• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Saw it earlier. Didn't really care for it much like I thought I would.

So apparently Darkrai, Manaphy, Victini, and Jirachi are also featured in the upcoming movie... What does that say for the Mewtwo's I wonder? No way all of these legendaries or megaforms are gonna get equally decent screen time.
Wait, does that mean that Max has a chance of returning?! All aboard the hype train!

Steelia

Smash Champion
So apparently Darkrai, Manaphy, Victini, and Jirachi are also featured in the upcoming movie... What does that say for the Mewtwo's I wonder? No way all of these legendaries or megaforms are gonna get equally decent screen time.
Upcoming special attached to the movie. Think Pikachu's Summer Vacation. Darkrai is such a random choice to be featured with the Mew knock-offs... Not that I mind, he's pretty awesome.

Still, if the movie poster is any indication, we're going to be seeing a lot of Mega Evos. Good chance a majority of them will end up being simple cameos to focus on Ash and company, and the X&Y mascot legendaries.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ah. Figured I may have missed a little detail or somethin there, but yeah. Agree on Darkrai. Half of my like for it though may be just based on its involvement with Mewtwo in the manga. :p

Yep... Not the kind of start I was hoping for for Mewtwo X in the anime universe, but at least it's something I guess.

Don't get too carried away Scatman. lol

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ah. Figured I may have missed a little detail or somethin there, but yeah. Agree on Darkrai. Half of my like for it though may be just based on its involvement with Mewtwo in the manga. :p

Yep... Not the kind of start I was hoping for for Mewtwo X in the anime universe, but at least it's something I guess.

Don't get too carried away Scatman. lol
And I think the true mewtwo has the X form (the one from the first movie in my opinion anyway)

I'm not sure if we get a male voice for ssb4 but who know who will be mewtwos 3rd male voice (I believe both Philip bartlett and Dan green are dead so we need a 3rd male voice actor)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Dan Green's not dead, just retired I believe, but yeah.

D

Deleted member

Considering that Mega Mewtwo Y is smaller in size, a weight reduction would also have to be expected; it only weighs 72.8 lbs..
I would hope that it would mean regular Mewtwo wasn't as light as it was in Melee.
If Mewtwo was heavier while MMY was the Melee weight, that'd be alright.

Dan Green's not dead, just retired I believe, but yeah.
I don't think he's retired as much as it is that he can't find that much VO work in New York since 4kids shut down.

Steelia

Smash Champion
(I believe both Philip bartlett and Dan green are dead so we need a 3rd male voice actor)
Dan Green's super-retired. I think he stopped va'ing after his wife died...? A little shaky on the details. But it was something pretty sad :( More power to the dude, he's a good va. Doesn't really change his voice enough to sound different with each char he plays, but good nonetheless.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Saw it earlier. Didn't really care for it much like I thought I would.

No Celebi to go with the psychic mini's. :(

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Dan Green's super-retired. I think he stopped va'ing after his wife died...? A little shaky on the details. But it was something pretty sad :( More power to the dude, he's a good va. Doesn't really change his voice enough to sound different with each char he plays, but good nonetheless.
Yeah, his wife died after giving birth to twins, so he retired to take care of them. :(
Manaphy is not Psychic, but Mew who is Psychic is not in it. :p

Another reason why I think MMX should be the final smash if a mega form is the final smash is because if Mewtwo retains all his moves from Melee, most attacks are physical anyways.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't think he's retired as much as it is that he can't find that much VO work in New York since 4kids shut down.
From what I remember he decided to retire after his wife died during childbirth. The 4kids thing may have contributed too though.

edit: Ninja'd apparently. When you going back with Entei?

Kinda makes Darkrai an even more odd choice then, but whatever. Guess maybe they figured Celebi would get enough love with the Pokemon Bank distribution.

Another reason why I think MMX should be the final smash if a mega form is the final smash is because if Mewtwo retains all his moves from Melee, most attacks are physical anyways.
This is true. With the increase in physical powah from MMX, even the tail whips wouldn't be a laughing matter so much as they were in Melee.

Whereas with MMY, if Mewtwo retains all of the moves from Melee, the Y form would only just... make Confusion and the throws stronger? And maybe Shadow Ball a little too, but most of Smash Mewtwo's attacks are indeed physical.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
What if it as simple as pressing X to turn into MMX or press Y to turn into MMY (if you have the smash ball)?
I don't really know how Sakurai thinks as he decides to create, nerf, and just do strange things to many characters and this would fit his quirky attitude.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
As someone who hasn't played alot of Melee, would you prefer if Mewtwo came back as the same from his Melee state? Or have him completely revamped (With or without the Mega-evolution gimmick).

From what I've heard, it may be a good idea to back to the drawing board with this guy...

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I dunno. I can't find splash art of Yoshi or Mewtwo that looks like the icons on there. Fakers typically don't do that much of their own work.

But then again, if it was real, then why didn't the leaker select Yoshi and Mewtwo at the time to remove any doubt?

Anyway, we'll know soon enough, when Yoshi is revealed.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I dunno. I can't find splash art of Yoshi or Mewtwo that looks like the icons on there. Fakers typically don't do that much of their own work.

But then again, if it was real, then why didn't the leaker select Yoshi and Mewtwo at the time to remove any doubt?

Anyway, we'll know soon enough, when Yoshi is revealed.
It lacks Wario and fancier background. In the past games, they had things going on in the background. Here, it is just plain white. Plus I believe I've seen that art of Yoshi somewhere...could be wrong.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
What if it as simple as pressing X to turn into MMX or press Y to turn into MMY (if you have the smash ball)?
I like this idea!

How about if you turn into MMX then your A attacks get stronger and higher wieght
MMY will have stronger B attacks with more speed like shadow ball charging faster and less wieght.

This way you could stragize with your Final Smash.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
All good ideas, except I don't see how Disable would be made stronger by the Y form, unless the move's temporarily given better range and the time of the move's effect lasts longer or something during the final smash, and teleport is a non-damaging move period (though good as a recovery), so can't really improve upon that far as existing B attacks go. Most of Mewtwo's throws are special/telekinetic though, so MMY could make those stronger too at least.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
How you could increase the specials power: Shadow Ball charges faster, goes faster, and hits harder. Confusion does more damage and reflects properly. Teleport can be used twice before he goes helpless. Disable stuns longer, has more range, and they don't have to be facing you.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd more prefer it if most of Mewtwo's specials got altered...

standard - Aura Sphere: Mewtwo will charge up an energy orb, which gains power the longer it's held. Mega Mewtwo Y's version is stronger in power, but doesn't travel as far.

side - Psycho Cut: Mewtwo fires blades made of psychic energy that it can charge up. Mega Mewtwo Y's version is stronger, along with having a larger hitbox, but it doesn't travel as far.

up - Teleport: Same as in Melee. Mega Mewtwo Y's version creates an explosion upon reappearing, giving it some offensive purposes.

down - Mega Evolution: Mewtwo changes into Mega Mewtwo Y. If Mega Mewtwo Y uses this move, it'll revert back to its original state.

Final Smash - Psystrike: Mewtwo releases an odd power which damages all within its attack range. Mega Mewtwo Y's version is more powerful, but its attack range is much shorter.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Lucario already has Aura Sphere, Psycho Cut is a physical move and thus more MMX's territory, and the down special idea I'd only support if it could turn into the X form as well (three different playstyles in one character basically like Pokemon Trainer). Otherwise no dice.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lucario already has Aura Sphere, Psycho Cut is a physical move and thus more MMX's territory, and the down special idea I'd only support if it could turn into the X form as well (three different playstyles in one character basically like Pokemon Trainer). Otherwise no dice.
Have you seen Mega Mewtwo Y's base Attack? Sure it's not Mega Mewtwo X level, but a base 150 Attack is still nothing to laugh at.

So what's the downside of not spamming MMY?
Mega Mewtwo Y would be much lighter, and more floaty as well. That makes it much more vulnerable to being KO'd at low damage percentages, despite being a smaller target.

Mewtwo Pros: Well balanced on offense and defense. Moderately heavy.

Mewtwo Cons: Big target. On the slow side. Floaty.

Mega Mewtwo Y Pros: Smaller target. Offensive attacks are stronger. Faster ground speed.

Mega Mewtwo Y Cons: Quite light. Very floaty. Shield is much less resilient to attacks, and shrinks faster. Attacks that don't involve the use of ESP powers are exceedingly weak.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wasn't quite my point, though the same can be said about Mewtwo X's base special attack, in that it's no laughing matter either.

Regardless, if I know Sakurai as well as I think I do, Mewtwo's moves are not gonna be overhauled/redone as much as some of you hope.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
So his tilts,uair,bair and I'm not sure about dair,I thinks thats with his foot though.

One of Mewtwo taunts should be recover.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Aside from being a "either give it both megaforms in Sm4sh or none at all" type of fan, I agree. MMY by its lonesome would still feel like a downgrade in the physical department, especially when it comes to tail attacks if it were to have any, by using the tail on its.. head... which would look kinda ridiculous animation-wise.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
MewtwoMaster2000 has a video with MMY skinned over regular M2. It is not impossible or that awkward looking, but I admit that it is awkward when thinking about the moves that go with it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'd more prefer it if most of Mewtwo's specials got altered...

standard - Aura Sphere: Mewtwo will charge up an energy orb, which gains power the longer it's held. Mega Mewtwo Y's version is stronger in power, but doesn't travel as far.

side - Psycho Cut: Mewtwo fires blades made of psychic energy that it can charge up. Mega Mewtwo Y's version is stronger, along with having a larger hitbox, but it doesn't travel as far.

up - Teleport: Same as in Melee. Mega Mewtwo Y's version creates an explosion upon reappearing, giving it some offensive purposes.

down - Mega Evolution: Mewtwo changes into Mega Mewtwo Y. If Mega Mewtwo Y uses this move, it'll revert back to its original state.

Final Smash - Psystrike: Mewtwo releases an odd power which damages all within its attack range. Mega Mewtwo Y's version is more powerful, but its attack range is much shorter.
my toughts

standard: ok why on earth would you replace mewtwos shadow ball move with the move lucario has (besides both highly possible of getting in so they both can't have the same move)

Side: I agree indeed the only hold back is that he could fix the confusion move to be more accurate but I still support psycho cut big time

Up agreed

Down : I see you have not heard of mewtwo x changes his moves to fighting ones more ideal (by the way all of the Y stuff could be changed to X)

Final Smash I would absolutely agree with his signature move for his final smash the only hold back is the other mega evolution form if down special is transform to one of them

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For the record I would much rather Mewtwo's Mega Evo be his Final Smash rather than his Down-Special.
I kind of think that a mega evolution Final Smash would be Lucario's department, seeing as Mega Lucario's ability is Adaptability. Mega Mewtwo Y isn't necessarily stronger than normal Mewtwo when you take into account things like the Life Orb and Choice Specs.

Also, Mewtwo being able to mega evolve at will does reference the Mewtwo from the Genesect movie.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
If referencing the movies was par for the course, we'd have had Mecha Mewtwo armor in Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom