• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessZelda19

Smash Cadet
They are roomers introducing Mewtwo as a newcomer but then MegaMan was introduce as a newcomer I don't care as long he is in the game lol

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
First at the end of the next newcomer vid you will hear his laugh that he does in his taunt for a while and then the vid ends.
Speculation arises for a couple months and at E3 the nintendo vid starts with laugh and Mewtwo battles.
I would love this actually. Way to get the speculation skyrocketing prior to Mewtwo's reveal, and all it would take is his laugh.

Gune

Smash Lord
They are roomers introducing Mewtwo as a newcomer but then MegaMan was introduce as a newcomer I don't care as long he is in the game lol
A newcomer you say? If thats the case he might just get a whole new revamped moveset, if he doesent then he doesent really deserve the title of newcomer.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Am I the only one who still thinks Mewtwo being shown or listed as a newcomer would be kinda silly and overdoing it for its return? I just don't see the sense in Mewtwo being treated as such when it's clearly not a new character.
I don't, his Mega Mewtwo thing, and him being highly requested kind of makes him Newcomer caliber.

They could call the trailer Mewtwo Returns, since well he is returning and there's a movie called Mewtwo Returns, unlike if they called it Mewtwo joins the battle, in which wouldn't make sense.

The thing is he's a Newcomer to the modern day roster, but he's a returning character from Melee's roster, I'm not sure, but I think returning characters, like Mewtwo could be considered Newcomers, especially if say he returns more powerful than ever with his Mega form.

TeamFlareZakk

I think Mewtwo can have a few types of attacks, in Melee he had Ghost and Psychic type moves, although I wish they would of maybe gave him a few of Mewtwo's moves from Pokémon Stadium, because that Mewtwo was a monster.

Can Mewtwo have Electroball?

I'd like to see him keep Shadow Ball.

He needs Psychic, Confusion is for Abras.

Psycho-Cut is another move I'd like to see.

He had Shadow Claw in Melee, but the legit Shadow Claw did not exist as a Pokémon move yet, I'd like them to keep it, but make the animation look more like the legit Shadow Claw.

In the Mega Mewtwo trailer, Mega Mewtwo Y was seen using Energy Ball.

Psystrike is Mewtwo's ultimate attack, I'd like to see this more involved with his final smash where he'd Megaa Evolve into Mega Mewtwo and you can control him and float around spamming Psytrike.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The Prima Official Strategy Guide listed the move as Shadow Claw. The description of the move was - "Mewtwo slashes forward with shadow energy."

Taj had Shadow Claw, and that's all that matters.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I wasn't aware that Prima is part of Nintendo let alone Melee's development....

....wait a minute.

Wasn't that the same guide that listed outdated information? I.e. Ditto being a Poke Ball summon?

And I suppose Daisy being Peach's cousin is canon since they mention that in their guide for Mario Kart Wii.
Among other oddities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
A newcomer you say? If thats the case he might just get a whole new revamped moveset, if he doesent then he doesent really deserve the title of newcomer.
This. 100% this.

I don't, his Mega Mewtwo thing, and him being highly requested kind of makes him Newcomer caliber.

They could call the trailer Mewtwo Returns, since well he is returning and there's a movie called Mewtwo Returns, unlike if they called it Mewtwo joins the battle, in which wouldn't make sense.

The thing is he's a Newcomer to the modern day roster, but he's a returning character from Melee's roster, I'm not sure, but I think returning characters, like Mewtwo could be considered Newcomers, especially if say he returns more powerful than ever with his Mega form.
Mewtwo shouldn't have to have its megaform as some kind of crutch in order to be "better", especially if the already revealed Lucario happens to not have its megaform in any part of its moveset.

What, call it Mewtwo Returns and not Mewtwo Strikes Back? For shame. :p

I think Mewtwo can have a few types of attacks, in Melee he had Ghost and Psychic type moves, although I wish they would of maybe gave him a few of Mewtwo's moves from Pokémon Stadium, because that Mewtwo was a monster.

Can Mewtwo have Electroball?

I'd like to see him keep Shadow Ball.

He needs Psychic, Confusion is for Abras.

Psycho-Cut is another move I'd like to see.

He had Shadow Claw in Melee, but the legit Shadow Claw did not exist as a Pokémon move yet, I'd like them to keep it, but make the animation look more like the legit Shadow Claw.

In the Mega Mewtwo trailer, Mega Mewtwo Y was seen using Energy Ball.

Psystrike is Mewtwo's ultimate attack, I'd like to see this more involved with his final smash where he'd Megaa Evolve into Mega Mewtwo and you can control him and float around spamming Psytrike.
When you say Mewtwo from Pokemon Stadium, you mean the boss Mewtwo? The main thing it had going for it was Amnesia, which was only great in gen 1. Wouldn't mind Mewtwo's boss music themes from the game being one of the many soundtracks added to SSB4 though.

It could have Electro Ball in theory, but wouldn't be necessary, especially if Pikachu happens to have it.

It does have Psychic, as a throw move. Agree on Psycho Cut. Shadow Claw, that aerial move? Yeah, keep that.

The rest I'm indifferent on.

Last edited:

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I kinda prefer Megalutions to either be a part of his specials, or to not be in at all.

Now with Giga-mac final Smash, I'm worried that there will be too many TF final smashes

Gune

Smash Lord
I kinda prefer Megalutions to either be a part of his specials, or to not be in at all.

Now with Giga-mac final Smash, I'm worried that there will be too many TF final smashes
I don't exactly expect mega evolutions to be a transformation but more of a cosmetic change when they do they're FS like Lucario going mega then using aura storm or Mewtwo going mega then using pysstrike.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I don't exactly expect mega evolutions to be a transformation but more of a cosmetic change when they do they're FS like Lucario going mega then using aura storm or Mewtwo going mega then using pysstrike.
This.

TeamFlareZakk

Oh, I wasn't aware that Prima is part of Nintendo let alone Melee's development....

....wait a minute.

Wasn't that the same guide that listed outdated information? I.e. Ditto being a Poke Ball summon?

And I suppose Daisy being Peach's cousin is canon since they mention that in their guide for Mario Kart Wii.
Among other oddities.
That was Official Nintendo Players Guide published by Nintendo Power that mentioned it being Shadow Claw
This is exactly what I'm expecting, like Aura Storm, Mewtwo turns into Mega Mewtwo Y and uses Psystrike.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Due to that, I'd rather just have Psystrike alone as a FS if anything rather than have any of that megaform stuff involved which has become an overused/overrated idea as is, like Ridley transforming into Meta-Ridley. If we get too many transformation final smashes it'll get old to me about as fast as the Landmasters.

D

Deleted member

Due to that, I'd rather just have Psystrike alone as a FS if anything rather than have any of that megaform stuff involved which has become an overused/overrated idea as is, like Ridley transforming into Meta-Ridley. If we get too many transformation final smashes it'll get old to me about as fast as the Landmasters.
To be fair, there isn't one that transforms into something smaller. :troll:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I want to see Mewtwo get a reveal cinematic and I want to see his newcomer "Poster."

But then I remember I will see neither because he will be kept secret.

:(

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
To be fair, there isn't one that transforms into something smaller. :troll:
That reasoning only makes me feel more justified in preferring Xtwo as a FS if nothing else. Mewtwo was already comparatively small in Melee as it is. Becoming even smaller would just be... ugh. I'll take any version that's closer or more accurate to around Mewtwo's standard 6 ft. Otherwise you may as well be playing as Mew or something if it's gonna be that small.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I want to see Mewtwo get a reveal cinematic and I want to see his newcomer "Poster."

But then I remember I will see neither because he will be kept secret.

:(
He could closer to the game's release. But I'm sure by that point we'll all be completely rabid with hype from actually playing as him.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
I'm thinking Mewtwo will use psystrike and maybe mega in the process and then return back to normal Mewtwo. Hopefully it looks like how it does in X and Y, and it can probably lock on to multiple characters. Or it can be something like Wario Man and he just gets buffed up attacks and his speed is also raised. All I hope is that psystrike looks awesome if they include it.

That reasoning only makes me feel more justified in preferring Xtwo as a FS if nothing else. Mewtwo was already comparatively small in Melee as it is. Becoming even smaller would just be... ugh. I'll take any version that's closer or more accurate to around Mewtwo's standard 6 ft. Otherwise you may as well be playing as Mew or something if it's gonna be that small.
They can always height adjust, like Pikachu being bigger then it actually is in canon. I don't know why they made Mewtwo Y smaller than Mewtwo in the first place though.

If you want to compare heights I found this:
Mewtwo is 6'7"
Mewtwo X is 7'7"
Mewtwo Y is 4'11"

4'11"? Wow.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Interesting food for thought... If they made Mewtwo Y at least Melee Mewtwo sized instead of something smaller, I would be probably a lot less opposed to the idea admittedly.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You shouldn't be.

Canon size still means precisely ****. As much as I'd love the idea of a taller Mewtwo, he'd look weird being taller than/as tall Ganondorf (or at at least canon...dorf).
Eh, point taken, not that I was pretending that canon size meant much of anything to Smash now. In some ways I guess that's good though.

For the record I'm more against Mewtwo Y based on it being a transformation (because I don't want too many in the roster to have a goddamn transformation FS), than I am based on its size. Just felt like bringing up the size of the Y form for the hell of it after what Golden said I guess. lol

I thought you didn't want either megaform to be at all a part of Mewtwo's moveset anyway? If nothing else I'm thinking that "best of both worlds" idea you mentioned for Mewtwo some pages back would be more and more ideal now...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I still have the same stance, but Lil' Mac having Giga Mac makes me even more pessimistic that transformation Final Smashes will be rampant this time aronud.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

....wait a minute.

Among other oddities.

Ditto was a pokeball pokemon. It was scrapped by the end of development. Normally news sites or magazines like these get information during development (specially if its a strategy guide supposed to be published concurrently with the game) and some of the information they might have will probably be a few months outdated, but because almost nothing changes during the last few months except for balancing, that was never much of an issue. (But you did have games every now and then with extra unlockables or missing unlockables, sort of like missing Ditto)

Also more than one source claims that Mewtwo's Foward Air is "Shadow Claw", even before the move was officially revealed as a Pokemon move. Just like Shadow Ball wasn't officially revealed yet as a Pokemon move either.

I don't know about Peach/Daisy though.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
For the record I'm more against Mewtwo Y based on it being a transformation (because I don't want too many in the roster to have a transformation FS)
B-But more transformations means more playable characters for Project M SSB4 edition! :sadeyes:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Why am I tempted so with some of you people's statements?! :p

Can't Project M just do simple X and Y form reskins of the Mewtwo we should be getting in Smash 4 and call it a day?

Oh, and yeah. Mewtwo has a natural talent for using/having moves before they become official Pokemon techniques, it seems. Shadow Ball, Shadow Claw... Wonder what 'shadow' move it'll get in SSB4 that'll become a new move in gen 7 or so? :awesome:

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Why am I tempted so with some of you people's statements?! :p

Can't Project M just do simple X and Y form reskins of the Mewtwo we should be getting in Smash 4 and call it a day?

Oh, and yeah. Mewtwo has a natural talent for using/having moves before they become official Pokemon techniques, it seems. Shadow Ball, Shadow Claw... Wonder what 'shadow' move it'll get in SSB4 that'll become a new move in gen 7 or so? :awesome:
The only problem with that is there will be no PM SSB4. That is because the Wii U is nearly unhackable.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Shadow pulse for gen 7 so we have,water,dark,dragon and shadow or ghost pulse(which would be the same thing since it's ghost type) for Gen 7!

D

Deleted member

....How small do you think Mewtwo was in Melee?
He's within the same height range as the (then) 6'3" Samus in the game. If you're comparing him to the other Pokémon, bear in mind that Pikachu, Pichu, and Jigglypuff were scaled up in Smash.

Ditto was a pokeball pokemon. It was scrapped by the end of development. Normally news sites or magazines like these get information during development (specially if its a strategy guide supposed to be published concurrently with the game) and some of the information they might have will probably be a few months outdated, but because almost nothing changes during the last few months except for balancing, that was never much of an issue. (But you did have games every now and then with extra unlockables or missing unlockables, sort of like missing Ditto)
I am aware Ditto was planned to a Poke Ball summon. I literally stated that it was outdated information.

However, it doesn't excuse the fact they listed what Ditto does, when Ditto never got that far in development before being scrapped due to complications.

Also more than one source claims that Mewtwo's Foward Air is "Shadow Claw", even before the move was officially revealed as a Pokemon move. Just like Shadow Ball wasn't officially revealed yet as a Pokemon move either.
It doesn't matter what the move was listed as in a strategy guide, it's not the Pokémon move known as Shadow Claw.
Shadow Claw debuted in Generation 4, five years after Melee was released. And guess what? Mewtwo can't even learn it!

And don't bother trying to use Shadow Ball as an example.
That debuted in Generation 2, released two years before Melee. And Mewtwo can learn that.

I don't know about Peach/Daisy though.
Well according to Prima's MKW book, they are cousins.
And Toadette is Toad's sister.
And Waluigi runs a motor oil company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I am aware Ditto was planned to a Poke Ball summon. I literally stated that it was outdated information.

However, it doesn't excuse the fact they listed what Ditto does, when Ditto never got that far in development before being scrapped due to complications.
They probably received the concept information and were never informed it was scrapped, or just forgot to take it off the guide. It was a mistake but it isn't an unfathomable one.

It doesn't matter what the move was listed as in a strategy guide, it's not the Pokémon move known as Shadow Claw.
Shadow Claw debuted in Generation 4, five years after Melee was released. And guess what? Mewtwo can't even learn it!

Pikachu's foward smash is called Thunder Jolt (maybe it was his neutral special, it is one of the 2) even in the official design papers and game booklets and as far as I know that isn't even a real pokemon move (yet...), let alone can Pikachu actually learn it.

Shadow Claw is the name of Mewtwo's foward air, even if it isn't the same move as the one on the Pokemon games, that's still the official name.

Just as an example:

Lucario's final smash is "Aura Storm". If for some weird reason next generation has a move called Aura Storm and Lucario can't learn it, would you also say that Lucario did not use Aura Storm if someone went ahead and said: "I love using Lucario's FS: Aura Storm!"

Because that is basically what you are saying now.

Edit: Also certain games like the Gamecube adventure ones, and some of the other spinoffs have Pokemons learn moves they cannot learn in the official handheld RPG, so it's not like Smash is the only game to have a Pokemon use moves it cannot learn.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

...It debuted in Mewtwo Strikes Back.
No one knew it was Shadow Ball until Gold and Silver came out.

They probably received the concept information and were never informed it was scrapped, or just forgot to take it off the guide. It was a mistake but it isn't an unfathomable one.
It still is one that makes blindly following whatever they say to be foolish.

Pikachu's foward smash is called Thunder Jolt (maybe it was his neutral special, it is one of the 2) even in the official design papers and game booklets and as far as I know that isn't even a real pokemon move (yet...), let alone can Pikachu actually learn it.
It's Neutral Special. Thunder Jolt comes from the TCG, and to further prove that is that the name of the attack in Japanese is でんげき (just like in the original Japanese print of the card) as opposed to Thunder Shock's Japanese name でんきショック.

Shadow Claw is the name of Mewtwo's foward air, even if it isn't the same move as the one on the Pokemon games, that's still the official name.
Which is completely beside the point that I was making to begin with; that Mewtwo is not using the Pokémon move known as Shadow Claw. He's only using a standard attack that's named Shadow Claw. Whether or not that's really what the attack is called (which you have yet to actually prove other than saying "official" sources say it is) is irrelevant.

My initial statement was in response to someone saying that Mewtwo should have his forward air attack be given the matching visual effects of the legit Shadow Claw attack since he used it before it was an actual move.
Which he didn't; he used an attack that was given that name, and coincidentally, a Pokémon move by that same name would come 5 years later.

Just as an example:

Lucario's final smash is "Aura Storm". If for some weird reason next generation has a move called Aura Storm and Lucario can't learn it, would you also say that Lucario did not use Aura Storm if someone went ahead and said: "I love using Lucario's FS: Aura Storm!"

Because that is basically what you are saying now.
That is a stupid example.
a. It's outright stated in Brawl and on the damn website that Lucario's Final Smash is called "Aura Storm". "Shadow Claw", only source given was a shaky strategy guide that tends to make **** up.
b. It's not even close to the situation at hand. What I'm saying is that Mewtwo's forward air and the Pokémon move known as Shadow Claw are two different attacks that coincidentally share a name, and shouldn't be treated as one and the same. Your example is taking a move clearly defined in Smash, adding it to the Pokémon games, make Lucario unable to use it, and make the claim that he never used it in the first place in Smash when he clearly did.
c. The hypothetical is under the pretense that Lucario, the "Aura Pokémon", capable of using all aura-based attacks cannot use a hypothetical "Aura Storm" attack. The example would be less ridiculous if you used Puff Up for Jigglypuff as an example instead.

Edit: Also certain games like the Gamecube adventure ones, and some of the other spinoffs have Pokemons learn moves they cannot learn in the official handheld RPG, so it's not like Smash is the only game to have a Pokemon use moves it cannot learn.
...It's like you're so fixated on the fact I said Mewtwo can't learn the Pokémon move known as Shadow Claw that you don't seem to grasp the main point....

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think that last point goes double for you. Why does this matter again? Smash could care less about canon. Furthermore we don't even know if mewtwo would still have the move, should it have been revamped.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I think that last point goes double for you. Why does this matter again? Smash could care less about canon. Furthermore we don't even know if mewtwo would still have the move, should it have been revamped.
What's with the red font?

It's kinda ominous and off-putting :\

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Interesting food for thought... If they made Mewtwo Y at least Melee Mewtwo sized instead of something smaller, I would be probably a lot less opposed to the idea admittedly.
Mega Mewtwo Y would probably be more Princess Peach tall if you asked me, while normal Mewtwo would be rivaling Rosalina's height, if not slightly taller. Mega Mewtwo X would probably outsize Ganondorf by a few inches though.

What's with the red font?

It's kinda ominous and off-putting :\
Red font = staff member.

D

Deleted member

Excuse me?
In what sense does my last point "go double" for me? This is irony at it's finest. You're claiming that I'm so fixated on Mewtwo not being able to use Shadow Claw that I'm not grasping my own point? When...it's not my main argument, it was a passing statement, most of Raykz's counterargument fixates on that statement, and this very post I'm quoting of yours is fixated on the statement while not grasping the actual main point I'm making.

I'll spell the main point out: Mewtwo's forward air attack in Melee and the Gen IV move known as "Shadow Claw" are not one and the same. The only correlation is the coincidental same name (which has yet to legitimately proven).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I was saying you're missing the point (and apparently the defintion of irony)

I don't think anyone actually cares what the move is called nor whether it is the official/canon move. The original suggestion was simply that the move look more like Shadow Claw, regardless of whether or not it actually is the move and whether or not Mewewo can use said move.

This isn't even about Mewtwo so much as it is a petty argument regarding who is right or wrong (and whether or not a credible yet erroneous source matters to a bunch of guys on the Internet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom