• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Everyone look it's a new sticky!!! - Ness video critique thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Thanks guys, I tend to get a little crazy with the fairs XD. I'll try to work on OoS stuff and perfect shielding too.

Lol EagleI, I came for criticism. I really want to get better. I find mixing up ledge tactics really hard to do though...

Levitas

the moon
So, we have 2 video threads stickied atm, what do you guys think? just start posting critique vids in the other one and let this one die?

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
COMBINED!!!! (aka yes, do it.)

we should have some well-organized list of stuff concerning people's vids in that thread, like combo vids, informational vids, and matches (with pages in which the vid was commented on are listed below that vid).

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
You definitely read that wrong.

I said at 0% he can DI out after the second hit. On a different PK Fire used at 15% he can DI out after the first hit.

Anyway... PK Fire has its uses for sure. I wouldn't say I use it to a point where it's obvious, and I'm using it less and less now, and almost always pivoting it. Ally is just so good at reading people he makes you look stupid and predictable no matter who you are. I know I've said it twice before but against people who aren't Ally it's pretty good...I'm just preparing myself for when more Allys start to emerge :)
i thought you did very well the first match agains him on fd
it was impressive but i can see what uffe was saying about the PK fire being used,
you would have one i feel as if you didn't use that move, but maybe used it really when he least expected it
i know he's ally and he has mind games
but still
doesn't mean he's a god O_o

Uffe

Smash Hero
So, we have 2 video threads stickied atm, what do you guys think? just start posting critique vids in the other one and let this one die?
If possible, transfer the videos here over to the other topic. Perhaps have the regular video list and then a video list for criticism only. Something like this:

Offline:
</offlinevideoshere>

Online:
</onlinevideoshere>

Off/Online Advice/Criticism:
</off/onlineadvice/criticismhere>

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
yeAH!! transfer like that. Separate by person (alphabetically), then offline into pools, brackets/finals, MMs, and friendlies....

The criticism ones, you separate by person first, then as uffe suggested, except have a video's URL or something stating the video, then a Quote box containing all the quotes from people who gave advice.... the ones you are able to, have it so you it has the arrow thing going back to the original post....

Sync_

Smash Journeyman
My Ness really needs help. Here's a video that's about 10 months old, I probably haven't gotten better since them (if anything, I got worse), so please watch it and give me some advice. I won the match, but that still doesn't change the fact that my Ness needs help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la7-doOumwM&fmt=18
This isn't supposed to sound mean, it just faster to type it like this.

-You use Fair at awful times honestly. At the beginning, when you get juggled, its easier to see.

-Needs more Bair

-Needs more Nair

- Save Bthrow then you CAN kill. 100% at the least if you playing vs Mario(at FD).

All I got, but I only watched the first half. I have to go ):

mobilisq

Smash Ace
back throw is fun to use really rarely at low percents just because it likely wont be expected and puts your opponent at a reasonable height for a few b-airs

Arcade

Smash Ace
At low percents, yeah you could use it because it'll get fresh again by the time the opponent will be at kill percent. I wouldn't use it at 100 against a midweight though.

Adding to what Sync said...

If it was me I would have absorbed some of those fullhopped fireballs and then Magnet Cancel to dodge/counter Mario's followup.

Don't forget about nair out of shield, it's fast, does decent damage and takes the pressure off you.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Even though I didn't see it, needs more PSImag....

Probably will critique more later, but I'm on da bus...

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
awwwww....

not to be mean, but... those games were pretty bad.

1st: pretty good on first stock... until you fell right into his usmash.....
a couple of things I spotted....
--overall in the game, you seemed to want to charge in close a lot... that's exactly what an ike player wants you to do.... the jab is a quick, prioritized option that easily stops anything of a lot of players. You want him off the ground as much as possible when approaching... BUT!!! theres still the matter of bair, fair, and nair.... they are all really good at spacing and getting you out of the way... you want to have well placed pkfires and charge in with shield up... the safest of options IMO... FH Pkfire provides extremely safe options (if spaced so that the opponent needs to shield, spotdodge, or run away). Running in with shield can only be beaten by a well timed, well spaced grab, which is what you should be expecting.... so spotdodge accordingly. With Ike, you have to stay just out of jab range and wait for your opportunity to barge into his defenses. What you want to have happen is bombard him with attacks of somewhat longer range and force his approach (retreating fair, pkfire, retreating aerials... etc.). I can't describe fully my strategy for taking on ike players... because I'm also terrible at it.... but you have to watch out for all possible forms of his attacking. They mindgame you into going into their attacks really easily.

1:14 of the first game you could've ftilted for the kill...
don't always approach with an aerial. I'm not saying an aerial approach is bad... well I think it is bad... but you have several ground options that can do just as well (dashgrab, running in with a shield, mindgame into their attacking and dash in with something during when they are vulnerable, walking forward, and a couple of other things).
shield isn't a bad option. sure you can be grabbed and you can also have your shield broken, but it absorbs lots of punches... the only way in which you don't want to shield is a charged fsmash from ike. if you have your shield up there, he keeps charging until you take the bad option out.... you roll away though.... thats the safest option IMO apart from jumping and airdodging, which may be worse. shield is too good. you can easily jump out of it after being attacked and either approach properly or get yourself out of there and pkfire as you FH out. if you are afraid of shieldbreakings, just do the FH out and pkfire. regroup and force him to chase after you.
This is from my past experience: NEVER APPROACH WITH FAIR!!!! NEVER!!! the hitbox is shortened as you move forward and thus is much more difficult to get a proper hit with. if you do anything, go bair or nair. those are my favorite aerials. fair is only good if you have to get in a few percents or if someone is really close and stuck near you (like in the ending lag of something), then you can use fair. Fair isn't as spam-worthy as other people say it is. sure its good, but not THAT good. anyone can DI out of it.
You seemed to always be in the middle of doing something. you don't ALWAYS need to be doing an action. it is actually beneficial to wait sometimes. walking is also good (see EB360)

more to come...

2nd: too much approaching. delay your approach a little bit here and there to be a little less predictable (aka psimag, pkt downward when expecting something, go toward the ledge, etc.)
you seemed to bring down your shield at some of the worst times....
Don't roll towards your opponent. it almost never helps....
all the kills he got on you were mostly because you went right into something extremely predictable (IMO). try to adjust your gameplay when playing against an ike to be a lot less predictable and rather adapt to the common mindgames that the opponent uses. people are much more easy to read than everyone else thinks.... It's just sometimes it's impossible to go around what they are doing because of how solid it is. which is why you bait them into your own traps. take their traps and play off of them. if they are charging something, pkfire downwards at em. if they are walking away slowly, run backwards and pkt at them. if they continually shield, expect the grab and dash forward with a roll or spotdodge when getting into their grabrange... if you expect jabs, move forward and jump back when you are just out of range. sure there are a lot of different playstyles and other things to know the perfect way of countering, but it's not too much to remember. many characters revolve around similar concepts to others.

My criticism is meant to push you forward.

ALSO, USE PSI MAGNET A LOT MORE! IF YOU AREN'T USING IT A LOT, YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!! (jk, but seriously use it more... sure its ike, but it serves as a "hey look I'm using a pointless move! come charge right at me into an obvious trap" type of thing).

also, from now on, use the video thread and just say something along the lines of wanting criticism after you post it.

LEVITAS!!! WHY HAVEN'T YOU COMBINED THIS THREAD INTO THE OTHER VIDEO THREAD YET?!?!?! WTF!!!

Levitas

the moon
haha, I'm not one to edit other people's posts, but I'll pm meian to change his OP to broaden the scope of the other thread.

*closes thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom