• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyone Underestimates Ike

Hostility

Smash Ace
Ike is a bad character, get over it. There's nothing being underestimated at all, nobody who does well in tournament plays ike in them.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Yeah, Ike might not be placing amazingly well in tourneys, but he's twenty times more fun to play than Meta-Knight. Sometimes we forget that we're supposed to be having fun, here.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Sure am, I know what a good character is. I main one, ike is not a good character, I would know, I used to main him and I got tired of losing cause my character is bad.
Remember Gimpy's Bowser in Melee? Its not the character that sucks. Its the person controlling the character.

Lloyd_

Smash Rookie
don't understimate a Ike... Ike is very powerful.... and the best... if you can use well....... all character are the more powerfuls.... if you can use all his techinques well..

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
The main problem with Ike is his moves are easily readable because he telegraphs them. There are only about two moves that actually whip out in a hurry (Jab and Bair) so as a result you have to be opportunistic to avoid having Ike's flaws being taken advantage of. The lack of aggressive options really leaves Ike vulnerable.

He is great in 4 player matches because it is easy to sucker punch someone with the FSmash.

CaCa

Smash Rookie
I don't think you can say "Ike is the worst character" or something in that way. Some people just can't handle him. They may need more training or just can't get used to Ike or any other character.

I love to play as Ike because he is a sort of sword version of Bowser :p.

§leepy God

Smash Master
For those who think Ike is weak, then they better prepare themselves, and they better look at that golden sword with they shield down and with 40% damage and make sure they look like they bow down to his holyness.

But for real, if a lot of people use his tilts more better, then he will be a force to be reconed with.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
The main problem with Ike is his moves are easily readable because he telegraphs them. There are only about two moves that actually whip out in a hurry (Jab and Bair) so as a result you have to be opportunistic to avoid having Ike's flaws being taken advantage of. The lack of aggressive options really leaves Ike vulnerable.

He is great in 4 player matches because it is easy to sucker punch someone with the FSmash.
Which is why Ike has to know how to read his opponent and attack where he is going. problem solved.. 'cept against Olimar...

XxcastxX

Smash Rookie
Ike is underestimated because people don't look at him the right way because most people are scrubs.

Look, Ike is pretty simple. You look at him, and he's slow and powerful. Most people see that and assume that they have to get in there and do there best to hit the opponent, because by golly, it only takes a few of them to end the other guy. If I throw out enough Fsmashes, they'll roll into it eventually!

Wrong. Ike is probably THE most defensive character in the game. Not in terms of ability to camp, but neccessity. Against good players you simply won't ever win with Ike unless you force them to enter YOUR domain and fight on Ikes terms.

Ike is great because his moves cover such a large radius around him, so you have to use that to your advantage. People rolling around you a bit? You have a ton of options. A downsmash as they start the roll can lead to fun, as can an upsmash. If you're feeling that the timing is wrong for those, well then you can sh nair or bair. Having a little trouble once they're close? Retreating fairs work wonders, and Ike has a VERY quick shield grab.

You have to abuse Ikes strength and the best way to do that is to force the enemy into making mistakes. A shield grab can lead to an up-b at lower percents for a quick 40 damage, and 40 damage is the beginning of kill range.

What I've found particularly is useful is charging Ike's Eruption and Up-Smash. Players that like to approach from the air will be watching a preloading dodges for the Upsmash, but If you have a sense of timing it's easy to unleash it RIGHT after and air dodge scoring a kill.

Eruption is great for when you're descending, and over eager players often will fall for eruption edge-guarding.

All in all, It takes a SMART player to use Ike, simple as that. And a smart Ike will keep to the middle of the stage to avoid possible gimps, and rely on mind-gaming the **** out of you to land hits. Indeed, a mind-gaming Ike will see the amount of times he hits go from little, to a ton, and score many victories against players that haven't been hit by Ike is so long that they forget that when Ike hits you, it HURTS.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Remember Gimpy's Bowser in Melee? Its not the character that sucks. Its the person controlling the character.
Boswer's not good, while Gimpy is good. Easy.

Ike is good at punishing, but he has no real means to make a smart player using a good character walk in to a fair. Kinda like Brawl Bowser, who has super studly OOS options and wonderful ways to dominate if the other guy approaches the wrong way (chaingrab to bowsercide), but has scarce means to make the other guy approach without getting himself shieldgrabbed all day.

I think every Ike main should try using Donkey Kong at least once. Not absolutely switch to him because TIERS MUST DICTATE YOUR ACTIONS AND PREFERENCES or anything, but he's built on the same principles as Ike yet is more trouble to deal with overall.

No disrespect Ike mains.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
@rehab, I already use DK... somewhat. There are some differences such as DK is much more bigger, weaker spikes, no disjointed hitboxes, less air range, DK punch, biggest ground range, and edge guards WAAAY differently. I found myself suiciding so much trying to edge guard like Ike only to realized i don't have a vertical recovery xD

Ike is more my playstyle, not DK. Besides, underrated for the win!

PCHU

Smash Lord
@rehab, I already use DK... somewhat. There are some differences such as DK is much more bigger, weaker spikes, no disjointed hitboxes, less air range, DK punch, biggest ground range, and edge guards WAAAY differently. I found myself suiciding so much trying to edge guard like Ike only to realized i don't have a vertical recovery xD

Ike is more my playstyle, not DK. Besides, underrated for the win!
I hate DK.
He's just too good for the ape he is >_>
Fsmash = Oh noez.
He gets me with it every time!

icedragon-

Smash Rookie
I've played too many good Ike players recently to say that he's a horrible character. When I hear the word "Ike" the words "bad recovery" and "slow" tend to come to my mind. Really good Ike players very well know how to work around these two cons and make them hardly noticeable. I never used to think of Ike as a godly character because his F-smash and QD attacks but I simply thought of him as average. Sure, Ike isn't an uber ownage character but he has some things to offer. His range is absolutely ludicrous. I can't remember how many f-airs, u-smashes and f-smashes I got hit by because I underestimated the range. His attacks are strong, both in knock back and damage. The only areas that I see where Ike suffers is his recovery and overall slowness (not just in movement but attacks as well). Look at Bowser's up B on the ground, DK's bair, DDD's bair, Bowser's fire breath, etc. These attacks are fairly quick and have lots of use and they can all be spammed safely (except fire breath, maybe). All I'm saying is that what Ike lacks in his move set is flexibility. He relies on his AAA combo to link to grabs and other attacks. I'm not saying he's a bad character, he just deserves a lot more. Ironically, in the Fire Emblem games, Ike's best stat was in the area of speed. Brawl contradicts that immensely.

When Brawl was first released, Ike was a whored out character. Everyone used to use him and most of those Ike players were sub par - terrible. Now, Ike cannot be taken as serious because how bad he was represented in the past. Hopefully more is to come as time passes. Through all seriousness, Ike deserves respect (even if just a little).

Wallehh

Smash Cadet
Ike is a really good character to use, I know one person in particular that is really good. But most people I meet that uses Ike, likes him because they think hes cool and plus because of his strength too. But there are good Ike players out there that hasn't really been discovered.

Top Bottom