• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
I really hope they give Mewtwo his signature attack, Psystrike, to his arsenal. It could be a wave like attack that either explodes or stun his opponents. Also I just found something reaaallly weird.

I know Ganon is attracted to power and I think Mewtwo will only accept the most powerful as his master so they kinda fit XD.Also, "Dark" is Mewtwos "weakness", if you get my drift.

Edit: Not even one minute, and NonSpecificGuy attacks. It was super effective.
:awesome:

Last edited:

johab001

Smash Cadet
If mewtwo is based on the 16th movie, his dash speed should atleast be faster than captain falcons. btw did mewtwo Y literally fly through a building when genesect chased her in the city?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If mewtwo is based on the 16th movie, his dash speed should atleast be faster than captain falcons. btw did mewtwo Y literally fly through a building when genesect chased her in the city?
I haven't seen the sixteenth movie, sadly, so I wouldn't know what he's she's like in that movie. @ J johab001 , Joined: Dec 15, 2008; Messages: 4.....
Wow.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I suppose this would would work, but that would mean Mewtwo be in the Top 3 fastest characters. His moveset and playstyle would have to be changed completely in order for him to be balanced. You can't have a character with a recovery and projectile like Mewtwo's be one of the fastest characters in the game. He would reck the rest of the cast, even assuming he got no offensive or weight buffs, which is incredibly unlikely.
Plus, Sakurai isn't always canonically accurate when it comes to designing characters for Smash, so I doubt Mewtwo would run that fast, regardless of which Mewtwo is used as his "base."

johab001

Smash Cadet
I suppose this would would work, but that would mean Mewtwo be in the Top 3 fastest characters. His moveset and playstyle would have to be changed completely in order for him to be balanced. You can't have a character with a recovery and projectile like Mewtwo's be one of the fastest characters in the game. He would reck the rest of the cast, even assuming he got no offensive or weight buffs, which is incredibly unlikely.
Plus, Sakurai isn't always canonically accurate when it comes to designing characters for Smash, so I doubt Mewtwo would run that fast, regardless of which Mewtwo is used as his "base."
Yeah, i can't imagine someone with Mewtwo's size to run fast as captain falcon.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'd Settle for mewtwo being at least faster than it was in melee.
Yeah, I think I'd agree with you there. Honestly, I don't think increasing Mewtwo's speed is necessary to make him viable, but I'd have absolutely no qualms if Sakurai does wind up increasing his speed.

Last edited:

Spirst

What Mewtwo needs is a weight increase. Speed would be nice but isn't all that necessary. Also, no at being faster than Falcon. Would just be silly and would throw off the balance of the character. A slight speed increase would be good though. Weight, however, is kind of a big deal especially in a game with a mechanic like rage. There's no reason he should be that floaty given that he's actually heavier than Charizard in canon. Being floaty with a large hurtbox=lol bad. Rosalina has it as well but she at least has Luma to do stupid Luma stuff with.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
...honestly, he needs a lot of things.
Faster speed, faster falling-speed, better dash attack, viable down and side-b...

...am i being too greedy?

johab001

Smash Cadet
What Mewtwo needs is a weight increase. Speed would be nice but isn't all that necessary. Also, no at being faster than Falcon. Would just be silly and would throw off the balance of the character. A slight speed increase would be good though. Weight, however, is kind of a big deal especially in a game with a mechanic like rage. There's no reason he should be that floaty given that he's actually heavier than Charizard in canon. Being floaty with a large hurtbox=lol bad. Rosalina has it as well but she at least has Luma to do stupid Luma stuff with.
According to Sakurai, if a character have very low gravity in air and floats in the ground when it dashes and walks, it doesn't matter how big the character is. It still will be light. Mewtwo still might be light if we go by that logic.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYnbWC7vxw

Last edited:

Spirst

According to Sakurai, if a character have very low gravity in air and floats in the ground when it dashes and walks, it doesn't matter how big the character is. It still will be light. Mewtwo still might be light if we go by that logic.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYnbWC7vxw
That makes sense according to the logic. However, Charizard is 31/32 on the fallspeed/fastfall speed rankings, 43 in airspeed, has 3 jumps, and floats while dashing. Yet, he's still the 4th heaviest in the game. I understand Charizard may be a bit of a different case considering his character archetype but regardless, Mewtwo should be medium weight at the very least and not lighter than Mario/Zelda/Sheik like he was in Melee.

Last edited:

johab001

Smash Cadet
That makes sense according to the logic. However, Charizard is 31/32 on the fallspeed/fastfall speed rankings, 43 in airspeed, has 3 jumps, and floats while dashing. Yet, he's still the 4th heaviest in the game. I understand Charizard may be a bit of a different case considering his character archetype but regardless, Mewtwo should be medium weight at the very least and not lighter than Mario/Zelda/Sheik like he was in Melee.
Charizard floats while
Dashing due to his wings. In the air too. Otherwise he walks withs feet. Mewtwo and rosalina are anti-gravity mode all the time.

Spirst

Charizard floats while
Dashing due to his wings. In the air too. Otherwise he walks withs feet. Mewtwo and rosalina are anti-gravity mode all the time.
Yes, I know. Hence why I specified dashing and didn't include walking.

What I'm arguing is that Mewtwo shouldn't be like Rosalina and have "anti-gravity" mode since it doesn't even make sense for his character. He's a canonically heavy character with his weight reduced to try and balance him out. However, that obviously didn't work out in his favor and helped contribute towards making him mediocre. He needs SOME kind of numerical weight buff. Samus is floaty too but is also heavier than you would think (7th on rankings) so I don't see why Mewtwo can't be.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

What I'm arguing is that Mewtwo shouldn't be like Rosalina and have "anti-gravity" mode since it doesn't even make sense for his character. He's a canonically heavy character with his weight reduced to try and balance him out. However, that obviously didn't work out in his favor and helped contribute towards making him mediocre. He needs SOME kind of numerical weight buff. Samus is floaty too but is also heavier than you would think (7th on rankings) so I don't see why Mewtwo can't be.
Ooorrr....they could simply make him really powerful, like he should be, and keep him light. ^-^

johab001

Smash Cadet

Yea, i agree. I haven't played pokemon in a long time but did weight benefit a pokemon?

Ooorrr....they could simply make him really powerful, like he should be, and keep him light. ^-^
That would make sense if he still have the gravity logic.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Hmm... from a logic-standpoint, i think him being floaty actually makes more sense, being a psycho-Pokemon and all. He did slowly appear from the sky in the movie, flew in Pokemon Stadium when he first appears, etc etc.

...however, i'm with Spirst on this one.
Mewtwo would definitely benefit from a faster falling-speed gameplay-wise.
(i just want him to be viable, for heaven's sake...)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I honestly don't care too much what it is as long as he isn't trash again.
Pretty sure that, even if Sakurai actively wanted to make him trash again, Namco would slap him on the wrist and tell him to play nice.

He won't be trash again, not with balance a priority in this game.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Tourney started today. Got a lot of wins. Breloom screws me over though. Anyway that Tyrunt is a lock. Just have to wait till the 30th to get my HA Tyrunt.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
So, if no one noticed Mewtwo is officially God-Tier in Project M!

Edit: I forgot to point out that, as far as I could tell, there isn't an official 3.5 tier list yet and he did receive some nerfs in that version so, yeah.
Why would people continue refining tier lists for obsolete version numbers?

Well, anyway, it's good to know Mewtwo was in a tier appropriate to his canon power level at least once.

woop

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So, if no one noticed Mewtwo is officially God-Tier in Project M!

Edit: I forgot to point out that, as far as I could tell, there isn't an official 3.5 tier list yet and he did receive some nerfs in that version so, yeah.

So if mewtwo was closer to project m in melee he would have ben top tiered (not so broken in melee for short)

Wow..... I hope sakurai doesn't overpower ssb4 mewtwo (not to broken like melee and not to beyond tier 1 like project m)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Gameplan;
>Get your butt off Flipnote 3D, y'****
>Mewtwo Get
>Hype for a bit
>Play Classic & All-Star to get THEM TROPHIES @w@

One of three choices;
Super Fun > MAIN THAT **** :4dedede:
Fun > Play him some more Online and stuff
Not Fun > You can sit in the corner with DK and Palutena

I got it all planned out, and I got a bucket of chicken.

godogod

Smash Ace
in terms of the pokemon spectrum, As it stands, each playable pokemon has unique stats.

Greninja - very fast dash speed, light, below average power, very fast attack speed,
Charizard - fast dash speed, heavy, powerful, slow attack speed
Pikachu - fast dash speed, light, strong, fast attack speed
Lucario - slow dash speed, slightly above average weight, power varies, average/somewhat slow attack speed
Jigglypuff - very slow dash speed, very light, below average power, average attack speed

Of course these attributes are just a small sample, and does not define how good each individual character is. There are far more factors. One great thing all the pokemon share though, are their great recoveries. The lighter ones seem to have the best(jiggly, greninja, lucario)

Where should Mewtwo fall into this? I want him to have nice balance of speed and power.

Mewtwo - average dash speed, heavy(second heaviest pokemon), above average power, average attack speed.

I don't want him to be too good. It wouldn't be fun. I"ll be fine if he is mid or somewhere up. Partially because I don't him overly used, as many people just plain jump on the band wagon for high tier characters. Anyway to explain the attributes.. He can come back just as powerful as Melee and just as hard to master(or slightly easier)..Not sure if I want him to be the heaviest.. Other stats like fall speed have to be changed to accommodate, and with him being a floaty character, I don't know how it will work out. A faster dash speed, weight, and attack speed is necessary though. His attacks came out slower than Lucario. >_>

If they make Mewtwo heavier than most characters(over 100), and a dash speed as fast as mario at least, that would be nice.
Heavier than C Falcon to almost as heavy as Ganondorf( 105-110) , and as fast as Bowser in Dash speed would be amazing, but I'm no expecting it.

http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-running-walking-speed-rankings.371564/
http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-weight-rankings.367479/

What do you guys think?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
What do you guys think?
As long as he isn't floatier than Purin Pop, I'm fine.
Seriously, his weight in Melee is so confusing.
Ness was confusing enough in Melee, but Mewtwo be like
"WOOP I'M GONNA DO FULL LOOPS AS A JUMP"
"NOW I'M HERE"
"OW I GOT HIT, LEMME STAY PERFECTLY STILL"
"NOW I JUMP LIKE 5 FEET"
"WEEEEEEEEEEE"

Gah. :4dedede:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I hope Mewtwo remains floaty like he was in Melee, but I also want his attacks to hit harder consequently. I feel like Mewtwo, moveset-wise, was perfect as he is, but his actual attacks lacked 'oomph'. Smash 4 can change that.
I also want him to stay slow and floaty because now Lucario has been changed to be faster, meaning they don't overlap in playstyle anymore.
Mewtwo should be changed to have more reach with all of his attacks. His tail should stretch out some more, his Side Special and Down Special are Psychic moves and shouldn't be close range anyway, and his Smash attacks could have a bit of an AOE.

godogod

Smash Ace
OH yeah, in terms of DLC with Mewtwo.. I'd love it if..

-you need to face him in 1vs1 with the challenger approaching sign before you can play him
-a returning pokemon stage like Saffron City or Pokefloats(or a new one like cerulean cave) with some extra tracks like Mega Charizard vs Mewtwo(pokemon origins theme).
-you need to unlock all his trophies like any other character via classic, shop, and all-star
-have an additional challenge or two in event mode. The stage is unlocked via event mode.
-maybe an extra challenge overall(in those blue screens)
-you need to unlock his customs like any other character

Yes, I do want some of him to be earned. Even though he is DLC, I don't want everything to be handed to me. Customs for a single character aren't that hard to unlock. All star mode on hard can get you them fast! However, a patch where we don't get repeats of customs would be nice.

You know what would be troll mode/hilariously funny? If Nintendo/releases a patch for everyone to get the extra event mode for ree, including facing against Mewtwo, but obviously not being able to play him or the stage.. heh. Would be a nice incenitive to make people buy him.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
OH yeah, in terms of DLC with Mewtwo.. I'd love it if..

-you need to face him in 1vs1 with the challenger approaching sign before you can play him
Eh, I'd rather be able to play as him as soon as he's downloaded.

godogod

Smash Ace
.....they aren't making Mewtwo a heavyweight, I can tell you that much.

http://smashboards.com/threads/fact...eral-discussion.324191/page-383#post-18336686

This post from weeks ago seems relevant again.
Yeah, we'll see. . I'm not expecting heavier than charizard, or even Ganondorf, because like that post said, sakurai throws canon stuff out the window. I still have that "light because he's floating than mid-air" excuse from Sakurai in my mind, when I said what I did though.

Also.. Samus is in a space suit, sakurai made all the females-samus in space suit as lightweight characters. Oh and on that link regarding femtwo/mewtwo y's knockback. Mewtwo goes from 269lbs to 72.8lbs. Almost 200lb difference.

He needs to be heavier than lucario. Above average is what most people want.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mewtwo_(Pokémon)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom