• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Violence

Smash Lord
Chocolate Thunder is kinda mediocre, I beat him pretty consistently when he came over.

And where the hell am I on this list? I like how I'm off the map here.

Violence

Smash Lord
Yo.

Also, I think my vs Fox is my best matchup right now.

Got ***** by Taj and S2J in pools, got into bracket, took a match off of SFAT's Fox(I got lucky and it looked like it wasn't a good day for him), got 1-2'd overall, took a match off of Lovage's Fox(I think I got lucky with him too), got 1-2'd overall in that one too.

I guess some people would say I'm unlucky for having those two in my bracket as rounds 1 and 2, but personally, I think I was lucky to face two Fox mains.

Violence

Smash Lord
I requested he go M2 if he ****ed me up with Marth. He obliged me.

I'm no stranger to the matchup either, got 3 stocked.

I'm supposed to keep M2 out with missiles and tilts, but Taj just moved way too fast. M2 can edgeguard Samus, but the other way around is quite hard.

Also his ledgestalling is kinda nuts. Ledgehop Up B with perfect invincibility, then he ledgehop wavelands to down B into ****.

It was just kinda nuts.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
No love for Lanowen? He always goes pretty even with me when we play, but I guess he's retired from smash now. SHWN was probably the best samus main though. Never had the pleasure of playing him myself, but from his reputation and three-year old youtube videos (lol) I'd say he's the best.
Lanowen sucks :cool:

DSP

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I've been playing Samus from time to time in the last months, and I can't seem to be able to get back to the ground safely once Samus has been knocked up (hurhur). Her slow fall speed and kind of a blind spot below her give me trouble with this. Any advice? Morph ball bombs fakeouts? I really have no idea, Dair is too slow and Nair does rarely work.

Geist

Smash Master
Depends on the character your opponent is playing and the stage you're on. Fox is an absolute nightmare on stages like Yoshi's, he can make multiple attempts to Uair you, while Marth tends to hang out on platforms to go for tilts and the like.
First you're going to want to DI away from them, regardless, and then wiggle out of your tumble and fast fall to the ground. DO NOT DOUBLE JUMP. A lot of times you're not hit that high up, and you can land safely across the stage just with fast falling.

If you are hit up high, bomb jumping can allow you to escape from a good amount of situations and land safely. It can be difficult to hit samus without bumping into a bomb first, so take advantage of that small amount of stun and make for the nearest platform or ff to the ground.
Against some charcters, bomb jumping too much of a risk, and you can make yourself worse off. A lot of times simply avoiding your opponent works best, even falling past the ledge and recovering afterwards.
Use double jump in emergencies, when you know for sure that you can simultaneously avoid being hit, and be able to reach the ground or a platform afterwards.

Pi

Smash Hero
your goal needs to be to land, a platform, the stage, even drifting off and going for the edge if you feel safe doing that works as well

air dodging when they've exhausted their options (double jumped, or landed too far away) toward a platform works
air dodging through them, to take a hit that won't keep you air borne works as well

Rat

Smash Lord
So I was thinking one thing hugS does better than any samus is transition between positioning and punishment.

Like Spaceballs goes for the ridiculous combo. A lot of times it pays off with something amazing. Yet other times in ends in manly failure. But hugs seems to take these single hits or two-piece hits and then just end it. Nothing huge just slowly positioning you to death.

Maybe it's that he doesn't need the huge combo to win. Hit-and-run tactics work because you constantly put them in Oki/you never leave your good position.

Imma try working on that ****.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
So I was thinking one thing hugS does better than any samus is transition between positioning and punishment.

Like Spaceballs goes for the ridiculous combo. A lot of times it pays off with something amazing. Yet other times in ends in manly failure. But hugs seems to take these single hits or two-piece hits and then just end it. Nothing huge just slowly positioning you to death.

Maybe it's that he doesn't need the huge combo to win. Hit-and-run tactics work because you constantly put them in Oki/you never leave your good position.

Imma try working on that ****.
It's something I notice when I'm playing too. Risk/Reward comes into play when you're trying to understand your opponent or if you're up or down a stock.

For example: If you get a weak Dash Attack hit you could either do a F-Smash or a F-Tilt. The Forward Smash has obvious benefits but there is risk of them either teching or jumping away in time. Foward Tilt however, is guaranteed damage but no power. I would opt for F-Tilt in most scenarios

Or certain times you predict an opening but you risk ruining your positioning (F-Smash might be shieldgrabbed if blocked or Falcon might Knee you if he blocks your Down Smash) yet the rewards is a very likely KO.

WaagOne

Smash Cadet
Hey I have a question which has probably been answered but I CBA to find it. What is the frame data for the fastest timing of spamming samus(es?) jab cancel? The data says its 17 for a normal jab cycle but it looks like its twice as fast with the cancel. Any help would be appreciated.

previous post say 4:20 PM =]

Pi

Smash Hero
17 frames is actually pretty quick lol
and also correct
jab comes out in 3 frames
crouch comes out on the 17th frame
have to crouch for 1 frame
then you can start the jab again so basically
Frame 0-17 is your first jab
frame 18 is your crouch animation
frame 19 is the soonest you can start jabbing again, with the hitbox coming out no sooner than frame 21

jab stays out for 2 frames, if it hits something there's hitlag so factor some more frames in there (prolly only 3-4 frames of hitlag at most)

to put 17 frames into perspective...17/60 is .283333 of a second

so it's fairly quick

rhan

Smash Hero
I voted for fair. :x

Also I have some matches of my Samus going up sometime today. I'll post them when they get up.

WaagOne

Smash Cadet
TY You da man! Damn thats fast I saw IHSB do it to some falcon who was trapped in a corner on PS, He couldn't do ****.
Im the only Samus in my country gotta represent. I think she's one of the hardest characters in the game to combo with (more then two hits) , so I like the challenge.

Lol who voted for up smash thats a joke right....

You ever experimented with double bomb on their shield to waveland behind them? Works well if you get a canceled missile and chase it with a full wavedash or two. I sub it in instead of a grab sometimes normally to a turn around down smash, f-tilt or a full charge shot if you space it right which should break their shield. Theoretically you could do it to another two bombs on the other side in an attempt to break their shield. We call the F tilt Nicholas Cage because its some **** guy who appears from no where and **** (<-a slang word for intercourse) **** up. Would love to go to pound V the venue looks so ****.

Geist

Smash Master
Bomb waveland is legit. It's a bit risky to use it on a regular basis though. Bomb pressure on shield is still pretty underrated imo, and it definitely has enough mixups to be feared when used properly.

also, I really need to practice speeding up my jab cancels ._.
lol

WaagOne

Smash Cadet
True true I love it has so many possibilities and punishes characters with a slow OoS game, which makes it pretty crap for spacies unless you mindgame it with double bombs. Its pretty hard to do consistently though.

I like to mix it up with bomb FF Fair/Nair to jab tends to cover the counter options to the bomb waveland which is either jump, wavedash or roll OoS . Does anyone know the frame data for the lag you get after you waveland seems pretty quick but isn't instant.

Is your avatar from the original pokemon in lavendar town the ghost of marowak? Noice

Geist

Smash Master
The effectiveness of bomb pressure kind of relative to how often you use it. If you suddenly use it for the first time in a match, it's going to be difficult for your opponent to spontaneously react and punish it, regardless of who you're playing. On the other hand, if all you do is bomb pressure, your opponent's going to start wding or attacking out of shield.
...This kind of goes for everything though.
I think waveland/dash lag is 10 frames iirc?

And yeah it's the ghost of marowak lol
I always thought that it was trying way too hard, it strikes me as funny.

WaagOne

Smash Cadet
I never thought of it that way pretty funny when you do. I recently played it through on the gd old visualboy emulator, its like crack with super speed you get a level every minute so its easy to complete in one or two sittings. I always cheat and get a dratini at the start though gotta love dragonites broken attack specs, up next on me list is crystal.

10 frames tends to be the magic number with samus thanks for that. I find you gotta adapt like crazy with samus you should never really spam anything except up tilt to edge guard that thing is to fake. Any tips for the marth match up? Besides using another character, I find thats actually bad advise since she (Yea if the parents called their male child Marth, I'm gonna assume its a girl regardless) consistently ***** characters across the board.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Ugh I hate the Sa,us vs Falcon matchup, it's so hard to kill a Falcon that knows how to DI and the margin of error (virtually none of your moves are safe) is so low that you have to pray for that first stock lead to make any kind of headway.

All of Samus's major kill moves have some kind of lag in that matchup, so one wrong decision is a Knee OOS into w/e.

WaagOne

Smash Cadet
Oh **** the sparrow I wanna MM you sometime I got some relatives that live in florida so at some point I want to fly over and **** you all, phanna included lol.

Know what you mean about C Falcon he's kind of a *** licking rectal worm that moves at the speed of light. Who ever designed his move set must of been tripping on LSD or something. Cos there is no point in f zero where it mentions him kneeing his enemies to death, if there is I missed it cos I was concentrating on trying not to blow up my car which ironically moves slower then him.

If you ain't seen it already you should check this **** out if your a fan of chuck norris.

http://www.nochucknorris.com/

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Oh **** the sparrow I wanna MM you sometime I got some relatives that live in florida so at some point I want to fly over and **** you all, phanna included lol.

Know what you mean about C Falcon he's kind of a *** licking rectal worm that moves at the speed of light. Who ever designed his move set must of been tripping on LSD or something. Cos there is no point in f zero where it mentions him kneeing his enemies to death, if there is I missed it cos I was concentrating on trying not to blow up my car which ironically moves slower then him.

If you ain't seen it already you should check this **** out if your a fan of chuck norris.

http://www.nochucknorris.com/
Fine I'll MM you, I live in S.FL btw, Phanna lives in SW.FL like 200 miles away. lol

My problem is that Falcon has like a billion ways of getting in and is hard to kill horizontally unless he's below the stage. Thing is, Falcons with good DI can easily survive at ridiculously high %s, esp. on larger stages like Dreamland.

Top Bottom