• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMTorres29

Smash Rookie
**** dude, that looks awesome, very nice job. Is it okay if I used a cropped version of that as a signature in the forums?

By the way, welcome to the forums fellow Mewtwo enthusiast.
Yea go right ahead, and thnx for the welcome haha

Mr.Poppa

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2852-8542-2831
Mewtwo is basically confirmed for the new film, his awakened form will be Psystrike then switching into his awakened form from the new film.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I recently met an 8-year-old who was into Pokemon. It was an interesting experience, since I got into Pokemon when I was 8 years old.

I asked him if he knew about the new Mewtwo form that was going to come out in X/Y. He said yes.

I asked him which form he preferred. He said he liked classic Mewtwo more.

I told him he had good taste.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Actually saturngamer64 saw some footage of the new movie and he said by what he saw mewtwo does not stay In awaken form for very long aka a short time so makes it very likly the awakened form will be his final smash and not down B

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A Final Smash only form would be cool. Or perhaps, he'd use both forms as his Final Smash?

It could also just be Psystrike.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I recently met an 8-year-old who was into Pokemon. It was an interesting experience, since I got into Pokemon when I was 8 years old.

I asked him if he knew about the new Mewtwo form that was going to come out in X/Y. He said yes.

I asked him which form he preferred. He said he liked classic Mewtwo more.

I told him he had good taste.
Nice...

Honestly, I would like to hear people's reasons more for preferring the Awakened form design over the classic. Again, if it retained the mature look of the original like with Raykz's avatar, I would like it more, but as it is, it's kinda hard to take seriously as a Mewtwo form, not that it's terrible, but, ya know.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Nice...

Honestly, I would like to hear people's reasons more for preferring the Awakened form design over the classic. Again, if it retained the mature look of the original like with Raykz's avatar, I would like it more, but as it is, it's kinda hard to take seriously as a Mewtwo form, not that it's terrible, but, ya know.
It kinda is terrible. Or it's at least less good, certainly not terrible when you take into account the new Pokemon's designs.

Am I the only one who wants his Spoon/Tornado? (Possible Pokemon Manga spoilers)

Though, that won't happen.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
It kinda is terrible. Or it's at least less good, certainly not terrible when you take into account the new Pokemon's designs.

Am I the only one who wants his Spoon/Tornado? (Possible Pokemon Manga spoilers)

Though, that won't happen.

I like Mewtwo in the manga but I doubt they will base his attacks on the manga. I do hope his moveset is given a complete rehaul with a more Psychic moveset in mind. I don't mind him using his tail, specially when he does it in such a cool way (by way I mean the way he normally stand when attacking with his tail, crossing his arm and barely looking at his opponent. It makes it feel as though he is playing with his opponent which I believe gives him a very nice touch of personality), but he does need to be more resourceful. I feel like in Melee he wasn't accurately demonstrating his Psychic powers, all he basically had was his throws.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Considering Mewtwo's popularity, people's general dislike to him being removed in Brawl, and his new form in X and Y, Mewtwo will probably make his comeback.
Everyone already knows when we saw the new form for gen 6 and the new movie and sakurai say he considering mewtwo its pretty much 95% there of being returned

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I don't mind having a light or medium weight Mewtwo, but he needs to have the raw attack power and knockback capabilities to make up for being a tall character with low weight. Sort of like Zelda, but more pronounced. And, yes, he should also specials that are less situational. A few possibilities for his moveset, provided that Lucario also get new moves or is removed:

B: Shadow Ball - Same name as the Melee move, but altered. Instead of being saveable, it will always fire a projectile of a certain size uncharged, and can be held a bit to charge, sort of like a smash attack but for a shorter duration. However, Mewtwo cannot *save* the charge for later. It would have similar range as Samus's charged shot but will travel slower, trace its signature jagged path, and deal more damage and knockback uncharged to compensate for the inability to *save* the charge like Samus. It should also have similar animation time, perhaps slightly slower. Charging this move like a smash attack will cause the resulting projectile to travel faster and become stronger.

Up+B: Teleport - The same teleport we've come to love in Melee. Faster than Zelda's but without the damaging beginning and ending animations. Maybe it could get a teeny bit more range to compensate for that.

Forward+B: Psystrike - New signature Mewtwo move. It chooses a fixed point in front of Mewtwo, always at the same distance. Mewtwo does his casting animation but it will be subtle. He is then free to move. About 2-3 seconds later, a black/purple portal opens up at that fixed point and detonates, scattering psychic energy and dealing decent damage and launching anybody caught in its radius. This move will allow Mewtwo to make areas on the stage 'unsafe' for a time and force certain actions (like jumps) or prevent certain actions (a direct approach or an attack from a certain direction). It can also be used to edgeguard, forcing the recovering enemy to consider a different approach so he isn't hit by the delayed explosion. It can also be used in the air so that you can hit an enemy up into it. Just gotta remember where the chosen point is. Mewtwo cannot set up a second Psystrike if the first one has not exploded yet.

Down+B: Light Screen - Mewtwo sets up a wall of light slightly taller than himself. The screen does no damage and moves forward slowly, but it will reflect all enemy projectiles. It is also an impassable obstruction that pushes enemies, so it should end up forcing enemies to jump over or find a way to get under it. It will work sort of like Isaac's pushing palm attack from the assist trophy, but will move slower and won't have the infinite range. It can be used offensively or defensively.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don't mind having a light or medium weight Mewtwo, but he needs to have the raw attack power and knockback capabilities to make up for being a tall character with low weight. Sort of like Zelda, but more pronounced. And, yes, he should also specials that are less situational. A few possibilities for his moveset, provided that Lucario also get new moves or is removed:

B: Shadow Ball - Same name as the Melee move, but altered. Instead of being saveable, it will always fire a projectile of a certain size uncharged, and can be held a bit to charge, sort of like a smash attack but for a shorter duration. However, Mewtwo cannot *save* the charge for later. It would have similar range as Samus's charged shot but will travel slower, trace its signature jagged path, and deal more damage and knockback uncharged to compensate for the inability to *save* the charge like Samus. It should also have similar animation time, perhaps slightly slower. Charging this move like a smash attack will cause the resulting projectile to travel faster and become stronger.

Up+B: Teleport - The same teleport we've come to love in Melee. Faster than Zelda's but without the damaging beginning and ending animations. Maybe it could get a teeny bit more range to compensate for that.

Forward+B: Psystrike - New signature Mewtwo move. It chooses a fixed point in front of Mewtwo, always at the same distance. Mewtwo does his casting animation but it will be subtle. He is then free to move. About 2-3 seconds later, a black/purple portal opens up at that fixed point and detonates, scattering psychic energy and dealing decent damage and launching anybody caught in its radius. This move will allow Mewtwo to make areas on the stage 'unsafe' for a time and force certain actions (like jumps) or prevent certain actions (a direct approach or an attack from a certain direction). It can also be used to edgeguard, forcing the recovering enemy to consider a different approach so he isn't hit by the delayed explosion. It can also be used in the air so that you can hit an enemy up into it. Just gotta remember where the chosen point is.

Down+B: Light Screen - Mewtwo sets up a wall of light slightly taller than himself. The screen does no damage and moves forward slowly, but it will reflect all enemy projectiles. It is also an impassable obstruction that pushes enemies, so it should end up forcing enemies to jump over or find a way to get under it. It will work sort of like Isaac's pushing palm attack from the assist trophy, but will move slower and won't have the infinite range. It can be used offensively or defensively.
How the hell can mewtwo get light screen down b should be psystrike if his form is the final smash and omg why is psystrike a shockwave attack side and not down or final smash

Ps a little idea but maybe his form could work simlar to zero suit samus final smash then switch after psystrike he switches forms after that but less than 1% to happen though

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
How the hell can mewtwo get light screen down b should be psystrike if his form is the final smash and omg why is psystrike a shockwave attack side and not down or final smash

Ps a little idea but maybe his form could work simlar to zero suit samus final smash then switch after psystrike he switches forms after that but less than 1% to happen though

I don't really know how to respond to that. Why CAN'T Mewtwo have Light Screen/Barrier? Mewtwo has been known to use forcefield-type abilities to protect himself for a long time now, since his debut in Pokemon (in movies, card games, actual games). I also don't see the problem with having Psystrike as a regular move. His final smash should be his alternate form. "Awakened form" implies that it has superior offensive ability and that Mewtwo should usually be in a dormant state. His smashes could largely remain the same other than down-smash, which need only be changed to make it hit both sides.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don't really know how to respond to that. Why CAN'T Mewtwo have Light Screen/Barrier? Mewtwo has been known to use forcefield-type abilities to protect himself for a long time now, since his debut in Pokemon (in movies, card games, actual games). I also don't see the problem with having Psystrike as a regular move. His final smash should be his alternate form. "Awakened form" implies that it has superior offensive ability and that Mewtwo should usually be in a dormant state. His smashes could largely remain the same other than down-smash, which need only be changed to make it hit both sides.
Psystrike is better as down B but yea down smash needs to be set to both sides just like megamans down smash

And alternate form is likly to be the final smash at this point I mean in the movie footage on YouTube mewtwo chooses not to stay in awaken form for very long each time he transforms

[Legend]

Smash Cadet
I feel like if Mewtwo were to have a barrier type move it would likely follow the trend of being the staple downB reflector, and really I'd be down with that

[Legend]

Smash Cadet
Well its like any other defensive move, it's majorly downB whether it be counters or reflect shields or ness and lucas absorbs or anything else so it just makes sense to me to have it be lumped in

but of course that is just my opinion on a hypothetical move for a hypothetical character at this point lol

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Psystrike is better as down B but yea down smash needs to be set to both sides just like megamans down smash

And alternate form is likly to be the final smash at this point I mean in the movie footage on YouTube mewtwo chooses not to stay in awaken form for very long each time he transforms
Traditionally, shield/barrier type moves are down+B. Look at Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pit, Ness, Lucas. Unless you come up with new moves, I feel that Light Screen/Barrier should be down+B and Psystrike should be forward+B.

[Legend]

Smash Cadet
Traditionally, shield/barrier type moves are down+B. Look at Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pit, Ness, Lucas. Unless you come up with new moves, I feel that Light Screen/Barrier should be down+B and Psystrike should be forward+B.

Echo Echo Echo Echo

I agree completely.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Keep Shadow Ball as the B move, or give him Lucario's Aura Sphere since he can do Aura Sphere too.

His Final Smash should be a Zero Suit Samus like transformation into Newtwo.

Also have the Zero Suit R buttom trick so we can start a battle as Newtwo.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Keep Shadow Ball as the B move, or give him Lucario's Aura Sphere since he can do Aura Sphere too.

His Final Smash should be a Zero Suit Samus like transformation into Newtwo.

Also have the Zero Suit R buttom trick so we can start a battle as Newtwo.
I think the final smash should be psystrike and then transform after that and psystrike again and he will go back to normal

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Light Screen would be simple but awesome.

Anyone familiar with Lucas in P:M? He has PK Offense Up for Down B. Am thinking a similar move would fit Mewtwo well. Perhaps Calm Mind / Meditate?

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Offense Up is on Neutral B lol. But I do agree that something similar would work for Mewtwo on Down B. Perhaps it would increase his grab range, KB for BThrow and UThrow, and damage for DThrow, Pummel, and FThrow? Course, if you whiffed a grab, you'd lose the charge.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
But I want to spam Psystrike as a regular B move :(

Although if Psychic was in the moveset, then I'd be all for Psystrike in his Final Smash.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I can see Light Screen as a Down B since this game is about balance and "quality" it has a weak side since it is only in the front. I'm pretty sure that he will be confirmed with the new movie and all.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

starting at 6:30

now do you guys believe psystrike is a side B

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Psystrike looks a little, overpowered to be a Side B. And I'd fear it would just become another 'PK Flash', aka, a strong move but far too slow to function.

My favorite ideas remain:

Psychic, a ranged command grab, for Side B.
Light Screen, a reflective energy wall that reflects projectiles and protects against damage, for Down B.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
I really hope Mewtwo returns. He should have never been cut for Lucario. (In terms of contributions to the series of Pokémon, Mewtwo has Lucario beat indefinitely.) If anything they could have cut Jiggs. Just not Mewtwo.
But with a new Pokémon Movie coming out starring him, and him gaining a new form, he could possibly be placed back in the roster.
Awakened form as his Final Smash that's a no-brainer. I'm pretty much expecting him to be back. Seeing as Lucario would have no place in Smash 4 besides being playable in the previous title. Gen IV was 2006...it's 2013. Come on now he's back by popular demand, I hope Sakurai doesn't ignore the hate he caused when he cut Mewtwo from Brawl. Redeem yourself man...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I really hope Mewtwo returns. He should have never been cut for Lucario. (In terms of contributions to the series of Pokémon, Mewtwo has Lucario beat indefinitely.) If anything they could have cut Jiggs. Just not Mewtwo.
But with a new Pokémon Movie coming out starring him, and him gaining a new form, he could possibly be placed back in the roster.
Awakened form as his Final Smash that's a no-brainer. I'm pretty much expecting him to be back. Seeing as Lucario would have no place in Smash 4 besides being playable in the previous title. Gen IV was 2006...it's 2013. Come on now he's back by popular demand, I hope Sakurai doesn't ignore the hate he caused when he cut Mewtwo from Brawl. Redeem yourself man...
Sakurai said they are considering mewtwo at e3 when someone asked about mewtwo

And I think how is final smash works will be the Same as samus psystrike then switch and the same thing with the other form and you can do the same trick in brawl to start as zero suit samus but with mewtwo and maybe even the up down up down trick to switch without the final smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom