• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2015: Melee or Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smash 4 is fine, and will be crazy popular and supported for at least 1 to 2 years. They have much less to lose than melee does. And that sentiment of melee's age is ridiculous. I just got into melee this years, and I'm enjoying it like crazy. Melee is a special game that can stand the tests of time, which is more than we can say for smash 4 AT THE MOMENT. Stop endowing everything to smash 4 and let it go through its growing pains peacefully through 2015.
And losing Melee would be a bad thing? To who? People who like Melee will keep playing Melee. More people like Smash 4. Give them what they want

you aren't everyone. People have so many variances among each other. Overall, most gamers prefer new games

Stop limiting the potential growth of Smash 4. Melee will be fine without EVO as it has been for 12 years without Melee. It can easily do 1 more. Why wouldn't it? Should I say in another wording that having Smash 4 at EVO will give the most optimal outcome for the whole Smash community?

Smashers can do a lot of self-sustaining on their own. Brawl did it. Melee did it. Why can't Smash 4?

Macdaddy53156a

Smash Rookie
And losing Melee would be a bad thing? To who? People who like Melee will keep playing Melee. More people like Smash 4. Give them what they want

you aren't everyone. People have so many variances among each other. Overall, most gamers prefer new games

Stop limiting the potential growth of Smash 4. Melee will be fine without EVO as it has been for 12 years without Melee. It can easily do 1 more. Why wouldn't it? Should I say in another wording that having Smash 4 at EVO will give the most optimal outcome for the whole Smash community?

Smashers can do a lot of self-sustaining on their own. Brawl did it. Melee did it. Why can't Smash 4?
Lol I already stated I'm also interested in smash 4. It looks good. In a different way, but very good! Also Brawl did not self-sustain, the scene is dead. And I'll say again if you guys want smash 4, have the community with a big enough voice to push it. And you still haven't answered my question if you even plan on going to evo or not. The viewer is of much less priority than the players paying to go. So are you attending?

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
So now u will ruin melee? lol Things are only ruined if u let get ruined.
Pretty much. The Melee scene took a pretty big blow after Brawl's release and was shunned and mocked by the traditional fighting game community for several years, but it continued to thrive because the game was so good that people chose to stick with it despite all the setbacks.

Brawl just wasn't a very good game from a tournament standpoint.

Xiao-Xiao

Smash Journeyman
Its annoying reading you people post blatant lies like "Melee community earned its spot in Evo", when the fact of the matter is Melee community alone was not the reason they got in evo. It was a complete effort by the entire smash community, Of course now that Melee is in the spotlight people go back to acting like its the only Smash game lol

Last edited:

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Its annoying reading you people post blatant lies like "Melee community earned its spot in Evo", when the fact of the matter is Melee community alone was not the reason they got in evo. It was a complete effort by the entire smash community, Of course now that Melee is in the spotlight people go back to acting like its the only Smash game lol
Getting into 2013 was an effort made by the whole community.

Getting back into 2014 was an effort made almost entirely by the Melee community, by making their voices heard about wanting to return to EVO, and then showing up in force with 970ish entrants after spending the year since EVO2013 keeping up the hype, the tournament levels, the growth provided by 2013 and the Documentary.

The best option here to get both games in is to vote Melee. If EVO was going to pick Smash 4 regardless due to their "new game" "rule", or especially if Nintendo's money is having a say in this conversation behind closed doors, then Smash 4 is sealed in no matter what.

If enough votes are for Melee though, and Nintendo is already pitching in for Smash 4, they will have to put Melee on the main stage too due to the sheer demand and likelihood of the tournament reaching the 1k+ entrants mark. This forces them inbetween a rock and a hard place, and the only solution is to accept both, or risk losing out on a bunch of entrants/money by choosing only one.

Macdaddy53156a

Smash Rookie
Well I'm not opposed to smash 4, but taking the risk of it in Evo 2015 over melee I don't like. It is a personal opinion. And I did reference the community several times when commenting. It is the smash community as a whole. But the most popular competitive iteration of smash should be put first. If another version like PM or Smash 4 grow in presence, than I know I will advocate for it.

Miharu

Smash Hero
honestly

when asked why the melee community wants its game at evo, there isn't anything needed to be said other than the fact that we enjoy playing the goddamn game more than we would smash 4 at this point. to everyone that supports smash 4, think about why melee players have been playing melee for the past 6-7 years and not brawl or pm. just think about it for a bit. and now think about what smash 4's gameplay is shaping up to be based on the japanese release and the US demo

melee players simply don't ENJOY playing something like brawl/smash4 (tentatively for smash 4 since much of it is still unknown but at first glance its closer to brawl than it is to melee), and that's why they've been playing melee. and thats why the communities feel so disjointed; even though they share the majorities of their casts and core concepts, there are quite a number of fundamental differences that make the various iterations of the games quite different from each other

HENCE melee players probably won't enjoy watching smash 4 at all if the play is similar to that of brawl's. not to justify the presumptions being made, but that perspective becomes much easier to understand if you put yourself in their shoes

i will say that i'd rather smash 4 be there than no smash at all, but i'm really pushing for the presence of both games on the main stage, until we receive word from evo/nintendo that there absolutely must only be 1 game from the smash series in the main event

also it really is pointless to compare the smash series to any other game(s) since this is quite the unique situation

Last edited:

wizards64

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
VGTA#364
What if Nintendo released Melee HD soon, then we can have the true "new game" at EVO and it will help Nintendo since people will buy Wii U's.

Last edited:

Keebler

Smash Cadet
Preferably both, but I'd prefer Melee If I could only choose one. I love smash 4, and I've been playing it obsessively, but Melee is still so much better.

Last edited:

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
It´s really possible that smash 4 gets picked, instead of melee. But a lot and i mean A LOT of people would get really angry, if that was the case.

My opinion is that i´m happy with either one.
But i would really like to see smash 4 at EVO because that will really help the meta game. BUT a lot of people would get angry.

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
The Sm4sh meta will not be very developed by the time EVO rolls around. Let's not make the same mistake we did with Brawl in 2008, or even with a game as recent as Injustice in 2013. Save Smash 4 for EVO 2016, when the game will be way more developed, and way more interesting to watch.

Darkyoshimoshi

Smash Rookie
Melee.
It's just obvious, smash 4 is cool and can be played in tournament but it does not have the same gameplay, melee gameplay, including stuff as wavedash and everything we know, and the speed of the game make it way more interesting to see in a tournament than smash 4. Personnal opinion.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Smash4 hasn't earned the spot. It shouldn't be allowed to skate into EVO on Melee's popularity just because it's new. What is with this entitled mentality?
This isn't new even with the popular games at evo. New version comes out? It gets replaced or booted to side tourney status.

Granted I think part of this is from the company's behind the fighters but still it's pretty much how evo has opperated.

Pikkususi

Smash Rookie
Melee for sure! Much more interesting as a competitive game than any other Smash. It would be nice to keep Melee in Evo regularly, year after year, it's probably the most awesome tournament of Melee in all the year, it's almost what the SuperBowl is to American Football, we just couldn't be so silly to not to support that this Melee tournament goes on!

vileguy

Smash Rookie
honestly

melee players simply don't ENJOY playing something like brawl/smash4
HENCE melee players probably won't enjoy watching smash 4 at all if the play is similar to that of brawl's. not to justify the presumptions being made, but that perspective becomes much easier to understand if you put yourself in their shoes
This doesn't really justify Melee being chosen over Smash 4. The Smash community is big and diverse. Some people play 1 game, some play more than 1. There are plenty of people who only play Brawl or PM but will watch Melee. There are also people who won't watch Melee. The biggest thing to remember is that Smash is a community and there are people outside of it, and both matter. If Melee is at Evo, plenty of people who prefer Smash 4 will watch it. The opposite is true, and in both cases there will be people who don't watch because they don't care about the game. The main difference is with people outside of the community, which include Nintendo, the fighting came community, and others. If Melee is on again, it's nothing new. People will watch it but it won't bring in any more people into the community than last year. If Smash 4 is there, it will probably generate hype and grow the community more. Justin Wong isn't likely going to compete in Melee, though he did enter in Smash 64 recently so it's possible, but there's a higher chance he might try to compete in Smash 4 cuz it's new. Smash 4 is almost guaranteed to have higher viewership than Melee with this being its first year, and the first Evo since it came out.

also it really is pointless to compare the smash series to any other game(s) since this is quite the unique situation
This isn't a unique situation at all. Street Fighter 2 remained relevant long after all three SF3 games and SF4 came out. Hell people still play it today, but I don't think it has near the numbers of Melee.

Erion

Smash Cadet
Melee.
I'm just not ready to settle with that much less (competitively) yet and I want Nintendo to know it.
All Smash 4 has going for it is that it's new. Its competitive appeal is still questionable.
It's obvious that there is a problem when we feel the need to convince each other of a game's competitive potential.

My two cents. Don't want to offend anyone. I like Smash 4.

EDIT: As for Evo's "new game rule," Melee is already a special case seeing as it wasn't the series' newest game when it was hosted. Regardless, they are asking for feedback. Melee with its community earned their spot at Evo, and this all more evidence of that.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I need to say this to everyone.

If you think that Smash 4 deserves a spot because it is new, then shut up and vote for Smash 4 because you're adding nothing to this conversation.

Melee is appealing to stream, better meta, more hype players and rivalries, near 1000 entrants, stuck around for 14 years, clawed its way into Evo and revitalized Smash. If you care about anything besides "it's new", now is the time to defend Smash 4. Let's hear something convincing for Smash 4 or simply pick Melee.
Being new is entirely valid for EVO, you need to stop pretending it's not.

The rule set, since it will be the WiiU and such not the 3DS, is where the bigger issue is since the date to finalize is around January? Pretty close dates for 2015.

Anyone Duck Hunt Dog will be OP or that it's Bawrl 2.0 really doesn't know what they are talking about abd bringing up bad arguments that hinder innovation and Fresh experiances.

I only voted melee because I do not think 2 months is enough time to figure out a stable rule set. If I was confident it would I'd vote for Smash 4, bit given the already differences, Japan is mostly playing on just FD stages while the U.S. Is going around a bit more to other stages. Figuring that out will be tricky, since we don't know the full extent of what people will play under.

Rybaia

Smash Journeyman
Just a couple of thoughts about this whole argument.
Sorry if my grammar etc. is not the best, english is not my main language.
I hope the point I'm trying to make are understandable enough.

It baffles me that this community was able to make Mr.Wizard create a thread on srk with a poll regarding wich game should be on the lineup of EVO 2015 due to the extreme amount of ******** showed on social media (that also forced that Melee It On Me podcast regarding the community general attitude). Are we really that childish?

We are such a powerful community that when united we where able to bring back Melee on the EVO lineup in 2013.
After that Melee proved itself to be a great competitive game and tbh I do think it doesn't absolutely need to be in the lineup of EVO in 2015 (it's not like the scene is going to die if we skip an tournament expecially since we have a pretty strong scene already), Smash 4 on the other hand may benefit more from it. It would be a big proving ground for the game and will help alot his potential growth. If the game isn't good enough or interesting it'll be dropped (look SFxT).
I would prefer to give Smash 4 a chance in 2015, since by the looks of it we can't have both (that's really unfortunate tbh) and watch how it goes.
I think there is enough time to develop rules and a decent portion of the meta by the time EVO comes up, so we could have an idea of what direction the game will take and how competitive will it be.
If Smash 4 proves to be a fun and competitive game that IMHO would help the Smash community more than have Melee again on that stage but I guess this isn't the main point here.
Tbh some of the Melee players look more concerned about destroying Smash 4 than help the community grow as a whole and this is extremely sad.
I find it funny that Melee is this "amazing competitive deep game" but every "elitist" right now fseems soo threatened by his "less competitive not soo deep counterpart".
If Melee doesn't get into EVO in 2015 it won't die trust me on this.

TLDR: As a Smasher I would like to give Smash 4 a chance this year since it may help more the community as a whole.

Last edited:

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
EVO shouln't risk their viewership and entrant numbers for the new game. This event is oriented to the hardcore scene and most of the players who play sm4sh are casuals who won't enter or watch the stream.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Yeah ^ Another issue is smash 4 isn't going to bring people from all over the country with the sheer force that melee does. All the kids advocating smash 4 probably aren't financially stable enough to travel for EVO, it was the same way with brawl. The melee community is older and can actually make it to these events

DroogieART

Smash Rookie
Melee, no question.

Melee, while admittedly being at the peak of its popularity, is still an older game. It needs big stages like Evo to showcase its talent, hype, and passion. Smash 4 will likely have multiple large-scale tournaments, especially with Nintendo's recent embrace of the competitive community. Being part of the roster is more valuable to Melee than it is to Smash 4.

Also, the only reason Smash 4 is even being considered for the Evo 2015 lineup (hell, the only reason it's even going to be a competitive game) is because of the legacy melee created for the Super Smash Bros franchise. I know this may not mean much, but can't we pay some respect to the game that started it all by giving it a spot at one of its most historical venues?

Lastly, melee embodies the spirit of Evo. No hate for smash 4, but melee has that certain hardcore, gritty, fervent quality that's characteristic of Evo's featured games.

So while it'd be cool to see both games in the lineup, if I had to choose one, it'd be melee all day.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
The Sm4sh meta will not be very developed by the time EVO rolls around. Let's not make the same mistake we did with Brawl in 2008, or even with a game as recent as Injustice in 2013. Save Smash 4 for EVO 2016, when the game will be way more developed, and way more interesting to watch.
This is a nonsense reason for Smash 4 not to be at EVO. The problem with Brawl in 2008 was that the tournament completely ignored the standardized rule sets and enabled items. No one's going to do that this time around. For that matter, almost every new fighting game goes into EVO with the lack of a 100% solidified meta, and part of EVO is to see that meta develop. It's just as exciting of a prospect to see a game without concrete expectations as there is to see one, partially because at that point it is anyone's game and this sets the stage for a bigger future going onward.

Personally as much as I like Melee I am far more interested in seeing a brand new game develop live and on stage. As much as people say "wait for the year after", I don't actually buy that being what's going to happen. People will still sing the same song and dance after people find it's not as "technical" as Melee, a lot of players will still want Melee over it and the entire community will still be playing a zero-sum game.

Melee had a good few years. Smash 4 deserves a good one now too. Plenty of vets and newcomers will sign up for it, and not just "kids". Fighting communities manage, they migrate and adapt, and still maintain a scene for individual games if they're dedicated enough while preparing for more games in the future. The Smash community needs to deal with that fact. Melee isn't going to die because it might not get represented next year over Smash 4, hell it'll probably get a side tournament. But for the large lead up involved Smash 4 is far more likely to set the main stage than Melee is and that's a great prospect for it moving onward, as it poses the potential for the Smash community to show that it can adapt with a far broader scene as well.

Whatever happens after next year is up in the air, but this one to me feels obvious. Especially so after the Invitational, Nintendo actually acknowledging the tournament scene and also doing a video for EVO. If they sponsor next year, it is not going to be for any other game than Smash 4. Hell, even if they don't sponsor, they won't want any game of theirs to take the main stage than Smash 4.

Last edited:

Qual_

Smash Apprentice
I don't have anything against smash 4, but seriously guys, it's a game to play on the bed, in transport, while pooping, DO YOU SERIOUSLY WANT TO SEE IT LIVE ? like watching a stream of smash 4 ? seriously ? ...

I like playing the game, but not that much if it's for the biggest fighting game tournament.

I want to see armada vs mango, PPMD, i just dont want to see slow, boring to watch ( but fun to play ) smash 4 games...

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
I will say this to start, "I personally would love to see Smash 4 at Evo." It's a new game, several people are more open minded, and it's not like it lacks potential. However, I will say I DO NOT want Smash 4 at Evo 2015. A few reasons: Melee is a game whose meta is at cusp of interesting changes even still and is guaranteed to have interesting matches and developments. Smash 4 is a game, we don't know how well it will turn out on that level of competitive play yet. The 2nd big reason is simply Smash games have jank in them. Infinites, crazy character specific op things, and just things you have to know they are there othewise you will beaten till realize what's going on (gimmicks). ALL SMASH GAMES require time to let the jank settle. We don't want an Evo that represents this new game with potential to end up being filled with gimmicks that people haven't learned yet. It will lead to finals of gimmicks and camping as the primary way to deal with them. No one wants that. Not even the most die hard of people tired of seeing Melee want that. For the sake of Melee which I think deserves a 3rd year, and for the sake of Smash 4 which I think deserves time to develop before being thrown to the lions, I want Melee NOT Smash 4 for Evo 2015. I would gladly like to see Smash 4 at Evo sometime; we can all move on from Melee if that is ever warranted (it might not, we don't know). But lets not throw Smash under a potential bus, just because a new game is out. Please. It's cautious thinking; perhaps overly cautious. What does it hurt to have Melee for a 3rd year versus Smash 4? Nothing. A 2016 Evo with Smash 4 would give the same boost and possibly be even hyper because people will actually know what they are doing. I am not saying to have Melee because I love it specifically or hate it specifically. I am saying that because I want Smash competitive play to be represented when its at its peak, not when its at its worst. A 3rd Melee and a later Smash 4 seems wiser in my eyes. What do I know? I am just an ameteur TO who looses money, uses his home for smashers, and tries to main the tougher characters to learn in all Smash games because I find a particular passion in their development (I am a Melee Yoshi main and a bunch of characters in PM). I am not a veteran; so maybe this whole opinion lacks the credibility needed but I say this as a person who values these games (Melee, PM, N64, Brawl, and Smash 4). I want them shown at their best.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I read all this and I wanna ****ing quit this community again. Or try to. If Smash 4 gets in, Melee players will riot and/or continue to slander the new game and we've got yet ANOTHER Melee/Brawl on our hands.

I'm SICK of this!

I said that I wouldn't let this get to me? But goddamn. What happened? The community as a WHOLE backed getting Smash back at EVO. It being Melee is fine and all since I play that game alongside Smash 4 and whatnot, but seriously. BAD VIBES.

Bad. ****ing. Vibes.

2Fox

Smash Rookie
It's as if no one's allow to speak a different opinion from yours

Who is Melee appealing to? Melee players? Smash 4 appeals to floods of gamers because floods of gamers having been hyping this game all y[ear, not just competitive players

It's as if being new means nothing. Being new would hugely expand the competitive Smash scene as a whole. Before CSGO, CS was dead. Look at how huge it is now. Lots of people said/say CS1.6 > CSS > CSGO. CSGO seems to be doing really well
Did you even read my ****ing post? I specifically asked for different opinions. I just asked for an ounce of thought to be behind those differing opinions.

Melee loyalists have made their own tournaments for a long time. Didn't you say that most Melee TOs wouldn't convert to hosting Smash 4 tournaments?

Melee is the only game to survive that long because Brawl sucked that hard. Keeping Melee alive was the only good way to keep Smash alive. Also, there were no other games for Smashers to easily transition to

Smash 4's insane vertical jump could be optimized. The boost benefits Smash as a whole better than the boost of Melee at EVO 2015

Doesn't Melee also have the problem of being 13 years old? Who cares about video games that are that old? Relatively to Smash 4, no one cares about Melee very much
You know absolutely nothing about Melee if you think no one cares about it. The goddam poll has Melee winning over Smash 4 RIGHT NOW. And on GameFAQS.com nearly a third of voters said they AREN'T INTERESTED IN BUYING the game, let alone playing it competitively/ wanting it at Evo.

Accelerator

Smash Apprentice
This isn't new even with the popular games at evo. New version comes out? It gets replaced or booted to side tourney status.

Granted I think part of this is from the company's behind the fighters but still it's pretty much how evo has opperated.
You're absolutely right. I think it's important to note, though, that Smash is probably the only game that has been featured in the main EVO line up who hasn't had solid support from it's developer.

For the other games, the new one is always shown because the developers had an interest in making it so, it was also where the money was for the players. Most of them have smooth transitions to the newer games because they understand that that's what all the tourneys will be hosting now.

Smash is the only one at EVO that has retained a massive following for a previous iteration of a game.

2Fox

Smash Rookie

You've said this so many times, been refuted by virtually everyone, and continue to spew nonsense with no logical or statistical backing (both of which people who disagree with you have used). The fact is, Sm4ash 4 getting Evo will mean many people will never ever play it out of spite. It is a crushing ripoff to the work Melee players (and people who supported the drive) to get into Evo, and the way Melee proved itself beautifully once it got there. Sm4sh will ride on Melee's coatails, be a disappointment, and leave everyone at best a little unhappy and at worst in a rage. It would be different if Sm4sh was supposed to be more hype than Melee, but it was made to be less competitive. SF games are made to be competitive.

Stop saying Sm4sh at Evo will be optimal for the community. Even I admit that the future is uncertain, but I at least consider the possibility that it could be a disaster, and therefore let's not risk a disaster. Thus far, your argument has been to return to the line that Sm4sh is new, which sucks as an argument, or to restate that it will be optimal and ignore everyone else.

2Fox

Smash Rookie
Also, people, stop using the tradition of new game replacing old as a reason to not include Melee. If you WANT Sm4sh then that's reasonable, but we are being asked what we want for a reason. They are giving us a chance to do something other than roll over and succumb to that tradition. Don't make excuses for TO's, don't rely on tradition, don't sympathize with Nintendo. Smash community has an incredible position right now. Tell them what you truly want.

If they pick Sm4sh for any reason other than "Smash community wanted it" (reasons such as Nintendo pressure, lack of CRTs, whatever), then there is nothing we can do. But don't let that be a reason to lose your individual voice.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
The fact is, Sm4ash 4 getting Evo will mean many people will never ever play it out of spite.
And whose fault is that?

Certainly not Smash 4 players for supporting a game they actually like or are willing to play.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I would love to see both, obviously, and personally I'd pick melee over Sm4sh, but I'm thinking it will more than likely be Sm4sh due to the possibility of Nintendo supporting it (they need to sell WiiU's) and the LCD issue.

That aside, anyone who dismisses common criticisms of Sm4sh as simply melee bigotry don't really understand what those criticisms mean. Stuff like the game speed, the DI system, the ledge system, the fact that people survive for much longer, and that it has tremendous focus on the neutral games are not "biased" opinions, that's just how the game boils down. These things won't change regardless of how many AT's are discovered, as they are core mechanics. Some people are fine with these things, but others aren't, and that doesn't make them worse for thinking that way.

2Fox

Smash Rookie
This is a nonsense reason for Smash 4 not to be at EVO. The problem with Brawl in 2008 was that the tournament completely ignored the standardized rule sets and enabled items. No one's going to do that this time around. For that matter, almost every new fighting game goes into EVO with the lack of a 100% solidified meta, and part of EVO is to see that meta develop. It's just as exciting of a prospect to see a game without concrete expectations as there is to see one, partially because at that point it is anyone's game and this sets the stage for a bigger future going onward.

Personally as much as I like Melee I am far more interested in seeing a brand new game develop live and on stage. As much as people say "wait for the year after", I don't actually buy that being what's going to happen. People will still sing the same song and dance after people find it's not as "technical" as Melee, a lot of players will still want Melee over it and the entire community will still be playing a zero-sum game.

Melee had a good few years. Smash 4 deserves a good one now too. Plenty of vets and newcomers will sign up for it, and not just "kids". Fighting communities manage, they migrate and adapt, and still maintain a scene for individual games if they're dedicated enough while preparing for more games in the future. The Smash community needs to deal with that fact. Melee isn't going to die because it might not get represented next year over Smash 4, hell it'll probably get a side tournament. But for the large lead up involved Smash 4 is far more likely to set the main stage than Melee is and that's a great prospect for it moving onward, as it poses the potential for the Smash community to show that it can adapt with a far broader scene as well.

Whatever happens after next year is up in the air, but this one to me feels obvious. Especially so after the Invitational, Nintendo actually acknowledging the tournament scene and also doing a video for EVO. If they sponsor next year, it is not going to be for any other game than Smash 4. Hell, even if they don't sponsor, they won't want any game of theirs to take the main stage than Smash 4.
We will still see some new meta for Melee at Evo, and the difference is it will be breathtaking. Sm4sh meta will be pretty basic, might see a gimmick, etc.

The fact that Melee is a better competitive game (beyond just being "technical") IS a freaking valid reason to prefer it over Smash 4. It's the biggest competitive fighting stage in the world.

Smash 4 does not deserve anything. Melee didn't "deserve" anything either; Melee fought hard to earn its spot. And it proved itself once it was on stage. Melee was at Evo because of huge support from players/community and it returned because it's a hella good competitive fighting game. Smash 4 hasn't done **** and it's not going to be as competitive.

Nintendo acknowledged the scene after nearly shutting it down, and its acknowledgement is pretty crappy (giving us an FD version of stages doesn't mean the mechanics are good for competitive play). Now, because the Smash community has built on its own a decent tourney community, Nintendo is jumping on the economic opportunity. Nintendo doesn't really give a **** about competitive Smash past the point where they can milk it for all its worth, which is sadly a point that is not very competitive. Plus, this isn't about what Nintendo wants. It's about what we want.

2Fox

Smash Rookie
And whose fault is that?

Certainly not Smash 4 players for supporting a game they actually like or are willing to play.
Certainly. I was addressing the point that Sm4sh being at Evo would be optimal for the community. Please read my posts ppl.

And if you're insinuating Melee players don't like and support their game, lulz. Been keeping it strong for 14 years. Currently destroying sm4sh 4 in the poll.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom