• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I would prefer Psystrike replace Down B if anything. While Confusion was pretty damn useless, the concept was really awesome- IMO, he needs some form of ranged command grab.

Agreed all the way. The only thing Confusion needs is the ability to hold any direction during the move and have the item/enemy get thrown in that way. It'd be the only omni-directional throw the game has and it'd be super awesome to precisely redirect items.

Doesn't sound OP, especially if the launch couldn't KO... I'm thinking that the launch speed would be the same regardless of enemy %.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Agreed all the way. The only thing Confusion needs is the ability to hold any direction during the move and have the item/enemy get thrown in that way. It'd be the only omni-directional throw the game has and it'd be super awesome to precisely redirect items.

Doesn't sound OP, especially if the launch couldn't KO... I'm thinking that the launch speed would be the same regardless of enemy %.
What I was thinking was make the opponent completely movable for the duration of the move with similar controls to PK thunder, though with right angle turns rather than curves. Once the move ends, the opponent is paralyzed in place for Mewtwo to reach them.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Disable was a better concept, I believe. Sure, telekinesis makes sense for a psychic, but Mewtwo already showcases a lot of telekinesis in his grabs. Disable implied getting inside the mind of your opponent, which is perfect for a psychic supervillain.

They should give Mewtwo a new Side-B, and Disable should be given longer range, more damage on the first hit, and the ability to reflect projectiles like Confusion could.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Disable was a better concept, I believe. Sure, telekinesis makes sense for a psychic, but Mewtwo already showcases a lot of telekinesis in his grabs. Disable implied getting inside the mind of your opponent, which is perfect for a psychic supervillain.

They should give Mewtwo a new Side-B, and Disable should be given longer range, more damage on the first hit, and the ability to reflect projectiles like Confusion could.

If Disable comes back, I'd want it to be a chargeable move-- essentially, if tapped it does what it did in Melee. If held down for awhile, its range and duration increases.

Deflecting projectiles could be cool too.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I feel Sakurai has wrote his own self-fulfilling prophecy with the "We are thinking about it" comment.

Initially, it just gave Mewtwo fans some hope. However, it didn't take long for everyone else to speculate upon Mewtwo's situation and start acting like he's practically confirmed. The more the Smash community takes his return for granted, the more Sakurai is pressured to go through with adding him. But imagine if Mewtwo wasn't included. Sakurai, with those few words above, willingly turned the risk of disappointment from a subset of fans into the risk of outrage from the community at large. He's turned his choice between a carrot and a stick into a choice between a feast and a nuke.

No matter how much he likes to tease us, however, Sakurai is not a fool. He wouldn't make a situation more volatile if he hadn't already decided upon the safer option.

But that isn't why Mewtwo is going to be in.

That is why Mewtwo is already in.

[Legend]

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo coming back in B4 seems like a pretty iffy situation, since there is a movie and everything depicting a Newtwo as the important role and not the OG you might think that this will be the representative they will add in Brawl, but then I try to convince myself that that wouldn't be the case because I'd really like for the Melee Mewtwo to be the one actually returning and not just the idea of one being replaced by the successor lol

Mewtwo being a pokemon makes his slot very confusing to me, since there is a chance we could see it go either way but still being essentially the same character, but not really. I just like to think that the awakened form is just something all Mewtwo have in their back pockets now so it wouldn't conflict too much to have the Mewtwo we know return and not have a spiritual return in the form of another just cause'

Why you gotta play with my emotions Smash Bros?

D

Deleted member 212841

On the subject of replacing B moves for Psystrike; I honestly feel like his moves reflected him quite well. They were great choices and made him really weird and unique, they were just really underpowered in some way or another. Just taking Melee Mewtwo and buffing his attacks by making them faster/stronger or giving them better hitboxes/effects would be my personal favorite way to see it done. I could understand some slight move changes like most vets get when moving into the next game but I disagree with the sentiment that the original Mewtwo was off, just poorly executed in a sense.

D

Deleted member

Disable was a good concept, but poorly executed. Just needs some tweaking, and it's good to go.

Confusion was a poor concept that was poorly executed. No way of getting around it.
So if that gets replaced with Psystrike, good. I'm pretty sure Mewtwo B spammed that attack in the movie, and it wasn't anything like a super devastating Final Smash-esque technique from what I've heard.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
On the subject of replacing B moves for Psystrike; I honestly feel like his moves reflected him quite well. They were great choices and made him really weird and unique, they were just really underpowered in some way or another. Just taking Melee Mewtwo and buffing his attacks by making them faster/stronger or giving them better hitboxes/effects would be my personal favorite way to see it done. I could understand some slight move changes like most vets get when moving into the next game but I disagree with the sentiment that the original Mewtwo was off, just poorly executed in a sense.

I also love Melee Mewtwo and I love the concept of Disable, not so much Confusion, but I think they were on the right track for both, it just needed more thought put into it (and Disable needed a huge buff).

The thing is that since Melee Mewtwo has received a signature move that is unique to himself, Psystrike. People want him to have this ability one way or the other because of this fact and being a fan of Mewtwo I also agree he should.

My personal desire is that he should have Confusion and Disable mixed into 1 as his Down-B. Basically it would be a move that goes through shields (Like Ganondorf's Side-B) and reflects projectiles (truly reflect them, not just change directions), it would be hard to actually land on an opponent, but if done right it would make the opponent go into Shield Break Animation (Like old Disable) if the opponent is looking at you, if the opponent is backwards it make them wobble a bit in the air (like old Confusion). Both of these animations though would have less ending lag than the Hitstun it puts your opponent in (Unlike Melee) in order to allow them to actually be useful.

After that just give Mewtwo Psystrike as his new Side-B.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I still think his/her Final Smash should be this, which I consider to be akin to a full-body version of Aura Sphere.

[collapse=Obvious 1st movie spoiler is obvious]

[/collapse]

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch, considering Lucario got Vegeta's Galick/Garlic Gun.
You'd be able to control Mewtwo/fly around and smack everyone with the bubble, and also be able blast them with it.

Alternatively, I still like the Spoon idea from the manga, which if I recall was a variation of PsyWave/Barrier.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I still think his/her Final Smash should be this, which I consider to be akin to a full-body version of Aura Sphere.

[collapse=Obvious 1st movie spoiler is obvious]

[/collapse]

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch, considering Lucario got Vegeta's Galick/Garlic Gun.
You'd be able to control Mewtwo/fly around and smack everyone with the bubble, and also be able blast them with it.

Alternatively, I still like the Spoon idea from the manga, which if I recall was a variation of PsyWave/Barrier.

Although that ability does have a certain appeal to it, I fear it would hold a lot of resemblance to Pikachu's or Sonic's FS. Anyways Mewtwo's new form will probably make it into the game somehow so as a biased Classic Mewtwo fan I would much rather have it be as a Finasl Smash, as at least in that way, it won't be part of my integral day to day play. (I honestly dislike his new form a lot, it just feels so un-Mewtwo to me).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I actually thought it was most similar to Yoshi's, but yeah I understand the feeling.

At heart, I love Mewtwo for Mewtwo. I haven't formed my opinion of the new forme yet, as I haven't seen the movie, but I can say I still like it.
Despite that, wouldn't mind if it didn't show up as prominently in favor of the classic one. Even if it was restricted to a Final Smash.

Steelia

Smash Champion

Eh~
I love me some anime references, but the concept sounds a little too much like Pikachu's Volt Tackle. When I first played SSBM a long while back, I had always hoped his Shield would be his Barrier from the movie. Kind of like how Yoshi gets a special Egg shield, why not give Mewtwo a special Barrier shield? Besides, Psystrike

I do love the idea of him using his spoon in combat, though. It's a manifestation of pure psychic energy, and can be called upon (and retracted) at will. Could be used for his tilts instead of him having to rely on his tail all the time like he did in SSBM.

D

Deleted member

Never really did get the appeal of the giant spoon from the manga...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Exactly that was what I had in mind! But it would be powerful like Bowser's Side B. Perhaps even stronger to compensate the lower speed.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if this is relevant to anyone's interests but

This female "new imperfect" Kalos mewtwo that can transform we are seeing is apparently a different mewtwo entirely from the Kanto mewtwo according to the Pokemon company. And according to the leaks from a particular source that's been right on every leak so far regarding this new gen; this mewtwo is made by different scientists and will be a major plot twist to the series

I wonder if sakurai will be basing off this female mewtwo than the old mewtwo. Because if so, that will imply that mewtwo may be weaker in game in some way shape or form :/

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if this is relevant to anyone's interests but

This female "new imperfect" Kalos mewtwo that can transform we are seeing is apparently a different mewtwo entirely from the Kanto mewtwo according to the Pokemon company. And according to the leaks from a particular source that's been right on every leak so far regarding this new gen; this mewtwo is made by different scientists and will be a major plot twist to the series

I wonder if sakurai will be basing off this female mewtwo than the old mewtwo. Because if so, that will imply that mewtwo may be weaker in game in some way shape or form :/
Why would the new Mewtwo be any weaker than Kanto Mewtwo? And even if she is, Sakurai's not going to make Mewtwo worse than he/she was in Melee.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Why would the new Mewtwo be any weaker than Kanto Mewtwo? And even if she is, Sakurai's not going to make Mewtwo worse than he/she was in Melee.
I'm not going to spoil anything from the movie, but to put it short she is less capable of strength in stats (game wise from what fans are speculating) and movie wise (I won't even go into this, it's a worse train wreck than best wishes); by a far long shot than kanto mewtwo is. However, she is super fast, as proven and has more of a move pool/punishing moves once the transformation is done.

If he's going to translate the female mewtwo into smash, he might make it the next "sheik." Although to be honest, I'd prefer him to use the mewtwo we knew of the past and rework his entire moveset so it wouldn't be biased.

And so far, if this leaker is true (which he has been for all his "leaks" about X an Y); that means we will be getting a second mewtwo form. This form could be a transformation for the kanto mewtwo for all we know. So having his final smash be a transformation isn't too far off from reality, it just wouldn't be the current "Fem"ewtwo transformation we all currently see over the Internet (AKA: the mewtwo transformation with the halo/crown over its head)

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'm half-expecting it, tbh. I mean, Mewtwo's Japanese VA (Masachika Ichimura) is 64 years old, the man's been around. Would GAME FREAK hire him again for the role? The Japanese seem to have a thing for fictional characters and their VAs. I mean, when Dragon Ball Z's Japanese VA for Tien passed away, they removed the character from a special to "honor" the memory of the voice actor. Apparently they don't like replacing the voices. Even GAME FREAK was pretty upset to hear the new VA changes to the American dub a couple of years ago.

So having femme Mewtwo be an excuse not to reuse Masachika Ichimura (or the first Mewtwo) wouldn't be a surprise. She'd act more of a replacement further along down the series. Ichimura isn't getting any younger.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I suspect SSB4 will use the feminine voice in Japan and the masculine voice for elsewhere.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I'm half-expecting it, tbh. I mean, Mewtwo's Japanese VA (Masachika Ichimura) is 64 years old, the man's been around. Would GAME FREAK hire him again for the role? The Japanese seem to have a thing for fictional characters and their VAs. I mean, when Dragon Ball Z's Japanese VA for Tien passed away, they removed the character from a special to "honor" the memory of the voice actor. Apparently they don't like replacing the voices. Even GAME FREAK was pretty upset to hear the new VA changes to the American dub a couple of years ago.

So having femme Mewtwo be an excuse not to reuse Masachika Ichimura (or the first Mewtwo) wouldn't be a surprise. She'd act more of a replacement further along down the series. Ichimura isn't getting any younger.
Still, some Japanese men age like fine wine when it comes to Voice acting. Take Norio Wakamoto for example. Ichimura still has it in him, and thank goodness for that

As for which mewtwo, I agree it has a 50/50 chance of being either one. The fact that the Pokemon company had to issue a statement that its a different mewtwo entirely from the one we know in the past is pretty big. Usually, companies don't comment on anything unless the whole entire fan base goes nuts. After the movie was shown, tons of people young and old kept tweeting and emailing the company itself (since the director of he movie told everyone to and quote "shut up and buzz off" on twitter from innocent quesions of fans) since there were rumors that the mewtwo legend and representation in games may be retconned. The fact that Pokemon company had to say flat out that its a different mewtwo and that there are 2 different mewtwos show something is up. And Gamefreak is playing it smart if you ask me; since they did pressure the PR department to say that

And with the whole indication that there Kanto Mewtwo is still out there, that should make it obvious that the fans shouldn't be worried. Corocoro did say they will reveal the "scoops of the century" regarding the games, so it should be obvious

My only issue though is the western picks for voice actors; since that can always go horribly wrong.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Here's a thought: Mewtwo is weaker but a bit faster (as mentioned above) with a hidden energy meter. It fills over time, doing so faster if B moves are avoided until, at its maximum, the transformation is triggered. When transformed, Mewtwo gains in power quite dramatically. As this power is used, however, the meter drains, with A moves taking very little but B moves a fair amount. At 0, Mewtwo would revert back to standard form.
Original form would resemble Melee Mewtwo with a few modern influences.
Transformed would be as modern as possible without being an entirely different character.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Make mewtwos b over different, make disable better, make mewtwo a little heavier, make his transformation be earned in battle (not via button press or final smash) it will just be a better mewtwo in every regard until he dies then he becomes normal again and will have to re earn the transformation again. Dats what I want.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Still, some Japanese men age like fine wine when it comes to Voice acting. Take Norio Wakamoto for example. Ichimura still has it in him, and thank goodness for that

My only issue though is the western picks for voice actors; since that can always go horribly wrong.
Good to know with that first bit. :)

As far as Western picks for Mewtwo's VA... his First Movie VA passed away a while ago, and his Returns VA (Dan Green) retired after his wife passed away. So I have no idea who they'll have for an English VA, unless they pull an SSBM.

Also~
Survey thing: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-great-smash-census-survey-now-live.338873/
Give Mewtwo a little bit of love for most anticipated newcomer! Or SSBM main. Or something.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
make his transformation be earned in battle (not via button press or final smash) it will just be a better mewtwo in every regard until he dies then he becomes normal again and will have to re earn the transformation again. Dats what I want.
This is pretty much what I was getting at above. The more powerful form should be a reward for playing well with an otherwise underpowered (but by no means dreadful) character. It should not last indefinitely and, for thematic reasons, reversion should be based on power usage (also helps prevent spamming) but it should last a fair while still. Reversion on death is a must IMO.
Standard Mewtwo shouldn't be any heavier. He was reasonable in terms of weight as was and shouldn't be excellent at survival, otherwise achieving second forme becomes an expectation, not a triumph. Second forme, however, can have stat boosts across the board.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
If the warning challenger approaching reveals Mewtwo, I would be really happy, I missed him in Brawl.

What, Newtwo is chick?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The cloning process apparently does not clone the genes determining gender since two different clones of what I would assume was the same Mew turned up two different genders of Mewtwo. If you read back a bit, it was the main topic a page or two ago. That and the fact that female Mewtwo apparently has an uncontrollable transformation into a "more mewlike" form.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
This is pretty much what I was getting at above. The more powerful form should be a reward for playing well with an otherwise underpowered (but by no means dreadful) character. It should not last indefinitely and, for thematic reasons, reversion should be based on power usage (also helps prevent spamming) but it should last a fair while still. Reversion on death is a must IMO.
Standard Mewtwo shouldn't be any heavier. He was reasonable in terms of weight as was and shouldn't be excellent at survival, otherwise achieving second forme becomes an expectation, not a triumph. Second forme, however, can have stat boosts across the board.
Id have the transformation have improved hitboxes, extra properties, speed adjustments, more damage etc. depending on each move It would slightly alter all of them in some way.

Steelia

Smash Champion
The cloning process apparently does not clone the genes determining gender since two different clones of what I would assume was the same Mew turned up two different genders of Mewtwo.
It couldn't be the same Mew genes... Mewtwo destroyed just about everything related to himself, including the lab and scientists who made him. That, and the mind erasing.
It took the people who made first Mewtwo years to figure out how to make him. Then suddenly Shetwo comes out of nowhere, an almost exact replica of a clone that took years to even stabilize genetically/physically. It's just poor writing and shameless marketing on GAME FREAK's part.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo only destroyed the lab and killed the scientists.

There was obviously more data somewhere else. Otherwise:
-How would Giovanni have a power-focusing/repressing (dub vs. original) armor that just so happened to be designed for Mewtwo?
-How could Dr. Fuji be able to continue experimentation on the Amber clone outside the lab?
-The Mirage Mewtwo and Dr. Yung's knowledge of Mewtwo in general. People attribute this to "oh, he looked at Pikachu's memories", but if that was the case, why did he need research data from around the world in the first place, and how did he know what Mewtwo is?

Among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom