• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Exactly why I don't think we've seen him yet.
Mewtwo is the most hyped character around the world, and his inclusion can excite the hardcore Smash fanbase, nostalgic Melee players, and Pokemon players far and wide. So E3 is right up his alley. In fact, I expect him to be confirmed in a similar style to Mega Man. Maybe a different trailer concept, but when everyone thinks the announcements are over, BOOM MEWTWO.
Also Greninja making fans lose hope is probably exactly what Sakurai is going for. The excitement and surprise will be even larger than before.
It's weird, but if anything, Gekkouga's inclusion has made me more hyped for Mewtwo's inclusion. It's really the fact that people are now trying to detract against Mewtwo for bad reasons and defending Mewtwo against these detractors is admittedly fun to do. I actually had forgotten how much I wanted Mewtwo (not as much as Mega Man, but second place is something of note since Mewtwo is one of the few SSB 3DS & Wii U prospects I care for that has a shot).

However, If unlockables do return, I don't think Mewtwo will be shown at E3. More likely, they'd show off Palutena or maybe King K. Rool as our popular newcomer choice at E3 since I could actually see them as starter (K. Rool to a lesser extent since we're likely only getting three if any and I think the last one would be unlockable. May if we get a fourth one...).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think both Mewtwo and K. Rool will be unlockable.
BUT I don't really know if Sakurai cares about revealing unlockables anymore, after the whole Luigi, Toon Link, and Marth incidents, who are all very likely to be unlockable once again.
I do think secret characters will return. But I only expect a few, most being veterans.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I think both Mewtwo and K. Rool will be unlockable.
BUT I don't really know if Sakurai cares about revealing unlockables anymore, after the whole Luigi, Toon Link, and Marth incidents, who are all very likely to be unlockable once again.
I do think secret characters will return. But I only expect a few, most being veterans.
Personally I think Marth will definitely be a starter, since he's kind of the face of the series.

Luigi and Toon are probably unlockables, though.

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
I think we can expect a few more character reveals during E3, but there will definitely still be a handful of surprise roster additions saved for the 3DS iteration. I think a Mewtwo reveal would make the hardcore Smash fans ecstatic (for the most part) and it would be a great way for them to tie into the hardcore hype that's now surrounding the 'Super Smash Bros. Invitational' at the Nokia Theatre.

Many are expecting Pac-Man, but if they really want to make a splash then Mewtwo would be one of the best Nintendo-owned characters to do it with.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Sorry, but there's just no way Sakurai is going to reveal so many Pokemon before release. Not only would he want to even out the reveals series wise, he doubtlessly wants to keep at least a couple extremely hype characters secret. Besides, I doubt he would want to leave old Jigglypuff as Pokemon's sole "unrevealed" character.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sorry, but there's just no way Sakurai is going to reveal so many Pokemon before release. Not only would he want to even out the reveals series wise, he doubtlessly wants to keep at least a couple extremely hype characters secret. Besides, I doubt he would want to leave old Jigglypuff as Pokemon's sole "unrevealed" character.
They seem to have revealed all the Mario characters already.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm pretty sure there's at least one more Mario character to be revealed (Paper Mario pls)
I don't know about that. It's possible, but not entirely likely, I think. But my main point was that we've already seen five Mario characters, which could very likely be all of them. I don't think that having Jigglypuff be the only secret Pokemon character, assuming Mewtwo is in, would be that big of a deal.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
It's the grand finals for the Super Smash Bros for Wii U Invitationals.

The last stock is taken, the crowd cheers.

The champion jumps up in celebration, shakes hands with his competitor, and begins to turn towards the impending victory ceremonies.

He is interrupted by alarm sounds.

He turns back to the big screen. What he sees aren't the match results.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
It's the grand finals for the Super Smash Bros for Wii U Invitationals.

The last stock is taken, the crowd cheers.

The champion jumps up in celebration, shakes hands with his competitor, and begins to turn towards the impending victory ceremonies.

He is interrupted by alarm sounds.

He turns back to the big screen. What he sees aren't the match results.

I would legitimately ooze every and any bodily fluid at that moment.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
So, about this Super Leaf.

I'm guessing the entire dark purple portion of Mewtwo's lower body would be given a Tanooki Tail texture, and his horns would be replaced by fuzzy ears?

I'm sure he would be quite indignant...

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
They're not sure whether to make the tail attack because it would nerf Mewtwo's tail.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman

Look what we have here, pause around the one minute mark.

3 Mega evolutions there. 2 already in Smash. Interesting.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Also at 4:20, literally the 2nd to last drawn Pokemon (3rd being Lucario, last being Pikachu). Love seeing promotional material with him like this.

Their drawing of Mega Mewtwo Y looks surprisingly pissed off.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Mewtwo will never stop getting promotions until every last stupid naysayer has been silenced or when we know it's officially back in Smash.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord

PROMOTIONS!

Interestingly, Zoroark also got some billing in that video. However, Greninja is mostly seems to be vicariously promoted through his first form Froakie.

Now, I hate to be the bearer of negativity, but the "Brawl technically had 6 Pokemon reps" argument isn't entirely watertight. Sakurai has shown before that he is willing to lower the amount of reps a series gets.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

PROMOTIONS!

Interestingly, Zoroark also got some billing in that video. However, Greninja is mostly seems to be vicariously promoted through his first form Froakie.

Now, I hate to be the bearer of negativity, but the "Brawl technically had 6 Pokemon reps" argument isn't entirely watertight. Sakurai has shown before that he is willing to lower the amount of reps a series gets.
*buzzer sound*

That like only 20% possible none of the reps shrunk from the series

And i would like to point out something sakurai decided the roster before everything we saw today before the greninja trailer its just 1 think then we instaniously yield to a different theory that does not deconfirm particual characters (excluded the assist trophy reveals/trophy reveals/pokemon ball reveals/)

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
At E3 Mewtwo strikes back!As a...pokeball!
Your reaction to this?
Well, I do find this incredibly unlikely as Mewtwo was nowhere to be seen in that opening sequence of Greninja's trailer.

But in that theoretical situation... Well, I'd be upset.

buttmunch236

Smash Rookie
NNID
buttmunch236
Well, I do find this incredibly unlikely as Mewtwo was nowhere to be seen in that opening sequence of Greninja's trailer.

But in that theoretical situation... Well, I'd be upset.
Who do you think is throwing all those pokeballs?
My theory is mewtwo, just like the the pokemon movie where he traps a bunch of pokemon

Morbi

Scavenger
Who do you think is throwing all those pokeballs?
My theory is mewtwo, just like the the pokemon movie where he traps a bunch of pokemon
This all but confirms his Tauros "stampede" Final Smash!

But seriously though, what if Pokemon Trainer was the one throwing all of those Pokeballs?

D

Deleted member

PROMOTIONS!

Keep in mind that Mario lost a rep because Dr. Mario was a very unnecessary clone that was an easy cut. Even then, Dr. Mario was planned.
At E3 Mewtwo strikes back!As a...pokeball!
Your reaction to this?
I'd be very pissed off.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yea dr mario was mean't to be playable as well if he was it would have ben kore mario than pokemon reps and that would ruin the theory of pokemon is the same number of mario reps

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'd be really bummed. Obviously it wouldn't deter me from picking up both versions of Smash, but it would feel like fans were completely overlooked by Sakurai more than anything.
Isn't it largely Game Freak's call on who becomes a playable Pokemon? There was an interview with Sakurai saying they were the hardest ones to work with because of it. Would explain the questionable inclusion of Greninja.

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Isn't it largely Game Freak's call on who becomes a playable Pokemon? There was an interview with Sakurai saying they were the hardest ones to work with because of it. Would explain the questionable inclusion of Greninja.
It's true that he works with The Pokemon Company to decide on relevant Pokemon to include, but if they had final say then Jigglypuff likely wouldn't have appeared in Melee or Brawl.

Here's the quote from Sakurai regarding the process for a Pokemon's inclusion:

"Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front."
"For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward. But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things."
Sakurai is looking for move set potential and popularity, and he has final say on what does or doesn't make it into the game. Greninja was almost definitely a suggestion from The Pokemon Company, hence its inclusion, but Sakurai also saw some potential in the fighter. Despite this, ignoring demand from Smash fans the world over to bring back Mewtwo would be his call, especially since the character is currently at the forefront of marketing for the Pokemon franchise.

Of course, I honestly don't think Sakurai will give the Legendary the cold shoulder once again – especially with the sheer amount of fan demand.

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
I kind of don't see Mewtwo being revealed at E3
I see them not revealing him at all and waiting until fans unlock him in the game, if he is even in the game.

Sakurai to troll us all, making us think he isn't in the game.

godogod

Smash Ace
I just had an interesting thought on how Mewtwo's weight could be handled in the game. What if Mewtwo's knockback/weight depended on if he was in the ground or in the air? It would be a great middle ground to what fans want, and the smash developers justification on making Mewtwo a lightweight in Melee, with the "because he levitates to ensure safe landings, he has high knock back" explanation

For example: Mewtwo is heavy in the ground(Samus to above Charizard heavy 107-111), but drops down an entire weight class when in the air(like a full 7-10 points)?
In the air, he still maintains his floatiness and air speed. Though it would beinteresting if he fell straight down without jumping to break the fall, he would fall a bit faster.

I don't know how that could work in favor for Mewtwo users metagame wise, but It would be a nice little feature that could differentiate him from other characters.

Mewtwo's speed definitely needs an upgrade as well.His dash speed being Pikachu/Charizard, or faster would be nice.. Just anything faster than he is in Melee

Mewtwo could be a great middle ground between Charizard and pikachu in speed and power, while exceling in throws.

references:
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Weight

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If Mewtwo made it back in, I honestly think I would be fine with the changes made to exclude my favorite Pokemon of all time, Squirtle, who maybe never deserved to be in, but did make it it...

That is a big step, but I'd find it sensible to have taken him out, if it meant the ones who really should be in, as Mewtwo, were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom