• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
So, pretty much like Melee with the "Final Showdown".

And Brawl's "Final Battle"/"Final Battle for Two", which lumped Dedede, Wario, Meta Knight, and Wolf in with Bowser and Ganondorf despite the four not being actual villains (though Wario was one for the sake of SSE).
Well, that's what happens when you don't have enough villains on the roster. (hint hint Sakurai)

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
He acts like a supervillain, and when you play him it feels like you're playing a supervillain. This is what is important. Unnatural origin? Check. Hyper intelligent? Check. Power to exert control over others? Check. Evil chuckle? Very check. Folds arms, glares? Never unchecked.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Mewtwo may not be a villain, but he is pretty psychopathic, in all forms of cannon he's either keeping himself in complete isolation, or disrupting the lives of innocents to prove points to himself. Haveing his as a "Good guy," he'd just be out of place.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Just posting to say that I fully support Mew2's possible inclusion in Smash 4.

Mew2 and DK were the characters I enjoyed playing the most in Melee, and I never felt like Lucario was any kind of proper "replacement" for Mew2. Mew2 just has that arrogance, that sensation of freely floating through the air, the powerful psychic throws and smash attacks...

At one point, I, like a lot of fans, felt like Mew2's Melee moveset felt a little odd or out of place. However, while I think he could use at least one powerful attack to really showcase his true potential (probably a Final Smash, but a reworked legal kill move wouldn't hurt, either), I liked that it felt like Mew2 was holding back. It really played well to his arrogance.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo's Smash attacks really should be a lot more powerful, and have a lot more range and overall coverage. His grab range also needs massive buffs, same with stats as weight and speed. The tail hitbox also need some serious fixing.

Fun how you liked DK and Mewtwo the most in Melee btw, they are my favorites to!

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Mewtwo's Smash attacks really should be a lot more powerful, and have a lot more range and overall coverage. His grab range also needs massive buffs, same with stats as weight and speed. The tail hitbox also need some serious fixing.

Fun how you liked DK and Mewtwo the most in Melee btw, they are my favorites to!
I'm not sure Mewtwo's weight needs fixing, really. He's a light-to-medium weight, which I feel compliments his anti-gravity psychic antics.

I agree that attack balancing and hitboxes could use some adjustments... Maybe even a new attack or two. But you can rest easy, there: if Mewtwo comes back, it's guarenteed to get that treatment. Just look at the admirable job they've been doing with most of the other characters! Smash 4 seems to be delivering on a lot of fans' wish lists, so far.

Watching a couple Project M videos with Mewtwo in them gets me really excited, though. It feels like it's been eons since Taj made a M2 combo video, or since M2K actually used Mewtwo, for that matter. I never got into the tourney scene in Melee, but both of them were an inspiration to me. I'm not sure I support PM, but the new life it has breathed into Mewtwo is hard to deny. Hopefully Smash 4 will satisfy my desire to kick some tail with M2 again so I won't have to look to a fan mod to scratch that itch.

Ugh, I can't wait to get my hands on Smash 4. I'm really hopeful that it's going to be enjoyable, competitive, and a tad slower than Melee. Melee was fantastic, but I felt like it was almost too fast, really, while Brawl was way too slow.

********EDIT

Instead of double posting, I'll just ammend this thought: how will they handle Mewtwo in a game with multiple air dodges?

In Project M, the old Mewtwo feel right at home, due to the old Melee air dodge mechanics being present. But, in Smash 4, I'm not sure they'll keep Mewtwo's invisible air dodge per se. They might, and that could be quite a serious buff in itself, but being able to travel trough the air while remaining largely invisible is quite a serious balance consideration.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
No directional air-dodging would actually be a nerf to Mewtwo because in Melee you couldn't see which direction Mewtwo was dodging to. This is changed in Project M, as blinks of light betray his direction. With the new air dodge, you can't change your aerial trajectory, so it would be easy to predict where Mewtwo would end up even if he went invisible during the dodge.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
No directional air-dodging would actually be a nerf to Mewtwo because in Melee you couldn't see which direction Mewtwo was dodging to. This is changed in Project M, as blinks of light betray his direction. With the new air dodge, you can't change your aerial trajectory, so it would be easy to predict where Mewtwo would end up even if he went invisible during the dodge.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. The only way to preserve Mewtwo's unique playstyle, then, would probably be to do what Project M did, and remove the helpless state from the end of Teleport (Up B). Allowing Mewtwo to attack out of Teleport really seems like the only feasible option, but an Up B without a helpless state is pretty much unheard of in Smash history... Quite a rare event. I'm not sure Capcom and Sakurai would be opwn to it, but I see it as pretty necessary.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Yeah, I was afraid of that. The only way to preserve Mewtwo's unique playstyle, then, would probably be to do what Project M did, and remove the helpless state from the end of Teleport (Up B). Allowing Mewtwo to attack out of Teleport really seems like the only feasible option, but an Up B without a helpless state is pretty much unheard of in Smash history... Quite a rare event. I'm not sure Capcom and Sakurai would be opwn to it, but I see it as pretty necessary.
Mr. Game & Watch, Snake, Sonic, R. O. B., and Pit all can act out of recovery.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Mewtwo in smash 4 will probably be hidden,a character that nintendo won't reveal until about a week after release so we may not know til after release or maybe E3 if they want to reveal him.

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo in smash 4 will probably be hidden,a character that nintendo won't reveal until about a week after release so we may not know til after release or maybe E3 if they want to reveal him.
You'd think they'd want to reveal Mewtwo due to the fan demand, but I believe you're right. Unless there's a trailer filled with newcomers (similar to Brawl's debut trailer with Wario, Zero Suit, Pit, Metaknight, and Snake), I think it probably will remain hidden – provided he makes the cut this time around, of course.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Mr. Game & Watch, Snake, Sonic, R. O. B., and Pit all can act out of recovery.
Right. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it's a rare exception, and so it seems improbable to count on it.

I think I would like Mewtwo to have a Game & Watch kinda recovery. I think it would benefit Mewtwo's metagame the most and allow him to retain his unique Melee playstyle.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
But Pac-Man has been leaked by Gematsu. That alone is a big point in his favor, if not outright confirm him.
Ever heard of taking things with a grain of salt? To quickly end this off topic discussion, for now it's a rumour and can only become a leak once it's proven true, which for now it can't be.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Back to Mewtwo. Do you guys want to see a more accurate model of Mewtwo? In Melee he was much too short and his tail wasn't long enough for my taste.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Back to Mewtwo. Do you guys want to see a more accurate model of Mewtwo? In Melee he was much too short and his tail wasn't long enough for my taste.
I do. Along with proper proportion, I want to see him more vicious and crazy, hunched over, arms out, etc. In Melee he didn't look like he was even trying.

Gnarleysquid

Smash Apprentice
Haha siiiick, I wrote that. Basically Sakurai is just stating that Namco Bandai will receive no special treatment when it comes to representation in Smash. Since then, however, they've revealed Galaga characters within the the game, so Pac-Man is definitely looking likely.

Anyway, yeah, Mewtwo would be perfect to reveal at E3... although I'd love to be playing the game and just see his silhouette appear. That's how I discovered him in Melee and I just went nuts. He's always been my favorite Pokemon.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm not confident we're going to be getting any more characters revealed before release, actually, except perhaps for other characters that were on the starting roster on SSBB: Wario, Metaknight, Lucas, Ice Climbers, or Ike.

And honestly, since they (weirdly) made Marth a starting character this time, Ike (if he's still in) will likely be unlocked this time, oddly enough.

If they reveal anyone, then, it will not be Mewtwo. No folks, we have a long wait ahead for that, barring any legit roster leaks.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Outside of having a Mega Evolution like Lucario and Charizard, I'm nit sure what to expect from Mewtwo anymore. They revamped a good amount of characters so far. Doubt they'll bring a Mewtwo back that would resemble his Melee self, not without some serious buffs. Like they've given to a lot of characters already.

He shouldn't be made a light weight either no more. Around Samus's weight, but more floaty even would be great. Really hope Greninja isn't in his way of making it in. He doesn't look anything like Mewtwo, but does resemble Lucario a bit. Actually, it would be cool to have a sort of trinity of humanoid Pokémon fighters. Like the StarFox trio, but far more unique. Which I guess could make room for more semi-alike fighters. Marth, Ike, Chrom comes to mind. Paper Mario? Impa to fill a sort of 'inbetween' bridge style of Zelda and Sheik..?

Am just gonna hope the roster is still gonna be big enough to include Mewtwo. It would suck having him out now, while he was planned for all Smash releases thus far!

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I'm not confident we're going to be getting any more characters revealed before release, actually, except perhaps for other characters that were on the starting roster on SSBB: Wario, Metaknight, Lucas, Ice Climbers, or Ike.

And honestly, since they (weirdly) made Marth a starting character this time, Ike (if he's still in) will likely be unlocked this time, oddly enough.

If they reveal anyone, then, it will not be Mewtwo. No folks, we have a long wait ahead for that, barring any legit roster leaks.
How do you know that Marth is a starter? Do you expect Toon Link, Luigi, and Lucario to be starters too?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
How do you know that Marth is a starter? Do you expect Toon Link, Luigi, and Lucario to be starters too?
I dunno. I guess I kinda did. Time will tell, I suppose, but if they're going to reveal the unlockable characters before release... there probably won't be very many surprises to discover. Not saying they won't do that, but it isn't what they did in the past. Revealing a bunch of unlockable characters before release... hmm...

That reminds me of what Game Freak did with Pokemon X&Y. They revealed, like, over 75% of all the new Pokemon before the game ever came out. Once everyone go their hands on the game, it was kind of a letdown, realizing they had spoiled almost all the surprises.

I guess I figured Sakurai was just going with a huge starting roster, but you're right with Toon Link... I just can't see Toon Link as a starter. I guess I forgot about him, since I don't care for him at all. No offense to Toon Link mains; I forget he even exists, sometimes.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I think what has been revealed so far has been a mix of starting roster and unlockables.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I think what has been revealed so far has been a mix of starting roster and unlockables.
This is kind of what I'm thinking. Would they really have FIVE Mario characters available right from the get-go? Even Sakurai admitted about Luigi always being secret in past titles, and his introduction on the site was to commemorate the Year of Luigi.

Smash WiiU specifically could really help sell some systems, but in order to do that people need to see hype-worthy characters. Yeah, there's always the gap between the release of the 3DS version and the Wii U version to show off the secret stuff in the game... but there's nothing like creating pre-release hype to jump-start the preorders on both systems. To me, he's shooting himself in the foot if he doesn't take advantage of literally the largest gaming expo to promote Smash.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Here's how I see it unlockables
Mario:Luigi Rosalina
DK:None(King K or Dixie)
FE:Marth Ike(if he's back)
Pokemon:Jigglypuff(if it's back),Greninja,Mewtwo
All third parties

Back to Mewtwo,do you see Charizard and Mewtwo getting version exclusive megas?I do,itwould help differentiate the two versions even more which could get a few more sales.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly I don't see any of the announced Pokemon being unlockable. Brawl technically had 4 Pokemon available at the start, and 3 unlockable Pokemon seems unnecessary.

Version Exclusive megas will only work if they are final smashes, and have similar mechanics. Who knows though, I could be wrong.

But seriously, the announced Pokemon seem like a perfectly good starting roster, while Jiggs and Mewtwo seem like awesome unlockables.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Think Mewtwo will be one of those "secret" secret characters like Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were in Brawl?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Here's how I see it unlockables
Mario:Luigi Rosalina
DK:None(King K or Dixie)
FE:Marth Ike(if he's back)
Pokemon:Jigglypuff(if it's back),Greninja,Mewtwo
All third parties

Back to Mewtwo,do you see Charizard and Mewtwo getting version exclusive megas?I do,itwould help differentiate the two versions even more which could get a few more sales.
Now mewtwo will most definatly have to be unlockable

But as for your theory on different version final smashes what part of the new custom movesets you don't understand the final smashes might be involved of that

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo will without doubt be an unlockable. Still, I think showing him at E3 would be a wise choice. At this point, only characters as Mewtwo, K.Rool and Isaac would create even more hype for Smash than now. Eventually, all characters will be on the main site anyway. Melee did it, Brawl did it to. So even IF Mewtwo would be super hidden, we still can probably spoil ourselves her's in, like we could with the secret Brawl characters.

Gavitro

Smash Cadet
Diddy Kong said:
Mewtwo will without doubt be an unlockable. Still, I think showing him at E3 would be a wise choice. At this point, only characters as Mewtwo, K.Rool and Isaac would create even more hype for Smash than now. Eventually, all characters will be on the main site anyway. Melee did it, Brawl did it to. So even IF Mewtwo would be super hidden, we still can probably spoil ourselves her's in, like we could with the secret Brawl characters.
With four Pokemon characters already announced, I think they're going to push Mewtwo as hidden. Spoiling unlockable characters doesn't really matter these days anyway, most are spoiled to the public in maybe half a day after release.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
If I were Sakurai, I'd say that Mewtwo was defiantly out, but then secretly patch him in and have him unlocked some super secret way like beating the campaign on super hard mode in one run with all pokemon and no lives lost.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
I expect Sakurai to pull a Brawl and reveal the hidden characters after launch, the 3DS one that is.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well it was still greninja in the trailer but

It seem we got a closer look at his fingers but why was they,re no webbed hads on that charge up scene

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
There was, lets not get crazy with theories.

And besides, Mewtwo cannot learn Water Shuriken. If it was anything, it was a fake out. Come on now...

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Even though I do think Mewtwo would generate a lot of hype, I'm not sure they'd reveal him next. They JUST revealed Charizard and Greninja. Pokemon overload?

Surely they'd jump to another franchise to hedge their bets a bit.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Even though I do think Mewtwo would generate a lot of hype, I'm not sure they'd reveal him next. They JUST revealed Charizard and Greninja. Pokemon overload?

Surely they'd jump to another franchise to hedge their bets a bit.
No wario is most likely for next (mario kart 8 in May)

Gavitro

Smash Cadet
Smashoperatingbuddy123 said:
No wario is most likely for next (mario kart 8 in May)
Meta Knight would disagree, Triple Deluxe comes out May 2nd, after all.

But I really do think Mewtwo will be left as hidden. I think 4 Pokemon reveals is good enough, considering 5 Mario reps and 4 Zelda reps have been revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom