• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2013 Melee Info Dump! - FINAL DAY: TOP 8 STARTING AT NOON: http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1

Armada

Smash Lord
Also, even though Armada retired, its not like he put the controller down. Sure, his drive to improve stagnated, but he was definitely playing so its very unlikely he deviated far from the pinnacle of his skill. There really isn't any evidence he got worse.
Except for those friendlis at Beast with Mango I played Peach 3-4 matches during those 6 months (before the thread about Android and I possibly going) so nah I would not really call it me definitely playing.

Super cool to see everyone again though!
Will make some kind of big shoutout to tons of people tomorrow.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
All I heard are painful excuses. I'd say it's more of the fact Dr.PP and Mango were too good that they made him look ''bad'', doesn't mean in anyway he wasn't playing at his 100%. Idc what you say but dr pp was just too good that set, its no wonder that he won. Did you saw the first stock he did on Armada in the first fight? If so, you'd knew he was about to get ****ed, PP was completely on another level there.

Lol, ''that one tournament''...you mean the biggest melee tournament of all time and was twice as big than every other? You know the tournament that actually made people practicing seriously for once before a tournament? But of course you'd rather count some tournament where most ppl such as mango didnt give a **** about...Scorpion master, enough said.

PP is my favorite player and I'm a giant PP fanboy LOL of course I know he played amazing. However unlike you(who seems to like to do this with Mango), I'm not delusional enough to NOT see when other players AREN'T playing well.

And I say "that one tournament" because people act as if Armada losing Evo discredits ALL of his wins ever. Oh and in regards to Mango? I don't have to bring up Scorpion Master, he's lost to M2K more times recently than Armada EVER has(note that number is 0), and he lost to Armada at Apex 2012.

And if you want to take it EVEN FURTHER, the guy who is one of the ringleaders of Mango's crew, Lovage, even SAID on KoC2 stream that Armada proved he had ALL right to retire after Apex when he 4 stocked Mango in those BEAST3 friendlies.

So yes I will say "that one tournament". Are you now going to also consider Wobbles better than Armada or PP?

The Business

Smash Journeyman
PP is my favorite player and I'm a giant PP fanboy LOL of course I know he played amazing. However unlike you(who seems to like to do this with Mango), I'm not delusional enough to NOT see when other players AREN'T playing well.

And I say "that one tournament" because people act as if Armada losing Evo discredits ALL of his wins ever. Oh and in regards to Mango? I don't have to bring up Scorpion Master, he's lost to M2K more times recently than Armada EVER has(note that number is 0), and he lost to Armada at Apex 2012.
mango and m2k have played like 20 times in tournament

armada and m2k have played 3(4?) times in tournament

you are ********

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
1. stop playing characters other than sheik. yes jigglypuff is gay, but i think you can handle the rest. stop playing marth, and stop playing fox. they aren't doing you any favors, at least not in singles.
Not sure if referring to Jigglypuff's down b, or the cast other than Jigglypuff. Lol.

Seriously though, this is so true. Those secondaries are not helping. I used to always want M2K to pull out the Marth, but now I think Sheik is the best bet every time.

I'd like to here more about players thoughts after the tournament. I suppose Armada and Wobbles are both really retiring. That's pretty sad, especially seeing as Wobbles seems to really be peeking. The drop-off to the next best Peach and IC is pretty steep too (Bladewise and Fly Amanita?).

noobird

Smash Journeyman
just making sure... but you do know that the name of mr. lion is mufasa, not mustafa, right?

Britex

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone tell me when the ''one more year'' chant was going on during top 8? I don't remember hearing it.

EDIT: Ended up finding it; happened between the end of the last match and the award ceremony.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I really think that this tournament hurt a player like Hungrybox the most (no johns for anybody, everyone played their asses off) simply because I feel that Hbox does better than most players in a Bo5 rather than a Bo3. I am not sure why, but when it all comes down to it, all of these matches were grand finals caliber. Saying that anybody deserves johns is to just say that this tournament was not stacked. I was surprised with some of the results. My top 8 choices had Hax in place of Ice, but I also expected Mango/M2K to be grand finals. You know...I am not even disappointed either. Those sets were all hype and ridiculous. I feel like at that point, day 3, that anybody that Mango played was screwed, because at that level it is pvp.

Anyways, I have a sad theory. We want one more year. It would be awesome to get that year. EVO 2014 will be awesome with Melee involved. The problem is, if we make it back, won't we have less entrants? I mean, I have the feeling that most people that entered did so because it could have been a one-time thing, and even though Mr. Wizard wants it back, Nintendo may not. Many entrants came out of retirement right? I mean, Gimpyfish, Ken, Simna, Chris G, and some that hadn't played since '04. So my biggest question is: How can we keep a high number of entrants without relying on the smashers who came out of retirement? It seems like a steep task. We lost Wobbles, Armada, and Leffen. Mango is going to be a dad, so we never know about him. Ken didn't seem like he wanted to go at all, and went due to a loss from Scar. Since we want there to be a 2014, but we have no guarentee of being there, how do we keep the number higher than 500 even? It looks tough.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Someone should make an EVO combo video.
They don't do it in traditional FGs because they can do the same combos at home, but Smash's combos are different.

I would, but I'm leaving in two days, for a couple weeks. If you know somebody who's up to the task, go tell'em !

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I've passed this game by. It's a total waste of time to me. I can no longer justify it. I've learned what I needed to out of the game and now it is no longer stimulating. To stick around any longer would be solely out of fear of leaving it, of feeling like I was losing something, sentimentality that, in reality, was lost long ago, but only now realized.

In short: it's an addiction. Pressing buttons and doing the same things over and over. The metagame is stagnant, the game all but solved. Creativity in the game is dead.
So are you still going to scour youtube for my vids and mock my skill and call me fat or are you too enlightened for that now?

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Can someone give me suggestions on not choking XD

I am actually being very serious. I feel like my hands weren't working correctly on Sunday and I've never had this happen so badly that I can remember in my life. I am considering headphones or music or... idk.. I don't know lol. But i think I can win big tournaments like Evo if it was not for this happening and I don't know how to not make it happen.
I recently read a book called "The Art of Learning" by Josh Waitzkin (well-known chess player) which goes into the psychology of competition and ways to enhance focus. If it doesn't help you, then it will at least be a good read. But I agree with things that other people said. Meditating could help, but more importantly, find an activity in which you are truly focused and do it before the tournament, so that you start off in the right mindset. And as much as I love watching your Marth, your best character by far is your Sheik (personal opinion). So maybe improving solely on your Sheik would make you a better player

eg0r

Smash Rookie

I am actually being very serious. I feel like my hands weren't working correctly on Sunday and I've never had this happen so badly that I can remember in my life. I am considering headphones or music or... idk.. I don't know lol. But i think I can win big tournaments like Evo if it was not for this happening and I don't know how to not make it happen.
I have a conjecture as to why you choke during big tournaments. You don't know how to deal with losing properly. For instance, during that evo match against Armada you were doing quite well the first game and lost because of a simple mistake. You should have stayed shiek and tried again. I am not sure what went through your head that time, but in general I suspect that you become too flustered after a loss, and have a habit of changing characters.

So you might ask, why do the other top players not suffer from this problem as much you? Well I am sure some of them do. Perhaps some of them possess more mental fortitude (Armada, Dr. PP) or simply try not care as much (Mango). Regardless of the method, in order for a player to be on top consistently, it is necessary for them to have a method for dealing with loss. Ironically enough, I think your dominating ability at melee is part of the problem. When you are training with local players, how often do you actually lose? Could it be that you do not have enough practice losing? If so, then your ability to crush most players is actually a weakness. (Solution: Train with someone who beats you consistently, for example Hbox)

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman

If you work out at the gym, it will help with your emotional problems.

D1

Banned via Administration
Thanks for all your feedback guys, to be honest the only reason I go to events nowadays is to commentate. I may practice PM/Melee back at home with the NYC crew, but I mainly play more UMvC3 in tourney nowadays to be quite honest. If I'm not pleasing you guys then I'm not doing my job correctly. I will continue on that path to greatness, and I'll keep looking forward to you guys for feedback. The ones who don't learn can't take criticism, I for one welcome it.

Top Bottom