• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I'd love to see Mewtwo, and his "new" form added to the game. But since he was removed from Brawl, and a new generation is in the horizon, I sadly doubt it.
That said, IF he is added back, his final smash should be 'evolving' to his form and using a powerful attack; similar to Samus'. Now, if the final smash is used a second time, just a powerful attack happens and no devolving.

The inherent problem with this is that you would essentially be locking out half a character from competitive play. Unless Final Smashes are severely rebalanced to make them more fair (which would completely negate the point of having them in the first place), you'd never be able to even get to Awakened Mewtwo, much less play as him/her.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No, different thing entirely.
The system I had in mind is that a player is given the option to change into Awakened Forme as a reward for doing exceptionally well in the match. With a special button command, Mewtwo transforms into a stronger, faster character. The downside is that he's now lighter and easier to KO, turning him into a Glass Cannon.
If Awakened Mewtwo is KO'd, he respawns as regular Mewtwo, and cannot transform again until the requirements for the reward are met again.

Conversely, there is also the additional idea similar to a Pity Final Smash, in that if a player is doing exceptionally bad, they will respawn next time they are KO'd as Awakened Mewtwo (but will once again respawn as regular Mewtwo if KO'd again).
It's similar enough. And no, I'd rather see it as a Final Smash- based transformation. And also selectable in a different way, like Zero Suit Samus. Though, with far less changes in general moveset than say, Samus / Zero Suit Samus and Zelda / Sheik.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see Mewtwo, and his "new" form added to the game. But since he was removed from Brawl, and a new generation is in the horizon, I sadly doubt it.
That said, IF he is added back, his final smash should be 'evolving' to his form and using a powerful attack; similar to Samus'. Now, if the final smash is used a second time, just a powerful attack happens and no devolving.

You have to consider that he was cut because of time constraints, not by choice. He has a very good chance to come back.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He also has to consider that Mewtwo was actually planned, and had the most character files from all the characters from the Forbidden 7. He might've simply been outprioritized by Jigglypuff as she was a veteran since 64, and was easier to create.

peeup

Smash Lord
Depending on how he transforms into his new form in X/Y, it could be cool for Mewtwo in Sm4sh to have a kind of super meter, and filling it allows you to transform into Mewthree for a brief time. That'd kinda be like what you described, Golden. Like the meter would fill up for doing combos, and other good happy stuff.

To keep it balanced, normal Mewtwo would be a very subpar character, but Mewthree would be very above par.

peeup

Smash Lord
I'm prayin to God that he's low tier again. It'll make it all the more satisfying when I whoop some tuchas with him.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
As long as he isn't Metaknight OP, I want Mewtwo to finally have the tier ranking befitting his canon power.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pray for good tech chasing, techniques, wavedashing and mind game skills then.

Mewtwo is a good Christian example, so you'll might get it answered earlier if you do it in Jesus' name.

NINmann01

Smash Rookie
I think a great unrecognized mechanic that very few, if any one, is recognizing that for Mewtwo's new move-set which would also be relevant with X&Y would be the inclusion of it's new power to transform into it's Awakening form. This form could have it's own moves in the same way Zelda and Sheik, and Samus and the Zero Suit have.

Could allow them to reintroduce Mewtwo and make him fresh and unique from his Melee appearance.

peeup

Smash Lord
I think a great unrecognized mechanic that very few, if any one, is recognizing that for Mewtwo's new move-set which would also be relevant with X&Y would be the inclusion of it's new power to transform into it's Awakening form. This form could have it's own moves in the same way Zelda and Sheik, and Samus and the Zero Suit have.

Could allow them to reintroduce Mewtwo and make him fresh and unique from his Melee appearance.
I think 99% of these boards are advocating/predicting/thinking about this "great unrecognized mechanic." But yeah, it would be foolish to not include Mewthree somehow.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Again I will say that I do not care for the new form.

I hope its appearance is relegated to being a Final Smash.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Mewtwo will be a top tier character in SSB4.

I'm calling it right here, right now.

That'd certainly be an epic reversal. it was such a disappointment to see a character as amazing as Mewtwo do so poorly gameplay wise. Sigh.

NINmann01

Smash Rookie
In all the forums I have seen online I haven't seen or heard anything relating to Mewtwo's new form. I guess I just haven't been in the right places ;)

If Mewtwo does return, this would be a fine Final Smash or a transformation move. As long as he better represents what we think Mewtwo would feel like, fast, sleek, powerful. And not so much the slow lumbering block he was in Melee.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo and Awakened Mewtwo as semi clones please. And with semi-clones I mean, as different in their moveset as Ness and Lucas, but with stat distribution more close to Ganondorf and Captain Falcon.

NINmann01

Smash Rookie
Mewtwo and Awakened Mewtwo as semi clones please. And with semi-clones I mean, as different in their moveset as Ness and Lucas, but with stat distribution more close to Ganondorf and Captain Falcon.
I wouldn't like that. I would feel that adding two of the exact same Pokemon, just in different forms, as two completely different characters is ludicrous.
And a lot of players have a hate for clones of any kind already. Adding more is an illogical move.
Combine them, have one, or the other.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's the exact same thing as Samus / Zero Suit Samus and Zelda / Sheik. However you want to look at it, both characters are still Samus and Zelda.

NINmann01

Smash Rookie
It's the exact same thing as Samus / Zero Suit Samus and Zelda / Sheik. However you want to look at it, both characters are still Samus and Zelda.
You did not clarify that it was still a transformation, I had the impression you meant as two distinct characters. Sorry about that.
If they add both, then (I feel) there should be more of a distinction between the two. If it is Mewtwo's final smash, then it being a faster, flying version of Mewtwo with the same moves seems very reasonable to me. On the other hand if it is a replacement of disable and is a transformation, not only should the behavior be different, the moves should be as well.

D

Deleted member

Trailer for the prologue of Mewtwo's Awakening that we'll see on July 11th.

.....judging by what people translated, it may be another Mewtwo after all.
Either that or Mewtwo's character development from Returns is retconned, as this 'Two is back to the whole "strongest Pokémon" and "where do I belong" mindset.

EDIT: .....and it seems to use Aura Sphere at the very beginning, rather than Shadow Ball.
.....oh God.....Lucario.....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
God save Lucario.

Mewtwo could use a move or two from the trailer though.

And wow, I'm so out of touch with Pokémon anime that I didn't recognize a single human in the trailer. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

God save Lucario.

Mewtwo could use a move or two from the trailer though.

And wow, I'm so out of touch with Pokémon anime that I didn't recognize a single human in the trailer. :laugh:
All of them are new aside from the blonde boy, who is the guy with the Eevee set that won the Unova cup.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
Is it really a new Mewtwo? I remember reading the director saying that we will find out how Mewtwo changed since Returns.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I really really hope that it is a new pokemon all together
but if not my form changing system is this: when you are at the starting screen you can choose between the two like Zelda/Sheik but instead of having a transform move every time he takes 50% damage he very quickly turns onto the other form and when he hits 100% he changes back and visa verruca (this is 50 HP for stamina mode)

peeup

Smash Lord
Perhaps Mewtwo should have a new Down Special that transforms him into Mewthree. Mewthree would have all the same moves, but would be slower/faster/heavier/lighter/floatier/fastfallier/stronger/weaker/etc. Could be a cool way to deal with various matchups.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't care about Lucario anyway. Especially if they're planning on keeping that Aura mechanic. The trailer looked nice. Mewtwo slapping the **** out of Tyranitar was awesome.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If anything that trailer made me think Newtwo will be more physically/speed based (tackling Tyranitars ftw), whilst regular Mewtwo focuses on specials/range.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Thing about Awakened is it appears to just be an enhanced form Mewtwo can take on (for the easiest comparison, I guess it'd be like if Mewtwo could turn Super Saiyan). While I'm sure you could go the Zelda/Shiek route, Mewthree has no real logical changes that can be made. I guess they can just give him 3 new specials and some modified A moves, I'd think the final smash route is more likely.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
The only way this can not be a new form is game-to-anime discrepancy.

In which case, Newtwo would be a different Pokemon altogether in the games, but in the movie Mewtwo has the ability to transform into one. Or he's repeatedly switching places with a separate entity.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo is hot in the movies, gets a new form innGen 6, is hugely enourmously amazing,y popular and well known, was playable in Melee, and was part of the infamous 'Forbidden Seven' in Brawl. He should be in, and he should mpbe awesome. No excuses.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I REALLY hope that lucario isn't cut for mewtwo. I like him better.

sorryicanhavemyopinionstooyouknow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom