• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2kXV Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Eh, I think two things happened to False here:

1. Nairo picked the quick side-B, which really took away Sheik's ability to pressure with needles, forcing Sheik to play a bit more aggro. Unfortunately, False as a player has a tendency to over-extend himself when he is forced to go aggro, which leads to...

2. Once False lost the stock lead, he really started to over reach. He lost a bit of his fluid movement and went for the kill, which Nairo was anticipating. Nairo landed more grabs in the third round as a result, which lead to absurd ZSS punishes. Even Sheik's Fair can be punished, especially when spacing goes out the window.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
So how is Static Manny any better than Capt Awesum? I cant believe hes the one who beat Dabuz. I imagine it involved about 43 spring drops because I dont know how Dabuz of all players loses to this.

Wish FOW would try u-smash, its fairly fast and covers in front and above him. PK Thunders could force Manny to do more as well, even if shielded its not like theres any endlag on the move.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
It's a good trade in the Sheik MU, where default paralyzer is just a bit too slow to be effective against Sheik. I think in that particular MU, it compensates for the tether, because it forces Sheik to either approach or try to counter-camp with needles, which would be of limited effectiveness.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This is the reason I don't know why there is only one Double Spring set, forcing Sonic to use it with Hammer Dash, which is not as good for punishing as Spindash

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
So how is Static Manny any better than Capt Awesum? I cant believe hes the one who beat Dabuz. I imagine it involved about 43 spring drops because I dont know how Dabuz of all players loses to this.
He is not. Default Sonic (Manny won the second game) can do the camp game too. But I guess you can "properly" challenge a Campy Sonic ( I mean all Sonic lost Nick Riddle's ZSS at CEO) but not a Ledge Stalling Villager...

BSP

Smash Legend
Why do people keep giving Sonic the SV platform to run to? Vs timeout Sonic, I feel like taking it out for him would help you more than hurt you.

Edit: although Ness has shenanigans with it too.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
The reason Static Manny is a better player than CaptAwsum is because he plays against both the character and the player. He did a fantastic job of baiting Fow, and choosing his punishes wisely, while being super safe against a character that can punish for 50% off a read. In other words, like any A-tier player, he can adapt his strategy to his opponent. This is where CaptAwsum is limited as a player. He had no other strategy to switch to, once his started to get trounced. He couldn't adapt on the fly, and had no ability to actually formulate a strategy to counter Larry.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Probably about 3 people total will blame Sonic's existence on customs.

Speaking of which, how many of you 1. Think sonic needs "fixing" and 2. What would you change about him?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Larry is going Falco???

Edit: Nevermind.
"Saving Falco for Evo" my ***. :p

Well, there's still a couple of rounds left. As far as I know, Falco made it to 65th place courtesy of Keitaro. Almost top 64. I just realized something, did Ryuga, Blitz, or San go? I don't think Ryo did... Shame since it would have been cool seeing Ike.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
The reason Static Manny is a better player than CaptAwsum is because he plays against both the character and the player. He did a fantastic job of baiting Fow, and choosing his punishes wisely, while being super safe against a character that can punish for 50% off a read. In other words, like any A-tier player, he can adapt his strategy to his opponent. This is where CaptAwsum is limited as a player. He had no other strategy to switch to, once his started to get trounced. He couldn't adapt on the fly, and had no ability to actually formulate a strategy to counter Larry.
Ah, sorry, I didnt mean better as a player, I know Manny is much more skilled than Awesum, I meant only as far as playstyle. I should have said, 'Why is Mannys Campic any better than Awesums Stallager' cause this is honestly a much less fun match to watch.

Edit: Oh thank god FOW clutched that out. L2 airdodge Manny, L2 airdodge.

Edit2: ESAM and Regi up next! Hes from Mexico right? I would be ok with him beating ESAM.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Ah, sorry, I didnt mean better as a player, I know Manny is much more skilled than Awesum, I meant only as far as playstyle. I should have said, 'Why is Mannys Campic any better than Awesums Stallager' cause this is honestly a much less fun match to watch.
Sonic does not want to contest Ness when his aerials and Dash Attaxk are the size of Eagleland itself. I don't blame Manny in the slightest for taking his time.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
ESAM vs Regi.
One of my favorite players vs my compatriot.
I wish both of them do well.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924

Well, there's still a couple of rounds left. As far as I know, Falco made it to 65th place courtesy of Keitaro. Almost top 64. I just realized something, did Ryuga, Blitz, or San go? I don't think Ryo did... Shame since it would have been cool seeing Ike.
SM got the place right above 32nd. He wasn't on stream, though.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
the 2 biggest campers of the bracket lost, mainly because FOW and Larry knew they were going against campers and practiced in their rooms yesterday after pools.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

None of them did, no.

We had one mid level Ike got and made some progress in pools, but not enough to get out.

Minordeth

Smash Ace

Edit: Oh thank god FOW clutched that out. L2 airdodge Manny, L2 airdodge.

Edit2: ESAM and Regi up next! Hes from Mexico right? I would be ok with him beating ESAM.
Oh, yeah that makes sense. I enjoyed the match, if only to see the mind games. Manny is a good Sonic, and he played the match right, although FOW was a few steps ahead towards the end, especially once Sonic got into kill throw range.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord

No. None of the notable Ikes went to Evo. I believe San said there is at least one good player Ike there.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
SM got the place right above 32nd. He wasn't on stream, though.
Yeah, checked the Ike boards and saw that. SM, a crew member of Larry and whose tag ironically means "Super Mario". He was a Mario main according to the F&D commentators. From what I remember, he's good, but I wished he was on stream. A lot of things I wished were on stream like Tearbear vs. Nietono.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
ESAM dropped the combo, but Regi choked and got killed. Why not use the bucket tho?

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I don't think people appreciate how difficult the HSB must be to land. You have to react nearly instantly to a hit of neutral b to not have it be spot dodged. He's practiced a lot on that.

D

Deleted member

If customs were off that Game and Watch would've beat ESAM. First Captain Awesum and now this...

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
This G&W player, Regi, what the hell did I just watch

He almost took that entire game from ESAM, who had custom Pikachu no less

G&W needs to be re-evaluated

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Nah, Regi started taking too many risks as Esam slowed the pace down. Esam said he was going to work on momentum shifting, and he has followed through. Stellar set.

TheZyzyva

Smash Apprentice
Regi is soooooo on point with those shields, what a great player. I love G&W but he just doesnt have the speed to make up for his light weight. Wonder what someone like Regi could do with a more reliable character. Hope he goes far in losers, he'll be playing Vinnie most likely, I think he can take him.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
That was a great set, but even as a Pikachu main I get salty with how powerful smash input Heavy Skull Bash is. I would be interested to watch them play again in a Customs Off tournament.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom