anything? If did have a factor in decision making, half of Smash Bro's roster wouldn't exist!
Relevancy always gets the characters in, people tend to confuse relevancy with recency, the latter is what isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Gune

Smash Lord

Don't trip chicken strip its highly unlikely that sceptile will even be considered, as it doesent even meet the criteria sakurai looks for in pokemon newcomers.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
WHAT?! So Lumiose City, Gen 6 Pokemon, Greninja, and Mega Evolution final smashes aren't representing one of the 3DS's biggest money makers? Lucario and Mewtwo currently have one move in common which even Samus also has.
There one move is also barely alike. The only similarity is that it's a giant energy ball.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Don't trip chicken strip its highly unlikely that sceptile will even be considered, as it doesent even meet the criteria sakurai looks for in pokemon newcomers.

I'm not mad at the Septile rumors, if Septile makes it in instead of Mewtwo I'm fine, hell, if there are no other Pokemon characters in Sm4sh I'd still be in love with it.

I'm just getting real sick of people thinking that they're Sakurai and going "Oh he's not getting in because *insert stupid logic*"

It happened in the ridley thread, it happened in the K.Rool, it happened in the Snake thread and it's been festering here since greninja. It's Smash boards f**king plague...

Relevancy always gets the characters in, people tend to confuse relevancy with recency, the latter is what isn't an issue.
Still applies, Rob, G&W, Mother and Ice climbers will probably never see the light of another day, yet are still in game. Jigg's, Pichu, Dr Mario and Toon Link are rather irrelevant characters in their respected franchise. Yet, all of these guys made it into the roster!

The factors Sakurai picks his characters is more than just "Relevancy" so people need to stop using that excuse.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm not mad at the Septile rumors, if Septile makes it in instead of Mewtwo I'm fine, hell, if there are no other Pokemon characters in Sm4sh I'd still be in love with it.

I'm just getting real sick of people thinking that they're Sakurai and going "Oh he's not getting in because *insert stupid logic*"

It happened in the ridley thread, it happened in the K.Rool, it happened in the Snake thread and it's been festering here since greninja. It's Smash boards f**king plague...

Still applies, Rob, G&W, Mother and Ice climbers will probably never see the light of another day, yet are still in game. Jigg's, Pichu, Dr Mario and Toon Link are rather irrelevant characters in their respected franchise. Yet, all of these guys made it into the roster!

The factors Sakurai picks his characters is more than just "Relevancy" so people need to stop using that excuse.
Just a quick question before i get ahead of my self are you saying them plus ness will fail to get in? Or people assume they will not get in?

Last edited:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703

ROB, G&W, Mother, Ice Climbers, etc. are milestones in Nintendo's history.

Pichu got in because it was heavily marketed as one of Gen II's icons, Dr. Mario and Toon Link have games of their own, and Jigglypuff was perhaps the second most Poikemon during the 90s and now has the Fairy type. Yes they were never vital, but they did represent the series properly during their time.

EDIT
Just a quick question before i get ahead of my self are you saying them plus ness will fail to get in? Or people assume they will not get in again?
This

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Its still possible mewtwo can get in if playable because of like so

Pikachu = electric type

Charizard = fire type

Greninja = water type

Sceptile = grass type

Jigglypuff = fairy type

Lucario = fighting type

Mewtwo = psychic type

One type for each important types but still a slim chance for sceptile even with the remakes of ruby and sapphire

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
E3 is too far and Mewtwo will probably be secret so we won't know til august....

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
WHAT?! So Lumiose City, Gen 6 Pokemon, Greninja, and Mega Evolution final smashes aren't representing one of the 3DS's biggest money makers? Lucario and Mewtwo currently have one move in common which even Samus also has.
Megaman's charge shot is pretty much the same, too.

There's not really any reason why Mewtwo should be back. X and Y has became more irrelevant now that the Hoenn Remakes have been announced. Also, Lucario will play too similarly to him. With or without Megas. Although I would like to see him back :D
X & Y have been out for LESS THAN A YEAR.

ORAS won't be out until Smash 4 WiiU is out this year.

May I just say: what.

Last edited by a moderator:

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Honestly it can go either way for Mewtwo. He might be in, or he might get cut again.

I want him in since I loved him in Melee but I won't be terribly heart broken if he was cut

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
You know what? I just thought of something: even Wii Fit Trainer has a chargeable ball of energy attack!
WFT
Megaman
Samus
Lucario
Mewtwo

At least Mewtwo's is different, in than it travels in a sine wave pattern, whereas all the other hadouken/kamehameha attacks travel in a straight line.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
You know what? I just thought of something: even Wii Fit Trainer has a chargeable ball of energy attack!
WFT
Megaman
Samus
Lucario
Mewtwo

At least Mewtwo's is different, in than it travels in a sine wave pattern, whereas all the other hadouken/kamehameha attacks travel in a straight line.
Lucario's travels in a sine pattern until it's fully charged.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
At the end of the day though, it's still just one move.

Anyway, X and Y being irrelevant now. Oh, that's rich.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Oh please tell me people aren't using that as a legitimate argument...
Hate to break it to you... v: I mean, it's cool the dude's still a supporter, but worrying about Mewtwo's relevancy compared to the just~ recently announced Hoenn remakes... nahh.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hate to break it to you... v: I mean, it's cool the dude's still a supporter, but worrying about Mewtwo's relevancy compared to the just~ recently announced Hoenn remakes... nahh.
...Yes, of course X and Y are irrelevant now. I mean, the fact that they're clearly already being represented in the game by stages, items, and a playable character is in no way an indication that the games will matter at all to Smash. Obviously all our Pokemon content in Smash shall be derived from these recently announced remakes, while other games that have been in development and were released not too long ago, like Super Mario 3D World, shall receive no content whatsoever. Those who believe contrary are most certainly in a pitiful state of denial.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
In response to ORAS, Sakurai would've had to known about it WAAAAAAAAAAY in advance. Greninja got in because X/Y was still being worked on at the time. With ORAS, as much as I liked Gen III, I don't see a rep happening still.

On another subject, Mewtwo was originally gonna be in 64, but got cut. He made it in Melee as playable. He was cut from Brawl, but was the closest of The Forgotten 7 to being finished.......I'm beginning to notice a pattern here.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Just a quick question before i get ahead of my self are you saying them plus ness will fail to get in? Or people assume they will not get in?
No I meant their respective franchises will never see another release. The creator of the Mother/Earthbound series stated that he'll never create another sequel to his franchise.

Wait what
There was never such a thing as Toon Link, there he was always just Link portrayed in the style the developers conserved at the timeline.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
In response to ORAS, Sakurai would've had to known about it WAAAAAAAAAAY in advance. Greninja got in because X/Y was still being worked on at the time. With ORAS, as much as I liked Gen III, I don't see a rep happening still.

On another subject, Mewtwo was originally gonna be in 64, but got cut. He made it in Melee as playable. He was cut from Brawl, but was the closest of The Forgotten 7 to being finished.......I'm beginning to notice a pattern here.

I am a huge Mewtwo supporter but I need to make some counter arguments to some points being made.

First Greninja was not decided upon until at the very earliest December of last year.

How do I know? Well, do you think Sakurai would just randomly choose a pokemon out of 100 to be playable in Smash just because and somehow managed to pick the most popular Gen 6 because he's just that lucky? Geninja's popularity came in a huge burst and it came quickly, but the game was released late october and sold out rather quickly in many places, meaning this popularity did not skyrocket until at least december (probably later).

It is very possible Sakurai had already decided to include "The most popular X/Y pokemon" waaaaay back because Gamefreak told him to do it and he was just waiting to see who this "most popular pokemon" would turn out to be. But they could have as easily told him: "You should include a Gen 3 Pokemon too because we are about to do remakes".

The latter though is rather unlikely, as I feel the remakes were actually decided upon not so long ago (as in not over a year ago) and as such Sakurai was probably not approached to include a character from this game (because when Sakurai spoke to Gamefreak the remakes were still not decided to be made). The only exception would have been that after seeing how the stars aligned with Greninja + Charizard, they might have decided upon asking for Sceptile since it fit so well. Which again would mean that they asked for Sceptile at the same time as they did for Greninja, and this is actually quite possible as the remakes would probably have been decided by this time.

Another thing about Mewtwo I keep seeing is people saying he was planned for all 3 smashes. Yes, he was. But last Smash he was planned as the #40 out of 46 characters, almost last place. That means that Sakurai didn't consider him to be as important as you might think.

It is true that back then Mewtwo had a very silent fandom, since he was already in the game no one was clamoring for him to make it in (unlike other characters who people thought might be cut or characters who weren't still in Smash and thus had a very vocal support) and since his exclusion from Brawl, Mewtwos fandom has become very active and it is very clear that he is the most wanted character to be included in Smash (barring the ones who are already included). This is something Sakurai must have noticed and that is almost assuredly taken into account when deciding the roster, meaning that Mewtwo must have been bumped up a lot in priority this time around.

Not only that, but Gamefreak themselves has been putting Mewtwo in a lot of places and giving him a lot of exposure, I'd be genuinely surprised if he wasn't in their top 3 picks for a Pokemon representative for Smash. Still this doesn't mean he was picked solely because of this. There are many other reasons (like marketing) which might make pokemons like Greninja get picked over Mewtwo.

All in all though, I think Mewtwo has been hinted at and he will be unlockable, and I believe that apart from Luigi, Megaman and Sonic all the characters we currently know are starters and that unlockables such as Mewtwo and Ganondorf will not be revealed until the game is out. Still I have this slight slimmer of hope of seeing Mewtwo shown at E3.

Honestly before Greninja everyone thought Mewtwo was basically a shoe-in. Knowing Sakurai's troll ways you have to give it to the man, how can you show a character that everyone expects to be in and yet surprise them at the same time? Well you drive them nuts with speculation and try to debunk him in all ways possible, then when all hope is lost you reveal said character.

Anyways this has been a long rant, but I still wouldn't say Mewtwo is a "lock-in". But if they did miss the opportunity to add him in then I must say I don't understand under what logic characters are picked and how could mistakes such as that be committed.

Last edited:

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
You know, I didn't want to start controversy. I just think that Mewtwo has been nostalgia whored out that arse. He's not been in the spotlight for almost 15 years. Please. I want to see him back too, I don't think he has much of a chance.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I am a huge Mewtwo supporter but I need to make some counter arguments to some points being made.

First Greninja was not decided upon until at the very earliest December of last year.

How do I know? Well, do you think Sakurai would just randomly choose a pokemon out of 100 to be playable in Smash just because and somehow managed to pick the most popular Gen 6 because he's just that lucky? Geninja's popularity came in a huge burst and it came quickly, but the game was released late october and sold out rather quickly in many places, meaning this popularity did not skyrocket until at least december (probably later).

It is very possible Sakurai had already decided to include "The most popular X/Y pokemon" waaaaay back because Gamefreak told him to do it and he was just waiting to see who this "most popular pokemon" would turn out to be. But they could have as easily told him: "You should include a Gen 3 Pokemon too because we are about to do remakes".

The latter though is rather unlikely, as I feel the remakes were actually decided upon not so long ago (as in not over a year ago) and as such Sakurai was probably not approached to include a character from this game (because when Sakurai spoke to Gamefreak the remakes were still not decided to be made). The only exception would have been that after seeing how the stars aligned with Greninja + Charizard, they might have decided upon asking for Sceptile since it fit so well. Which again would mean that they asked for Sceptile at the same time as they did for Greninja, and this is actually quite possible as the remakes would probably have been decided by this time.

Another thing about Mewtwo I keep seeing is people saying he was planned for all 3 smashes. Yes, he was. But last Smash he was planned as the #40 out of 46 characters, almost last place. That means that Sakurai didn't consider him to be as important as you might think.

It is true that back then Mewtwo had a very silent fandom, since he was already in the game no one was clamoring for him to make it in (unlike other characters who people thought might be cut or characters who weren't still in Smash and thus had a very vocal support) and since his exclusion from Brawl, Mewtwos fandom has become very active and it is very clear that he is the most wanted character to be included in Smash (barring the ones who are already included). This is something Sakurai must have noticed and that is almost assuredly taken into account when deciding the roster, meaning that Mewtwo must have been bumped up a lot in priority this time around.

Not only that, but Gamefreak themselves has been putting Mewtwo in a lot of places and giving him a lot of exposure, I'd be genuinely surprised if he wasn't in their top 3 picks for a Pokemon representative for Smash. Still this doesn't mean he was picked solely because of this. There are many other reasons (like marketing) which might make pokemons like Greninja get picked over Mewtwo.

All in all though, I think Mewtwo has been hinted at and he will be unlockable, and I believe that apart from Luigi, Megaman and Sonic all the characters we currently know are starters and that unlockables such as Mewtwo and Ganondorf will not be revealed until the game is out. Still I have this slight slimmer of hope of seeing Mewtwo shown at E3.

Honestly before Greninja everyone thought Mewtwo was basically a shoe-in. Knowing Sakurai's troll ways you have to give it to the man, how can you show a character that everyone expects to be in and yet surprise them at the same time? Well you drive them nuts with speculation and try to debunk him in all ways possible, then when all hope is lost you reveal said character.

Anyways this has been a long rant, but I still wouldn't say Mewtwo is a "lock-in". But if they did miss the opportunity to add him in then I must say I don't understand under what logic characters are picked and how could mistakes such as that be committed.
Very valid well done

No I meant their respective franchises will never see another release. The creator of the Mother/Earthbound series stated that he'll never create another sequel to his franchise.w
Ok yea none of them had another sequel and yet they're chance of being back are high makes sense

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, I didn't want to start controversy. I just think that Mewtwo has been nostalgia *****d out that arse. He's not been in the spotlight for almost 15 years. Please. I want to see him back too, I don't think he has much of a chance.
He's in the spotlight now. More so than any other Pokemon, actually, aside from maybe Charizard. Game Freak is seriously building up Mewtwo as of late.

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
You know, I didn't want to start controversy. I just think that Mewtwo has been nostalgia *****d out that arse. He's not been in the spotlight for almost 15 years. Please. I want to see him back too, I don't think he has much of a chance.
Two Megas and two movies. Yup, no spotlight there.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I can't help it if you're not paying attention, though. Mewtwo's been marketed quite heavily by Game Freak the last year or so! All you have to do is go back to about page 73 or so to see a pretty good list of marketing:

Co-star of the Genesect movie (equal billing, even had an anime prequel special made focusing on Mewtwo)

One of the few Pokemon in XY who are legendary, received two Mega Evolutions where most Pokemon received just one.

Featured in the Pokemon drawing game for 3DS

The climax of Pokemon Origins was Red's Charizard X versus Mewtwo.

A feautured Pokemon in recent advertising for the Pokemon Tretta arcade game.

Mewtwo was the Pokemon Game Freak chose to showcase Mega Evolution in the first place, on the english website and the Pokemon Sunday show in Japan.

And that's just off the top of my head. There's probably more.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Following up with ANinyMouse...

He was the final boss of Pokemon Rumble, even had his own spiffy remix boss music! Also returned in Pokemon Rumble Blast for the 3DS as a final boss (alongside Arceus), keeping the special music.

He was the final boss of Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, and the only legendary Pokemon in the game you could actually call upon and keep in your party for field assistance.

He began the revival of the TCG, introducing EX Pokemon, and even had his own box set with a mini figure!

There was a special Electro Ball Mewtwo given away via wifi back during Pokemon Black & White.

One of the bigger ones, Mewtwo reappeared in the Gold/Silver remakes, Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver, in his traditional place in Cerulean Cave.

Ever since he was cut from SSBB, he's been appearing much, much more frequently in games and marketing. No problems with that.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm going to say this now: I'm fairly certain that we'll see Mewtwo at E3, regardless of the circumstance or the other characters being revealed alongside him.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Didn't Sakurai scream out in crowd during Pokemon X&Y Direct "Were Thinking About It"

Didn't Sakurai scream out in crowd during Pokemon X&Y Direct at E3
"Were Thinking About It"

Last edited by a moderator:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Didn't Sakurai scream out in crowd during Pokemon X&Y Direct "Were Thinking About It"

He did, but comments like this could go in many different ways.

He could have said we are thinking about it because he realized cutting Mewtwo was a mistake, he already included Mewtwo, didn't want to confirm Mewtwo's inclusion but didn't want to disappoint any fans.

He could have said we are thinking about it because he had already decided not to include Mewtwo but did not want to reveal whether or not Mewtwo was included.

He could have been genuinely thinking about whether he should include Mewtwo or not which would mean it could go both ways from there.

The only thing that gets my hopes up though is that Sakurai wasn't actually the person being interviewed and he was in thr crowd, meaning he had no reason to answer but he did, if it meant case number 2 (of the 3 I described previously) Sakurai could have very well just not said anything. So I believe him actually saying anything is a good sign.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
He did, but comments like this could go in many different ways.

He could have said we are thinking about it because he realized cutting Mewtwo was a mistake, he already included Mewtwo, didn't want to confirm Mewtwo's inclusion but didn't want to disappoint any fans.

He could have said we are thinking about it because he had already decided not to include Mewtwo but did not want to reveal whether or not Mewtwo was included.

He could have been genuinely thinking about whether he should include Mewtwo or not which would mean it could go both ways from there.

The only thing that gets my hopes up though is that Sakurai wasn't actually the person being interviewed and he was in thr crowd, meaning he had no reason to answer but he did, if it meant case number 2 (of the 3 I described previously) Sakurai could have very well just not said anything. So I believe him actually saying anything is a good sign.
I've been thinking about that statement Sakurai made, lately. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that then Sakurai said that he was "thinking about it," the question asked was how did Mewtwo change forms, and would that form appear in the next Smash. So, Sakurai could have been answering the question exactly, and said that he was thinking about including Mega Mewtwo Y in the game. I find that to be rather interesting. After all, Mega Evolutions have so far been treated as Final Smash material, not as their own separate playable characters. Knowing that, it's possible that his comment could be read that he was thinking about whether or not to include Mega Mewtwo Y in the game as a Final Smash. Of course, Mewtwo needs to already be present in the game to have a Mega Mewtwo Y Final Smash.

This is probably over analyzing the situation, but I think it's an interesting perspective to consider, at least.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Just a copy of my essay from RTC. I feel it has use here as well.

Argument #1: Mewtwo in the Anime
Mewtwo is no doubt one of the most recognizable Pokemon characters in existence. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who even remotely liked Pokemon who doesn't know about him. Mewtwo made his first appearance in a brief scene in the Pokemon episode, The Battle of the Badge, then subsequently appeared in the episodes, Mr. Mime Time and Showdown at the Po-ké Corral. But it wasn't until the Pokemon The First Movie created in 1998 was introduced that Mewtwo became the forefront of the Pokemon series forever cementing its iconic name. Serving as the main antagonist in the first and most well known of all the Pokemon movies easily makes this Mewtwo's most important role. Fans of the show grew to love the all powerful legendary who could be argued as having the most character development of any Pokemon in the entire series.
Even after this, he was still featured prominently in the anime having his own movie-length special in the form of Mewtwo Returns. This special acts as a sequel to the original movie showcasing that this Mewtwo is indeed the same Mewtwo but conversely plays the role of protagonist this time against Team Rocket leader, Giovanni. There is also a prequel to the movie is a short called The Uncut Story of Mewtwo which shows Mewtwo's unconscious thoughts while he is encapsulated in the cloning chamber, the loss of his cloned friends and the true reason for Mewtwo's cloning.
Not only has Mewtwo been featured the first movie but was also the co-star of the most recent Pokemon movie, Pokemon Genesect and the Legend Awakened. Produce in 2013, Mewtwo became the first Pokemon to ever be shown to have the new ability called mega evolution backed with a completely new persona and backstory of being created by Team Plasma. This recent appearance on raised the chances of us seeing Mewtwo in Smash as it just adds a recent element to the long list of credentials on Mewtwo's resume.
In 2013, Mewtwo became the sort of end boss of the 4-part Pokemon series, Pokemon Origins this time showcasing a much more savage depiction. Red struggles to catch the last of the 150 Kanto Pokemon in his list and in the end it becomes a brutal battle between Charizard and Mewtwo. This was also the first time Charizard X was revealed.
Mewtwo has also been featured in the Pokemon special, The Master of Mirage Pokemon (2006) where he was the form taken by the ultimate chimera of Pokemon mirages created from Mew's energy.
Man that took a while to write. That alone should tell you how much of a role Mewtwo has played in the anime, especially considering the fact that he's a legendary and they are generally feature on once or twice in the show.

Argument #2: Video Games
I'd be at my computer all night if I was to list all the games Mewtwo is in so I'll just stick to the notable appearances.
Mewtwo, first appeared in the original Red/Blue/Green games being the Legendary Pokemon you catch in Cerulean Cave after you beat all the gym leaders. Back in these days, Mewtwo was easily the most powerful Pokemon having the highest stat totals (680) and being before the introduction of Dark types. He plays the same role in both Fire Red, Leaf Green, Soul Silver, and Heart Gold.

In Pokemon Stadium, the final opponent is Mewtwo while in Pokemon stadium 2, your rival uses Mewtwo.

In Pokemon Puzzle League, Mewtwo is the final boss.

In Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, Mewtwo is the final boss.

In Pokemon Black and White, while Mewtwo didn't actually make an appearance, he gained his new signature move, Psystrike.

Pokemon X/Y had Mewtwo in a similar way that Red/Blue/Green had him; stuffed away in some cave. In these games you could access both of Mewtwo's mega evolutions through trading.
He has certainly been shoehorned into a lot of roles in the Pokemon games and thus it's easy for him to stand out. If you see Mewtwo in a game, chances are you're not gonna forget it.

Argument #3: Mega Evolution
Within the entire Pokemon universe only a select few got a mega evolution. Most of the Pokemon who got one were fairly popular pokemon while there were some oddballs like Mega Pinsar. In the case of Mewtwo, he was not only the one to first use and advertise this new feature but he is one of two Pokemon who can utilize two different forms. Now obviously Charizard is probably the most recognizable Pokemon outside of Pikachu but what does this say about Mewtwo? It speak volumes about his popularity and about how the Pokemon company holds the character in high standards. With this, I'm confident saying that Mewtwo is with the top 3 most valuable Pokemon to the company.
Argument #4: Sakurai Looks For Popularity
Sakurai has stated in the past that one of the criteria of being a Smash Bros. character was that you had to make to people want to play them. Even more important than that was in a recent interview and said some things that easily work in Mewtwo's favor. Sakurai stated that they look to the anime and movies which Mewtwo has become in more stongly featured in. Having been in both the latest movie and the Origins special, there is no doubt they would have taken notice.
"Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company," explained designer Masahiro Sakurai when we put the question to him. "What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front.

"For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward.

"But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things."
Argument #5: Popularity
Do I even need to elaborate on this. Almost everybody loves Mewtwo and most of the few who don't are just those who complain about him being too powerful. But that's what we love about him, he's a freaking PSYCHIC GOD! Not to mention that because of the movies, he will be a part most Poke fans hearts. The combination of power, nostalgia and awesome design couldn't yield anything less. Ever since he was cut in Melee, people have been crying their hearts out asking for him to come back and there's a reason why he's the most wanted character to be in Smash again. This isn't an Eastern or Western thing, it's global. There was even a fan during the X and Y Developer Roundtable Conference who asked if Mega Mewtwo would show up in Smash Bros. What was Sakurai's response? "We're thinking about it" -Masahiro Sakurai

Argument #6: Melee
Ever since SSBM, people around the world shocked the heck out of themselves the moment they discovered this guy was in the game. I still remember the excitement I felt when I had just finished a vs mode match and the challenger approaching sign came up. While he may not have been the most competitively sound character, who cared, FREAKING MEWTWO WAS IN SMASH BROS. Of course we would like for him to be buffed this time around but that one appearance gave some people the greatest surprise they'd ever known in the series. People cared so much about this character that Project M remade him just for the purpose of having him back in the main Smash games. With this one appearance, there's no argument that he cant work and there's no argument that it would be hard to come up with a moveset (as if those were arguments anyways). If Sakurai wants to put him in he need only to port his moves and animations over to Smash 4. He's got everything he needs to work with right there. Anything else barring final smash is just extra.

Argument #7: Planned for Brawl
Ah, the age old forbidden seven working again to show people how close Mewtwo is. With Brawl's data files, some unused character data was found for 7 different character. Of these, Mewtwo was one of them. Not only that but Mewtwo had the most data. This proves that he was planned to be in Super Smash Bros Brawl and just narrowly missed out.
Argument #8: Reps
After the previous Nintendo Direct, a surge of people began to think that Mewtwo was less likely because Greninja was in the game. What they haven't paid attention to is Sakurai''s comments and subtle hints as to why this doesn't hurt him at all. Many times Sakurai has stated that the roster has 39 characters. Looking at the roster, you only see 35. Yes, this means that Sakurai counts every transformation as a different character. Zero Suit Samus, Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Sheik all have complete movesets and unique animations that take as long as any non-transformation character to make. All one has to do is look at the dojo and you see that these characters aren't counted as newcomers. They are veterans and rightfully so. From what we've seen of Smash 4, it looks like the other two Pokemon Trainer Pokemon won't be returning. In Brawl we had 6 different playable Pokemon representatives. It's simple math:

6-2+1=5
This means that if Jigglypuff returns which is very likely, we'll still be down a rep from brawl. Many people pre-direct were saying that Pokemon could even get up to 8 reps this game and it would be fine. What happened there? We're at potentially 5 (4 as of now) which is less than the previous game and everyone is ready to give up. It's sheer madness.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Charizard, Lucario, and Mewtwo showcased along "Pokemon Mega Ring"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J1_Ko8qrTwE#t=308

Little setback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J1_Ko8qrTwE#t=331

Mewtwonite?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J1_Ko8qrTwE#t=2577

Considering ORAS remake, if Blaziken actually confirmed as playable over Sceptile, I could def see this hinting toward Mewtwo too, hence this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J1_Ko8qrTwE#t=2937

Last edited:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Charizard, Lucario, and Mewtwo showcased along "Pokemon Mega Ring"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J1_Ko8qrTwE#t=308

Little setback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J1_Ko8qrTwE#t=331

Mewtwonite?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J1_Ko8qrTwE#t=2577

Considering ORAS remake, if Blaziken actually confirmed as playable over Sceptile, I could def see this hinting toward Mewtwo too, hence this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J1_Ko8qrTwE#t=2937
Videos were taken down, can they be found anywhere else?

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Honestly, I thought of Blaziken when I read his post. Gardevoir fulfills the criteria, but isn't nearly as well-known outside the diehard online communities.
What kind of criteria does Gardevoir fulfill? Aside from being one of the possible surprise Gen III reps chosen to rep the Pokémon roster for SSB4 (which is going to get a massive representation should Jigglypuff and Mewtwo return), granted Gardie's got the fans (she needs a little more push from the fanbase to make it in as a playable character, it also depends on the Pokémon Company/Game Freak and Sakurai), the 1 thing that stops Gardevoir's inclusion is that she was never featured as a main Pokémon in a movie (nor was she a main mascot during the Gen III games, she was popular, but didn't have the popularity in the likes of Pikachu to be amongst the main mascots that they have right now (being Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, and soon Greninja.)

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
What kind of criteria does Gardevoir fulfill? Aside from being one of the possible surprise Gen III reps chosen to rep the Pokémon roster for SSB4 (which is going to get a massive representation should Jigglypuff and Mewtwo return), granted Gardie's got the fans (she needs a little more push from the fanbase to make it in as a playable character, it also depends on the Pokémon Company/Game Freak and Sakurai), the 1 thing that stops Gardevoir's inclusion is that she was never featured as a main Pokémon in a movie (nor was she a main mascot during the Gen III games, she was popular, but didn't have the popularity in the likes of Pikachu to be amongst the main mascots that they have right now (being Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo, and soon Greninja.)
Dude, I wasn't and am not advocating for Gardevoir, I was making an off-handed comment on an off-topic post. That's all. Of couse Gardevoir has zero chance of getting in Smash. Someone said it was a confirmed as a Pokeball Pokemon already, even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom