• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

European summer tournaments 2010

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hi all!

Me and AJP were talking about the upcoming smash events in Sweden around summer 2010, and figured it would be a good idea to get all the european hosts together to discuss a possible schedule for all the planned tourneys. With big Swedish, Dutch, German, French, British, Portuguese (?) tournaments in the making, it would be a good idea to make sure these do not coincide.

Rather, if we gather a series of international tournaments and arrange them throughout the summer months, there's a possibility for people to attend all or many of the events. This would most likely attract US interest aswell, seeing how one could travel between countries and compete in many high class tournaments.

Now, I'm starting this thread to get a discussion going. What countries are planning to arrange large summer tourneys? When should they take place? How do we get people to travel and attend several of these, instead of them cannibalising on each other?

Basically, what I want is for tournament organisers to speak out about their plans, and for everyone to give their input on how best to organize this huge summer of smash!

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll start off and say the Swedish community is currently planning two major events, of which one will take place at Dreamhack Summer (worlds biggest LAN party) on June 19-22nd, the other being RoS5 (w00t!).

I'm looking forward to hearing more from the various TO's around Europe =)

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
We're also planning to host a pretty big tournament here in Spain in summer, we'll soon post details to make sure it doesn't coincide with other tournaments.

Kone

Smash Master
If there is a large spanish tournament I would def make sure there was a car full of brits there marcbri! especially if it was barcelona, love the city!

Anyway nice to see you about and pulling your weight chris :). I am potentially thinking of organising a large british tournament during the summer. I had hoped to do one last summer but living in the north east meant that attracting a large turnout would be unlike.y However, I will be moving to Birmingham by the summer (second largest city) which opens up so many possibilities. I will have start ed organising tournament details in january and will ensure I talk to everyone on this thread to avoid conflict.

London airports mean it should be pretty easy and affordable for anyone to make this between other major european tournaments.

porc

Smash Journeyman
Salepâte and I will organize the Super Lion 6 this summer. (SL5 will be february 21st, i'll make the thread soon).

Great idea Helios.

We should organize like a smash europe summer tour : a tournament a week, a big loop through europe lol. The Americans would love the idea i'm sure

EDIT : both SL5 and 6 are gonna be melee only.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Salepâte and I will organize the Super Lion 6 this summer. (SL5 will be february 21st, i'll make the thread soon).

Great idea Helios.

We should organize like a smash europe summer tour : a tournament a week, a big loop through europe lol. The Americans would love the idea i'm sure

like a smash circuit D: that would be pretty **** xD and yeah some americans may like the idea since the travel would be more worth of it.

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
It would also be nice if all the TOs say if it's a melee, brawl or both tourney. I think hat this is also a must to mention

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Since Sweden really doesn't have a Brawl community, and DreamHack is quite early in the summer, maybe that's where it should start (with Melee-only tournaments), and if there are any Brawl-only tournaments, put them in the end of the chain =)

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
We are planning to host a European tournament in the beginning of July. But there are two possibilities concerning this event, depending on how lucky we get with the venue:
  • Melee + Brawl, 1st-4th of July (2 days for each game)
  • Brawl (with Melee side-event), 2nd-4th of July

I will be posting a thread once this is cleared out. For now, we are not sure if we are flexible on our dates, but we'll soon know.

Samochan

Smash Master
I believe some tourneys should really be decentralized to fall and possibly winter, late spring being even better. Won't do us much good if people need to pick whether to go to 5 different tourneys in 2 months or pick 1. :p There'll be holidays and not like non-holidays ever got us a low amount of entrants.

Samochan

Smash Master
France's tournament will be Melee only =D
But france is so expensive... :< I'm a poor, poor student. ;_; Stupid Oulu for being so expensive to travel from. >.< I'll need to abuse -50% train rides, ryanair, and/or boat & car so I can afford any outside finland tourneys (heck, tourneys inside finland make a great bump in my wallet). Besides I need to get peki to travel with me, for once. <_<

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Beside the UK tourney, I'm likely going to be only allowed to go one tourney abroad this year. I want to go to the Berlin & Portuguese tournaments atm.... GET **** CONFIRMED GUYS!!!!

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
What would be interesting to know is what tourney represents which game(s). That would be very helpful to take better decisions.

Kone

Smash Master
The summer British tournament would be melee only I am afraid. In terms of accessibility there are so many airports to get to a british tournament in birmingham that it should be fairly unexpensive for most. However, when looking at a portuguese tournament I can't see that being the case? especially if not near lisbon or porto? (Shall check flights)

Samochan

Smash Master
How close birmingham is to London? Cause ryanair only flies to London standsted airport from finland.

Edit: ugh seems like around 300-400km via train/car.

Possibility of housing + car ride for finnish smashers from London? =D

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
The summer British tournament would be melee only I am afraid. In terms of accessibility there are so many airports to get to a british tournament in birmingham that it should be fairly unexpensive for most. However, when looking at a portuguese tournament I can't see that being the case? especially if not near lisbon or porto? (Shall check flights)
It will almost surely be in Lisbon. Easyjet has good prices for that, but I haven't checked that a lot yet. But I am not posting a thread until:
  • we get our TV sponsorship deal
  • we get our venue

And we should know very soon whether all this will work.

Kone

Smash Master
Samochan: In terms of airports you could fly into; any london, east midlands, birmingham, bristol, manchester & liverpool. Connections between these cities and birmingham are very good. I expect most people will fly into either birmingham or london stansted via ryanair. If you flew into london standsted you would get a coach from there to birmingham. This takes approx. 2.40-3 hours and costs £6 return. There are twenty coachs a day aswell. Though this sounds a pain in terms of travel after your flight I have never not had to do this to any swedish tournament (and it some cases i.e. last ROS it was longer!). I don't think people would see this as an issue though. Cheap flights + a cheap coach is still nice. I would offer anyone that needed housing pre/post tournament therefore definetly accomodating those that needed to take the london stansted + coach option. House will be large enough so no worries there!

King Funk: I would really like to make a portuguese tournament as I have never been. However, my girlfriend spent a summer in Badajoz (spain) last year teaching. I remember trying so many different ways of getting to Badajoz cheaply and one of the options was to fly into lisbon. I couldn't find cheap tickets though and looking at easyjet prices from london at the moment it is about £65-80 return which isn't looking good :/. I think easyjet maybe to much for a lot of people, does ryanair fly anywhere near?

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
Great to see some interest in this topic, although I'm still waiting for some Dutch TO input ;)

I like the idea of having the start of the summer focus more on Melee tournaments, then ending with Brawl tourneys, thus allowing American Melee players for instance the opportunity to attend 3-4 sequential events, whereas players who prefer Brawl can attend several events at the end of summer.

Or perhaps it's better to mix it up, allowing people some time in between major events. I'm not sure what's better. Any idea?

Kone

Smash Master
I don't think we will have the freedon to be picky chris. The ability for TOs to be selective over when they host isn't great and I think we should just direct our attention to ensure that all large tournies do not clash!

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
I approve of this idea!

From the Dutch site, this is what the Dutch are planning to do:

* Date: Between 17 juli 2010 and 22 august 2010
* Duration: 2, 3 or possibly 4 days
* Expected #participants: 200+
* Games: Melee, Brawl

There will be several hosts like Utto, Marc, probably Prince Shadow and Exalador, and several co-hosts.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Dayum Birmingham Melee only tourney would be EPIC WIN. It's close and I could probably get housing at Rakes if no sleeping at venue. =]]]]]

I wanna go Holland so bad. Holland or Portugal....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Utto

Commander Keen
BRoomer
The Dutch tournament this summer has no date or venue yet (the Alliance venue is too expensive). We did pretty much narrow down the period in which it should take place, which is now from august 9th to august 22nd. I'm not sure about the scope of the tournament either. It says 200 players or more, but in hindsight I think that is, especially with the murdering competition this summer, too optimistic. Biggest problem is that I'm the primary host for this event and that I do not feel like running a huge finanical risk with an expensive venue (and most venues in The Netherlands are expensive, and also hard to find if you want people to spend the night there). Other Dutchies are not that keen on carrying the burden with me I think, and I don't blame them.

I'll be looking into some possible venues shortly, but Alliance is my main focus right now, so I'm not committing to anything yet. There will definitely be an event of some sort in The Netherlands because we have to cover the costs of storing the televisions we bought (not that much, but not something I'd like to pay out of my own pocket either), but that's all I can say for now.

I'm not excluding the possibility that we can only host a tournament for one game. Seeing as most other countries are hosting Melee events, I would in that case consider hosting a (and I'm going to get lynched for this by the Dutch Melee players) Brawl only event. Even though I am a Melee player myself and have no affinity with Brawl whatsoever, the Dutch Brawl community is pretty healthy and the community is my main concern. But again, no guarantees.

And Helios, it's good to see that you and the Swedish community in general are active again. :)

Achoral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Achoral
My roommate (the most active pokemon TO in France) started being interested in hosting Brawl tournaments recently, and our trip to Geneva Brawl Garden motivated him even more to host tournaments.

He told me that he wants to host a big 4days long European-sized Melee/Brawl tournament in Paris this summer, with me.

That said, it's just a project for now, we're currently busy enough with the bi-monthlies we're planning to do...^^;

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Alright, updates on our potential tournament. We are trying to find out how much the venue will cost in terms of security, and we're also trying to find potential backup venues should these expenses be too high. From now on until January, we'll be working on sponsorship deals with all kinds of companies to see if they can help us out in paying the venue in exchange of advertising. Hopefully some of them will work out well, and will allow us to proceed in our event. But we won't give out more details before end of January, beginning of February, where we will confirm the tournament. There is one important thing I'd like to note though. Our tournament is more and more likely of being Brawl centered because:
  • renting the venue might really cost us way too much for us to do a 4-day event
  • we will probably be one of the only tournaments out there focused on Brawl, with nice prizes up for grabs ; and for that reason our event won't interfere much with the other ones in the European smash circuit (which are mostly Melee).

Last thing. We are thinking of doing our event any time in July after the 11th. Because until then, the FIFA World Cup will be played, which might jeopardize our TV sponsorship deal massively (everything will be rented out already).

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
It's nice to see that there is still lots of interest in smash these days, having been inactive for like a year now ...

I would very much like to go to a tourney in Sweden again, the last time I was there I had a really good time(even though a lot of people do not agree with me on that[RoS4]). Keeping that in mind, I think it won't be that hard to make RoS5 kick alot more *** than RoS4 don't ya think helios? =)

Yeniths

East Midlands!
UK tourney in Birmingham seems like a great idea...both of the GGTs worked really well, and with a better, prehaps 24 hour venue it would be great... Pretty much if anyone arrived at any airport in the UK I'm sure someone would be able to get them and offer housing. Of course I'll attend of offer help if anyone happens to arrive in East Midlands.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Yeah I could house international peeps if there was a tourney in Birmingham LETS DO THIS UK!!!!!!!!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
wow, somethnig in england? i didnt know such things existed XD
well its good to see this happening, though i think peopl would aprreciate a brawl tournament more, because of general popularity.
i am a host, yet i wouldnt be doing anything big, itd be like basement tourneys XD

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Golden-psyco, the UK smash community is pretty big. Where do you live? Theres usually 3 tourneys/fests every month in the 3 different regions of the UK, being London, East Midlands (I host them) and North West (although NW has been dead for a few months). The next London monthly will be on the 30th January, here's a link to the thread; http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232906

Also, the majority of the UK prefer Melee, not Brawl.

Add me on msn dude; willzeh@hotmail.com

Greward

Smash Lord
there should be at least one big european brawl tourney for summer. it should be done on france since its where the better players live nowadays. and its on the center of europe :3

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
there should be at least one big european brawl tourney for summer. it should be done on france since its where the better players live nowadays. and its on the center of europe :3
Well, our event in Portugal in July will most likely be Brawl-centered, because the venue we're gonna try and rent out will probably be very expensive. And also, that way, we can attract the Brawl scene exclusively since there are already many Melee or Brawl+Melee tournaments. :chuckle:

Infernum

Smash Apprentice
Instead of hosting various tournaments all around Europe, it would be better to host a hella big one. Some players hardly go to touneys outside their countries because of money, so a trip around Europe (let's say train/plane + food + entry fee + hotel if no housing is possible and ... cleaning stuff) wouldn't be really possible for them to do.

A really big tournament can also attract Americans (+ Mexicans and others). Any country in Europe could host it.
England because it's easier to go there (any plane from anywhere goes to London).
France because it attracts people (Eiffel Tower and random stuff).
Sweden because it's Armada's country (Americans would like it).
Holland because it's the best country in Europe as regards ssbm (Americans would like also).
any of these, would be great.

Top Bottom