• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
I like the idea of Newtwo being included in smash 4. Fan service for older gen 1 fans while still providing something new. Also it would pretty much force sakurai to create a whole new moveset which I'm sure would be faster and tighter given the fact he's smaller. Or they would give him more of the feel of a ness or lucas with good weight but floaty psychic double jumps

D

Deleted member 212841

The bizarre moveset is what made Mewtwo so great in Melee though. I'm fine with a buff but I don't want him to be generic ultra strong villain badass.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
They have a toon link for smash 4 thread. Idk how that pertains to mewtwo's return to smash....

thoughhhhh i really hope that they put in toon zelda :3

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I'm sad that Toon Link will most likely not return :(. I hope he is replaced with some more zelda reps.
Just how likely are we going to miss him when there are Toon Link clothed as Spirit Track engineer that is NOT same as Toon Link clothed as his true self? When Sakurai said that he wants younger version of Link, he made the first appearance in Melee, then in Brawl as TL, and then I'm sure he will still make an appearance in SSB4 as well.

Mudkip97

Smash Apprentice
He wasn't physically in BW (or Black 2/White 2), but he was distributed as an event semi-recently...
But yeah, Psystrike is his new signature move, and it's beast.

As far as Mewtwo goes, here's a list of various places he's cropped up in since his cut:

~He was the lead legendary Pokemon icon when used in a Pokemon expo some years back.
~Was the lead boss of the WiiWare game "Pokemon Rumble"; even got his own battle tune.
~Became the lead boss of the DS game "Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs".
~Was included in the Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal remakes "Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver".
~Got signature move in Pokemon Black/Pokemon White "Psystrike".
~Mewtwo returned as a major boss character in "Pokemon Rumble Blast" for the 3DS.
~Led in a new generation of Pokemon EX cards for the TCG called "Mewtwo-EX Returns"... seen here.
~Was distributed in a special wifi event, knowing special move "Electro Ball", in conjunction with his return to the TCG.
~Is featured as a prominent character in and is on the front cover of the Pokemon crossover title "Pokemon Conquest".
~Is going to be redistributed in the TCG again in a special tin, and new card.
~In a recent "Top 100 Reader's Choice Pokemon" poll held by IGN in the US, Mewtwo was ranked as #2 out of all potential 649 Pokemon (topped only by the giant flying fire-breathing not-Dragon lizard).

During SSBB's development, he was also included in a major arc in the Pokemon Adventures manga to fight Deoxys (wielding his infamous psychic spoon), and was the "strongest mirage Pokemon" in a 10th Anniversary Pokemon special titled "The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon".

Mewtwo's been anything but silent these last few years. I believe GAME FREAK has been testing Mewtwo's popularity since the backlash of hate they got for removing him, and I think it's safe to say he's still the most wanted cut character to return in the franchise... Him, and probably Roy.

:mewtwomelee: At E3 people asked Sakurai if Mewtwo will be in SSB4 because of his Awakening form and he said "We are thinking about it.". So Mewtwo has a VERY big chance of returning + he already represents the 5th and 6th gen because of his many appearances and big role. Lucario represented gen 4 and had his own movie. Now Mewtwo has that. Between Hg/Ss and X/Y Mewtwo was constantly reminded to us. Zoroark was a coll idea...at first. But the problem is I just don't see him in the game + gen 5 had only a few games. Gen 5's purpose wasn't big. It wasn't long and B/W and B2/W2 only came out at the end of the DS's life.

Now Megaman is in and if Sonic and Mewtwo are in I am going to be so exited.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
>Sees Goku on the list

Yea, obviously not a list to take seriously. But, I went ahead and voted Mewtwo.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I also voted Jesus because I could.

[Legend]

Smash Cadet
I would be so stoked if Mewtwo made a return, he gave you such a rewarding feeling when you did well lol

Also how amazing was his victory scene when you turned the game settings to Japanese!
But I feel like his Awakened Form would be best as a FS, but that is from the mindset of Brawl, this game could have a completely different style altogether with many new mechanics that could make in fight transforming being more common.. so I wouldn't be opposed. Maybe Mewtwo slowly changes appearance depending on damage taken, not exactly like but similar to Lucario's mechanic, or maybe a more dramatic shift mid match like a Samus into ZSS..

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I just realized the possibility of a Mewtwo reveal tomorrow since the new movie is releasing tomorrow in Japan. But then again....Mewtwo would probably just be unlockable again.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I just realized the possibility of a Mewtwo reveal tomorrow since the new movie is releasing tomorrow in Japan. But then again....Mewtwo would probably just be unlockable again.
But they just revealed Olimar today... Don't get your hopes up. If it's anything like the SSBB Dojo, unlockable characters won't be shown at all until the release of the game (at least in Japan).

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
But they just revealed Olimar today... Don't get your hopes up. If it's anything like the SSBB Dojo, unlockable characters won't be shown at all until the release of the game (at least in Japan).
Never said it would happen. I also just realized that Super Luigi U is coming out tomorrow also. :laugh: Theres no way they're revealing either.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd love to see Mewtwo make a return... but what about Zoroark? Did the announcement of X and Y just make us forget about the current gen?

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
So an episode aired in Japan with some scenes of Newtwo....

Just thought you might enjoy...

Oh! and spoilers and all that jazz...

volbound1700

Smash Master
:mewtwomelee: At E3 people asked Sakurai if Mewtwo will be in SSB4 because of his Awakening form and he said "We are thinking about it.". So Mewtwo has a VERY big chance of returning + he already represents the 5th and 6th gen because of his many appearances and big role. Lucario represented gen 4 and had his own movie. Now Mewtwo has that. Between Hg/Ss and X/Y Mewtwo was constantly reminded to us. Zoroark was a coll idea...at first. But the problem is I just don't see him in the game + gen 5 had only a few games. Gen 5's purpose wasn't big. It wasn't long and B/W and B2/W2 only came out at the end of the DS's life.

Now Megaman is in and if Sonic and Mewtwo are in I am going to be so exited.
That quote is pretty much almost confirmation. I notice when they make those statements, it is there way of saying yes but we don't want to confirm it to you to keep speculation.

[Legend]

Smash Cadet
I think Zoroark would be a cool addition but I don't know how likely it would be, his transformation ability seems like it would be either a great character mechanic or something that they aren't able to translate well into this style of game. But if they did he would clearly need to be the high skill cap shang tsung type character that I would be entirely down to master, but with that comes the task of making the base character a force on its own and that seems like a lot of work lol

And Kirby would be upset that there would be somebody out there doing his whole copy shtick infinitely better than him.

While Zoroark would be a cool addition if it came down to Mewtwo needs to return!

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
That video was pretty sweet. And based on how Newtwo acts/transforms in it, I'm leaning more towards a Final Smash variation if he makes it in.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You jinxed it! lol Damn Olimar, hated fighting him in Brawl with the way the Pikmin were often spammed. (Don't hate him as a character though, before peeps start calling me a hater)

But yeah, awesome video.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Hello Mewtwo community. With the release of Olimar and his new added section I was forced to come to the thread of my most wanted newcomer (returnee?).

Hello.

Now as a topic starter, why or why not do you think the new form of Mewtwo should be included in the game (assuming Mewtwo is in the game).

In my opinion, being a Pokemon fan since release date of American Pokemon Red and Blue, Mewtwo has always been in my top 3 favorite Pokemons (behind Haunter, Growlithe and tied with Mew) and quite honestly I do not see his new transformation as holding true to what makes the character itself. I always remember Mewtwo because of how badass he is and feels (in Melee). His new form doesn't quite reflect his badassery at least in my eyes and that is the reason I would much rather have his original form, although I wouldn't be mad if his new form was used as a tranformation or a Final Smash.

I do like how my avatar looks though, I really think they should have gone more for that style of look (like the one on my avatar) where they retain his evil looking eyes and his overall challenging pose.

Anyways I also heard that Mewtwo was getting more than one form, like Deoxys. I think this would entail that he probably won't be using one of his new forms as his "base" form as that would cause his other new forms to be looked down on. I think it rather means that he will probably be on his base form and someone use his forms as a means to change his base stats (speed, weight, floatiness), but that is just a theory, who knows what might actually happen.

What are your thoughts?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Now as a topic starter, why or why not do you think the new form of Mewtwo should be included in the game (assuming Mewtwo is in the game).
It will be in. Because money.

Our complaints about his cut did not fall on deaf ears, and no doubt GAME FREAK is capitalizing on his popularity by showing him off so much more often. The new forme feels more like an excuse to continue cashing in on his name. To me, the design is questionable & mediocre at best. As you say, it really doesn't capture the original essence of the character at all, and feels more like something Mewtwo would've evolved from versus transforming into.

I've heard about him possibly getting a 2nd forme as well. Many of those leaks Pokebeach got a month or two back have almost all been confirmed as true, with the exception of Mewtwo's supposed "2nd" Mew-like forme. I'm betting that will be saved for a future movie, or a future game. Deoxys had his Attack and Defense formes, then randomly got the Speed forme to help promote Emerald.
In Mewtwo's case, maybe one forme is exclusive to X, and the other exclusive to Y?

Whatever the case, I just hope him having multiple formes doesn't screw up his chances of joining the roster like it did Deoxys, especially with the 3DS hindering progress.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
New form looks like baby Mewtwo, not his alternate form, so I'd rather it not be included, or at least pushed off into a Final Smash. And the toes and fingers look downright silly. If he has multiple forms, I think he's unlikely to include any, since I doubt Sakurai's going to spend the time on two triple transformation characters for Pokemon, and I really doubt PT will get the axe. Plus, I don't think he'll try the same gimmick twice. Using just one alt form would seem weird IMO if he has multiple ones. There's plenty of changes M2 needs, but becoming another poorly designed and balanced transforming character is most certainly not one of them.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I do wish he looked more like the design in Raykz's avatar.

This looks so much better IMO. Captures his powerful essence better. Still, no use crying about what's already done. It's not like it's a bad design but it just looks unfitting for Mewtwo whose design was one of the best.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Though it will be featured, the final call on how it is implemented is up to Sakurai. I wouldn't be surprised if his personal opinion of Newtwo's design influenced his decision. There are also art-to-gameplay relations Sakurai has to consider: "Does this new form subtract focus from his normal design? Can it be integrated into gameplay in a logical and visually appealing way? How would its addition best compliment Mewtwo: as a transformation or as a final smash, for example? If his Final Smash simply consists of him transforming into Newtwo and doing a single move, would it really have more impact than if he stayed in his normal form? Again, does its presence compliment, or distract from, the Mewtwo 'experience'?"

Sakurai does take orders from other parts of Nintendo as to what should be included, but he gets a lot of control over how it is included. If Sakurai really despised the new form on a character design standpoint, it might just end up as a trophy. On the other hand, if he loves it, it could end up replacing Mewtwo entirely.

Personally, I think it looks dumb. However, I respect the fact that it has brought one of my favorite characters of all time back into the franchise spotlight.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Well, after having seen that 20 minute video I am almost convinced that Mewtwo will retain his original base form.

In the anime he seems to only transform in order to perform a few attacks and then he just detransforms back into his original form. Kind of like Goku going super saiyan just to do a kame-hame-ha against Kooler or to finish his spirit bomb against Kid Buu and then instantly going back to normal form after performing the attack.

This sort of leads me to believe that it will be used as a Final Smash.

bobadz

Smash Ace
movie 16 synopsis.

Here are the basic plot points of the Genesect film. Like last year’s movie, the film was relatively short. It had a few touching moments (specifically related to Douse Drive Genesect), but overall, there wasn’t much meat to the film. It seems like the writers had an idea for the end, but didn’t know what to do for the middle of the movie. It was just: the Genesect fire an attack, Mewtwo / wild Pokemon / Pikachu / Douse Drive Genesect stop it, rinse and repeat. And of course, the Mewtwo is different and Ash did not remember what a Mewtwo. Typical.
Ash asked Mewtwo who she is. No one had ever seen a Mewtwo before.
Mewtwo was cloned from Mew by different scientists, who are evil, then unintentionally blew up their lab and killed them after they were shocking her with electrodes and she was trying to push them away.
Mewtwo traveled away and got zapped by lightning in a storm, then fell to the ground and into a cave. Some Pokemon nursed it back to health.
Mewtwo’s new forme is obviously some sort of speed forme.
Genesect were revived from fossils by Team Plasma then escaped.
The Genesect attack New Tork City because it reminds them of their home from prehistoric times and they want to take over. They try to make a nest for themselves.
The Genesect with the Douse Drive gets close to Ash and crew and protects them. He has a little boy’s voice and is nostalgic for a flower that is growing in New Tork City that is from their home. He is not aggressive at all and is portrayed as “cute.”
Red Genesect is a meany and tells the other Genesect to attack everyone, but it’s not really evil. However it can force the other Genesect to fight against their will (which happens with Douse Drive Genesect a lot). As they attack Ash and crew, Mewtwo saves the day.
The rest of the film is about Mewtwo trying to convince the Genesect to go with her – they are unneeded Pokemon born unnaturally, so they should go somewhere else together.
Red Genesect and Mewtwo zoom around the entire city. The worst of the damage is a few smashed walls.
The Genesect nest catches fire because it is feeding into the city’s generators. While the wild Pokemon have been attacking the Genesect the entire film (and vice versa), they help put the fire out and the Genesect are touched. They stop fighting.
At the end, Red Genesect isn’t listening to anyone so Mewtwo grabs it and zooms up into space. Both lose consciousness. They wake up and watch the sun peak around the Earth, learning that they are part of this world or whatever, then fall back through the atmosphere at uncontrollable speeds. Red Genesect helps Mewtwo as they fall and the two take each others hands. The other Genesect form a web to break the fall, Charizard and Dragonite help, and the Psychic-type wild Pokemon form a bubble from a pond to stop them from hitting the ground.
The Genesect make their home in New Tork City and form a new nest near the flowers.
Mewtwo leaves, but then at the end of the film is watching over the city.
A wild Sableye and Feraligatr were heavily featured in the film. Feraligatr because it was needed to put out the fires, Sableye for no real reason. Perhaps it will have an evolution in X/Y, so they decided to promote it here?
At some point in the film there was a shot of New Tork City on fire with thick clouds of black smoke (one of the characters was describing what would happen if the Genesect nest continued to expand into the city’s electrical systems). It looked very much like 9/11. When we walked out of the theater we all simultaneously stated that we think the shot will be cut out of the American dub. XD

http://pokebeach.com/2013/07/new-pokemon-revealed-following-genesect-film

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I do wish he looked more like the design in Raykz's avatar.

This looks so much better IMO. Captures his powerful essence better. Still, no use crying about what's already done. It's not like it's a bad design but it just looks unfitting for Mewtwo whose design was one of the best.
Agreed. Kinda wish the actual Awakened form looked more mature like that, for lack of better word.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Can we get a synopsis of the prologue special that explained the new form?
The new Mewtwo just changes forme in the middle of battle intentionally, surprising the person who was tracking it. There's no explanation, other than "it just can". The prologue was just more cashing in on Mewtwo, as it actually explained less than what the movie already talked about. Bad writing all the way across the sky.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo being struck by lightning and falling down is kind of dissapointing...

Steelia

Smash Champion
Mewtwo being struck by lightning and falling down is kind of dissapointing...
Seeing how she had just been birthed... was tortured by scientists... and exhausted most of her powers fighting some crazy hunter who attacked her with a Tyranitar, two Escavalier, and even more torture devices... I'd say being felled by lightning after all that is pretty reasonable. Even the first Mewtwo couldn't tank being electrocuted for several minutes by Giovanni's machines (though it didn't stop him from later going Super Saiyan and erasing memories).

Well, after having seen that 20 minute video I am almost convinced that Mewtwo will retain his original base form.
In the anime he seems to only transform in order to perform a few attacks and then he just detransforms back into his original form. Kind of like Goku going super saiyan just to do a kame-hame-ha against Kooler or to finish his spirit bomb against Kid Buu and then instantly going back to normal form after performing the attack.
This sort of leads me to believe that it will be used as a Final Smash.
And this, I'd have to agree with. I thought the Awakened Forme would be a more permanent transformation, like Giratina's Origin forme. Mewtwo's was a temporary and very situational transformation. If that's the case, it's a shame we won't be seeing Psystrike as the possible Final Smash. But it'd be fun running around in the super-speedy Awakened forme Super Sonic style.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Seeing how she had just been birthed... was tortured by scientists... and exhausted most of her powers fighting some crazy hunter who attacked her with a Tyranitar, two Escavalier, and even more torture devices... I'd say being felled by lightning after all that is pretty reasonable. Even the first Mewtwo couldn't tank being electrocuted for several minutes by Giovanni's machines (though it didn't stop him from later going Super Saiyan and erasing memories).

And this, I'd have to agree with. I thought the Awakened Forme would be a more permanent transformation, like Giratina's Origin forme. Mewtwo's was a temporary and very situational transformation. If that's the case, it's a shame we won't be seeing Psystrike as the possible Final Smash. But it'd be fun running around in the super-speedy Awakened forme Super Sonic style.
Ummm, so this is a new Mewtwo, that's kind of weird but she being a new Mewtwo (even though it sort of goes against logic) makes it kind of ok that her transformation looks like that.

I do hope that Sm4sh Mewtwo will retain his old personality and overall feel to the character (basically keep old Mewtwo's essence).

And I also do hope Psystrike is still used. I was thinking it could be hise Side-B so that it could replace Confusion, which honestly was horrible in Melee. I was thinking they could also mesh Confusion and Disable into one ability. Sort of making it put your opponent on shield stun animation if it hits him and also having real missile reflection properties (you know, not only changing its direction) (Also I was thinking of giving it a small debuff mechanic but I'll go more onto that later)

But yeah, Psystrike for his Side-B would be awesome. I know it seems like a Final Smash ability, but I bet it could be real good as a Side-B.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer Psystrike replace Down B if anything. While Confusion was pretty damn useless, the concept was really awesome- IMO, he needs some form of ranged command grab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom