• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
If you bother to look through all the promotional material for Pokemon, it is suspiciously close to who is already in Smash 4. I remember one thing being Mewtwo Y, Charizard X, and Mega Lucario in one depiction. Hmmm.
Yeah, if I recall correctly, they're the three last bosses in Pokemon Art Academy or something on the lines of that.

M-Mewtwo Y's up there with M-Charizard X and M-Luke when it comes to Mega Evolution icons. Remember Mewtwo was the first Pokemon ever to receive a Mega and when Megas were officially unveiled, Sugimori or so released the "Mega Mewtwo vs. Mega Lucario" artwork.

Oh they know, they know...

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
The depressing matter is actually. . .I was under moderate duress when Captain Falcon was taking so long to be announced, & today Sakurai's favor was also in my favor so I thank you for that Sakurai~, but the depressing matter. . .Ness & Jigglypuff may be in the original 12 & that alone is enough for them to continue as 4 time veteran fighters, but those 2 out of the O12 are the least popular in my eyes. I haven't played Mother /Earthbound & I've played / watched enough Pkmn to know she's not that popular anymore. This isn't suddenly about popularity deciding the roster but granted those 2 characters are in a awkward position. I hope they both make it in:ohwell:.

Edit: To stay on topic In case for some lame reason Pkmn doesn't get at most 6 slots, then the Pkmn now being :4charizard::4greninja::4lucario:&:4pikachu:, with Jigglypuff making the 5th slot, all the remaining Pkmn would be DLC. The bright side for Nintendo is they'd be making profit off of Mewtwo DLC including other Pkmn DLC. . .I'm still confident in 6 / 7 slots because of this realization.

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Chrom still placed as something: +5 (shows they care for fans)

The odds are looking up for Mewtwo ID say (FEA PUN).
After that horrendous representation of Chrom I wouldn't use say they care for us that much lol I spent all day ticked off after seeing the trailer even though I wanted to be happy for Robin's and Lucina being included (Even if she is a clone *Sigh :urg:). I really wanted Chrom in, he could've had a diverse moveset, He uses Lances and Axes aside from swords and is a speedy powerhouse while Lucina is just Martha.

I'd say Mewtwo is extremely likely at this point. All I want is a trailer for him alongside someone else.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
After that horrendous representation of Chrom I wouldn't use say they care for us that much lol I spent all day ticked off after seeing the trailer even though I wanted to be happy for Robin's and Lucina being included (Even if she is a clone *Sigh :urg:). I really wanted Chrom in, he could've had a diverse moveset, He uses Lances and Axes aside from swords and is a speedy powerhouse while Lucina is just Martha.

I'd say Mewtwo is extremely likely at this point. All I want is a trailer for him alongside someone else.
I think that's a whole different issue. I personally think that tease was meant to send out a message: Don't get your hopes up because of leaks. Mewtwo is likely to be in the game not because of leaks, but because of the demand, popularity and the fact that Sakurai said he was considering him for SSB4. Sakurai never said he wanted Chrom in the game, so no one should have gotten their hopes up for him, though I can sympathize with those who are disappointed.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I don't see Jiggs getting cut either but we could still have 6 pokemon. We did before, just not in 6 separate slots because of the Pokemon Trainer, but I don't think that matters. Sakurai knows how popular Mewtwo is and he did say he was considering him. There are so many Pokemon out there as well, probably the franchise with the most possible reps. It would make sense for them to have the most character representation in Smash once again.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
I think that's a whole different issue. I personally think that tease was meant to send out a message: Don't get your hopes up because of leaks. Mewtwo is likely to be in the game not because of leaks, but because of the demand, popularity and the fact that Sakurai said he was considering him for SSB4. Sakurai never said he wanted Chrom in the game, so no one should have gotten their hopes up for him, though I can sympathize with those who are disappointed.
I'm 100% sure that last line was done because of the Gematsu leak, but Sakurai did not consider he was also insulting a fanbase while he tried to use Chrom to prove a point. I don't think it has to do with who Sakurai wants mainly (Otherwise we'd seen Waddle Dee, Medusa, Hades, Knuckle Joe, and most of his characters), as we've seen he considers the fans demand a lot. Chrom was one of the most demanded and expected and I do think they were planning on including him, but decided on Robin in the end. There's no problem with that I respect it and consider it a good decision.

On Mewtwo, it never had to with the leak. Even if it didn't include him, the leak talked about newcomers, Mewtwo isn't a newcomer per-say.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I'm 100% sure that last line was done because of the Gematsu leak, but Sakurai did not consider he was also insulting a fanbase while he tried to use Chrom to prove a point. I don't think it has to do with who Sakurai wants mainly (Otherwise we'd seen Waddle Dee, Medusa, Hades, Knuckle Joe, and most of his characters), as we've seen he considers the fans demand a lot. Chrom was one of the most demanded and expected and I do think they were planning on including him, but decided on Robin in the end. There's no problem with that I respect it and consider it a good decision.

On Mewtwo, it never had to with the leak. Even if it didn't include him, the leak talked about newcomers, Mewtwo isn't a newcomer per-say.
Agreed. I think the reason why Chrom didn't get in, despite the demand, was that there wasn't a need for all FE characters to be all swordsmen. If Chrom took Robin's place, all four reps would be doing just about the same thing with little variation. I think they did the right thing diversifying the four FE reps.

And yes, Mewtwo is in his own category as a pseudo-newcomer/returning veteran.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Adding Robin was a smart move, and I always believed it would be the right choice. I didn't think they'd actually do it though...(Don't get me wrong, I am beyond happy to have Robin in. ^^)

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Agreed. I think the reason why Chrom didn't get in, despite the demand, was that there wasn't a need for all FE characters to be all swordsmen. If Chrom took Robin's place, all four reps would be doing just about the same thing with little variation. I think they did the right thing diversifying the four FE reps.

And yes, Mewtwo is in his own category as a pseudo-newcomer/returning veteran.
Yeah, but the diversity argument was kinda redundant since Lucina is in lol, but I guess since she is a clone it was a way for them to include another rep w/o occupying too much space or wasting too much time.

Did you ever read my Shulk/Mewtwo trailer theory?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Yeah, but the diversity argument was kinda redundant since Lucina is in lol, but I guess since she is a clone it was a way for them to include another rep w/o occupying too much space or wasting too much time.

Did you ever read my Shulk/Mewtwo trailer theory?
Well, to be fair, we don't have a female swordsman, so.. :p Diversity.

And no I haven't read your Shulk/Mewtwo theory, link me? And what of it?

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Well, to be fair, we don't have a female swordsman, so.. :p Diversity.

And no I haven't read your Shulk/Mewtwo theory, link me? And what of it?
Meh sort of diversity lol

Since we thought Shulk was going to be the trailer today I had made a theory on how Mewtwo could be sneaked in as the veteran. I'll mention you in the original post so you can see it.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I'd burst with joy if they actually make both psychics battle it out it like I said! I would even start a fake leak! Just kidding...
Mmmm.. don't know about Shulk. Wouldn't they use a character from the new Xenoblades game? I don't think Shulk's in that one. (Also.. Gematsu.)

Random Mewtwo insert: I would love to see a debut trailer featuring Ganondorf VS MetaKnight VS Mewtwo VS Ridley.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
You know....I strangely sense that Mewtwo would fit nicely in a trailer against Robin. I mean, think about it....both are long ranged mythical fighters....I could see Robin starting to waver and then be backed up by a newcomer or something of the sort.

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
lets play a little game then to pas the time to the inevitable then ok?

I call it: Try and guess matchups

So, lets say all characters in the game are revealed pre-release. You can only have 55 characters MAX and 45 minimum. There are only 2 reveal videos left. Per video only 4 characters for one only the other must have less. To add a character to a video NOT based around the character its meant for, one must have some sort of relevance that you must explain in words unless its painstakingly obvious (they are from the same game, they met in previous games Etc.). For regular character reveals via the POTD. they cant happen in A two week period or near another reveal. There can be ONE direct but it can't be in July. for this only you may reveal up to four vets and put one non counting toward vet count video at the end. Mewtwo must be one of your picks and you must count all already revealed. Finally, you must specify dates for EVERYTHING. You get a point for each clever thing you do with dates and characters and a double point bonus for anything cool revolving around Mewtwo.

Anyone willing to play, specify me and start with the following:
If I where Sakurai, I would...

Ill also be playing, but I (OF CORSE) can't "win". I'll post after the first contestant or if enough ask.

Last edited:

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
If Shulk is still in, would love to see Mewtwo AND Ness or Lucas get revealed along side with Shulk. We get 1 newcomer & 2/3 veterans in one trailer.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702

So, lets say all characters in the game are revealed pre-release. You can only have 55 characters MAX and 45 minimum. There are only 2 reveal videos left. Per video only 4 characters for one only the other must have less. To add a character to a video NOT based around the character its meant for, one must have some sort of relevance that you must explain in words unless its painstakingly obvious (they are from the same game, they met in previous games Etc.). For regular character reveals via the POTD. they cant happen in A two week period or near another reveal. There can be ONE direct but it can't be in July. for this only you may reveal up to four vets and put one non counting toward vet count video at the end. Mewtwo must be one of your picks and you must count all already revealed. Finally, you must specify dates for EVERYTHING. You get a point for each clever thing you do with dates and characters and a double point bonus for anything cool revolving around Mewtwo.

Ill also be playing, but I (OF CORSE) can't "win". I'll post after the first contestant or if enough ask.
That is kind of confusing. Could you show an example?

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I believe if Mewtwo and Ridley are playable, they will be the 2 last characters revealed. You've noticed at the beginning of the announcements an nearing the end have got people the most hyped? I mean, not many of the characters between E3 2013 and 2014 (other than Rosalina and Mac... and maybe Greninja) have made people scream.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Mmmm.. don't know about Shulk. Wouldn't they use a character from the new Xenoblades game? I don't think Shulk's in that one. (Also.. Gematsu.)

Random Mewtwo insert: I would love to see a debut trailer featuring Ganondorf VS MetaKnight VS Mewtwo VS Ridley.
Shulk doesn't just have the Gematsu leak covering him:
He has a huge fanbase in both US and Japan.
His VA said he was doing work on a huge game, but couldn't say anything about it.
Xenoblade is looking to be one of Nintendo's next big series.
Sakurai is a big Shulk fan.
I have a strong feeling Sakurai was going to show Shulk's trailer, but all of us knew so he could have changed his mind on the trailer.
Gematsu leak isn't disproven

The new Xenoblade I don't know, right now little is known plot wise about it even though we've seen a 2 hour demo. The only 2 characters shown are an avatar you create and a chick in a high tech suit, not much is known about either as characters or how they attack aside from their starting weapons.

Here's a better idea... Villains trailer. We got a discussion on that in the Ridley thread and judging on game releases in August we have anniversaries for games from DK, Mario, Pokemon, Metroid, and Zelda. So we could see a huge villains trailer with K Rool, Wario, Mewtwo, Ridley, and Ganondorf (Too much hype)

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
That is kind of confusing. Could you show an example?
Ok here is a quick rundown.

If I where Sakurai I would...

Have 49 characters. There are 38 currently in the game.
Newcomers would be Shulk, Mewtwo (in this case) Ridley, and Sami. I'm now at 42
Returnees would be Wolf, Wario, ice climbers, Falco, Gannon, meta knight and ness. That makes 48, im set

July: Reveal Wario later this month. Afterwards that Ness is revealed.

August: First reveal Falco early this month. Then the direct. in the direct I'd show off Wolf, Meta knight and Gannon. later id also reveal a trailer that reveals two newcomers, Shulk and Mewtwo. The video would be based around Shulk and Lucario teamed up to try and take out Someone. They chase Mewtwo into a cave where they fight Gannon and wolf a bit (in a cut scene and some gameplay) they tire each other out for a bit until a voice calls out from the distance to back off from them. Lucario perks up a bit. at the voice that he clearly recognize. Lucario gets up, ready to fight, as he calls for the shadow to step forth. The shadow's eyes glow purple as Mewtwo steps from the shadow. The NEW CHALLNGER thing comes up for Mewtwo. The gameplay is shown. the world collectively fangasums. This is where I'd also show what lucario's ME does as well as show off mewtwo's.

September: They let the hype die down a lot as they reveal ice climbers. Thinking this is all. the fans prepare for the games release in whatever thing they do. Just before launch day id give fans a little rap up video that explains a few things I missed and another new game mode or two. they think its nothing, but surprise! at the end is that all too familiar swish as another video is shown. It starts with Z. Sam. thanking someone off screen for there help. they talk for a bit as the camera pans the room, always missing the other target. they talk about a favor that Sam needs taking care if. The voice sounds female, but unrecognizable. You see the voices lips as the character says that she is only helping her fellow fighter. At that moment you hear a screech as the wall comes crumbling down. Rubble and dust is everywhere and ZS says that the guest had cone early as its revealed that the beast is ridley (yes as a character). ZS asks if the figure is ok. The figure dusts off herself as the fighter revealed finally to be sami. Then comes gameplay.

That's it! You don't need to post full descriptions on the videos, that was just for fun. Just who it is in the video works.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
He has a huge fanbase in both US and Japan.
Eh, his fanbase here in the US is pretty limited.

Shulk is pretty much Japan's Ridley. Hugely popular there, with a small following here. Xenoblade is nowhere near as popular here as it was over there, mainly due to how difficult to obtain the game is/was.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Eh, his fanbase here in the US is pretty limited.

Shulk is pretty much Japan's Ridley. Hugely popular there, with a small following here. Xenoblade is nowhere near as popular here as it was over there, mainly due to how difficult to obtain the game is/was.
I wouldn't know about that last part because where I live it is surprisingly easy to find so I'm surprised you say that really. He has a following in the US, but he's gotten very popular by word of mouth honestly. People who haven't ever seen the game want him in, so I would put him somewhere around Isaac's demand like class A or B, Ridley being class S.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Ok here is a quick rundown.

If I where Sakurai I would...

Have 49 characters. There are 38 currently in the game.
Newcomers would be Shulk, Mewtwo (in this case) Ridley, and Sami. I'm now at 42
Returnees would be Wolf, Wario, ice climbers, Falco, Gannon, meta knight and ness. That makes 48, im set

July: Reveal Wario later this month. Afterwards that Ness is revealed.

August: First reveal Falco early this month. Then the direct. in the direct I'd show off Wolf, Meta knight and Gannon. later id also reveal a trailer that reveals two newcomers, Shulk and Mewtwo. The video would be based around Shulk and Lucario teamed up to try and take out Someone. They chase Mewtwo into a cave where they fight Gannon and wolf a bit (in a cut scene and some gameplay) they tire each other out for a bit until a voice calls out from the distance to back off from them. Lucario perks up a bit. at the voice that he clearly recognize. Lucario gets up, ready to fight, as he calls for the shadow to step forth. The shadow's eyes glow purple as Mewtwo steps from the shadow. The NEW CHALLNGER thing comes up for Mewtwo. The gameplay is shown. the world collectively fangasums. This is where I'd also show what lucario's ME does as well as show off mewtwo's.

September: They let the hype die down a lot as they reveal ice climbers. Thinking this is all. the fans prepare for the games release in whatever thing they do. Just before launch day id give fans a little rap up video that explains a few things I missed and another new game mode or two. they think its nothing, but surprise! at the end is that all too familiar swish as another video is shown. It starts with Z. Sam. thanking someone off screen for there help. they talk for a bit as the camera pans the room, always missing the other target. they talk about a favor that Sam needs taking care if. The voice sounds female, but unrecognizable. You see the voices lips as the character says that she is only helping her fellow fighter. At that moment you hear a screech as the wall comes crumbling down. Rubble and dust is everywhere and ZS says that the guest had cone early as its revealed that the beast is ridley (yes as a character). ZS asks if the figure is ok. The figure dusts off herself as the fighter revealed finally to be sami. Then comes gameplay.

That's it! You don't need to post full descriptions on the videos, that was just for fun. Just who it is in the video works.
Pardon my ignorance... but who's Sami?

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
Well, it wasn't a Mewtwo trailer, but still a pretty damn good trailer nonetheless. I'd even say this is the first reveal trailer I've seen that didn't show Mewtwo and managed to not piss me off, lol.

Robin looks like an interesting/fun character, and I'm glad to see the Cap'n is finally back!

Still hoping for Mewtwo, though!

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
So, apparently clones are allowed afterall (well, other than Toon Link.) On Miiverse, Sakurai just admitted to Lucina being mostly similar to Marth. Mostly in a sense that she's different enough to have her own spot in the roster instead of being an alt costume. I hope this doesn't affect Mewtwo. And not that it's related to this thread but I hope Ganondorf gets his own set instead of Falcondorf yet again.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So supposedly CoroCoro all characters and stages for Smash Bros 3DS on August 12. Back in 2007 they also reveled Brawl entire roster. I hope this is true and they revel both Mewtwo and Solid Snake I would one happy man! Just take this with a grain of salt. http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...-reportedly-revealed-in-next-months-corocoro/
I believe that, when they said that for Brawl, they only wound up showing off the characters who had officially been revealed at the time, as opposed to the entire roster.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
So we didn't get Mewtwo (wasn't really expecting him anyway) but we did get rid of the Gematsu leak so at this point anything could happen. I can't wait for the full roster reveal next month. Now all we need to do is wait.

Last edited:

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
So we didn't get Mewtwo (wasn't really expecting him anyway) but we did get rid of the Gematsu leak so at this point anything could happen. I can't wait for the full roster reveal next month. Now all we need to do is wait.
At this point, id say every leak in FN EXISTENCE has been deconfirmed by sakurai...chrom was in every leak. funny how a 3 minute video can destroy hundreds of rumors in seconds...

Steelia

Smash Champion
I believe that, when they said that for Brawl, they only wound up showing off the characters who had officially been revealed at the time, as opposed to the entire roster.
Yeah, that's what happened. They said the exact same thing too, saying they'd introduce "all the chars from SSBB". Quite a ploy just to sell a few extra copies! >:v

However...
Apparently there will be a separate strategy guide released alongside this issue of CoroCoro that will be detailing the characters and stages. So maybe there's more truth to this this time around...

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917

I was going to do it but just too many rules so I decided to make the Miiverse version (WARNING this follows Miiverse rules.)

If I was Samurai I would have a ridley and mewtwo and Rool k treiler on augst 19th on July (the trailer needs to be ten minets long so ridli cud fit LOL in the video mewtwo haz 2 make Ridlei small and king k pool not fat and then they r in the game.On 13 of August I would have the Geno trailer with Geno doing stuff but Ness is playable too. The day before it comes out ther is a direct and ther Is Shulc but then there is sheik BUT THEN THERE IS SHREK who walks to shucks intro screen and changes Shulk to Shrek but then Goku laughs and Goku is confirmd.

Please don't flame me. This is what Miiverse would post.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

If I were Sakurai I would have 49 characters.
Newcomers: Bowser Jr, Vaati
Veterans Returning: Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, R.O.B, Mr. Game and Watch, Falco, Wolf, Ness, Jigglypuff, and Wario.

In July Wario and Falco are revealed. Ness is then revealed in early August. At the August Direct Jigglypuff, Wolf, Meta Knight, Ganondorf, and Mewtwo are revealed. Vaati is later revealed as the Newcomer in a trailer with Ganondorf. In September Ice Climbers are revealed. Towards release Bowser Jr is revealed as a complete surprise. In his trailer he helps Bowser knock Mario off the stage. Game and Watch and R.O.B are revealed on the release date of the 3DS version.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I almost expect that the next big character reveal will be a bunch of vets and they'll all line up like the Doctor Role-call in Day of the Doctor. And then Mewtwo steps forward to challenge them all. Because it'd be awesome.

Seriously, if he's in we only have a month or so before we run out of time for character reveals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom