• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Nintendo has confirmed Chrom is NOT playable
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/14/super-smash-bros-gets-four-new-fighters? main twitter
And I quote
"Update: Nintendo has clarified that Chrom will not be a playable character in Super Smash Bros.

As a result, today's announcement revealed three fighters: the returning Captain Falcon, and newcomers Lucina and Robin."
Oh. Well why did they use an announcer to say his name?! Haha. Not that I care about Chrom. Robin's awesome though :D

Did you guys notice Robin's "Nosferatu" attack is almost similar to Mewtwo's neutral A/rapid jab?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm disappointed at the fact that the Rayman trophy was merely false hype. While I still stand strong for Mewtwo's inclusion, the fact that 2 more needless Fire Emblem reps have arrived has marked the first time I am legimimately mad at Sakurai for once. As someone who rolls with other character choices like its nothing, this is the first time I've snapped. At least Greninja is in. But...so underwhelming.

Stand strong, Mewtwo believers. Despite this kick in the nuts, we have 2 months to go. Pray.

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to you fire emblem fans, but for me personally, today was very disapointing. I have no interest in the fire emblem characters. It was nice to see Captain Falcon confirmed, but there was no doubt hed be in it anyway. Congrats Fire emblem fans :)

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Well I'm just glad Sakurai didn't do to Mewtwo what he did to Chrom. Definitely just a waiting game for Mewtwo.

I can hear Sakurai saying "SUCK IT GEMATSU!"

I'm disappointed at the fact that the Rayman trophy was merely false hype. While I still stand strong for Mewtwo's inclusion, the fact that 2 more needless Fire Emblem reps have arrived has marked the first time I am legimimately mad at Sakurai for once. As someone who rolls with other character choices like its nothing, this is the first time I've snapped. At least Greninja is in. But...so underwhelming.

Stand strong, Mewtwo believers. Despite this kick in the nuts, we have 2 months to go. Pray.
Meh, this doesn't mean anything for Mewtwo. Pokemon had 6 reps last time and I'm sure everyone else was complaining. In all fairness, I think we should be happy for other characters. I'm not a huge Fire Emblem fan but good for them. Also, Sakurai is a well known troll, at this point it's just funny :p

Mewtwo will be in eventually.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion

I really, really don't think we'll be seeing the fate of Mewtwo until game's release. Looks like Sakurai has been showcasing at least one newcomer character per franchise; two today, but they were in the same reveal video (Lucina looks like she plays an awful lot like Marth, so that would've been a pretty cheap clone newcomer reveal if she were by herself). Best bets for the August(?) Nintendo Direct is something like a Zelda newcomer or an entirely new franchise to the series, like Shulk from Xenoblade.

If there's one good thing that came out from today, it's that we don't have to worry about the Chorus Kids... as much :p

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
The ghosts from Rhythm Heaven are still in Smash Run, so who knows about Chorus Kids...

If Mewtwo gets his own video, I hope for Ness to be revealed with him.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I really, really don't think we'll be seeing the fate of Mewtwo until game's release. Looks like Sakurai has been showcasing at least one newcomer character per franchise; two today, but they were in the same reveal video (Lucina looks like she plays an awful lot like Marth, so that would've been a pretty cheap clone newcomer reveal if she were by herself). Best bets for the August(?) Nintendo Direct is something like a Zelda newcomer or an entirely new franchise to the series, like Shulk from Xenoblade.

If there's one good thing that came out from today, it's that we don't have to worry about the Chorus Kids... as much :p
The ghosts from Rhythm Heaven are still in Smash Run, so who knows about Chorus Kids...

If Mewtwo gets his own video, I hope for Ness to be revealed with him.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a villainous newcomer (Ghirahim instead of Ganondorf? Don't kill me Ganondorf fans, just an example, lol) and they featured other villains in there too, like Mewtwo (not that he's a villain exactly but you know what I mean.) If there's one thing I noticed in the roster, it's that it's lacking villains. One explanation could be that they're saving it for a villain-themed trailer.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I'm really really happy that we got Robin. It was about time to have a magic user character from Fire Emblem. BTW in the main page of the official site, Lucina is an update and not a newcomer. I think that she is a Marth's Alternate... And I noticed that her "Dolphin Slash" looks shorter/different. Maybe a custom move.

And thanks God Gematsu's "leak" is now proved to be fake (excellent guesses I must say) with Chrom being Robin's Final Smash.

A beautiful day indeed my friends. Now I'm hoping that Sakurai reveals Mewtwo in a newcomer's trailer, as he did with Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
And of course, nobody was right! Classic Sakurai.

If Shulk ultimately is in (not so sure about that now that Gametsu is untrustworthy), we'll know the retweet was a setup :troll:

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'm really really happy that we got Robin. It was about time to have a magic user character from Fire Emblem. BTW in the main page of the official site, Lucina is an update and not a newcomer. I think that she is a Marth's Alternate... And I noticed that her "Dolphin Slash" looks shorter/different. Maybe a custom move.

And thanks God Gematsu's "leak" is now proved to be fake (excellent guesses I must say) with Chrom being Robin's Final Smash.

A beautiful day indeed my friends. Now I'm hoping that Sakurai reveals Mewtwo in a newcomer's trailer, as he did with Captain Falcon.
She is listed as newcomer. There's just no point in putting the same video and artwork into two profiles.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
BTW in the main page of the official site, Lucina is an update and not a newcomer. I think that she is a Marth's Alternate... And I noticed that her "Dolphin Slash" looks shorter/different. Maybe a custom move.
She is listed as newcomer. There's just no point in putting the same video and artwork into two profiles.
Hm, I can't tell about Lucina yet, though she is labeled a newcomer if you click on her. But maybe it's highlighting the fact that you can now be a female Marth. Which parallels how you can be female/male Robin. And by looking at her attacks (like her counter at the end of the trailer), it all seems similar to Marth's so.. it's very possible that she's an alt. I doubt she's a clone because Sakurai is anti-clone for this game.

I'm really really happy that we got Robin. It was about time to have a magic user character from Fire Emblem.
And yes, Robin as a magic user (not because he's a FE character) is great news for me. That's one of the best aspects of Mewtwo to me because it seemed like dark magic. And as I mentioned, his Nosferatu attack looked like Mewtwo's neutral A, where if you tap it Mewtwo's hands start emanating glowing purple flames.

Yes! I'm SO over Gematsu. I hope I don't hear that word anymore. We have 61 days for Mewtwo to be revealed. That's plenty of time!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
ah yes a beautiful moment the sal leak is fals

(how a leak works is even one thing is wrong its fake. for in this case chrom is disconfirmed. and that's a sal character.)

shulk is the only one who will survive

and this helps both mewtwo here and a favorite dragon ridley.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
No Mewtwo, but who really cares at this point in time? That trailer was awesome! I love Robin and Lucina both and I plan on subbing Lucina along with Charizard. So hyped! Smash is looking almost too good to be true! <3 <3 <3

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I still got some faith Mewtwo is gonna make his debut return. I was 70% before the monday morning reveal & I'm 70% sure after the reveal.
@ Z ZombieVito I gotta object to that, FE needed more reps, despite a clone-worthy Lucina but still a 3rd rep was needed.:shades:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Woah, woah, woah, woah, WOAH.

I just realized!

Chrom is not playable! Gematsu leak deconfirmed!
Also the Gematsu leaker never stated anything about Robin or Lucina. And he emailed Sal again right before the trailer telling him to enjoy Shulk who was not revealed.

Edit: at the August Direct it is very possible for Mewtwo to be revealed in the August Direct Newcomer's trailer since Captain Falcon who had nothing to do with Fire Emblem was revealed in that trailer.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Hm, I can't tell about Lucina yet, though she is labeled a newcomer if you click on her. But maybe it's highlighting the fact that you can now be a female Marth. Which parallels how you can be female/male Robin. And by looking at her attacks (like her counter at the end of the trailer), it all seems similar to Marth's so.. it's very possible that she's an alt. I doubt she's a clone because Sakurai is anti-clone for this game.
Toon Link says hi. Also, I'm pretty sure Sakurai is against costumes that are completely different characters. Otherwise we would have a page for Daisy being a pallet swap for Peach or Blood Falcon for Captain Falcon. We've only seen three of Lucina's moves which look to be the same as Marth's but may have slight differences like damage output and knockback. Also, her up-B seems to move a little more horizontal...at least it seems like that to me.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
If there is anything I wanted more than Mewtwo it was for Lucina or Robin to get into Smash. Now I have both of them. If Mewtwo isn't in the game, I'll accept it. The only other Nintendo series' that I superfan over are Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

I hope that Mewtwo does make the cut. I really, really want him in. And hey, if FE is getting 4 reps then maybe Pokemon can get 6.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
That trailer was awesome!Finally a magic using FE rep.Mewtwo on Friday right?RIGHT?!

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Toon Link says hi. Also, I'm pretty sure Sakurai is against costumes that are completely different characters. Otherwise we would have a page for Daisy being a pallet swap for Peach or Blood Falcon for Captain Falcon. We've only seen three of Lucina's moves which look to be the same as Marth's but may have slight differences like damage output and knockback. Also, her up-B seems to move a little more horizontal.
I would agree with that. Just saying, it's possible considering how you can be a Male WFT and female Robin (who has a completely different voice actor.) Nothing against Lucina. But as it says on the website, she is a newcomer. I can see it going either way. Oh and Mewtwo because.. yeah :)

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Still hoping for Mewtwo and Ness to be revealed in the same trailer. At this point, they are the only mains I have that even have a chance of returning, with Ness being the most likely.

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
So to sum up the news for the direct in points:

Sal disconfirmed: +10
Robin: +1 (fame in FEA fans)
Lucina: +1 (same as robin)
Four FE reps: +5 (gives way for 6's)
Chrom still placed as something: +5 (shows they care for fans)

The odds are looking up for Mewtwo ID say (FEA PUN).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
4 FE reps, can we finally come to terms with the fact that it looks like the amount of reps for a single franchise doesn't matter? I sure became a ton more optimistic about 6 Pokémon reps.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
*Fixes*

Fixed for ya:shades: I'm pretty sure we all want 6 or 7 Pkmn reps. Mewtwo / Jiggs is pretty much in the bag, if 7 then cool I'm ready.
*Fixes*

*Fixes*

Fixed for ya:shades: I'm pretty sure we all want 6 or 7 Pkmn reps. Mewtwo / Jiggs is pretty much in the bag, if 7 then cool I'm ready.
Much better. Jiggs is at risk of elimination, and I'm better off without it.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link says hi. Also, I'm pretty sure Sakurai is against costumes that are completely different characters. Otherwise we would have a page for Daisy being a pallet swap for Peach or Blood Falcon for Captain Falcon. We've only seen three of Lucina's moves which look to be the same as Marth's but may have slight differences like damage output and knockback. Also, her up-B seems to move a little more horizontal...at least it seems like that to me.
Lucina not only shares Marth's attacks, but pose and animations (even his "sigh" thing animation, look the vid around 2:00). She is a newcomer because even if she is a Marth alt, she isn't a female Marth (as WFT and Villager) and when she wins, the Winner Screen will say 'LUCINA' not 'MARTH'. I'm pretty sure that's what is going to happen with Dark Pit too.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
My hunch is that Lucina is her own character. I mean we do have Toon Link that is somewhat similar to Link. Add in that Sakurai does not like making different characters just a costume. Maybe Lucina will be more like the old Marth? Since I heard Marth was changed a lot in the demo.

Mewtwo's chances are helped by this reveal today. Hope is alive!

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I wasn't expecting to see Mewtwo in today's video but it was still great nonetheless, I got another character on my wishlist!

What worries me is that July 18th won't see a Mewtwo reveal since we got three characters at the beginning of the week though an anime anniversary may not be enough to warrant a Mewtwo POTD.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I wasn't expecting to see Mewtwo in today's video but it was still great nonetheless, I got another character on my wishlist!

What worries me is that July 18th won't see a Mewtwo reveal since we got three characters at the beginning of the week though an anime anniversary may not be enough to warrant a Mewtwo POTD.
Knowing Sakurai, the anniversary wouldn't matter. And despite him loving to surprise us, I doubt he'll overshadow the recent reveal with Robin/Lucina with another big announcement, Mewtwo being unique in a sense that he's a pseudo-newcomer/returning veteran. I'm not even sure what to think at this point, Sakurai is definitely unpredictable. I do expect for my mind to get blown when he unexpectedly reveals Mewtwo though. I'm looking forward to that :D

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Also the Gematsu leaker never stated anything about Robin or Lucina. And he emailed Sal again right before the trailer telling him to enjoy Shulk who was not revealed.
Lol, what a failure! That must be really awkward for him right now.

Edit: at the August Direct it is very possible for Mewtwo to be revealed in the August Direct Newcomer's trailer since Captain Falcon who had nothing to do with Fire Emblem was revealed in that trailer.
Yeah, Mewtwo would definitely build up hype, but I'm kind of hoping for one last push that they do a trailer with all of the Original 12, and reveal Jiggs and Ness that way. They could also reveal Mewtwo, too.

Am I the only one who got an Attack on Titan vibe from the way that Captain Falcon was revealed?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Heh. Well Capt. did look pretty villainous, as others have noted. That's nothing though. Mewtwo will lay waste to everyone in SSB4. Just wait..

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I have a question, could you lot explain why Mewtwo should be in sm4sh? I only played Brawl so I have no clue how he played or anything and I'm curious to know these things
He is the most requested character for Smash 4, period. He is highly popular one of the most popular Pokemon of all time. He already got into Melee, and was planned for both 64 and Brawl(time constraints).

The criteria for Sakurai's choosing of the next Pokemon is met by Mewtwo. He is "hot" as of now(2 Movies, multiple depictions of him in game art and promotional material, first Mega Evo revealed, etc). He is in X and Y as well, with a 2 Mega Evo's, a rarity. He's unique in his fighting aspects as well, he can use a variety of psychokinesis/other powers that make a special flavor. There is also ample space for him in the roster.

That's a short version.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He is the most requested character for Smash 4, period. He is highly popular one of the most popular Pokemon of all time. He already into Melee, and was planned for both 64 and Brawl(time constraints).

The criteria for Sakurai's choosing of the next Pokemon is met by Mewtwo. He is "hot" as of now(2 Movies, multiple depictions of him in game art and promotional material, first Mega Evo revealed, etc). He is in X and Y as well, with a 2 Mega Evo's, a rarity. He's unique in his fighting aspects as well, he can use a variety of psychokinesis/other powers that make a special flavor. There is also ample space for him in the roster.

That's a short version.
I see, But I have to mention his data was in Brawl and didn't make it in because of time constrains. Other than that, solid argument

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I see, But I have to mention his data was in Brawl and didn't make it in because of time constrains. Other than that, solid argument

If you bother to look through all the promotional material for Pokemon, it is suspiciously close to who is already in Smash 4. I remember one thing being Mewtwo Y, Charizard X, and Mega Lucario in one depiction. Hmmm.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If you bother to look through all the promotional material for Pokemon, it is suspiciously close to who is already in Smash 4. I remember one thing being Mewtwo Y, Charizard X, and Mega Lucario in one depiction. Hmmm.
true, but I feel 5 in the max amount of characters getting represented in a franchise and woth Jigglypuff, Mewtwo's chances are a tad bit slimmer in my eyes but I could be wrong on that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom