• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO South Results!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliagent3

Smash Rookie
lemme just add that infinites in mvc2 aren't really infinites. so it's not really broken per se

Drephen

Smash Master
1.) everyone starts wobbling, or IC's make it to finals every tourney

2.) the game starts getting frusterating, no one wants to camp for 4 min. every match

3.) everyone thinks matches are boring, very few people still play, basically becomes every other fighting game

4.) destroys whats left of melee

to echo what pc said. got nothing against wobbles himself,(cept bringing back this stupid move into coummunity again) wobbles did nothing wrong at the tourney.

**** ice climbers

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
I'm sorry but you have the full ability to not get grabbed in a match. It's entirely possible. . .
Not w/o camping and/or spamming projectiles and even then no one is perfect so at some point you'll probably get grabbed anyway. Your logic is ridiculous. You defend the wobble infinite by saying that it's not a problem if you don't get grabbed." That's about as reasonable as you whining about getting shine combo'ed by Falco and me saying don't get shined. The difference between the two is that getting shined does not constitute losing a stock. If you can DI/tech properly you can escape shine combos. The same cannot be said concerning the wobble-- if you get grabbed, you die. How is this in the spirit of the game?

edit: I agree w/Drephen. The last thing anyone wants is this game to devolve into a campfest. Can you imagine eight minutes of a Falco running around using shl and rshl in an attempt to evade the ICs?

Master Chibi

Smash Cadet
The game has been out for far too long for 'wobbling' to affect it now. As has already been mentioned in this thread, 'wobbling' is not a new tactic. So if it wasn't being abused in the past, and heralded in by a mountain of sheep who wanted to play the game by doing the same, that certainly won't happen now, especially on the heels of Brawl coming out soon.

2.) the game starts getting frusterating, no one wants to camp for 4 min. every match
Sucks for you. 'Camping', running away, turtling, zoning while being defensive, and so on are all perfectly normal techniques to utilize in this game, and much any other fighter. If you can't handle it, stop playing, don't force other people to adhere to your standards.

3.) everyone thinks matches are boring, very few people still play, basically becomes every other fighting game
Once again, you guys prove why other FG communities haven't taken you seriously up until now.

Rightttttt. Doomsday approaches, run for shelter and all that.

to echo what pc said. got nothing against wobbles himself,(cept bringing back this stupid move into coummunity again) wobbles did nothing wrong at the tourney.
Man this forum needs an emoticon of a guy slapping his forhead until he dies. seriously.

Not w/o camping and/or spamming projectiles and even then no one is perfect so at some point you'll probably get grabbed anyway.
Exactly, wobbles has already answered my question on the matter, if noone's perfect then neither is he. If all he's aiming for is to land it, then by all means you should win the match. Having a one track mind in any fighter, Smash included, more or less equates to you losing pretty **** quickly.

You defend the wobble infinite by saying that it's not a problem if you don't get grabbed." That's about as reasonable as you whining about getting shine combo'ed by Falco and me saying don't get shined. The difference between the two is that getting shined does not constitute losing a stock. If you can DI/tech properly you can escape shine combos. The same cannot be said concerning the wobble-- if you get grabbed, you die.
So kill Nana? So spam projectiles?

I mean you and a few others are like:

"HOW TO WINZORZ AT SMASH:

1. PICK ICE CLIMBERZ AT SELECT SCREEN.

2. LEARN TO DO TEH WOBBLEZ.

3. GRAB A SANDWHICHIES.

4. GO OUT AND WIN ALL TOURNAMENTS FOREVR AND EVERZ.

How is this in the spirit of the game?
You mean winning?

Hell if I know, I just play Smash because of the pretty colors buddy.

caliagent3

Smash Rookie
Not w/o camping and/or spamming projectiles and even then no one is perfect so at some point you'll probably get grabbed anyway. Your logic is ridiculous. You defend the wobble infinite by saying that it's not a problem if you don't get grabbed." That's about as reasonable as you whining about getting shine combo'ed by Falco and me saying don't get shined. The difference between the two is that getting shined does not constitute losing a stock. If you can DI/tech properly you can escape shine combos. The same cannot be said concerning the wobble-- if you get grabbed, you die. How is this in the spirit of the game?
He already said before that IC are akin to SF2's Zangief. ICs whole gameplay is throwing, Zangiefs whole gameplay is throwing. Both lose unless they can find a way in. I don't see why you can't just zone out IC. Especially with better characters.

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
I like how an entire tournament result thread turned into a wobble bash thread. Why can we not just respect good players, practice, and hope that next time we will do better? We all have room to improve, even Caveman and Wobbles. So stop complaining and just play the game. Wobbling takes skill just like everything else, but you know what? You will get over it. You will not lose sleep because you got wobbled. Hell, I laugh when I get wobbled. Wobbling happens. Get over it.

hova

Smash Champion

**** ice climbers

wobbles does take the fun outta the game

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
i'm gonna name a couple names:

dope, watty, drephen, maybe some more.

now I have something to say.

If you're gonna tell me that knowing the game in an out is part of its great strategy and that to overcome certain unfair tactics and, ahem, stages is a part of getting good at this game, then dont complain about the infinte.

----------------------------------------

continuing.

I congratulate wobbles and he is absolutely right. I have had the luck to be able to play Zack Soup (the one who came up with the infinite with wobbles) and at first me and the other people we smash with (falco, fox, mario and peach myself) would get infinited like twice a match. Now I never get infinited (but thats because i'm peach), Green_Mario gets infinited like once every 3 matches and the fox and falco (noucles and lambchops) get hit by it like once every 2 matches.

when you paly against it, you know how to get past it. You become better at wiggling out at low percents even with nana right there, and you learn to keep them seperated at the cost of some damage. Its a trade off.

Before DI really became a real fleshed out tactic, people used to not be able to escape chain grabs, shine combos, up throw to up airs with fox, etc. But you learn how to get around them. The infinite is a much better tactic, but you learn to get around it all the same. You'll still get infinited, but you still get up throw to up air'd, dont you?

The only restriction on the infinite should be time wise to avoid stalling, 250%-300% is fine, which is all of 15-20 seconds even from low percents.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
He already said before that IC are akin to SF2's Zangief. ICs whole gameplay is throwing, Zangiefs whole gameplay is throwing. Both lose unless they can find a way in. I don't see why you can't just zone out IC. Especially with better characters.
this doesn't change anything I said.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
All the arguments I'm seeing against wobbling are spurious:

1) But you can't not get grabbed!

So what? Complaining that a grab can kill you is like complaining that a tipper from Marth can kill Falco at 10%. At high levels of play, the Marth is VERY LIKELY TO LAND AT LEAST ONE TIPPER. Yet you still try to avoid it, even though you're not going to be able to 100%. And look at Fox's shine. It completely ***** Captain Falcon, among other characters. It is very easy to do. Fox players can say "don't get shined" and the CF players can try, but at high levels of play, they're still probably going to get gimped at least once per match if not more. The point is that many characters have dominant techniques which are "unfair" because they give that character an advantage in certain situations. Big ****ing deal. The game isn't supposed to be fair. There's a tier list for a reason.

2) Only certain characters can do well against ICs who wobble!

So use one of those characters. Only a few characters do well against Sheik, Fox, Falco, Marth, etc. If you play Captain Falcon and you're constantly facing Foxes, Sheiks, and Falcos, you could whine about the matchups being unfair, or you could work more on those matchups so you have a chance. Or you could counterpick characters. But you do have choices, and the game is not broken just because some characters dominate most of the matchups. And it won't be broken if ICs dominate all the matchups but four characters. Counterpick with those characters.

3) It takes no skill!

The infinite itself isn't hard to do. I can do it 100% of the time and I'm not that good. But when I use ICs against good players I usually lose, even if I get an infinite or two. If it truly took no skill then ICs should be winning a lot more tourneys. The technique has been known for a long time, and has been well-publicized ever since Chu started using it at MLGs. ICs have had time to fully incorporate it into their game, yet they aren't winning all the tourneys. They've had time.

And Wobbles isn't a noob. He may not be as well-known as a lot of other players but he is still quite good, which should be obvious from the fact that he won this tournament. But the established pros would rather think he won because of a broken tactic instead of giving him credit.

If the ICs end up moving to top tier or even God tier because of this tactic, it still doesn't break the game. Players will just have to develop new counter-tactics, just like they did in the past against other dominant tactics.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
All the arguments I'm seeing against wobbling are spurious:

1) But you can't not get grabbed!

So what? Complaining that a grab can kill you is like complaining that a tipper from Marth can kill Falco at 10%. At high levels of play, the Marth is VERY LIKELY TO LAND AT LEAST ONE TIPPER. Yet you still try to avoid it, even though you're not going to be able to 100%.
For the record that is a horrible analogy because getting tipped like that usually only happens if they DI all the way to the side like an idiot

Velox

Smash Ace
The Ice Climber tilt infinite is ruining the game. It should be banned.

**** Ice Climbers

On a side note, Wobbles was a cool person in person.

Some people don't realize how powerful of a technique desynching is, and the grabs that it can get you.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
For the record that is a horrible analogy because getting tipped like that usually only happens if they DI all the way to the side like an idiot
It's an ANALOGY. No analogy is perfect, BY DEFINITION. That's what makes it an analogy and not the same ****ing thing.

And I didn't even specify how the Falco would get tipped, so what the hell are you talking about?

KeepSpeedN

Smash Ace
wobbling is gay... but u don't have 2 call wobbles gay..(2 whoever calls wobbles gay)

i remember i did a MM against chu and all he did was wobble and i lost 3-2. i know how it feels 2 get wobbled. so just 2 let u guys know that I have gotten wobbled before...:/

wobbling is a gay tactic but there's no use complaining about it if
1) it's not going 2 get tooken out
2) the person doing the wobbling just doesn't give a fuc*.because then ur just banging ur head against a brick wall.(no outcome whatsoever)

like i said before if u don't like it make a thread about it in the melee discussion or something. most likely moderators would look more into the issue of wobbling.

Echo

Smash Champion
why the **** do i keep reading "just dont get grabbed". that is the stupidest **** i have ever read in my life, and like 400 people have already posted that before me. do you even play this game? Grabbing is an essential and key thing to any fighting game, and smash is no different. you will get grabbed, thats just how it works.

about wobbling though, the only person i've ever had try to wobble me was Big C, and he sucks at it. badly. very badly. So i've had no problem with it as of yet, and being a Samus player, it still wouldnt be as bad for me as it would alot of players. But honestly, it DOES take the fun out of the game to see. I'll never forget the vid on youtube of wobbles vs. edreese, where all wobbles did was sit under the ****in platform camping the entire match. Its rediculous, and as if its not bad enough every smasher and their family are playing space animals now, we have to see **** like this.

i have no say in weather you guys wanna ban it or not, since i've never played the dude. but please, anyone that wants to enter this topic, dont even think about typing "dont get grabbed" that **** is so ****ing weak.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Actually, most people look at that match and say that Edreese was camping the platforms. Seriously, if you know much about IC's vs. Peach, you'd know that Peach likes the platforms against them b/c it gives her good space control with turnips and floats, and IC's like being beneath them because it lets them use their up-airs and also gives them an out against the turnips' trajectory and keeps them from getting owned by floated down-airs.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
This topic has become so popular wtf.
I really thing the wobble thing is G A Y. Ive gotten caught by it several times in the past and that SHlT is mad G A Y, sittin mashing buttons mad hard. Most people feel like just slappin the controller of the other niga's hands and then jabbing him so he could stop.
Is controller slapping banned?
If not....Im about to spam that SHlT, and ill be intouchable. Btw this is probably the best counter against the wobble.

Master Chibi

Smash Cadet
why the **** do i keep reading "just dont get grabbed". that is the stupidest **** i have ever read in my life, and like 400 people have already posted that before me. do you even play this game? Grabbing is an essential and key thing to any fighting game, and smash is no different. you will get grabbed, thats just how it works.
Hey, I'm going to say it again, only in really, really big letters and a different color, ok?

If you want some pretty pictures to go with it let me know.

DON'T FREAKING GET GRABBED.

This is why I said IC = Zangief. His dominate strength is to command grab the crap out of you, but to do so he has to get in on you first. Everyone playing against a Zangief and everyone playing as Zangief knows this. Zangief can kill some characters with TWO COMMAND GRABS.

So as his opponent, are you going to willingly run into his arms, allowing him to do what he wants? Obviously not, thus the same applies for IC. If you see the IC player constantly going for wobbling, make him pay for it. It's just what's inherently PART OF THE FREAKING MATCH UP. A good Zangief will have the patience and skill to eventually get in on you and throw you, but as his opponent, you should have twice the patience and skill to keep him out, that's simply what you have to do in that match up. You're not going to run smack into the IC's grab range now, are you? No, you bust your butt to keep them the hell away if you see that they're aiming for wobbling and nothing else. If it doesn't work, pick a character to counter them, thus giving you the advantage. If they stick with IC even when you counter them, it's still in your favor.

i have no say in weather you guys wanna ban it or not, since i've never played the dude. but please, anyone that wants to enter this topic, dont even think about typing "dont get grabbed" that **** is so ****ing weak.
You're pretty freaking weak for getting bent out of shape on the matter. It's a tactic that's in every other fighting game, and Smash is no different. PICKING IC DOES NOT EQUATE TO AN INSTANT WIN, NOR DOES LANDING A WOBBLE. You have several lives in Smash, and it is escapable early on. There are ways around it, as have already been mentioned.

Suck it up, figure out anti-wobble tactics, and hit wobble phoenix back twice as hard for it. You should be thanking the guy instead of saying stupid crap like "No offense Wobble, you cool and all but wobblin is gay and you didn't deserve to win against Caveman and so on". As someone mentioned already, this is not how you treat fellow players in the community.

Grow up.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Suck it up, figure out anti-wobble tactics, and hit wobble phoenix back twice as hard for it. You should be thanking the guy instead of saying stupid crap like "No offense Wobble, you cool and all but wobblin is gay and you didn't deserve to win against Caveman and so on". As someone mentioned already, this is not how you treat fellow players in the community.

Grow up.
I agree with this guy completly, hence my new anti-wobble tactic in my previous post, as stated above. It literally hits him back twice as hard.

The King

Smash Ace
This has been discussed way too much over the past few months. Everything has already been said multiple times over, both in wobbling's defense and against it. Sadly a lot of people against this tactic have expressed their opinions very immaturely, and this is extremely disappointing. This whole community needs to man up and start treating our game like a real fighter. There are things in every good game that, when not looked at in an improper light, seem impossible to overcome. This shouldn't be one of them.

1.) "Don't get grabbed" is an excellent solution to this technique. You're just reading it the wrong way. You're taking it as a challenge, you're taking it too literally. It's not what the saying is suggesting you do, because quite frankly I've never seen a match where a player didn't get grabbed a couple times unless they really sucked. You should take the saying as a guideline. Read between the lines as to what it's insinuating. It's saying to play smart, to play cautious, to recognize the strengths of your opponent and do all in your power to circumvent them. Example: when I play Jigglypuff, my mindset is "don't get Upsmashed or Uaired". Guess what? It still happens, and I accept that. It's part of the game. But when you go into a match knowing what to look out for, and you know how to properly avoid it, you end up getting hit by it far, far less often.

2.) Don't ever compare tournament/skill rankings when you're discussing how well someone does against you in a friendly. Those are for fun, grudge matches or not. Leave them at that. Same thing goes for saying "he doesn't do as well without the infinite as he does when he uses it." Guess what, I can't remember the last time I lost to a Fox that agreed not to use Upsmash the entire match. When you take away options, you obviously decrease the potential of the character.

3.) The IC infinite isn't ruining the game, nor will it ever. You're exaggerating a minor hurdle, blowing it way out of proportion, then saying we had best stop the technique before it claims any more victims. Bull ****. It's one character, with one technique, that requires a lot of mistakes and negligence on the opposing side before the IC player can take advantage. You might be pissed that you feel the reward is far too great for having gotten grabbed once, but tough luck. It isn't the simplest grab in the world to get, and tons of characters have a plethora of options for keeping the IC's out of range of a grab. Not to mention you can just incapacitate or kill nana, and the problem is solved. Also don't forget, that's only 1 stock out of 4. Which occurs usually in 1 match out of 3.

4.) Morality doesn't come into play when it comes to a competitive match. End of story. Stop *****ing that your opponent is using gimpy, easy, skill-less, or efficient methods for disposing you. Nobody cares that you hate losing to certain technique. Learn to get around things in this game, you might actually improve in the process.

5.) Few people seem to be giving Rob the respect as a player he deserves. I can attest that he is, in fact, an excellent player with a deep knowledge of his character and its matchups. He won a tourney, beating Caveman in the finals. And from the accounts I've heard, it wasn't a narrow victory. I don't believe Wobbles lost even one single game that entire tourney. That speaks far more for his skill than it does one technique.

King Out

Master Chibi

Smash Cadet
I agree with this guy completly, hence my new anti-wobble tactic in my previous post, as stated above. It literally hits him back twice as hard.
You're pretty sad to even think of doing that.

Really now, you're basically saying that your inablity to play against IC results in you lashing out your opponent like a two year old whose favorite toy is on a shelf too high up for him too reach.

You probably need a booster seat to eat restaurants, don't you?

Real cute.

:dizzy:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey, I'm going to say it again, only in really, really big letters and a different color, ok?

If you want some pretty pictures to go with it let me know.

DON'T FREAKING GET GRABBED.

This is why I said IC = Zangief. His dominate strength is to command grab the crap out of you, but to do so he has to get in on you first. Everyone playing against a Zangief and everyone playing as Zangief knows this. Zangief can kill some characters with TWO COMMAND GRABS.

So as his opponent, are you going to willingly run into his arms, allowing him to do what he wants? Obviously not, thus the same applies for IC. If you see the IC player constantly going for wobbling, make him pay for it. It's just what's inherently PART OF THE FREAKING MATCH UP. A good Zangief will have the patience and skill to eventually get in on you and throw you, but as his opponent, you should have twice the patience and skill to keep him out, that's simply what you have to do in that match up. You're not going to run smack into the IC's grab range now, are you? No, you bust your butt to keep them the hell away if you see that they're aiming for wobbling and nothing else. If it doesn't work, pick a character to counter them, thus giving you the advantage. If they stick with IC even when you counter them, it's still in your favor.

You're pretty freaking weak for getting bent out of shape on the matter. It's a tactic that's in every other fighting game, and Smash is no different. PICKING IC DOES NOT EQUATE TO AN INSTANT WIN, NOR DOES LANDING A WOBBLE. You have several lives in Smash, and it is escapable early on. There are ways around it, as have already been mentioned.

Grow up.

Do you even play this game? Do you have ANY idea how impossible it is not to be grabbed in this game? Watch any match between top level players...The best in the world..and they will be grabbed over 4 times I guarentee it. This is not like other fighting games. You will be grabbed. Should you lose because you get grabbed 4 times?

You cannot just make an IC's "pay" for trying to grab you..its not like they will just run around trying to grab you..they are going to play off your mistakes and use the fact that you are trying not to be grabbed to their advantage to no end.

You cannot compare this game to other fighting games. Stop doing it. This game is too different.

You are right. Landing a Wobble does not equal a win. But landing 4 does. And its not to hard to land 4 grabs.

Most of the people here are not being immature..and to those who are..why? Wobbles is a very cool guy and he had every right to use wobbling in this tournament and I don't look down upon him at all for it. I respect him as a player and know that he doesn't just need wobbling to win.

This isn't about Wobbles/Honorbound/blind..this is about Wobbling being banned. It is too easy to pull off and almost guarentees a win if the player knows how to use IC's.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
This niga Chibi definetly has a CHIBI DIK. But nah, ive prooved myself against IC's. Beating trail is proof of that right?
CHibi boi, u def gonna need a booster seat when tryin to beat me. Peace!!

Master Chibi

Smash Cadet
Do you even play this game? Do you have ANY idea how impossible it is not to be grabbed in this game? Watch any match between top level players...The best in the world..and they will be grabbed over 4 times I guarentee it. This is not like other fighting games. You will be grabbed. Should you lose because you get grabbed 4 times?
You are missing the entire point I'm trying to make.

Read The King's post above this here.

I know you're going to get grabbed, and if you're playing a high level IC user, then you're going to get wobbled. DEAL. WITH. IT.

You cannot just make an IC's "pay" for trying to grab you..its not like they will just run around trying to grab you..they are going to play off your mistakes and use the fact that you are trying not to be grabbed to their advantage to no end.
That's part of the game buddy.

And again, you're taking it too literally, and in the entirely wrong manner.

If an IC player is aiming to hit you with nothing but wobbling, it'll be plain as day. Thus you use this to your ADVANTAGE, because as I've mentioned, a one track mind in any fighting game (Smash has no reason to be excluded from this) will lead to your defeat.

You cannot compare this game to other fighting games. Stop doing it. This game is too different.
Wrong. It has spacing, zoning, turtling, offensive tactics, defensive tactics, infinites, cheap crap, gay crap, easy crap, hard crap, top tiers, low tiers, easy combos, hard combos, so on, and so forth. It's a fighting game just as much as SF2 is.

And I can't even BELIEVE I'm arguing with you about it, shouldn't it be the other way around? I may be a novice Smash player who primarily plays other 2d / 3d fighting games, but you're telling me to NOT accept Smash as a fighting game in the same league as SF2, 3S, GGXX, etc?

Yeah, good job on that buddy.

You are right. Landing a Wobble does not equal a win. But landing 4 does. And its not to hard to land 4 grabs.
SO.

DON'T.

FREAKING.

GET.

GRABBED.

I'll keep saying that until you realize the actual bloody principle of the matter.

@ Warrior:

Man, I've got nothing against you, but if you were just joking around then my apologies.

It's just I've been threatened with physical violence before when I won in the past, so I look down upon it.

Sorry for getting personal, my mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom