• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
ok, because mewtwo keeps getting brought up in the ridley thread... i have to ask... WHY THE HELL ARE PEOPLE SO SURE HE IS COMING BACK?!

didnt people HATE mewtwo in melee? i swear i read somewhere that people just complained about him being impossible to use or something, so he was taken out... which made people inexplicably miss him and brought him back themselves with project M...

now everyone wants mewtwo back for SSB4... it sounded like the fans were the reason he was taken out, so why would he come back?

im not against it, but i am confused... i liked mewtwo, personally... but apparently alot of other people didnt.

now im seeing things like "mewtwo is top priority" and crap... which makes no sense.

SOMEONE CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME!
Head on over to the Mewtwo forum. Basically. There's no reason he shouldn't be in the game. Same as Ridley. But we don't have nearly as much proof supporting him as this forum does. The only reason he wasn't in Brawl is because of time constraints and other technical difficulties.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
So hey guys, the recent Miiverse photo is a Pokemon stage - I believe it's N's Castle. I guess we can rule out Mewtwo as a boss.

ok, because mewtwo keeps getting brought up in the ridley thread... i have to ask... WHY THE HELL ARE PEOPLE SO SURE HE IS COMING BACK?!

didnt people HATE mewtwo in melee? i swear i read somewhere that people just complained about him being impossible to use or something, so he was taken out... which made people inexplicably miss him and brought him back themselves with project M...

now everyone wants mewtwo back for SSB4... it sounded like the fans were the reason he was taken out, so why would he come back?

im not against it, but i am confused... i liked mewtwo, personally... but apparently alot of other people didnt.

now im seeing things like "mewtwo is top priority" and crap... which makes no sense.

You have 151 pages of reasons, my friend. And if you look up the Mewtwo/K. Rool rating thread, you'll get your answers much easier.

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul

The only people that 'hated' him are the ones that never actually bothered to learn how to play him correctly or took the time to understand how his character worked. Instead they were like 'hurrdurr too weak and floaty, dies too easily dis character suckss hurrdurr i play fox and b gud n rek ppl'

Why wouldn't people want him back for SSB4? He was planned for every game with limitations and glitches being some of the reasons he was cut. He's the most requested character for Smash 4 currently. PM is just an obvious example of how much people want him back. I doubt fans were the reason he was cut.

Mewtwo being top priority makes complete sense. Look at the popularity of this thread.

Steelia

Smash Champion

Mewtwo wasn't great in SSBM. But you know whot? Bowser was even worse in the last two games, but people wouldn't want him cut because he's friikin Bowser. Look at him now! The most used character in the SDCC 3DS tournament, and one of the best characters in the game overall. Improvements are possible.

We seriously doubt the Mewtwo we saw in SSBM will be repeated. He's been scheduled for the last three Smash games, and has risen again in relevance and popularity thanks to the movie last year, his appearance in Pokemon X/Y and other titles, and his two Mega Evolutions. Just about every major news outlet labeled Mewtwo's cut as a con, and fans responded the same. Then there's things like this... Yeah... He's wanted. The only reason he was cut to begin with was due to bugs and SSE development in the last game (which also were semi-responsible for the cutting of Roy), not because fans didn't like how he was portrayed in SSBM.

I have no idea how the discussion of Mewtwo invaded the Ridley topic, but his chances are pretty great. He hasn't been shown as a Pokemon/Master Ball summon, stage hazard or stage boss, and was only presumably teased in the Greninja trailer (Greninja's silhouette purpoosely altered so that it looked less like Greninja and more like Mewtwo). The reason we believe he's top priority now is due largely to the fan demand, and hopefully so they could fix the kinks that prevented him from returning in the last game.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Can we get a mod to post these "reasons why Mewtwo would be in" on the first page? Like in the Ridley thread? I feel like it's necessary given how we usually just repeat ourselves every few pages to newcomers in this thread.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I have no idea how the discussion of Mewtwo invaded the Ridley topic, but his chances are pretty great. He hasn't been shown as a Pokemon/Master Ball summon, stage hazard or stage boss, and was only presumably teased in the Greninja trailer (Greninja's silhouette purpoosely altered so that it looked less like Greninja and more like Mewtwo). The reason we believe he's top priority now is due largely to the fan demand, and hopefully so they could fix the kinks that prevented him from returning in the last game.
Am I the only one who immediatly knew it was Greninja in that trailer? Seriously he looked NOTHING like Mewtwo, and the handsign gave it away immediatly even if one didn't notice the obvious Greninja-Frog-Hands and the scarf.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Am I the only one who immediatly knew it was Greninja in that trailer? Seriously he looked NOTHING like Mewtwo, and the handsign gave it away immediatly even if one didn't notice the obvious Greninja-Frog-Hands and the scarf.
Nope. I couldn't see the trailer until after work, so I got spoiled by Crunchyroll's news when I saw the Sugimori artwork for Greninja and the others. Even then, I would have been able to tell it's not Mewtwo because he was upside down...and the water shuriken and ninja sign was pretty obvious, too.

Edit: And if it's any consolation, I saw one reaction video where the guy didn't even think Mewtwo at all.

Last edited:

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Nope. I couldn't see the trailer until after work, so I got spoiled by Crunchyroll's news when I saw the Sugimori artwork for Greninja and the others. Even then, I would have been able to tell it's not Mewtwo because he was upside down...and the water shuriken and ninja sign was pretty obvious, too.

Edit: And if it's any consolation, I saw one reaction video where the guy didn't even think Mewtwo at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7XVDaia004
Yeah this guy wasn't fooled.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
People saw what they were expecting to see. To be honest I thought of Mewtwo at first but the second I saw the water shuriken I knew it wasn't him.

To me though, it does look as if Greninja's body was altered while still in the shadows but this could all just be them using weird angles.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
He single handedly saved the Pokemon series back when the first movie came out.
Exactly how did that work out? I'm sorry, but you must be mistaken. Pokemon as a franchise has never been in any real danger of dying out after its initial success.

The closest "saving" I can think of would be Mew for the original Red and Blue, something that a developer secretly slipped in which introduced a feature that would later become a staple of the Pokemon franchise: game-affecting real-life events.

So when did Smashbros-Miiverse host a poll, and how do I vote on it?

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Exactly how did that work out? I'm sorry, but you must be mistaken. Pokemon as a franchise has never been in any real danger of dying out after its initial success.

The closest I can think of would be Mew for the original Red and Blue, something that a developer secretly slipped in which introduced a feature that would later become a staple of the Pokemon franchise: game-affecting real-life events.

So when did Smashbros-Miiverse host a poll, and how do I vote on it?
The Miiverse poll is from a fan site. Only like 50 people voted or something so it's not accurate.

I may be wrong but around the time I remember Pokemon was supposed to be cancelled or something in Australia and the movie's popularity brought it back.

Edit:
Link to Facebook page post: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=285734901614023&id=212346792286168

Last edited:

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Sugimori was originally going to end the franchise after the release of Gold/Silver/Crystal. That's the only time I've ever heard of Pokemon being in "Danger".

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's funny. A month ago I was talking to some friends and what stages we wanted to see. My proposition was N's Castle from BW with Reshiram and Zekrom as stage hazards like Dialga and Palkia. I was under the impression that it wouldn't happen.

I have 2 things to say.

1. Buildup? Will a new Pokemon be revealed?
1.5. Will said reveal be done anime style like Palutena?
2. HOLY **** SAKURAI PLEASE PUT N'S FINAL BOSS THEME HERE THE COMBINATION IS DOWNRIGHT PERFECT

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
With the inclusion of Reshiram and Zekrom as the obligatory Pokemon stage hazards, do you think this reduces the possibility of Mewtwo being relegated to boss status?

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Yessir.

Also, as a matter of interest, what would yall's reaction be if Sakurai posted a pic of the day that portrayed Mewtwo as a trophy and actually outright says he won't be playable again?
I think I would really be angry but its not that bad,if you asked me in 2013 when I thought 2 of my favorites have 0 chance(Lucario and Greninja) then I would've went insane.Now I'm good but Mewtwo is still my most wanted.

I want this POTD to hint toward Mewtwo
"Look at this cave,it is cerulean cave from the pokemon games.It is a very special cave that you can only get to after you beat the game,there's also a super powerful pokemon here.
Pic 2(same day):
A white/gray tail in the cave,I wonder what this is...
No official word on Mewtwo's playability til after Japanese release.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
I think I would really be angry but its not that bad,if you asked me in 2013 when I thought 2 of my favorites have 0 chance(Lucario and Greninja) then I would've went insane.Now I'm good but Mewtwo is still my most wanted.

"Look at this cave,it is cerulean cave from the pokemon games.It is a very special cave that you can only get to after you beat the game,there's also a super powerful pokemon here.
Pic 2(same day):
That would be perfect. I honestly don't think we will get a reveal though. Its a shame. Mewtwo would look awesome in the HD trailer.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Went ahead and browsed the SmashWiki and read the article on :marthmelee:, where it said he was a heavily requested character for Melee. We all know :sonic: and :4megaman: were heavily requested characters in Brawl & SSB4 and Sakurai listened to the fans.

That said, I wonder if he's keeping an open-mind and really going to bring back the heavily requested :mewtwomelee:.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Went ahead and browsed the SmashWiki and read the article on :marthmelee:, where it said he was a heavily requested character for Melee. We all know :sonic: and :4megaman: were heavily requested characters in Brawl & SSB4 and Sakurai listened to the fans.

That said, I wonder if he's keeping an open-mind and really going to bring back the heavily requested :mewtwomelee:.
He is. Just look at the characters we have already. Little Mac?....Robin?....yeahhh....Mega Man?!!?
Get the picture? lol

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015

You're missing the fact that he can obviously be changed up.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
You're missing the fact that he can obviously be changed up.
I really dislike the argument that because Mewtwo was bad in competitive terms it must somehow mean he is a worthless character. If you put characters into Smash 4 going by if they were good in Melee or Brawl more than half the cast would be cut. It's so stupid and annoys the hell out of me every time I see it.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Let's count a few reasons:

1. Project M happened and showed determination, even if Nintendo cannot acknowledge it.
2. Mewtwo's popularity skyrocketed with Extremespeed Genesect, Pokemon Origins, and X/Y.
3. Movesets can obviously be changed and the addition of new Psychic type moves(and Psystrike) make it easier.
4. Bowser's performance at SDCC proves that a bottom tier can improve with proper change, Mewtwo is no different.
5. He has NO REASON to be cut. No time constraints, no bugs, no nothing(as far as we know). He was cut from Brawl for time. SSE is gone, so no reason for cutting down on character work.
6. Mewtwo is badass :3 (not a valid reason, but my reason)

deadch1llzSSB

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2681-0294-8837
Let's count a few reasons:

1. Project M happened and showed determination, even if Nintendo cannot acknowledge it.
2. Mewtwo's popularity skyrocketed with Extremespeed Genesect, Pokemon Origins, and X/Y.
3. Movesets can obviously be changed and the addition of new Psychic type moves(and Psystrike) make it easier.
4. Bowser's performance at SDCC proves that a bottom tier can improve with proper change, Mewtwo is no different.
5. He has NO REASON to be cut. No time constraints, no bugs, no nothing(as far as we know). He was cut from Brawl for time. SSE is gone, so no reason for cutting down on character work.
6. Mewtwo is badass :3 (not a valid reason, but my reason)
I agree

Last edited by a moderator:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Can we get a mod to post these "reasons why Mewtwo would be in" on the first page? Like in the Ridley thread? I feel like it's necessary given how we usually just repeat ourselves every few pages to newcomers in this thread.
I would totally love to own this thread. :p

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Mewtwo was supposed to be in SSB64 right? What does Melee's Japanese site say about him? Wonder Why Sakurai choose Mewtwo to be in SSBM?

Last edited:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993

Pic 2(same day):
That would be awesome. I really think that Sakurai will add Mewtwo this time after all he only cut him b4 because he ran out of time.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Well obviously after the water shuriken it was obvious it wasn't Mewtwo. But for the first few seconds it seemed like Mewtwo given that both Mewtwo and Greninja have anthropomorphic features and everyone was expecting Mewtwo. How could you have immediately guessed Greninja? Not even the Gematsu leak was able to tell. After the water shuriken, I did guess Greninja, but not before. There was no time to think logically about it seeing as it was only 5 seconds or so.

PS, Since we (presumably) got N's Castle, I can't wait to hear the remixed Smash version of this track:

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
It's funny. A month ago I was talking to some friends and what stages we wanted to see. My proposition was N's Castle from BW with Reshiram and Zekrom as stage hazards like Dialga and Palkia. I was under the impression that it wouldn't happen.

I have 2 things to say.

1. Buildup? Will a new Pokemon be revealed?
1.5. Will said reveal be done anime style like Palutena?
2. HOLY **** SAKURAI PLEASE PUT N'S FINAL BOSS THEME HERE THE COMBINATION IS DOWNRIGHT PERFECT
N's Castle absolutely dwarfs the Champion Building, yet I don't see it there. You think he could be referring to Alder or Iris?

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Well obviously after the water shuriken it was obvious it wasn't Mewtwo. But for the first few seconds it seemed like Mewtwo given that both Mewtwo and Greninja have anthropomorphic features and everyone was expecting Mewtwo. How could you have immediately guessed Greninja? Not even the Gematsu leak was able to tell. After the water shuriken, I did guess Greninja, but not before. There was no time to think logically about it seeing as it was only 5 seconds or so.

PS, Since we (presumably) got N's Castle, I can't wait to hear the remixed Smash version of this track:
I was able to guess it before, because (to me at least) Greninjas hands look 100 times more froglike than Mewtwos. Also , Naruto handsign, and Greninja also used a handsign seen in Naruto in the games. Not that hard to tell, really. But maybe thats just me.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I was able to guess it before, because (to me at least) Greninjas hands look 100 times more froglike than Mewtwos. Also , Naruto handsign, and Greninja also used a handsign seen in Naruto in the games. Not that hard to tell, really. But maybe thats just me.
That's strange. Greninja's hands were altered in the first look to be more slender. :3 In case you hadn't noticed. They weren't frog-like at all at first.
I wonder why that is....:150::troll:

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
N's Castle absolutely dwarfs the Champion Building, yet I don't see it there. You think he could be referring to Alder or Iris?
That could just as easily be a stage transition. Yes, that's the Champion building, but who says it can't work like the League in the Wii U version or Prism Tower in this very version?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
That could just as easily be a stage transition. Yes, that's the Champion building, but who says it can't work like the League in the Wii U version or Prism Tower in this very version?
Yeah, in another thread, someone pointed out the castle rises out of the ground, so it may do that here too.

Either way, this makes me very happy. Gen V is by far my favorite gen, and seeing it not being totally skipped over is great.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Frankly I think the only reason why mewtwo couldn't be in this game will be due to a very serious bug or glitch, but probably since brawl they have already figured out how to do him.

I mean, Sakurai thinks mewtwo is relevant (made into melee as an original character, considered for both 64 and brawl, and cut only dueto technical stuff)

Pokemon fans consider mewtwo relevant, being the second most popular pokemon below charizard. with apeal to both casual and competitive players (mewtwo was probably one of the 3 most threatening pokemon in uber 5th gen, only below Arceus and Kyogre(haven't played 6th gen ubers))

Game freak considers mewtwo relevant, wasn'tconcidence than he got 2 megaevolutions, (Only shared with charizard) a new amazing signature move on 5th gen, and another movie.

Smash fanbase consider him relevant, probably the most wanted character in west and dunno how it is in japan, but i'm sure he is also VERY popular there, plus project M.

So frankly we can say that mewtwo IS very relevant to smash.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
That's strange. Greninja's hands were altered in the first look to be more slender. :3 In case you hadn't noticed. They weren't frog-like at all at first.
I wonder why that is....:150::troll:
Uhm, they were extremely froglike to me...It might have to do with how many times i watched Mewtwo fire that psychic spheres in the first movie, those things he creates between his 3-fingered hands and chucks at mew.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Frankly I think the only reason why mewtwo couldn't be in this game will be due to a very serious bug or glitch, but probably since brawl they have already figured out how to do him.

I mean, Sakurai thinks mewtwo is relevant (made into melee as an original character, considered for both 64 and brawl, and cut only dueto technical stuff)

Pokemon fans consider mewtwo relevant, being the second most popular pokemon below charizard. with apeal to both casual and competitive players (mewtwo was probably one of the 3 most threatening pokemon in uber 5th gen, only below Arceus and Kyogre(haven't played 6th gen ubers))

Game freak considers mewtwo relevant, wasn'tconcidence than he got 2 megaevolutions, (Only shared with charizard) a new amazing signature move on 5th gen, and another movie.

Smash fanbase consider him relevant, probably the most wanted character in west and dunno how it is in japan, but i'm sure he is also VERY popular there, plus project M.

So frankly we can say that mewtwo IS very relevant to smash.
Well said. The argument for his exclusion usually comes down to 'he was left out of Brawl, so he'll be left out again'. Even though he was left out of Brawl to time constraints/Sonic/SSE. This pretty much kills the only argument used against him.

haven't played 6th gen ubers
Please don't. Unless you like seeing Xerneas literally everywhere.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Said it before, but the strongest evidence Mewtwo has isn't the Greninja fakeout (assuming it was intentional) it's that he's still absent. He could have been easily shown as a Master Ball Pokemon, but he wasn't. Plus, unlike Genesect, there's been no sightings of him as one.

Sure, you could argue that he was nothing more than a trophy in Brawl, but think about it: He was intended to be a playable character, but was dropped due to the reasons I mentioned a few posts up. As a result, I think they just hurriedly made him into a trophy without giving him a role as a PokeBall Pokemon because they had no plans for that.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Said it before, but the strongest evidence Mewtwo has isn't the Greninja fakeout (assuming it was intentional) it's that he's still absent. He could have been easily shown as a Master Ball Pokemon, but he wasn't. Plus, unlike Genesect, there's been no sightings of him as one.

Sure, you could argue that he was nothing more than a trophy in Brawl, but think about it: He was intended to be a playable character, but was dropped due to the reasons I mentioned a few posts up. As a result, I think they just hurriedly made him into a trophy without giving him a role as a PokeBall Pokemon because they had no plans for that.
If not mewtwo as playable character in brawl was what the team wanted, he would have been at least a boss on SSE or at very least in a pokeball...as you point , the lack of role kinda just confirm this more.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Head on over to the Mewtwo forum. Basically. There's no reason he shouldn't be in the game. Same as Ridley. But we don't have nearly as much proof supporting him as this forum does. The only reason he wasn't in Brawl is because of time constraints and other technical difficulties.
...i thought i WAS in the mewtwo forum?

god, how many damn forums do you people have for one character?

again, as much as i'd like to see mewtwo back, i just find it weird that people are saying he is "top priority" sometimes.

also, saying this topic is popular... compare it to the ridley topic... that thing is over 1300 pages now. :/

anyway, dont get me wrong... i loved mewtwo, he's probably my favorite legendary pokemon, and one of my top favorites overall, i would love to see him return... im just being cautious, we still have a ton of characters from brawl who still have not have their status revealed in the current game, and then there is ridley... can we really hope the roster is big enough to fit all of these characters?

Last edited:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I would just be happy if Mewtwo is in but I'm afraid he won't be revealed in a newcomer video and he will instead be a hidden character that won't be announced. Again I would just be happy that he is in, but I'd rather see him revealed in a glorious hd newcomer trailer over a leak or pic from the Japanese version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom