• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind, but I don't find it likely.
And I would prefer Jiggs as a starter actually.
Yeah pikachu, Jiggs and poke trainer make sense as starters but jigglypuff is part of the original hidden 4 and it would be weird although didn't they make ness and falcon starters, so it could go either way

I totally agree that Pokémon, like Mario and Zelda has to five reps because it's the third biggest Nintendo series, but I still think Jigglypuff can be replaced with a better Pokémon.

In other words Jigglypuff doesn't have to return, because there will be something better in it's place.

Unlike Mewtwo and the trainer in which are guaranteed.
That's debatable, I actually like jiggs more than zoroark although I would rather have genesect than it

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
People, please, this is the Mewtwo thread. If you want to argue about things that are not Mewtwo-related, find another thread to discuss such matters.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord

Mewtwo's anime theme is very rousing.

Shame it would never be used in Smash.

And that SSB4 wouldn't have a story mode for it to be used in anyway.

;_;

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962

Mewtwo's anime theme is very rousing.

Shame it would never be used in Smash.

And that SSB4 wouldn't have a story mode for it to be used in anyway.

;_;
That song was used in western releases outside of Japan though...not sure if used in other Asian countries...

D

Deleted member

I have to say, I was really depressed when Lucario was revealed on the Smashbros site. Do you think this is hurting Mewtwo's chances of making it into the game, or is it just me being overly paranoid and that his chances to make it in are solid?

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I have to say, I was really depressed when Lucario was revealed on the Smashbros site. Do you think this is hurting Mewtwo's chances of making it into the game, or is it just me being overly paranoid and that his chances to make it in are solid?
I think it helps more than anything, he obviously recognizes what mega evolution did for these pokemon mainly mewtwo

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Well, I personally hoped that Mewtwo would be revealed before the game's release in order to build hype.

At the same time, however, Sakurai would want to keep a tight lid on some characters to preserve the surprise.

Lucario being revealed makes me suspect that Mewtwo will be kept secret, because otherwise we'd only have Jigglypuff as the unrevealed unlockable Pokemon rep (woop dee doo how suprising).

D

Deleted member

I think it helps more than anything, he obviously recognizes what mega evolution did for these pokemon mainly mewtwo
Bringing up Mega Evolution is a good point. Mewtwo's Mega Evolution was the very first one shown to the world.

Staarih

Smash Master
Well, I personally hoped that Mewtwo would be revealed before the game's release in order to build hype.
I have a feeling Mewtwo might still be revealed before the game's release - can you imagine the hype it would create? It would be super crazy, and really help sell the game (which is needed for the Wii U). If they kept Mewtwo hidden until after the game's release, it wouldn't really help much even if it was to be a really pleasant surprise. It's one of the big characters, like Ridley, who would create major hype and should be revealed before the game's release imo (like at E3 or something).

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Ah, but you need a few big, crazy characters to be kept secret.

If you open all your presents before Christmas day, you wind up with an underwhelming Christmas.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
As popular as Mewtwo is and as much as I love him, I doubt his reveal will have a significant impact on how much the game or the console sells...

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Well, the matter of his inclusion certainly affects whether or not I'll be buying a Wii U.

But reveal or no reveal, I'm not buying until I see the full roster.

Kind of sad, really. Sakurai was disappointed after Brawl that he had revealed so much and what secrets were left were spread through the internet so quickly, so now he's taking care to keep more surprises. But then there are people like me, who are only going to buy the game in the first place after they've already seen everything!

He can't win on a personal level either way.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I see Mewtwo as Godzilla.

If you **** with him, he will wreck your ****. If you leave him alone, he'll be content to sleep or train in his cave, wherever that may be.

However, if the Pokemon World was in danger of being utterly destroyed, I do believe that Mewtwo would fight (savagely) to protect it. I think, more than anything, Mewtwo wants to be left alone and to be in peace. However, when brought into a fighting-oriented environment (like Smash), he becomes very cruel and unforgiving, because, as we all know, "It stays still to conserve energy for worthy opponents" and "It has the most savage heart among all Pokemon".

So, yes and no. He serves as a villain in the Smash environment because he is very antagonistic in nature, looks villainous, and also serves as an over-arching villain to a series that doesn't have one. In his own environment, however, he's obviously quite fine just sitting in a cave and contemplating his existence.

As popular as Mewtwo is and as much as I love him, I doubt his reveal will have a significant impact on how much the game or the console sells...
Mewtwo is the most highly requested character worldwide. I think his inclusion will boost sales considerably, especially for whiny little 4chan babies.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
If he can affect suicide rates, he can affect sales.
I didn't say it won't have an impact. I said it wouldn't have a significant impact. What I really meant was while there are people who will buy it just for Mewtwo, I doubt it will turn it around enough so that analysts don't consider it a failure.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
So? For starters, there's a large class of people who will be buying SSB4 no matter what.

Other than that, it takes the attraction of a variety of smaller demographics and fanbases to make SSB4 the smashing success Nintendo wants, nay, needs it to be. No one character is going to make huge waves, but instead the roster viewed as a whole is what will make or break the game with people who are buying based mostly on playable characters. You need a combination of a lot good picks. Mewtwo is one of those good picks.

Sakurai just announce him soon, so people will shut the **** up
Did that stop Lucario fans?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I see Mewtwo as Godzilla.

If you **** with him, he will wreck your ****. If you leave him alone, he'll be content to sleep or train in his cave, wherever that may be.

However, if the Pokemon World was in danger of being utterly destroyed, I do believe that Mewtwo would fight (savagely) to protect it. I think, more than anything, Mewtwo wants to be left alone and to be in peace. However, when brought into a fighting-oriented environment (like Smash), he becomes very cruel and unforgiving, because, as we all know, "It stays still to conserve energy for worthy opponents" and "It has the most savage heart among all Pokemon".

So, yes and no. He serves as a villain in the Smash environment because he is very antagonistic in nature, looks villainous, and also serves as an over-arching villain to a series that doesn't have one. In his own environment, however, he's obviously quite fine just sitting in a cave and contemplating his existence.

Mewtwo is the most highly requested character worldwide. I think his inclusion will boost sales considerably, especially for whiny little 4chan babies.
I agree. It seems to me like Mewtwo is good, just misunderstood.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
So? For starters, there's a large class of people who will be buying SSB4 no matter what.

Other than that, it takes the attraction of a variety of smaller demographics and fanbases to make SSB4 the smashing success Nintendo wants, nay, needs it to be. No one character is going to make huge waves, but instead the roster viewed as a whole is what will make or break the game with people who are buying based mostly on playable characters.
That's basically what I have been trying to say. One character by himself or herself won't change many people's minds about whether they are getting a Wii U and the game or not. Whether Mewtwo makes it in or not, most people who would already be getting the game already have other characters they want to play as. If Mewtwo doesn't make it in, there might be some people who won't get the game just because of that. However, it's still not that big of an impact when there are already many other characters. While it might have some impact on sales, it's not a significant impact. It will probably still sell just because it's Smash Bros.

Maybe more people will buy Wii U when Smash comes out; maybe they won't. I doubt one character will change the sales of the console or the game that significantly. It's not like it will succeed if he makes it in or fails if he doesn't.

And in regards to whether Mewtwo is inherently evil or good, I think he is missing a "heart", but can turn good if caught by a good trainer. So he can be either bad or good depending on how the player plays the game and views Mewtwo.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I'm just saying that doesn't make him any less important.

Take Ganondorf or Mr. Game & Watch, for example. If they were cut, would the Smash series really suffer in any financial sense? Not seriously, despite how many complaints there might be. However, to the casual viewer, and indeed to any viewer, the game as a whole would seem less colorful or impressive, and that does effect sales and reviews.

A framed puzzle will not fall apart if pieces are taken away, but remove even a few and the image begins to disappear.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
Well, the matter of his inclusion certainly affects whether or not I'll be buying a Wii U.

But reveal or no reveal, I'm not buying until I see the full roster.

Kind of sad, really. Sakurai was disappointed after Brawl that he had revealed so much and what secrets were left were spread through the internet so quickly, so now he's taking care to keep more surprises. But then there are people like me, who are only going to buy the game in the first place after they've already seen everything!

He can't win on a personal level either way.
Pretty much my case, If Mewtwo is left out, I'll just buy the 3DS version.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'm just saying that doesn't make him any less important.

Take Ganondorf or Mr. Game & Watch, for example. If they were cut, would the Smash series really suffer in any financial sense? Not seriously, despite how many complaints there might be. However, to the casual viewer, and indeed to any viewer, the game as a whole would seem less colorful or impressive, and that does effect sales and reviews.

A framed puzzle will not fall apart if pieces are taken away, but remove even a few and the image begins to disappear.
Depends on how casual the viewer is as well. I'm sure there are plenty of younger casual players who were not born with Melee, so it won't affect them much as long as they see Pikachu and Mario. I wasn't even 10 when 64 came out, so I got it to use Pikachu to beat up other Nintendo characters. When Melee came out and I found out Mewtwo was playable, I thought that was cool and wanted to get it. At the time, it wouldn't have mattered if I saw Ganondorf or Game & Watch because I didn't really know them. I was about 10 or 11 when I got Melee.

I definitely agree that including Mewtwo again will be important enough for fans of the character, or of Pokemon in general could help boost sales a bit. It will definitely help with people who have played as early as Melee and didn't like seeing him cut out of Brawl. It just won't be that important to the most casual players who only get it for the mascots of their favorite franchises or those who don't care about the Pokemon characters in general. While it is definitely important for people attached to the character, as I said, it's not significantly important enough to make or break the game. I'm one of the people who thinks it would be important to bring Mewtwo back, but I know not everyone keeping track of the game feels the same attachment.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If anything, it helps more than hurting. Plus, we can get over the whole Lucario cut Mewtwo concept. I can see Mewtwo either being a secret unlockable wanting to be hidden until the game's announcement to surprise fans or E-3 to create some hype.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
And in regards to whether Mewtwo is inherently evil or good, I think he is missing a "heart", but can turn good if caught by a good trainer. So he can be either bad or good depending on how the player plays the game and views Mewtwo.
Yeah, Mewtwo's personality really starts to change one Stockholm Syndrome takes affect he starts to see the love and attention you've been giving him!

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Mewtwo's balls are uglier than Lucario's. I'm talking about their Neutral Specials,obviously. Ya sick ******** !
You take that back!

If anything, it helps more than hurting. Plus, we can get over the whole Lucario cut Mewtwo concept. I can see Mewtwo either being a secret unlockable wanting to be hidden until the game's announcement to surprise fans or E-3 to create some hype.
Yeah Lucario's doesn't really do anything to x Mewtwo.

Last edited:

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
Mewtwo's balls are uglier than Lucario's. I'm talking about their Neutral Specials,obviously. Ya sick ******** !
Mewtwo's Balls aren't "ugly" at all. It almost looks EXACTLY the same as aura sphere except it's purplish black. Yet the two of them are like completely different moves.

Aura Sphere: Special Fighting type move, base 80 power, never misses. Used by Lucario in Brawl.

Shadow Ball: Special Ghost type move, base 80 power, 100 accuracy but can miss if accuracy is lowered, 20% chance to lower target's special defense. Used by Mewtwo in melee.

I wrote this so people know the difference between the two if they already don't.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Mewtwo's Balls aren't "ugly" at all. It almost looks EXACTLY the same as aura sphere except it's purplish black. Yet the two of them are like completely different moves.

Aura Sphere: Special Fighting type move, base 80 power, never misses. Used by Lucario in Brawl.

Shadow Ball: Special Ghost type move, base 80 power, 100 accuracy but can miss if accuracy is lowered, 20% chance to lower target's special defense. Used by Mewtwo in melee.

I wrote this so people know the difference between the two if they already don't.
I was just joking.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Personally I think that Lucario's Aura Sphere is differentiated even further from Mewtwo's Shadow Ball in SSB4.
It has an incredibly unique design and I'm pretty sure it can grow slightly bigger than Mewtwo's Shadow Ball.
Not that two characters can't have a similar move anyway.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
Personally I think that Lucario's Aura Sphere is differentiated even further from Mewtwo's Shadow Ball in SSB4.
It has an incredibly unique design and I'm pretty sure it can grow slightly bigger than Mewtwo's Shadow Ball.
Not that two characters can't have a similar move anyway.
I saw the new aura sphere, it looks amazing. Hopefully they make aura sphere and shadow ball look very different. And add psystrike. :) :mewtwopm::lucario:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Do you guys see Mewtwo as an antagonist or protagonist?
In the Smash Bros. universe, I see him leaning more towards antagonistic, but not necessarily bad like Bowser or even Wario. One of his Japanese victory phrases from SSBM translates to "What am I doing here?" - the way he says this line, it sounds more like he's questioning his own life as opposed to expressing boredom on the battlefield. The whole "What is my purpose, why am I here?" thing from the 1st movie.

Whenever I refer to Mewtwo, it's usually grouping him with the villains, since he's one of the very few Pokemon that can be made to work in that group. It's not because I view him as evil, but because of his violent demeaner & cold personality.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I always considered Mewtwo a villain, but truthfully he's not.
I group him into that category because of his intimidating nature and relationship to Team Rocket, although Mewtwo doesn't really do much to deserve a villain label.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
In the Smash Bros. universe, I see him leaning more towards antagonistic, but not necessarily bad like Bowser or even Wario. One of his Japanese victory phrases from SSBM translates to "What am I doing here?" - the way he says this line, it sounds more like he's questioning his own life as opposed to expressing boredom on the battlefield. The whole "What is my purpose, why am I here?" thing from the 1st movie.

Whenever I refer to Mewtwo, it's usually grouping him with the villains, since he's one of the very few Pokemon that can be made to work in that group. It's not because I view him as evil, but because of his violent demeaner & cold personality.
Me too. A franchise as big as Pokémon deserves a villian rep in Smash Bros. Plus Sakurai considers him a villian just by looking at Melee's event matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom