• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2013 Stream Cance--IS BACK

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
it doesnt matter what people say.

Evo wanted stream
Nintendo said no
The public spoke through social media saying they want a stream
Nintendo said yes
Evo gets a stream.
Anything else is speculation unless proven to be fact.

Case closed.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
lol, nah you don't get it. you're focusing on one point, and I'm not focusing on that point clearly. I'm focusing on the fact that nintendo CAN'T blame evo for bad press. It would make them look stupid if they did.

Look how well that worked for Xbox one when they tried to blame their failure on the press "mis-representing" them.

anyways this is all irrelevant we can stream now. Good news for all.

You just come off as some sort of EVO employee trying to boost their image to the little guy. Look dude we appreciate the opportunity here.

We're not saying "haha, ya we don't care about EVO, now run our tournaments"

We obviously care, so I don't know what the deal is.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Nintendo wouldn't make a public statement. Who would they even make it to and why? I'm not sure exactly what point you're making.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS you don't seem to get it so I'll keep it short and simple for you. Obviously EVO had to tell the Melee community about why they couldn't stream the Melee event. EVO didn't go to anyone else about what happened, other communities/individuals not directly affiliated with EVO did. Take your weird vendetta with EVO elsewhere please.

Are you dense? It's a compliment to EVO.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
It would be funny if they said they can only stream if they have items on. But I heard a story that when some random guy won MLG where they had items on, the community forced him to give the first place medal to I think Ken? Pretty sad if it's true.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Ugh those EVO announcers for Brawl kinda suck- even with Brawl being sped up to an actually decent paced thing with so many items they sound boring.
Still, Final smash x.x

Who's going to cast for Melee in 3 days? Someone from the mainstream melee community?

BarDulL

Town Vampire
The problem isn't someone "blaming EVO". It's the actual realization that EVO is a mouthpiece to an angry mob that, should they so desire, could be directed at whomever they choose.
100% certain this is not a compliment and I doubt any serious organization would ever want to be associated with this image anyway. The fact of the matter is that EVO can't be directly linked to being "the mouthpiece of an angry mob" and we both know it. Additionally, if you were the head of EVO, you would be forced to explain to the Melee community why there couldn't be a stream because you would want to maintain ties with the Smash community as well as your customer base. The fact that tons of people interpreted this information and began to hit Nintendo's customer service wasn't because EVO planned for people to react that way, it's because communities and individuals were genuinely upset about the predicament at hand. *facepalm*

BarDulL

Town Vampire
You wouldn't understand Overswarm, he's too smart for the Smash community. Melee tier list is inherently flawed because it isn't based on results and results don't lie.
If I didn't think you were being sarcastic I'd poop on you for this comment...

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
even Microsoft wouldn't pull this BS, see Halo/CoD at MLG
Random sid enote but microsoft doesn't own halo or cod. They're second and third party games respectively. Microsoft does however ever own very few games, such as Forza wich they have disallowed from being put on youtube without permission. They're the same, however they also own Killer Instinct, which is at evo and may signify a change of heart.

Anyways, GGs all, we did it. Any challenge, facebook poll, fundraiser, number of entrants, and even taking on Nintendo. Nothing will stop us.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
100% certain this is not a compliment and I doubt any serious organization would ever want to be associated with this image anyway.
...which was my point.

EVO publicly announcing prior to their event, rather than simply staying silent until immediately before the event like MLG, unleashed a horde of angry people who wanted change.

EVO didn't announce anything with Nintendo in mind, they announced it with the players in mind. I'd imagine they announced it for the players more than they even announced it for EVO. For MLG, it was MLG first. For EVO it was players first.

That is a good thing for the Smash community, and a response that is likeable by us.

This literally happened before for Brawl, except MLG knew about it much farther in advance, attempted to get permission, and didn't tell people until immediately before (like RIGHT before the event; people at the event were asking if their matches were going to be streamed). They acted professionally and in MLG's best interests.

To those of you who haven't entered "the real world" yet, a company is responsible for the repercussions of their actions. Playing dumb doesn't work at that level.

"Oh I didn't know there would be an angry mob" doesn't really fly. EVO was very polite in their announcement, both to Nintendo and the players, but their timing was not made with Nintendo in mind and anyone and everyone knows that the situation was going to turn into a whirlwind. The same community literally campaigned to raise tens of thousands of dollars to get a spot in EVO.

Now imagine you are any other company. Capcom, Namco, whoever.

If you were sending bad news to EVO, such as "no streaming allowed" or "we will not allow matches to be recorded in any way" or "we require you to pay $X in a licensing fee" or some other negative thing, you would now know that EVO is not against simply telling their fans.

Despite what you may think, this is incredibly rare. It is a good mark on EVO that they were willing to not only say "what gives" to Nintendo out loud, but to do so early and on our community's website directly. There wasn't a silent restructuring of the stream, no "we'll keep trying to convince Nintendo and tell them at the last minute if they don't budge", nothing like that.

The fact of the matter is that EVO can't be directly linked to being "the mouthpiece of an angry mob" and we both know it.
They literally are. You can't not see that. It just happened.

"Hey guys, NIntendo says we can't stream. Please don't try to sneak a stream. We're all disappointed about this."

angry mob appears

That's all it took.

Additionally, if you were the head of EVO, you would be forced to explain to the Melee community why there couldn't be a stream because you would want to maintain ties with the Smash community as well as your customer base.
Or what?

Seriously, or what?

You think if EVO came and EVO just announced day of at the venue "Sorry, cease and desist from Nintendo, can't stream" instead of announcing it on their main page several days before the event that people would just leave or not go back to EVO?

The fact that tons of people interpreted this information and began to hit Nintendo's customer service wasn't because EVO planned for people to react that way, it's because communities and individuals were genuinely upset about the predicament at hand. *facepalm*

Which they knew about because they were told days in advance.

I can't emphasize this enough. Being given a cease and desist letter by Nintendo and then publicly announcing it on your website and then directly to the community immediately after is not a common move.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
is Overswarm engaging in Nintendo Defense Force mode?

It would be funny if they said they can only stream if they have items on. But I heard a story that when some random guy won MLG where they had items on, the community forced him to give the first place medal to I think Ken? Pretty sad if it's true.
now this was a really ****ty thing to do

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Why does this lie pop up so often? Why does the story change every time it does?
You should change the title to "Evo 2013 Stream Canceled. UPDATE: No it hasn't"
They should Change it to "You Must Recover Part IV"

Do not forget what happened today, it wasn't JUST the Smash community that did this. It was EVERYBODY. The whole gaming community, the whole fighting game community; we're not separated from everybody else. We're together.

Never forget the outpour of so many people on Twitter supporting OUR community. If it wasn't for them, if it wasn't for everybody including us, this couldn't have been rectified.

This speaks volumes for the future of competitive Smash as a whole, not just Melee; ALL the games.
One Unit. All of us. Everyone.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
The false story/lie pops up alot because so many new gens dont know their smash history.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone have the EVO statement posted at their website about not being able to stream Melee? Please? Nevermind, it was here the whole time.

And nice posts, Overswarm. Exactly what I was looking for.
One question though, when MLG announced right before the event started that there would be no Smash stream, did that change the schedule?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Ugh those EVO announcers for Brawl kinda suck- even with Brawl being sped up to an actually decent paced thing with so many items they sound boring.
Still, Final smash x.x

Who's going to cast for Melee in 3 days? Someone from the mainstream melee community?

Prog (you better know who he is by now) and James Chen (pretty big SF/Marvel commentator). We're in good hands.

wizards64

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
VGTA#364
Wiimote controller, to my knowledge.

The Wii U pro controller is really nice to play on though. It worked fantastically for Ninja Gaiden 3. The button layout might be a little funky compared to what we're used to, but given the ability to switch controls it should work just fine. Makes short hop dairs a bit harder without clawing though if you're used to using the c-stick.
actually there is a gamecube adapter but I've heard that this results in input lag

wizards64

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
VGTA#364
there was no mlg with items on, but there was evo 2008 where brawl was played with items

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I'm way too hyped for this event. The amount of pizza, beer, and other terrible junk my body will consume during the 72 hour streaming party I'm going to be at this weekend will reach astronomical amounts. MY BODY IS READY.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Its funny how some people said that nintendo wont give a **** or anything and would ignore us

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I just dusted off this old account to say:

F**K YEAH, THE SMASH SCENE FIGHTS COPYRIGHTS AND DOESN'T AFRAID OF ANYBODY

*ahem*

Seriously though, good show. I am super hype to watch all the Melee matches at evo. Every single damn one, because the entire thing was nearly taken away from us.

TeSik

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know about the current schedule? It had been changed because of NoA as we know. But what now?

Everything back to normal.

strawhats

Smash Master
Holy ****! some real shots fired at nintendo for their bull****. Thank God for such an amazing community. We shall not be moved. Very happy to see the stream is back and everything has returned to normal scheduling wise.

P.S. manly tears would've been cried had this nightmare played out the way nintendo originally wanted it to.

Top Bottom