• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wait until you hear this

From the roster prediction display thread

People still don't think mewtwos coming back even from the 4 fire emblem reps thing.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Wait until you hear this

From the roster prediction display thread

People still don't think mewtwos coming back even from the 4 fire emblem reps thing.
I don't see why they think that, honestly...

Mewtwo is the most requested character in Japan & US.
Sakurai teased us with the Greninja trailer.
He was cut due to time restraints in Smash 64 and Brawl, so obviously Sakurai wants him in.
And the biggest piece of evidence:
Sakurai said all characters were chosen before development. When the X & Y roundtable happened (Took place after the 1st Sm4sh trailer) he said they were thinking about including Mewtwo in Smash, after the Game Freak guys got all nervous cause they didn't know how to answer. Why would he say they were thinking about including him when he already knows whether he's in or not? Just to let people down in the end? It doesn't make sense.

With all that backing him up, I doubt he isn't in the game.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I love the idea of the mountain stage, there's a lot if could have. Maybe even a day/night cycle.

I personally would be against Cerulean Cave, though. The cave hasn't made an in-game appearance for 4-5 years (Origins doesn't count, it isn't a game). If Sakurai is picking stages based on relevancy, Unknown Dungeon or Pokemon Village would be more likely as a home for Mewtwo. I don't particularly want these stages, but I think Pokemon Village would be interesting. You could have any of those Pokemon be stage hazards like in the Saffron City stage but from both sides. Thoughts?
I don't really feel that Pokemon Village is a good stage for Smash Bros. There's just something about it that seems so...peaceful? Weren't abandoned Pokemon living there? It just seems wrong...

If we're get any other place from X and Y, I'd say we'd most likely get Team Flare's Secret Base. That would allow for Yveltal to make an appearance. Maybe even Zygarde...(Because I believe Xerneas is a Pokeball. Not sure though...) Maybe Lysandre will show up himself.

But, I think X and Y has a lot of representation in SSB4. Maybe we need another stage representation. I haven't seen what the Elite 4 stage looks like, but I'd be happy with another Pokemon Stadium. And my friend wants N's Castle, which I could see working.

But, if Mewtwo needs a stage to call home, it'll likely be a cave or the Pokemon Village. I could see the Cerulean cave bring an interesting stage. Instead of a fall off, you'd have water surrounding the main stage. And for visual effects water could drop down from the top of the screen. Maybe there's some more things we can add, but honestly I think it should be a pretty standard stage with not a lot of hazards. Thoughts?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
There doesn't seem to be a lot of iconic places that are Smash-worthy in Kalos since the Wii U already has the Pokemon League and the 3DS already has Lumiose City. I guess there's that one part, I think it was in Geosenge town? It would be cool to see a stage based off of that scene where the villains start of their experiment and unearth that giant crystal and then there was a big explosion. We just fight in the middle of all the chaos. Other than that though maybe a stage from Ruby/Sapphire? Can't really think of any other potentials..

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Personally, I'd like a Gen V stage. I really loved Gen V, and hope it's not ignored like Hoenn was for Brawl. Maybe a stage based off the Giant Chasm with the Plasma Ship or Kyurem occasionally freezing it?

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
If I remember correctly Brawl had 2 Poke stages with Spear Mountain and Pokemon Stadium 2 and Melee had Stadium 1 and Poke Floats. We're obviously getting a 3rd Stadium, but I'm pretty sure we'll get 3 stages (excluding retro) for Pokemon on Wii U.

:4greninja: home stage is the Kalos league, :4pikachu::jigglypuff: home stage is stadium, :lucario::charizard::mewtwopm: could get the Mega Evolution tower (Don't remember the name) as their home stage since all 3 have a mega evolution.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Thank you guys for reminding me of some awesome places. I wouldn't mind the secret base, but I think I'd like your ideas a lot more! Tower of Mastery would be a pretty awesome place.

I think towers are easily remembered... We have the tower in Lumoise city in a stage, the Tower of Mastery, and for a ruby/sapphire stage I was going to suggest Sky Pillar. Rayquaza could then reprise his role as a boss!

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Tower of Mastery! That was the name! :awesome: It'd be a cool moving stage a la Delfino Plaza/Skyloft (although I think they include one of those per game) going around the staircase entering, circling the Lucario statue, and landing on the summit.

I could totally see them bringing back Rayquaza for that! But maybe for a second 3DS stage.

By the way I thought of another different scenario for the hopeful villains trailer! Instead of MK Wolf could be battling Ridley in the air with his wolfen!

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I don't really feel that Pokemon Village is a good stage for Smash Bros. There's just something about it that seems so...peaceful? Weren't abandoned Pokemon living there? It just seems wrong...

If we're get any other place from X and Y, I'd say we'd most likely get Team Flare's Secret Base. That would allow for Yveltal to make an appearance. Maybe even Zygarde...(Because I believe Xerneas is a Pokeball. Not sure though...) Maybe Lysandre will show up himself.

But, I think X and Y has a lot of representation in SSB4. Maybe we need another stage representation. I haven't seen what the Elite 4 stage looks like, but I'd be happy with another Pokemon Stadium. And my friend wants N's Castle, which I could see working.

But, if Mewtwo needs a stage to call home, it'll likely be a cave or the Pokemon Village. I could see the Cerulean cave bring an interesting stage. Instead of a fall off, you'd have water surrounding the main stage. And for visual effects water could drop down from the top of the screen. Maybe there's some more things we can add, but honestly I think it should be a pretty standard stage with not a lot of hazards. Thoughts?
I agree, I was mainly trying to say that Pokemon Village would be the modernized home stage for him.

If I remember correctly Brawl had 2 Poke stages with Spear Mountain and Pokemon Stadium 2 and Melee had Stadium 1 and Poke Floats. We're obviously getting a 3rd Stadium, but I'm pretty sure we'll get 3 stages (excluding retro) for Pokemon on Wii U.

:4greninja: home stage is the Kalos league, :4pikachu::jigglypuff: home stage is stadium, :lucario::charizard::mewtwopm: could get the Mega Evolution tower (Don't remember the name) as their home stage since all 3 have a mega evolution.
I'd honestly prefer not to have a Stadium 3, as the game doesn't exactly exist. I think the most likely stages for console based Pokemon stages would be Poketopia (Pokemon Battle Revolution) or the Pokepark (Pokepark 1 and Pokepark 2). Both could work as transforming stages or possibly touring stages (like delfino plaza in brawl). Anyone care to speculate on these stages with me?

And I believe you're talking about the Tower of Mastery (I'm a pokemon nerd ;)).

EDIT: I posted this right as you replied with your correction, so don't see it as me trying to be a ****...

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
I'd honestly prefer not to have a Stadium 3, as the game doesn't exactly exist. I think the most likely stages for console based Pokemon stages would be Poketopia (Pokemon Battle Revolution) or the Pokepark (Pokepark 1 and Pokepark 2). Both could work as transforming stages or possibly touring stages (like delfino plaza in brawl). Anyone care to speculate on these stages with me?

And I believe you're talking about the Tower of Mastery (I'm a pokemon nerd ;)).
I'm a poke nerd too :colorful: I just played through X as fast as I could cause I was borrowing my bros 3DS (5 days) Haven't played it much ever since, it didn't have much to do post game compared to past gens. I don't think the Pokemon Stadiums have to do anything with the N64 spin offs aside from the titles tho, I always thought of it as a generic Pokemon stage made for Smash.

Never played the Pokepark series so I can't help you much, sorry.

Edit: But yeah I wouldn't want a 3rd Stadium either, it just seems to be a staple from the looks of it. Ain't no problem no need for the apology.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I'm a poke nerd too :colorful: I just played through X as fast as I could cause I was borrowing my bros 3DS (5 days) Haven't played it much ever since, it didn't have much to do post game compared to past gens. I don't think the Pokemon Stadiums have to do anything with the N64 spin offs aside from the titles tho, I always thought of it as a generic Pokemon stage made for Smash.

Never played the Pokepark series so I can't help you much, sorry.

Edit: But yeah I wouldn't want a 3rd Stadium either, it just seems to be a staple from the looks of it. Ain't no problem no need for the apology.
Nice :colorful: Post game was the worst in X and Y (my favorite was in Platinum).

Basic overview of the Pokepark: Pikachu has to explore a set number of "Zones or Areas" each themed after a certain type.
Pokepark 1: Meadow Zone (Grass), Beach Zone (Water), Iceberg Zone (Ice), Cavern Zone (Rock), Magma Zone (Fire), Haunted Zone (Ghost and Dark), Granite Zone (Ground), Flower Zone (Flying), Sky Garden (Just Mew).

Pokepark 2: Cove Area (Water), Arbor Area (Grass and Bug), Crag Area (Fire and Ground), Tech Area (Metal and Rock; All Strong Pokemon), Arcane Area (Mixed), and the Wish Park (Opposite world to the PokePark; Dark and Ghost).

They're worth a play, I preferred the first one (as there was more to do), but the second one had a lot of diversity because you had to switch between 4 characters to access new places. If you want to try one, pick up the first.

The stadiums are getting dull, so that's why I suggested Poketopia from Battle Revolution, as it's basically Pokemon Stadium 3.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Nice :colorful: Post game was the worst in X and Y (my favorite was in Platinum).

Basic overview of the Pokepark: Pikachu has to explore a set number of "Zones or Areas" each themed after a certain type.
Pokepark 1: Meadow Zone (Grass), Beach Zone (Water), Iceberg Zone (Ice), Cavern Zone (Rock), Magma Zone (Fire), Haunted Zone (Ghost and Dark), Granite Zone (Ground), Flower Zone (Flying), Sky Garden (Just Mew).

Pokepark 2: Cove Area (Water), Arbor Area (Grass and Bug), Crag Area (Fire and Ground), Tech Area (Metal and Rock; All Strong Pokemon), Arcane Area (Mixed), and the Wish Park (Opposite world to the PokePark; Dark and Ghost).

They're worth a play, I preferred the first one (as there was more to do), but the second one had a lot of diversity because you had to switch between 4 characters to access new places. If you want to try one, pick up the first.

The stadiums are getting dull, so that's why I suggested Poketopia from Battle Revolution, as it's basically Pokemon Stadium 3.
Yeah they are extremely repetitive. I wouldn't mind seeing them out and replaced by an actual main series stage.

I never got into the series because it seemed rather mini game heavy. But by what you're telling me it has a lot to it, I wouldn't mind seeing a stage inspired on it honestly. By the way how much do these games go for now? Last time I checked they were 50$.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Yeah they are extremely repetitive. I wouldn't mind seeing them out and replaced by an actual main series stage.

I never got into the series because it seemed rather mini game heavy. But by what you're telling me it has a lot to it, I wouldn't mind seeing a stage inspired on it honestly. By the way how much do these games go for now? Last time I checked they were 50$.
The games aren't very minigame based, that's just the only thing that's ever been advertised for them. Well, sort of. The minigames that are advertised are called "attractions" which can honestly be super fun. Pikachu has to team up or "make friends" with other pokemon to advance in the game. There are three ways to do this: Battling, Chasing, Hide and Seek, and a few pokemon give pokemon trivia you have to get right. It's a lot more fun and in-depth than I make it sound.

On amazon they go for pretty high if they're new, but a used copy is like $20 I think. And there are multiple save files (a new for a pokemon game).

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think of the Kalos league being the replacement for the "Pokemon Stadiums" this time around? Is that plausible. At that point, it could be a transforming stage (going to the different Elite Four rooms), but it has a different background and thus, a new atmosphere?

Edit: And didn't the F-zero stage move to places as well? Port Town Aero Drive or something...

Last edited:

Xauric

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xauric
So, this may just be a case of confirmation bias, so take it with a grain of salt, but it seems as though a few things are adding up to quite a reveal here.

Let's start with why Mewtwo is likely to be confirmed. Aside from being one of the most popular pokemon since the beginning of the series, Mewtwo is still one of the most powerful pokemon in the series, as well as a poster child for Mega Evolutions now. He/She (sticking with He) is also the only one to have two Mega Evolutions, the second being the confirmed fighter, Charizard. Lucario, who is also a mega evolution poster child, has also been confirmed. On top of this, Mewtwo's roles in recent games, movies, and TV series (More specifically, X and Y, Art Academy, Genesect, and Pokemon Origins) have boosted his popularity significantly, including having a Figma figure made of him.

Mewtwo has also been included in every Smash Bros game to date, but only was finished in time for release for Melee. This means Mewtwo was going to be an N64 veteran, in which case, we wouldn't doubt his inclusion. We can only assume Mewtwo would be an attempted fighter for this series as well, since that didn't stop them for Melee, or Brawl. So obviously, Mewtwo is a very heavily desired character, even before Melee, and his popularity demanded his inclusion in Brawl, but was cut due to time constraints, not lack of popularity, or a supposed "replacement" by Lucario.

So, what's this all adding up to? Well, trailers recently have been pitting similar fighters (relatively speaking) against each other. Charizard vs Greninja, Captain Falcon vs Lucina vs. Robin, and Pit vs. Link vs. Palutena. With that said, we still have at least one more trailer to see.

So, with all that said, who are two similar fighters that haven't been confirmed?

Two psychic characters, with near cult followings. Mewtwo, and Ness.

We have two months left until release. We'll get at least one more trailer, and possibly, one more Direct. Again, this could just be confirmation bias, but this evidence is hard to ignore, and my hype will go through the roof if we get a Ness and Mewtwo fight trailer, with another newcomer. Nintendo created a Gamecube Controller and adapter for Smash 4, I don't think it'd be all that hard to include Mewtwo for Smash 4.

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
The games aren't very minigame based, that's just the only thing that's ever been advertised for them. Well, sort of. The minigames that are advertised are called "attractions" which can honestly be super fun. Pikachu has to team up or "make friends" with other pokemon to advance in the game. There are three ways to do this: Battling, Chasing, Hide and Seek, and a few pokemon give pokemon trivia you have to get right. It's a lot more fun and in-depth than I make it sound.

On amazon they go for pretty high if they're new, but a used copy is like $20 I think. And there are multiple save files (a new for a pokemon game).
Cool, I'll give it a shot. I'ma check out some youtube clips and get back to you on that later.

What do you guys think of the Kalos league being the replacement for the "Pokemon Stadiums" this time around? Is that plausible. At that point, it could be a transforming stage (going to the different Elite Four rooms), but it has a different background and thus, a new atmosphere?
Unless they introduce a completely new mechanic for the stadiums, I wouldn't miss them honestly. I don't mind if they end up as retro tho.

The Pokemon universe has so many places that could be used as stages so seeing the Stadium every single game kinda removes that variety its known for.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Personally, I'd like a Gen V stage. I really loved Gen V, and hope it's not ignored like Hoenn was for Brawl. Maybe a stage based off the Giant Chasm with the Plasma Ship or Kyurem occasionally freezing it?
I had N's Castle in mind with Reshiram/Zekrom as hazards.

Steelia

Smash Champion
So, with all that said, who are two similar fighters that haven't been confirmed?

We have two months left until release. We'll get at least one more trailer, and possibly, one more Direct. Again, this could just be confirmation bias, but this evidence is hard to ignore, nonetheless, and my hype will go through the roof if we get a Ness and Mewtwo fight trailer, with another newcomer.
Apparently Shulk has psy-based abilities, or at least energy-based stuff. And rumor has it the director of Xenoblade's favorite Pokemon is Mewtwo... And Giygas/Giegue (from the first MOTHER game) is the inspiration for Mewtwo's design in Pokemon RBY. It'd be a trailer made in heaven. :)

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
So, this may just be a case of confirmation bias, so take it with a grain of salt, but it seems as though a few things are adding up to quite a reveal here.

Let's start with why Mewtwo is likely to be confirmed. Aside from being one of the most popular pokemon since the beginning of the series, Mewtwo is still one of the most powerful pokemon in the series, as well as a poster child for Mega Evolutions now. He/She (sticking with He) is also the only one to have two Mega Evolutions, the second being the confirmed fighter, Charizard. Lucario, who is also a mega evolution poster child, has also been confirmed. On top of this, Mewtwo's roles in recent games, movies, and TV series (More specifically, X and Y, Art Academy, Genesect, and Pokemon Origins) have boosted his popularity significantly, including having a Figma figure made of him.

Mewtwo has also been included in every Smash Bros game to date, but only was finished in time for release for Melee. This means Mewtwo was going to be an N64 veteran, in which case, we wouldn't doubt his inclusion. We can only assume Mewtwo would be an attempted fighter for this series as well, since that didn't stop them for Melee, or Brawl. So obviously, Mewtwo is a very heavily desired character, even before Melee, and his popularity demanded his inclusion in Brawl, but was cut due to time constraints, not lack of popularity, or a supposed "replacement" by Lucario.

So, what's this all adding up to? Well, trailers recently have been pitting similar fighters (relatively speaking) against each other. Charizard vs Greninja, Captain Falcon vs Lucina vs. Robin, and Pit vs. Link vs. Palutena. With that said, we still have at least one more trailer to see.

We have two months left until release. We'll get at least one more trailer, and possibly, one more Direct. Again, this could just be confirmation bias, but this evidence is hard to ignore, and my hype will go through the roof if we get a Ness and Mewtwo fight trailer, with another newcomer. Nintendo created a Gamecube Controller and adapter for Smash 4, I don't think it'd be all that hard to include Mewtwo for Smash 4.
But Captain Falcon is a god, and Lucina and Robin aren't...

I'm just messing around. But yeah, I've been expecting to see Mewtwo vs Ness against each other, maybe throw in Jigglypuff just to get her out of the way, too.

Edit: And didn't the F-zero stage move to places as well? Port Town Aero Drive or something...
I think it'd work, but if they don't have the Kalos Elite Four blasting attacks from their Pokemon at you, I'm going to be severely disappointed...

And yes, PTAD did move around.

Xauric

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xauric
But Captain Falcon is a god, and Lucina and Robin aren't...
So it should have been Captain Falcon vs. Palutena vs. Rosalina?

Or more appropriately, Lucina vs. Robin vs. Captain Falcon's Knee.

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
I think we talked about the potential for the Mewtwo trailer a while back, but to recap. There's two probable scenarios for how it could be done:
Villains trailer-Four of Nintendo's main baddies facing off against each other in the most epic battle ever.
Psychic Trailer-Pair him with Ness, Shulk, or Isaac for a psychic duel.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Like honestly, have you seen the Falcon Punch in the anime? That thing splits planets! If he had hit Lucina in the trailer, we wouldn't have this Marth clone.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I think we talked about the potential for the Mewtwo trailer a while back, but to recap. There's two probable scenarios for how it could be done:
Villains trailer-Four of Nintendo's main baddies facing off against each other in the most epic battle ever.
Psychic Trailer-Pair him with Ness, Shulk, or Isaac for a psychic duel.
The fact that we haven't seen a single new heavyweight or villain character yet makes me hope for the former. And the fact that just about all my most wanteds are villains.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
What if we get a chargeable Falcon Punch as a custom move? Or a giant Falcon launches out of his fist like a projectile lol

Steelia

Smash Champion
We did have 6 pokemon in brawl! pikachu,jigglypuff,lucario,charizard,squirtle and venasaur
Really?! I never unlocked Venusaur :p

Here's what I'm hoping will happen in the near future, and quiet the whole rep thing once and for all... Our ultimate trump card: Revealing Dr. Mario.
Sakurai has expressed disinterest in making Doc an alt for Mario in the past, because it "wouldn't look right to see Doc not throwing his pills". After the reveal of Lucina, I'm almost confident this was intentional to get people more comfortable with the idea of clones (and for Sakurai to give his reasons as to what justifies making an alternate costume into a separate character). This would also explain why we already have 5 Mario reps revealed. Surely there has to be at least one more surprise under the Mario franchise that has yet to be revealed!

Those are just my thoughts. But if people really are worried about Pokemon surpassing Mario in terms of reps (which they really shouldn't), adding Doc would silence that worry. People weren't expecting FE to get over 3 representatives this game. Sakurai truly is full of surprises...

billybobjoe53390

Smash Rookie
NNID
I don't know
3DS FC
1118-0802-7661
If they bring back Mewtwo, I will explode with joy. If they don't, I'll cry at night. :150:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

As for the trailer

I exspect mewtwo to be in it.

But however due to so close to release, the most requested are probably going to be in it

Mewtwo, and if in ridley and king k rool,

And to simply name the trailer, trailer of the villians. (Mewtwos is on neither side but you know what i mean.)

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
As for the trailer

I exspect mewtwo to be in it.

But however due to so close to release, the most requested are probably going to be in it

Mewtwo, and if in ridley and king k rool,

And to simply name the trailer, trailer of the villians. (Mewtwos rouge but you know what i mean.)
Mewtwo's red? I don't understand what you mean by describing Mewtwo as red in French...

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Isn't pokemon xy the best selling game ever on 3ds?Pokemon can have more reps than Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom