• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2kXV Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
CaptainAwesum hasn't even won his own locals. He is top 32 at EVO. That actually literally speaks volumes about preparedness and familiarity with a given strategy and MU.
he got a bracket with a lot of people with no experience with customs IMO, lots of players that played in the same way lost right away by people counterpicking mii brawler and upb the villager to their deaths from the ledge.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
RIP the old competitive impressions thread
Apparently False and Nairo play?
Oh yes, this'll be good

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Why are there Japan flags next to Ramin and Dapuffster's names when neither of them are from that country?

EDIT: Nvm they just changed it

BSP

Smash Legend
Honestly, back in Brawl I used to think the same way. But the past 5ish months I've been thinking, watching, playing etc. of matches
All we ****ing choose is startville and maybe FD or BF. Tell me, how many times have we saw Delfino halberd lylat today?

Any other time somebody might choose a different stage is extremely specific instances if the player truly wants to win like Halberd if they're Rosalina for example while BF clones like Dreamland is the alternative but people still default to Vanilla BF anyways.

If Miiverse legal at EVO?
I've stopped letting Sheik, Rosalina, and Sonic take me to SV game 1. Otherwise I usually don't mind it.

Everybody should have a pocket Kirby to deal with custom stuff ;D
WRT Villager, Pac-Man is a counter to that strategy. Villager can't shoot Lloids from the ledge or Pac-Man heals, and Pac-Man's Key will hit Villager for 15% on ledge regrabs.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
As mad as I am that Capt. Awesum is still livin, I do love him as a WWE style villain. I dont think Stallager is boring to watch, but I also dont hate Rosa play either. Its different is all. I am disappointed because he played really poorly yesterday and was still winning; Ive seen him play much better at Smash Attack. I love his whole series with Vinnie.

Now we live and the man himself is on stream against Larry!

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I'd normally agree with you RE: local placement, but he's in one of the top two hardest regions in this country. I don't think it's that unusual for a B-league player from NY/NJ/FL to place top 32 at a large tournament.

I still agree that MU familiarity is a huge factor though. CaptAwesum beat Vinnie's Sheik in WF of Smash Attack (he lost GF though, so no local win :awesome:). Even if Rain/K9 watched videos, that doesn't beat actual practice against top-level opponents.
I do agree that his regions are stifling, but having watched his actual tourney play leading up to EVO, the reason he is a B-tier player is because his strategy is so one dimensional. He is like the opposite of a player like Dabuz, who can open up into pure aggression when the flow of a match inhibits his stage control. CaptainAwsum just happens to pick a strategy that requires an inordinate amount of patience to trounce, and most players coming into EVO are not ready to play that kind of game.

I think videos do go a long way, but they are only a part of the game plan. Even if say, Rain couldn't find an opponent to practice, just visualizing and becoming ready to greatly adjust his normal playstyle would have made a massive difference. As it stands, I think players either underestimated CaptainAwsum, like in the case of Rain, who is used to the ultimate aggro Villager, or couldn't adjust to a part of the meta that most people choose to pretend doesn't exist.

he got a bracket with a lot of people with no experience with customs IMO, lots of players that played in the same way lost right away by people counterpicking mii brawler and upb the villager to their deaths from the ledge.
This as well. But really, all it takes is someone to play to win by any means necessary. Rain could have out-camped that Villager. Sheik is the ultimate camper that no one is willing to pitch the tent with.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Larry putting in work and not getting flustered. Key move here. I think he is taking a few too many risks, but it did pay off.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
Larry is letting Awesum get the replant too easily. Hes charging needles when he doesnt need to be. I actually am not a fan of the Sheik counterpick.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Aaaaand CaptAwesum for the time out. Larry needs to hang back with needles once he gets the percent lead.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Man custom salt in the chat is real. Yet somehow this is one of the hypest smash 4 matches in EVO.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I'm also not sure about this counterpick. I think Fox would have been a superior option here, by simple virtue of the reflector shenanigans.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
The salt is real. And Larry is a true sportsman here, going for the handshake. I've never rooted for a Sheik so hard in my life.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Make sure you're watching poverty chat on vgbootcamp, the LARRY chants were SO REAL

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
"How dare you look salty?"
Really what I was thinking. He abused (the lack of preparation against) an strategy to bring others salt, and he made a face like HE was the one lamed out.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
Larry looked like he was really comfortable that last game. Still wasnt as dominating as it could be but shows patient play is the really counter to stallager. Hearing Awesum plays winner of Tweek vs SS, hopefully Tweek makes it and doesnt get Lloid spiked again.

Also the 'hype' around that match just really proves how great a villain Awesum is. That was fantastic!

"How dare you look salty?"
Really what I was thinking. He abused (the lack of preparation against) an strategy to bring others salt, and he made a face like HE was the one lamed out.
Having watched Awesum a few times in streams, he seems like a notorious poor sport. First time he went to Smash Attack and MikeKirby beat him with meteor stone he got on mic and complained that Mike never told him what the custom did. He said he felt scummed out! I feel bad cause Im sure its an awful feeling to have everyone cheer against you but at the same time he needs to start acting a little more mature if he doesnt want to be totally hated on.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
CaptAwesum is the same guy who complained about getting cheese killed at 20% by Mike Kirby's Meteor Stone while he planked.

He really is a good villain.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
False playing on point. He plays such a slippery Sheik as opposed to Zero's more aggro wall. Too bad about that Nairo SD. Still, Nairo has been putting in time in the lab, and his Zairs are spectacular.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
Welp Nairo looks like hes feeling better today. Pretty dominating ZSS from him against False, made False look bad.

Edit: Looking at bracket Zeros first match of the day is against John Numbers. No wonder he wanted that Wii so bad. Lets go John, Wii Fit power!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom