• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyone Underestimates Ike

Dan_Fumaster

Smash Rookie
Defensive Ike's are really annoying (as someone has said before me). His range is enormous and retreating fairs just hurt. You see that you've missed and you see that he's going to smack you no matter what you do. It gets worse when the Ike player knows how to recover effectively and when you don't have the time to intercept QD. It seems that Ike's got a lot of potential with all of his aerials. He has the slow (up/down/nair), the fast (back), and the annoyingly super long-ranged (forward). The only bad parts really come down to speed and horizontal recovery.

When I play as Ike, I usually hit with 0 Fsmashes. Traditionally, if I do hit with them, it is when it least matters. Places with water are the most beautiful. I just dair them when the hit the water. Or if I'm in the water, catching them with Up B is also great. There's nothing they can do about it when they hit the water. As for doubles, I've seen Diddy+Ike work insanely awesomely.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Defensive Ike's are really annoying (as someone has said before me). His range is enormous and retreating fairs just hurt. You see that you've missed and you see that he's going to smack you no matter what you do. It gets worse when the Ike player knows how to recover effectively and when you don't have the time to intercept QD. It seems that Ike's got a lot of potential with all of his aerials. He has the slow (up/down/nair), the fast (back), and the annoyingly super long-ranged (forward). The only bad parts really come down to speed and horizontal recovery.

When I play as Ike, I usually hit with 0 Fsmashes. Traditionally, if I do hit with them, it is when it least matters. Places with water are the most beautiful. I just dair them when the hit the water. Or if I'm in the water, catching them with Up B is also great. There's nothing they can do about it when they hit the water. As for doubles, I've seen Diddy+Ike work insanely awesomely.
Do you main Marth? If so, you're one of the first to acknowledge Ike's strengths instead of passing him off as an easily gimpable slowpoke.

Dan_Fumaster

Smash Rookie
Do you main Marth? If so, you're one of the first to acknowledge Ike's strengths instead of passing him off as an easily gimpable slowpoke.
There are plenty of people who do not just pass Ike off as an "easily gimpable slowpoke". But as goes for all characters, someone has to be good enough to use Ike's strengths effectively. Smart people tend to get extra careful when watching their spacing against someone who hits as hard as Ike. Any big errors most likely spells death. Pro Ike's are exceptionally hard to edge guard vertically as they always sweetspot the ledge or do a reverse aether.

I do main Marth. I may not use Ike for competition, but he is heck of a lot of fun to use when I'm playing for fun. The nooby Fsmash (and awesomeness of Great Aether) is just so satisfying when it sends someone to their doom. And of course, I've had the privilege of playing very good Ike players.

Timbers

check me out
I agree. I was a bit disappointed when the "Ike vs. Lucario" thread popped up in our boards, and seeing a good percent of the other Lucarios talking about 70:30 and 80:20 advantages on Ike, lol.

It's still in Luc's favor I believe, but to such a degree is just belittling Ike.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I agree. I was a bit disappointed when the "Ike vs. Lucario" thread popped up in our boards, and seeing a good percent of the other Lucarios talking about 70:30 and 80:20 advantages on Ike, lol.

It's still in Luc's favor I believe, but to such a degree is just belittling Ike.
You're cool, Timbers. :bee:

I'm glad I made this thread... It let's me know that not EVERYONE out there views Ike as a joke... xD

M@v

Subarashii!
Ike isnt crap. Hes not amazing, but hes not horrible by any means. You just have to utilize his faster moves, such as bair, fair, utilt, dsmash, etc. A GOOD ike will never use side b to recover unless he absolutely has to.... just like how fox should NEVER use firefox unless he won't make it back otherwise. Aether is near impossible to edge guard, unless ike is going for the ledge, and you have invincibility frames on it when he uses aether. I have played other good ikes online, and he is tough in the right hands. Its like the same thing with DDD in a way. You dont spam DDD smashes, which are as strong as Ikes. Same story here.

and YES. Fsmash SUCKS. Its way too slow, and its like DDD and snakes Fsmashes. Its one of the moves you throw in to try and suprise the opponent, and get a quick KO. What I dont get is everyone knows not to spam snake's and DDD's fsmashes, yet they think it is all ike has...

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I'm pretty sure the Bowser boards take Ike somewhat seriously. I know that, as a Boozer main, I FEAR Ike. He's more of a monster than I am. You should see some of the fights between WarriorKnight and Renegade in the official video thread over there. It pretty much epitomises why we try not to underestimate him.

Dan_Fumaster

Smash Rookie
Ike isnt crap. Hes not amazing, but hes not horrible by any means. You just have to utilize his faster moves, such as bair, fair, utilt, dsmash, etc. A GOOD ike will never use side b to recover unless he absolutely has to.... just like how fox should NEVER use firefox unless he won't make it back otherwise. Aether is near impossible to edge guard, unless ike is going for the ledge, and you have invincibility frames on it when he uses aether. I have played other good ikes online, and he is tough in the right hands. Its like the same thing with DDD in a way. You dont spam DDD smashes, which are as strong as Ikes. Same story here.

and YES. Fsmash SUCKS. Its way too slow, and its like DDD and snakes Fsmashes. Its one of the moves you throw in to try and suprise the opponent, and get a quick KO. What I dont get is everyone knows not to spam snake's and DDD's fsmashes, yet they think it is all ike has...
Aether can be hard to edge guard, but it can still be very hard to get back on the stage with Ike afterward. And of course, Ike has to sweetspot the ledge or reverse Aether if he's fighting Marth, Peach, himself, etc, who have a counter or a prioritized projectile/explosive. After taking into consideration of who can interrupt Aether, it really isn't the greatest recovery move. I'd still much prefer Dolphin Slash or the really annoying Coin Jump that Mario has. However, Aether can be utilized to spike people in water and if reversed, which can help Ike. Water really helps Ike a lot. It allows him to spike with dair much easier or hit with any of his aerials.

Now then, if Aether acted like the Aether in Fire Emblem and healed Ike...well. Then it would be the best recovery move ever (pun definitely intended).

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
fsmash by any means does NOT suck. The pleasure of hitting someone at 50% with it is amazing and quickly turns the tide in your favor or even can bring the tide back into your favor. Ike's fsmash allows Ike to easily take a stock lead or come back a stock. You just need to KNOW HOW TO USE IT. It's a high risk high reward move.

Most of Ike's match ups are in the 40-60 range (in or against his advantage) Ike has really only a few bad match ups.

Now then, if Aether acted like the Aether in Fire Emblem and healed Ike...well. Then it would be the best recovery move ever (pun definitely intended).
I <3 this

•Col•

Smash Champion
I would still prefer that Ike had his projectile(Green wave slash thing with the Ragnell) from Path of Radiance rather than Counter... That alone would bump Ike quite a few slots up on the tier list....

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure the Bowser boards take Ike somewhat seriously. I know that, as a Boozer main, I FEAR Ike. He's more of a monster than I am. You should see some of the fights between WarriorKnight and Renegade in the official video thread over there. It pretty much epitomises why we try not to underestimate him.
It seems the Marth boards are particularly critical when it comes to Ike. There is a lot of rivalry between the two Fire Emblem characters, and I roll my eyes whenever someone has to say "Marth is much better than Ike!". Marth is much more suited to my playing style and many others judging by the tier list, but those that have refined Ike's game can definitely compete on that level as well.

M@v

Subarashii!
fsmash by any means does NOT suck. The pleasure of hitting someone at 50% with it is amazing and quickly turns the tide in your favor or even can bring the tide back into your favor. Ike's fsmash allows Ike to easily take a stock lead or come back a stock. You just need to KNOW HOW TO USE IT. It's a high risk high reward move.

Most of Ike's match ups are in the 40-60 range (in or against his advantage) Ike has really only a few bad match ups.

I <3 this
pleasurable, yes.

Practical, no.

M@v

Subarashii!
You wouldn't know. you should ask people who fight me/Kirk
Let me ask you this. Are DDD's and snake's Fsmashes practical? No. What makes Ike's any different? dont get me wrong throwing one in here and there can have very positive results.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Let me ask you this. Are DDD's and snake's Fsmashes practical? No. What makes Ike's any different?
His works.

Don't get me wrong though, it shouldn't be factored into match-ups and such, but saying it's not practical (meaning it's not worth using) is pretty silly considering the benefits of it hitting.

Remember, Ike's F-smash is the most feared F-smash in the community, and it's not even the strongest. ;)

Sondaro Sasuke

Smash Rookie
Ike is a very good caracter if you know how to use it. Any caracter can beat any caracter, if it's used correctly, the bad thing is that in most of the Ike videos before ssbb was out, Ike loses agains characters like mario, link, samus... that's why people underestimate him, but there are lots of Ike users that are really good.

I think that is a good character ;)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike is a very good caracter if you know how to use it. Any caracter can beat any caracter, if it's used correctly, the bad thing is that in most of the Ike videos before ssbb was out, Ike loses agains characters like mario, link, samus... that's why people underestimate him, but there are lots of Ike users that are really good.

I think that is a good character ;)
Mario is even.

Samus and Link...meh... small advantages don't bother me.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure Ike is trash.

Still fun though.
I'm pretty sure Xyro's just being a ****... :D

Lol.... I had a random thought they other day... What if Marth sucked in the next game? Like, REALLY sucked... What would the Marth mains do? xD

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol.

I would hope that my fellow Marth mains have enough sense to use a good character in tourney if Marth sucks in the next smash game.

I know I would.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'll use whoever, of course I'm using Ike and Pikachu! (If they take Ike out, they are truly killing smash brothers since there is no reason to take Ike out...)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
EL has come to our threads to insult us?!

At least we have a big-*** Sword and our main's gender isn't questioned. :laugh:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
hehe, I'm very technical and will find anything wrong :psycho: Hence why Ike's playstyle suits me. I prefer a good punishing game.

Top Bottom