• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
The irony of all this is that Pichu's base speed is 60, but it outruns Mewtwo in Melee.

Anyway, Mewtwo's 130 base speed in the RPGs doesn't mean that it should be a fast character. After all, Charizard is a sluggish walker in Brawl. But I do think that Mewtwo's running speed should get a buff.
Yup.

I mean if we based pokemon in smash off of their stats in game then Pikachu would drop down to Ganon tier.

I don't really care what they do with mewtwo just as long as they bring him back and not have him be mewtwo x.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Never did like the whole Femtwo transforming at will thing since it goes completely against how mega-evolution is supposed to work in the games. Have megaforms as a final smash (if at all) ? Fine, but not as a down special please.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I figured that one was chalked up to different scientists making a different Mewtwo, as well as a way to differentiate from Kanto Mewtwo. Plus it played with the whole "Mewtwo is so powerful it doesn't need a Mega Stone" thing.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Or perhaps it was because the movie was made before the mechanics of Mega-eveolving was disclosed, so the creators took some "artistic liberates" like how just about every Pokemon movie has?

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
I'd like a form change thingy

And fireblast, thunderbolt, and psystrike in his moveset. Not crappy, weak same type moves lol

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Being over 100% damage no longer lengthens your ledge-get-up animations.

No more David Bowie walk ;_;

Miko

Smash Cadet
lol been real inactive for a while but this thread hasn't o.o but for the current topic of convo, Mewtwo defo needs a speed buff - if you're gonna have Mewtwo (which SSB4 SHOULD) then you need to be able to zip around stage on ground//in the air/with up-b, and also because of how mewtwo moves his max airspeed should match his runspeed, which would be below falcon/sonic/fox/mk? but he should be fast

also I'm sure we've already agreed on this but he needs to be heavier; if you think a floaty/fast/heavy character sounds OP, reducing the killpower of his moves would balance him, since he didn't have brilliant gimping options anyway

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Mega Mewtwo Y had more promotion so I think they might use that one.

Then again Mega Mewtwo X is like huge, that thing has got to be over 8 feet tall since Mewtwo's original ht is 6'0, I would prefer to see this tbh.

The only thing I hate about Mega Mewtwo X is Mega Gardevoir can Moonblast him to death, stupid fighting dual typing.

Cpt.

Smash Lord

Then again Mega Mewtwo X is like huge, that thing has got to be over 8 feet tall since Mewtwo's original ht is 6'0, I would prefer to see this tbh.

The only thing I hate about Mega Mewtwo X is Mega Gardevoir can Moonblast him to death, stupid fighting dual typing.
I just think Mewtwo Y should be his final smash because X looks stupid and isn't very Mewtwo like. hack cough....fighting type.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Typically, being a big target is bad, so with Mega Mewtwo Y being smaller in height (possibly rivaling Peach's height, at best), it'll at least get past one issue that the normal Mewtwo has to cope with.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Mewtwo X is 7'07'' actually, while normal Mewtwo is 6'07'', so it only grows by like 1 ft. After seeing it mega-volve in action though you'd think it would've grown by at least 2 ft. And for weight comparison, it goes from 269 lbs to 280 lbs after mega-volving into MMX.

Eh, at least Xtwo doesn't have a 4x weakness, and Mewtwo X can easily Poison Jab Mega Gardevoir to death and is a lot faster, so not much of a comparison there.

Typically, being a big target is bad
So you wouldn't use Rosalina then? :smirk: Because she's freaking tall.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
So long as Rosalina is being mentioned-

Today's update makes me hopeful that Confusion has either been replaced to avoid similarities to this move, or buffed to be on par with it.

Staarih

Smash Master
So I had a thought of the Mega evolutions because I personally would like to be able to play as Mega Mewtwo X/Y as well as the normal one, but having the transformation as a Down + B special or whatever would perhaps be a bit silly, as that's really not how easily it happens in the games (but sure, it does happen like so in the movie and Smash Bros tends to follow the anime when it comes to Pokémon). The Mega evolutions are supposed to have some different attributes as well, because their stats are higher, so wouldn't it be funny if you could just change from normal Mewtwo into a stronger Mega Mewtwo at will? Assuming they want to keep it like that.

So, what I was thinking is that what if the Mega evolutions occur only when Mewtwo has taken a specific amount of damage? I don't really know what the limit would be but let's say Mewtwo has taken 100% damage. At this point, it would have the option to Mega evolve, making its attacks, speed and whatnot stronger to counter the opponents who are trying to send it flying. I don't really know much of the competitive scene, if something like this would be broken, or the technical side (how this would work), but just a thought I had. If Lucario is in, something similar could happen to him.

...or then just some Mega Stone item?

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
First off I totally agree with @ Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime Mewtwo X being big wouldn't be a bad thing, besides if it's a final smash, it's likely you won't be able to even damage it, in fact if you tried punching Mewtwo X you'd look like Ash trying to punch Mewtwo in Pokémon The First Movie.​

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
So I had a thought of the Mega evolutions because I personally would like to be able to play as Mega Mewtwo X/Y as well as the normal one, but having the transformation as a Down + B special or whatever would perhaps be a bit silly, as that's really not how easily it happens in the games (but sure, it does happen like so in the movie and Smash Bros tends to follow the anime when it comes to Pokémon). The Mega evolutions are supposed to have some different attributes as well, because their stats are higher, so wouldn't it be funny if you could just change from normal Mewtwo into a stronger Mega Mewtwo at will? Assuming they want to keep it like that.

IIRC, MM X is slower and MM Y has less defense so it can be balanced out

Morbi

Scavenger
I would honestly prefer if Mega Mewtwo Y was just a Final Smash. That is what I wanted when I first joined, and nothing has really changed. I suppose we figured out that it was a temporary transformation. I remember when everyone wanted Mega Mewtwo Y playable because they thought it was Mewthree. :urg:

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
I'm just curious, what's the whole theory behind there being two Mewtwos? Don't they use different voice for the English and Japanese versions of the movie? Most of the time? I think there's a legit answer but I just don't know.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm just curious, what's the whole theory behind there being two Mewtwos? Don't they use different voice for the English and Japanese versions of the movie? Most of the time? I think there's a legit answer but I just don't know.
There are two Mewtwos, in the anime, at least. The new Mewtwo has female voices in both versions. The anime also has Pikachu one-shotting Ground-Types and plenty of other bull****, so, whatever. The first Mewtwo resolved his hatred of humanity and other creatures, so I guess they thought it would be weird for him to come back and...

Look, I don't know. The anime and movies are garbage. There is only one Mewtwo. There will always be only one Mewtwo.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
There are two Mewtwos, in the anime, at least. The new Mewtwo has female voices in both versions. The anime also has Pikachu one-shotting Ground-Types and plenty of other bull****, so, whatever. The first Mewtwo resolved his hatred of humanity and other creatures, so I guess they thought it would be weird for him to come back and...

Look, I don't know. The anime and movies are garbage. There is only one Mewtwo. There will always be only one Mewtwo.
Thanks for clearing that up. The game is canon so I'll use that for this thread. If they bring him back, do you think his moveset and player speed will change at all? In the pokemon games he has base 130 speed (which is a **** ton if you don't know). So do you think he'll be faster in this game at all or will it stay like melee? If not, I'm assuming high speeds from psychic and ghost pokemon would be from teleporting, which was Mewtwo's up-special. For example: Gengar and Alakazam have very high speeds, and they can both teleport and disappear. I think he'll keep shadow ball and mostly the same stuff, although I really see the Mega form as a final smash, possibly with psystrike. Like he turns into Mega Mewtwo Y and uses psystrike on everyone or some players, then he turns back to regular Mewtwo. I imagine psystrike to be locked on to certain people, like this.

I'm sure they'll keep him holding the weapons with his powers as well. I'm sure Mewtwo could have changed moves, like with Kirby's running dash from melee to brawl. I don't really see any reason why they wouldn't put him back.
Do I really need to remind everyone that mega evolutions are not unstoppable?
The Mewtwo megas have the highest base stat total in the game, which is 780. They are the strongest pokemons in the game. They're insanely hard to kill unless you have something with insane defense, Giratina and Lugia are popular legendary tanks. And not to mention their speed. But yes, they're just REALLY HARD to stop, like how you can dodge final smashes and possibly survive them.

Being a final smash makes the most sense. Similar to the concept of Wario Man.
This also works instead of him JUST using psystrike, and he can just have more powerful moves, one of which is psystrike. I'm assuming he'll evolve into the Y form.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Lucario confirmed.

This pretty much means that if Mewtwo is in Sakurai is absolutely not going to reveal him before release.

Short of leaks, we have a long time to wait.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I have few doubts about Mewtwo. I think we can be fairly confident of his return.

I imagine that porting Lucario from Brawl would take much less work than essentially rebuilding a character from the ground up, even if they had an existing moveset.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
But nobody is being "ported."

Every character is being rebuilt from the ground up, the only time-saver being that some of them are veterans and have their movesets already conceived-of, barring balancing changes.

To hype the populace, you must give them hope. To have hope, you must first introduce doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
But nobody is being "ported."

Every character is being rebuilt from the ground up, the only time-saver being that some of them are veterans and have their movesets already conceived-of, barring balancing changes.
Wondering where it's said that everyone is being built from the ground up...I'm hearing conflicting stories about characters being ported and adjusted and characters being built from ground-up.

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
I wish I could say I'm hyped/interested in Smash 4, but the reality is... I'm literally incapable of caring about the game in even the most infinitesimally small way until Mewtwo is revealed.

That's all I want... ALL I freaking want is for Mewtwo to be playable.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I wish I could say I'm hyped/interested in Smash 4, but the reality is... I'm literally incapable of caring about the game in even the most infinitesimally small way until Mewtwo is revealed.

That's all I want... ALL I freaking want is for Mewtwo to be playable.
And then Sakurai reveals that the only character is Mewtwo and there is only one stage, one mode, and one setting. That is all that you wanted right?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Lucario confirmed.

This pretty much means that if Mewtwo is in Sakurai is absolutely not going to reveal him before release.

Short of leaks, we have a long time to wait.
Way to hype the game poorly then if that's the case, my gosh.

That story/link you posted intrigued me even more than Lucario's return by the way.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
You know, the fact that Mewtwo is put back into the spotlight this generation makes me a bit jaded because the time to do it would have been during Black and White. The reason for this is because Team Plasma, though they were ultimately faking, are a Pokemon rights group. In the anime, the only previous times in which the subject of Pokemon freedom is brought up that I can think of is with Mewtwo. Also, since Mewtwo is implied to be watching over a city like a vigilante or something, it would make sense to reveal his new home to be Unova. Then you could have had a thing where he allies with Team Plasma for a bit until he learns they're hypocrites, but ultimately befriends N because he's a true believer, etc, etc.

Missed opportunity, in my book. The fact that they're finally bringing Mewtwo back this generation as an entirely separate character just makes me think it was a thoughtless marketing decision. "Welp, we need a 'face' for the new generation. I know, just redesign Mewtwo, and give some reason for it to be in current events. The kids will love it, and the old fans will love it. DOUBLE DOLLARS."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom