• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Groundon and Kyogre dont have mega evos but somthing called "Ancient Devolution". It might be irrelevant here but its a slim possiblity that Mewtwo could have one seeing how it is the clone of an ancient pokemon but I could just be exaggerating.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Okay, granted, he has our hopes high because of his comment, among other things.

But you know what? @The Soulless One has a good point. If Mewtwo doesn't make it into Smash 4, Sakurai must have weighed the pros and cons of putting him back in and found him wanting, for whatever reason. Not everyone gets the character they want in Smash Bros. I hate to even say the "R" word, but Ridley fans have been disappointed for a long time. Do a lot of Ridley fans still buy and enjoy the game? Yup. Are some going to refuse to buy it because Ridley isn't in it? Maybe so. Does anyone care that they don't buy it, except for them? No.

So throw a tantrum if you want. Soulless One tossed around the word entitled -- don't prove him right. When we finally know the full Smash 4 roster, and all the speculation is put aside, we will have the game that they have presented to us. Complaining and badmouthing Sakurai won't bring Mewtwo back.

This is all very ridiculous. I feel silly even having to post any of this. This ought to go without saying.

I think Mewtwo's back. If I'm wrong about that, but Smash 4 is still an excellent game, I won't care that he's not in as much. It will be fine.
If the worst happens, sucking it up and doing nothing but praising won't bring Mewtwo back either. I don't care for begrudging Sakurai personally over a character or something either as I've said elsewhere, but that doesn't automatically make him or the new Smash exempt to criticism... The game will have its pros and cons like anything else, and Mewtwo not being in will be a legit criticism just as it was with Brawl, even if it turns out to be a good/great game (which I'm sure it will be) or better than Brawl.

Alternatively, with how hard the Pokemon Company is to work with as Sakurai's stated multiple times, they might be more to blame if Mewtwo doesn't come back again than Sakurai himself. Maybe Sakurai wanted to add Mewtwo back at first but couldn't because they were all over his neck and shoulder with demanding Greninja, etc. and thus didn't have the time to redeem Mewtwo as a result. Who knows.

Regardless, if Mewtwo stays gone from the roster, I'd definitely further question Sakurai/the Pokemon Company as to their priorities (I mean just look how much Mewtwo's been marketed lately), but I won't be devastated about it like I was with Brawl either, since now it'd feel more like a "you can't lose what you no longer have" kind of thing.

Groundon and Kyogre dont have mega evos but somthing called "Ancient Devolution". It might be irrelevant here but its a slim possiblity that Mewtwo could have one seeing how it is the clone of an ancient pokemon but I could just be exaggerating.
Hm... It might be more likely for Mew to have an Ancient Devolution than Mewtwo then, when you think about it. Or at least it'd make more sense, awesome as Mewtwo having one would be.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Do you really think they are gonna show all the characters before release?
Also the slot argument is very weak as
1) PKMN and Zelda got more characters in brawl and
2) PKMN was going to have 6 slots in brawl anyway
You are basically saying that they won't add Mewtwo, the most requested characters worldwide and one of the most popular pkmn that would increase the number of sales because of a slot, How many people do you think is going is to care about the slots?
Also Mewtwo is basically confirmed if you trickle together these two sakurai statements
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34700/sakurai-considering-mewtwo-for-next-smash-bros-games
Sakurai said he is considering mewtwo
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html
Sakurai mentioned that he picks the pkmn characters based on his current popularity, even mentioned that they look which pkmn will appear on the movies and this was before M16 was released
I'm surprised that people actually doubt his inclusion
Pokémon was planned to have 7 reps in Brawl, which includes Mewtwo and Prai+Mai who are thought to have been Plusle and Minun.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
If the worst happens, sucking it up and doing nothing but praising won't bring Mewtwo back either. I don't care for begrudging Sakurai personally over a character or something either as I've said elsewhere, but that doesn't automatically make him or the new Smash exempt to criticism... The game will have its pros and cons like anything else, and Mewtwo not being in will be a legit criticism just as it was with Brawl, even if it turns out to be a good/great game (which I'm sure it will be) or better than Brawl.

Alternatively, with how hard the Pokemon Company is to work with as Sakurai's stated multiple times, they might be more to blame if Mewtwo doesn't come back again than Sakurai himself. Maybe Sakurai wanted to add Mewtwo back at first but couldn't because they were all over his neck and shoulder with demanding Greninja, etc. and thus didn't have the time to redeem Mewtwo as a result. Who knows.

Regardless, if Mewtwo stays gone from the roster, I'd definitely further question Sakurai/the Pokemon Company as to their priorities (I mean just look how much Mewtwo's been marketed lately), but I won't be devastated about it like I was with Brawl either, since now it'd feel more like a "you can't lose what you no longer have" kind of thing.

Hm... It might be more likely for Mew to have an Ancient Devolution than Mewtwo then, when you think about it. Or at least it'd make more sense, awesome as Mewtwo having one would be.
The state of Mewtwo really suggests that he was well along early in development and either just wasn't coming together as expected or wasn't gelling with the rest of the cast or Sakurai/TPC/The Powers That Be just decided that he wasn't worth whatever trouble his inclusion was causing. That's a lot of data for someone who was 'rushed'. It's very, very common for developers to simply dummy out unused data, because finding it all and removing it takes precious dev time, whereas just disabling the ability to activate said data is far simpler, and likely was done in Brawl's case. Maybe the assets were there with the anticipation of being made a Boss? Maybe the assets were there because he WAS rushed? It's unclear, but simple logic seems to suggest that he wasn't cute for time, he was cut because he just wasn't working.

I would think TPC would want Mewtwo as a boss, so it can use BOTH Mega Evolutions(one per console) and show them off that way and have a place of prestige apart from the 'normal' Pokemon.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The state of Mewtwo really suggests that he was well along early in development and either just wasn't coming together as expected or wasn't gelling with the rest of the cast or Sakurai/TPC/The Powers That Be just decided that he wasn't worth whatever trouble his inclusion was causing. That's a lot of data for someone who was 'rushed'. It's very, very common for developers to simply dummy out unused data, because finding it all and removing it takes precious dev time, whereas just disabling the ability to activate said data is far simpler, and likely was done in Brawl's case. Maybe the assets were there with the anticipation of being made a Boss? Maybe the assets were there because he WAS rushed? It's unclear, but simple logic seems to suggest that he wasn't cute for time, he was cut because he just wasn't working.

I would think TPC would want Mewtwo as a boss, so it can use BOTH Mega Evolutions(one per console) and show them off that way and have a place of prestige apart from the 'normal' Pokemon.
I'm not sure. I don't think Mewtwo as a boss would be very good. Like, yes it would work, but I feel it'd be a slap in the face to all Mewtwo fans. I think it'll be character or bust. Though is overwhelming popularity and importance to Pokemon as of late gives him enough eligibility on the roster.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I'm not sure. I don't think Mewtwo as a boss would be very good. Like, yes it would work, but I feel it'd be a slap in the face to all Mewtwo fans. I think it'll be character or bust. Though is overwhelming popularity and importance to Pokemon as of late gives him enough eligibility on the roster.
If Mewtwo took on his Gen 1 form, I can see it becoming a boss. Thats his Gen 1 form though, and I doubt they will revisit that after how OP he was.

Still is a good boss idea though.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
True, but, and I do not assert this as necessarily fact, Mewtwo may be considered Boss material for one or more of several reasons.

A: He struck out with getting into Brawl and will have to settle for inclusion as a Boss Hazard due to whatever complications arose with his moveset/attributes/etc.
B: TPC wants to expose newer games in the Pokemon line.
C: TPC or Sakurai(or BOTH) feel that Pikachu, Charizard, and(likely) Jigglypuff cater enough to the 'genwunner' crowd, and adding a fourth Gen-1 Pokemon, even if it was the second-most coveted Legendary in the game at its release, would be overkill.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
If Mewtwo took on his Gen 1 form, I can see it becoming a boss. Thats his Gen 1 form though, and I doubt they will revisit that after how OP he was.

Still is a good boss idea though.
I'm not doubting if it can work or not, I just cannot see Sakurai taking a character as highly demanded and popular as Mewtwo and simply putting him in as a boss.

True, but, and I do not assert this as necessarily fact, Mewtwo may be considered Boss material for one or more of several reasons.

A: He struck out with getting into Brawl and will have to settle for inclusion as a Boss Hazard due to whatever complications arose with his moveset/attributes/etc.
B: TPC wants to expose newer games in the Pokemon line.
C: TPC or Sakurai(or BOTH) feel that Pikachu, Charizard, and(likely) Jigglypuff cater enough to the 'genwunner' crowd, and adding a fourth Gen-1 Pokemon, even if it was the second-most coveted Legendary in the game at its release, would be overkill.
A. I don't think there was truly any complications with Mewtwo's moveset or whatever. I'm pretty sure the only reason he was cut in Brawl was because of time constraints. Since he's been planned for all the other ones, I can see him being planned again, and if he's not in, it will most likely again be due to time constraints.
B. In Brawl, we got an Gen 1 Pokemon rep and a new Pokemon rep in the forms of Trainer and Lucario. It can happen again I feel: a new rep for Gen 6 and a Gen 1.
C. 4 Gen 1 Pokemon is not overkill, it's understandable. They're the most popular, and correct me if I'm wrong, we had 5 in Brawl, planned for six.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pokémon was planned to have 7 reps in Brawl, which includes Mewtwo and Prai+Mai who are thought to have been Plusle and Minun.
....you're new so I'll let it slide.....

Pra_Mai is not Plusle and Minun. It's unknown who it is, but evidence points away from it being Plusle and Minun.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
....you're new so I'll let it slide.....

Pra_Mai is not Plusle and Minun. It's unknown who it is, but evidence points away from it being Plusle and Minun.
It also could be an abbreviation of "Every character" as Pra_Mai is an abbreviation for it. We won't know until Sakurai says who the mystery person is.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
If Mewtwo is a boss I will close my account.

Not really, but it's not going to happen.
The only pokemon I think should be a boss is someone like Groudon or Palkia or Yveltal. Bosses in video games will be transferred as bosses into Smash. Thats why Ridley is a boss in the first place, as well as Yellow Devil.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I will be mildly-to-overtly irked if Jigglypuff gets in and Mewtwo doesn't.

Again.

Bosses in video games will be transferred as bosses into Smash.
/terriblelogic

One of the big reasons the people I know play Smash is to play as characters they can't normally do so. What's the point of Smash Bros. if it's just a bunch of dumpy heroes? owaitsmash64

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
The only pokemon I think should be a boss is someone like Groudon or Palkia or Yveltal. Bosses in video games will be transferred as bosses into Smash. Thats why Ridley is a boss in the first place, as well as Yellow Devil.
Technically Mewtwo would be considered a boss character if that was the case. Secondly, Ridley was not confirmed to be a boss character, so your precedent is literally just one example from a 3rd party franchise.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Technically Mewtwo would be considered a boss character if that was the case. Secondly, Ridley was not confirmed to be a boss character, so your precedent is literally just one example from a 3rd party franchise.
Mewtwo COULD be a boss character. While I say he would make better sense as a character, he could be a boss. MARIO could be a boss if Sakurai decides. 2nd, Ridley was not 100% confirmed, but it is convincing and I have been convinced. 3rd... you're right.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley was not 100% confirmed, but it is convincing and I have been convinced
I...didn't say anything about Ridley, but okay.

Just saying. I agree that Mewtwo shouldn't and won't be a boss, but part of the fun of Smash is getting to beat those snotty heroes down with the generally much cooler villains.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I...didn't say anything about Ridley, but okay.

Just saying. I agree that Mewtwo shouldn't and won't be a boss, but part of the fun of Smash is getting to beat those snotty heroes down with the generally much cooler villains.
Sorry about the confusion, but I was speaking to Morbrid, but eh.
Also, beating them down with much cooler? King Dedede has some- oh you struck it out.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
It would be cool if Lysandre appears as a boss and sends out Mega Gyarados. Even cooler would be Cynthia. Note, I don't actually think that will happen.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
It would be cool if Lysandre appears as a boss and sends out Mega Gyarados. Note, I don't actually think that will happen.
Lysandre was a horrible villain. Then again I did like his boss fight, and it would be cool in story mode that Red would cross paths and they would do battle!
Then again switchables are removed so...

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Lysandre was a horrible villain. Then again I did like his boss fight, and it would be cool in story mode that Red would cross paths and they would do battle!
Then again switchables are removed so...
Yeah, him as a character wasn't that great, but fighting his team right after Xerneas/Yveltal was fun.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo as a boss! I think this is one of the dumbest moves that Sakurai could make.

D

Deleted member

It also could be an abbreviation of "Every character" as Pra_Mai is an abbreviation for it. We won't know until Sakurai says who the mystery person is.
No, it isn't.
The one who came up with that "every player" bull doesn't understand Japanese at all.

"Mai" can only mean "every" or "each" when used as a prefix.
Examples: mainichi (every day), maiasa (every morning) mainen (every month), etc.
The fact "mai" comes after "pra" means it's not a prefix.
"Every player" would be something like maisenshu.

When not used as a prefix, "Mai" can be:
a proper noun by being a given name for females
a noun meaning "dance" (not the action; the art form)
a suffix for counting flat objects (example: kitte o sanmai = three stamps)
a suffix indicating negative intent of something (examples: benkyousuru-mai = will never study, sakana o taberu-mai = will never eat fish, etc.)
The word "my" in katakana (example: maiyunitto = My Unit, the Japanese label for the Avatar in Fire Emblem)

As for "Pra", that can't be player. In katakana, player is "pureiyaa". "purei" doesn't magically become "pra".
And as stated before "player" is senshu in the native tongue.

It's a mystery I'm still trying to figure out, but both given theories (Plusle and Minun, "Every Player") are flat out wrong.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
No, it isn't.
The one who came up with that "every player" bull doesn't understand Japanese at all.

"Mai" can only mean "every" or "each" when used as a prefix.
Examples: mainichi (every day), maiasa (every morning) mainen (every month), etc.
The fact "mai" comes after "pra" means it's not a prefix.
"Every player" would be something like maisenshu.

When not used as a prefix, "Mai" can be:
a proper noun by being a given name for females
a noun meaning "dance" (not the action; the art form)
a suffix for counting flat objects (example: kitte o sanmai = three stamps)
a suffix indicating negative intent of something (examples: benkyousuru-mai = will never study, sakana o taberu-mai = will never eat fish, etc.)
The word "my" in katakana (example: maiyunitto = My Unit, the Japanese label for the Avatar in Fire Emblem)

As for "Pra", that can't be player. In katakana, player is "pureiyaa". "purei" doesn't magically become "pra".
And as stated before "player" is senshu in the native tongue.

It's a mystery I'm still trying to figure out, but both given theories (Plusle and Minun, "Every Player") are flat out wrong.
Apologies sir. Forgive me.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Uh oh

http://pokejungle.net/2014/06/07/july-corocoro-leaking-mega-sceptile-swampert/

A mega sceptile confirmed.

But mewtwo still has a decent chance.
This doesn't change anything, really. We knew that the other Hoenn starters were very likely to get Mega Evolutions as soon as the games were announced. I still believe that the games are simply too late in Smash's development to have any impact on the roster, and that Sceptile himself is still not at the same level as Blaziken in terms of being an iconic Pokemon. The only reason he's considered over Blaziken is because of his type, and we don't even know if that means anything to Sakurai.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
To be honest, why do people even begin to believe that Sceptile would get in over Mewtwo? The only thing he has over Mewtwo is completing the whole fire, water, and grass triangle. But that's all. Blaziken has a better chance than Sceptile, due to popularity (which is one of the main factors Sakurai looks at with Pokemon selection). Mewtwo is in this game, no doubt in my mind.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Blaziken would get over sceptile and blaziken isn't getting over mewtwo, I don't see any 3rd generation pkmn as competition for mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom