• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Yet the two of them are like completely different moves.

Aura Sphere: Special Fighting type move, base 80 power, never misses. Used by Lucario in Brawl.

Shadow Ball: Special Ghost type move, base 80 power, 100 accuracy but can miss if accuracy is lowered, 20% chance to lower target's special defense. Used by Mewtwo in melee.
Insignificant when it comes to smash.

OT: Lucario has a minimal effect on Mewtwo's chances.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
In the Smash Bros. universe, I see him leaning more towards antagonistic, but not necessarily bad like Bowser or even Wario. One of his Japanese victory phrases from SSBM translates to "What am I doing here?" - the way he says this line, it sounds more like he's questioning his own life as opposed to expressing boredom on the battlefield. The whole "What is my purpose, why am I here?" thing from the 1st movie.

Whenever I refer to Mewtwo, it's usually grouping him with the villains, since he's one of the very few Pokemon that can be made to work in that group. It's not because I view him as evil, but because of his violent demeaner & cold personality.
I agree with this. I really see him as a neutral character above all else, especially in the games. Yes in the Smash Universe he sounds evil and stuff. Just look at his taunt when he does the evil laugh. It really depends on what you want to refer to. The anime, the game, or melee.

Me too. A franchise as big as Pokémon deserves a villian rep in Smash Bros. Plus Sakurai considers him a villian just by looking at Melee's event matches.
Event 51, that's important to mention.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
In the Smash Bros. universe, I see him leaning more towards antagonistic, but not necessarily bad like Bowser or even Wario. One of his Japanese victory phrases from SSBM translates to "What am I doing here?" - the way he says this line, it sounds more like he's questioning his own life as opposed to expressing boredom on the battlefield. The whole "What is my purpose, why am I here?" thing from the 1st movie.

Whenever I refer to Mewtwo, it's usually grouping him with the villains, since he's one of the very few Pokemon that can be made to work in that group. It's not because I view him as evil, but because of his violent demeaner & cold personality.
Every time I see this being talked about, part of me gets depressed thinking how they could always change that with Smash 4 in favor of Femtwo whose more "good" and less cold, etc. -sigh-

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Personally I think that Lucario's Aura Sphere is differentiated even further from Mewtwo's Shadow Ball in SSB4.
It has an incredibly unique design and I'm pretty sure it can grow slightly bigger than Mewtwo's Shadow Ball.
Not that two characters can't have a similar move anyway.
Yeah it can be pretty absurd when people say they are the same character because they have a SIMILAR neutral b (not even the same). That's just pokeracist.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Kirby and Jigglypuff are more similar in gameplay than Mewtwo and Lucario are.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Has anyone seen a pic from Smash 4 that might hint to Mewtwo or other new pokes? I recall a picture showing a lot of veterans including jigglypuff.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Are you talking about Sakurai's whiteboard drawing? The only Pokemon it had in it was Pikachu.

Depends on how casual the viewer is as well. I'm sure there are plenty of younger casual players who were not born with Melee, so it won't affect them much as long as they see Pikachu and Mario,
I respect your realism, but suffice it so say that we clearly have gone past the point of adding only the most casually noticeable characters, and if Sakurai was adding such further characters based solely on their potential monetary draw we would have a very different roster.

Even if that were the case, Mewtwo is pretty easily recognized (think of him as a "mascot" for legendaries), and he could draw in as much of a pretty penny as any other singular character. I mean, if we've both accepted that single, non-mascot characters cannot make or break the game, but we're going to be adding some anyway, Mewtwo is pretty high up there.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I respect your realism, but suffice it so say that we clearly have gone past the point of adding only the most casually noticeable characters, and if Sakurai was adding such further characters based solely on their potential monetary draw we would have a very different roster.

Even if that were the case, Mewtwo is pretty easily recognized (think of him as a "mascot" for legendaries), and he could draw in as much of a pretty penny as any other singular character. I mean, if we've both accepted that single, non-mascot characters cannot make or break the game, but we're going to be adding some anyway, Mewtwo is pretty high up there.
With most casually noticeable characters, we are still waiting on Wario and Yoshi's reveals which will most likely happen. I agree that Mewtwo is high up there. The only reason for characters to be cut would be if Sakurai's team ran out of time again...

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
With most casually noticeable characters, we are still waiting on Wario and Yoshi's reveals which will most likely happen. I agree that Mewtwo is high up there. The only reason for characters to be cut would be if Sakurai's team ran out of time again...
Which is a bit worrying since he said "I won't have time to bring back all the characters."

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I have a hunch Mewtwo might be revealed tomorrow, I'll explain more in depth why later, but I don't have enough time right now.

Steelia

Smash Champion
"I don't have enough time to explain."
"It's Mewtwo's birthday?"

Well, that was easy. Can't believe I completely forgot it was his b-day, for the first time in years :sadeyes:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Well, that was easy. Can't believe I completely forgot it was his b-day, for the first time in years :sadeyes:
His birthday is tomorrow

But for fans without of doubt don't overhype for this because if you do and tomorrow does not get revealed tomorrow you going to feel down down down

(Now the updates were about lucario mostly but) its ben nothing but pokemon updates since lucarios reveal

Staarih

Smash Master
I didn't even know it was Mewtwo's "birthday" tomorrow until now, and I can't be the only one (right??). I wouldn't expect any acknowledgment of it though, let alone a reveal of Mewtwo. I would think he deserves a trailer via a Direct or sorts... unless Sakurai thinks of him as a veteran, which he still sort of is, and reveals him randomly. But I doubt it.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
She made sense when Lucario was revealed.

Except she didn't.
I think I understand what you mean...

I suppose that Palutena may be held off a little longer, but by the end of this month or March I expect a Direct showing her off.
Sakurai's many hints at Palutena and new Kid Icarus stage make me ready for her eventual reveal.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
not expecting any newcomers (assuming that Mewtwo still falls under a returning Veteran) prior to E3, personally.
I understand why, but I feel like we will be getting more frequent newcomer reveals, since the game is drawing nearer.
Based on the veterans revealed so far, I don't think Sakurai cares about revealing secret characters before launch, which is why I am expecting to see the entire roster beforehand.
(plus, if it gets leaked...)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If there's a Direct tomorrow, I may count on Mewtwo.
But Palutena just makes sense.
Direct or not its still possible for mewtwo to reveal tomorrow

But if there was a direct tomorrow pretty much almost impossible for him not to be announced

Anyway of luigi gets a luigi day like back in August so why not mewtwo

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Because Mewtwo is a very hype-worthy character, unlike Luigi (chokes) who to most, is not, since he was an obvious return anyway.
Mewtwo is one of the characters that can really get people interested in the game.
So I would say that it isn't possible. A quiet reveal on the website is not what Mewtwo deserves, nor what Mewtwo will receive.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I wouldn't get too excited there if I were you.
I'm not hyping or expecting it, but a small hunch to commemorate his birth. Plus, with Lucario confirmed, him and Mewtwo fighting would be perfect trailer materail. I just hope we get the "Mewtwo Strikes Back" as the memetic introduction.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Because Mewtwo is a very hype-worthy character, unlike Luigi (chokes) who to most, is not, since he was an obvious return anyway.
Mewtwo is one of the characters that can really get people interested in the game.
So I would say that it isn't possible. A quiet reveal on the website is not what Mewtwo deserves, nor what Mewtwo will receive.
Yeah I agree, it would be awesome to see Mewtwo come back tomorrow, but he is one of the most wanted character for Smash 4 so it's only logical that he would get some major announcement.

kylexv

Smash Master

Sakurai has been giving us a LOT of pokemon stuff this week. I doubt :mewtwopm: will get revealed tomorrow

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I kind of doubt that Mewtwo would be revealed in commemoration of his birthday. It's not exactly the kind of thing that would correlate to a character reveal. It could happen, but it seems unlikely.

As a side note, we've been seeing a lot of Pokemon stuff this week. I guess Mewtwo could fit in with that at least. Although personally, I'm hoping for a new Pokemon stage reveal at the end of the week.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I doubt Mewtwo will be revealed just to correlate with a bit of Pokemon trivia.

Still, it's nice to think about...

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Here's to you, Mewtwo, you dark, brooding, psychic kangaroo.

Happy Birthday.

EDIT: Also, Pokebank is something big and important and it was just released for the rest of the world on the 5th. COINCIDENCE?

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Today is just a pic of the day with Rosalina's galaxy coming from under her gown. Happy birthday to Mewtwo though!

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Eh? Mew gave birth to Mewtwo in the game's canon.

I guess what you're trying to get at is Rosalina->Cosmos->Arceus->Mew->Mewtwo?

Anyway, I think the whole "Mother of the Cosmos" thing for Rosalina is just fan title. I only played Galaxy 1, and I can't remember if Rosalina is just a normal human who acquired enormous responsibility/power, or is supposed to effectively be a a straight-up deity.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm not going to derail this thread with that question. Anyway, Mewtwo is probably still meditating inside the Cerulean Cave, waiting for the right moment to pounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom