• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
You know, the fact that Mewtwo is put back into the spotlight this generation makes me a bit jaded because the time to do it would have been during Black and White. The reason for this is because Team Plasma, though they were ultimately faking, are a Pokemon rights group. In the anime, the only previous times in which the subject of Pokemon freedom is brought up that I can think of is with Mewtwo. Also, since Mewtwo is implied to be watching over a city like a vigilante or something, it would make sense to reveal his new home to be Unova. Then you could have had a thing where he allies with Team Plasma for a bit until he learns they're hypocrites, but ultimately befriends N because he's a true believer, etc, etc.

Missed opportunity, in my book. The fact that they're finally bringing Mewtwo back this generation as an entirely separate character just makes me think it was a thoughtless marketing decision. "Welp, we need a 'face' for the new generation. I know, just redesign Mewtwo, and give some reason for it to be in current events. The kids will love it, and the old fans will love it. DOUBLE DOLLARS."

Black and white was an entirely new vision and an entirely new visage. IIRC it had no Pokemon from the previous installments.

X and Y were different it was about re-imagining a lot of older pokemon tropes, including a new face to old pokemon. Which is why we got Mewtwo back.

And besides, is not like black/White actually had some sort of genetically enhanced biologically manufactured super pokemon of it's own *Cough* Genesect *cough*

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
True, but did Genesect touch on the same subjects of being created as an object but assuming your own purpose? I don't know because I never saw Genesect in-game or in any anime at the time.

Speaking of which, I may not have seen the Extremespeed Genesect movie, but I expected Mewtwo to give Genesect an "I was like you once" kind of speech. Did that ever happen? Because that should have happened. I mean come on.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Having not seen it myself due to being too poor. I have not seen it either, but if my experience with the trailers serves true, they we're created simultaneously and are well aware of each other.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I wonder how much Lucario hurt his chances. That was a suprise.
It probably would have hurt his chances had it not been for Rosalina. It looks like Sakurai is happy to take Mario back to being a five-slot series, so there's every chance the same will happen to Pokemon.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Fist off at least we saw Lucario and not Jigglypuff, I don't really want to see Jigglypuff return if they could possibly maybe replace him with Zoroark, which I think is still a possibility.

Either way my point is it would of sucked seeing Jigglypuff revealed today and I'm glad it was Lucario.

Yeah, I was hoping to see Mewtwo back in October, they're kind of running late with the Pokémon and hopefully they finish up the Zelda characters so they can focus more on the Pokémon, just saying the Zelda roster is still unfinished and it would be nice to see it completed.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Fist off at least we saw Lucario and not Jigglypuff, I don't really want to see Jigglypuff return if they could possibly maybe replace him with Zoroark, which I think is still a possibility.

Either way my point is it would of sucked seeing Jigglypuff revealed today and I'm glad it was Lucario.

Yeah, I was hoping to see Mewtwo back in October, they're kind of running late with the Pokémon and hopefully they finish up the Zelda characters so they can focus more on the Pokémon, just saying the Zelda roster is still unfinished and it would be nice to see it completed.
No Jiggles has to return. There is no reason to not have five poke reps.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
No Jiggles has to return. There is no reason to not have five poke reps.
I totally agree that Pokémon, like Mario and Zelda has to five reps because it's the third biggest Nintendo series, but I still think Jigglypuff can be replaced with a better Pokémon.

In other words Jigglypuff doesn't have to return, because there will be something better in it's place.

Unlike Mewtwo and the trainer in which are guaranteed.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Lucario doesn't hurt Mewtwo at all, if Brawl's files are anything to go by they were never in direct competition with each other. Most of us expect both of them anyways.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
It probably would have hurt his chances had it not been for Rosalina. It looks like Sakurai is happy to take Mario back to being a five-slot series, so there's every chance the same will happen to Pokemon.
Uh, just because Sakurai is willing to raise the rep "cap" on one big series does not mean that the rest of the roster will expand in kind.

Now, I've been saying ever since Lucario's mega form was revealed that chances are we are getting 5 Pokemon reps: Brawl's reps plus Mewtwo. However, with Pokemon Trainer, that's 7 non-clone characters to create, which is an ordeal. I know it's hard to imagine anyone being cut, but always keep the possibility in mind.

Remember that Sakurai wants to try to preserve surprise with SSB4, and he had a perfectly reasonable, non-secret Pokemon veteran to reveal in Pokemon Trainer. However, instead of him, we got Lucario. I think that tells me that PT is not completed as of this moment, and is lower on the priority totem poll.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Lucario does not hurt mewtwo at all

Reminder of all of the other evidence before lucario was confirmed

Exspecially the part of sakurai saying we are considering mewtwo

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure Lucario doesn't hurt Mewtwo; in fact, I'm sure it's the opposite. Lucario helps Mewtwo.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Uh, just because Sakurai is willing to raise the rep "cap" on one big series does not mean that the rest of the roster will expand in kind.
You make it sound like I was making a prediction. I wasn't. All I'm saying is that now we have a series going back up to five slots, and the possibility for more to follow is open.

Now, I've been saying ever since Lucario's mega form was revealed that chances are we are getting 5 Pokemon reps: Brawl's reps plus Mewtwo. However, with Pokemon Trainer, that's 7 non-clone characters to create, which is an ordeal. I know it's hard to imagine anyone being cut, but always keep the possibility in mind.
I don't think that's likely. Jigglypuff and Pokemon Trainer both have strong foundations for staying. Jigglypuff obviously has her perfect attendance to maintain. Cutting Pokemon Trainer is the equivalent of cutting three characters, each with their own unique moveset and playstyle and (of clear importance to Sakurai) their "own set of fans out there who really like that character." I don't think he'd really jump at the idea of losing either of them.

Remember that Sakurai wants to try to preserve surprise with SSB4, and he had a perfectly reasonable, non-secret Pokemon veteran to reveal in Pokemon Trainer. However, instead of him, we got Lucario. I think that tells me that PT is not completed as of this moment, and is lower on the priority totem poll.
Perhaps Lucario is part of the starting roster this time, and Pokemon Trainer is a hidden character. We don't know. Perhaps Pokemon Trainer is not completed yet - as you said, he's three characters worth of work. But that doesn't make him a lower priority.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I totally agree that Pokémon, like Mario and Zelda has to five reps because it's the third biggest Nintendo series, but I still think Jigglypuff can be replaced with a better Pokémon.

In other words Jigglypuff doesn't have to return, because there will be something better in it's place.

Unlike Mewtwo and the trainer in which are guaranteed.
I don't really see why they would. Jiggles is one of the original smashers and was a very well known gen 1 pokemon.

Being in two games makes it so its VERY unlikely to be cut and being in three makes it impossible to cut.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
JIgglypuff is also a normal/fairy so it could rep the new type with a few fairy moves.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Exactly this, considering the number of Pokemon reps is usually equals to the number of Mario reps in the smash games.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Exactly this, considering the number of Pokemon reps is usually equals to the number of Mario reps in the smash games.
Eh...

SSB: Mario - 2, Pokémon - 2
Melee: Mario - 5, Pokémon - 4
Brawl: (Characters) Mario - 4, Pokémon - 6
(Slots) Mario - 4, Pokémon - 4
Planned for Brawl: Mario - 5, Pokémon - at least 7, possibly 9.

The number of Mario and Pokémon characters is hardly ever the same, and they are not under any obligation to keep them equal. A larger number for Pokémon is justified because of the huge number of Pokémon out there.

D

Deleted member

I feel in lists like that, Yoshi and Wario should be included as well, given that they're essentially Mario characters while they're not at the same time.

Donkey Kong is give or take.

Miko

Smash Cadet
Semi-relevant as to whether we can expect more than Pika/Lucario + Puff/Mewtwo reasonably, especially since the confirmed mario-universe characters for ssb4 are:

Mario, Luigi, Peach, DK, Rosalina, Bowser? And that's just confirmed as-of-now

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Being in arguments with people who think Mewtwo has no chance now and would just be a clone of Lucario is the worst thing ever. It's like, have you payed attention to every Mewtwo has going for him?

Don't get me started on people think Mewtwo would be a Lucario clone.....

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Unless Lucario isn't unlockable?....
Toon Link tho.
And I don't know why everyone tries to pass normally unlockable characters off as "possibly unlockable".
I've heard it for everyone revealed thus far, even Luigi, which is idiotic.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I wouldn't mind if pika, pkmn trainer, and lucario were starters while Jiggs and mewtwo are unlockable

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Toon Link tho.
And I don't know why everyone tries to pass normally unlockable characters off as "possibly unlockable".
I've heard it for everyone revealed thus far, even Luigi, which is idiotic.
Well seeing that there will be 10+ new characters, it is possible that some old unlockable characters won't be unlockable.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who doesnt care who is or isnt unlockable? Don't we have the whole roster unlocked in the first day anyway?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
But Luigi and Toon Link should be considered definite unlockables.
Lucario is expendable though.
I can see Luigi since he has always been unlockable. Toon Link could go either way I think.

On the topic of the thread I think Mewtwo and Jiggs would be the unlockable Pkm reps.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I can see Luigi since he has always been unlockable. Toon Link could go either way I think.

On the topic of the thread I think Mewtwo and Jiggs would be the unlockable Pkm reps.
I agree on the two unlockable Pokémon reps.
Although two Links from the beginning is strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom