• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

European summer tournaments 2010

Samochan

Smash Master
Just because of accessibility reasons (and cause we've yet to have a big international tourney there), UK would be the best option. And London attracts visitors too, france would just create many problems in language while UK speaks english, so would be like yauhz to american smashers. :p

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
London has an awful housing problem (only 3 smashers can house) so I think hosting a large scale Euro tourney is out of question for now...

porc

Smash Journeyman
Going to the hotel for two nights isn't really a problem, especially if it's full with hundreds of smashers ;)

Kone

Smash Master
Can we have some updates on the state of european tournaments this summer? (melee)

Sweden - helios you doing anything?
Spain - what happened to that proprosed tournament ? the brits would like it.
Germany - Anything planned after Berlin?
France - ?
Holland - Any luck with venue?

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
Currently talking with Aniolas about hosting an event, possibly RoS5, in mid-July. Hopefully that would work well with regard to other tourneys.

Kone

Smash Master
Good to know chris. I have got a venue booked for August 11th-13th in Birmingham, UK (for those unaware it is the second largest city in the UK and central. Therefore, it is accessible via ten airports incl.londons) and am wanting to make it the first large european tournament in the UK. There is a thread up about it though it isnt very detailed atm. A lot more information will be posted this weekend.

Soooo a mid-july tournament would work well i guess? if yours and mine were the two major european tournaments of the summer.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
France may have ESA4 in late june. Neither the tournament nor the date is confirmed.
We'll also have a TSL during Summer, though I don't know when porc and Salepâte will host it.
I'll keep you updated ASAP about that.

Anyway, this UK tournament looks very interesting, however, those who'll go to Apex 2 may not be back from the US at this date. That would be a minority, though.
RoS5 looks very interesting too. I heard many good things about the SVar series and I wanted to visit Sweden for a long time, so I'll try to be there.

Utto

Commander Keen
BRoomer
We've been in touch with a venue close to the ZEST venue, but it's not that big. It can fit about a hundred people at most, and fifty people can spend the night there (people will have to bring their own airbeds/sleeping bags etc, and the venue has showers). For the date we were aiming at something like August 13th/14th, but now that you (Kone) have booked a venue for 11-13 that will probably change. Problem is that the venue is only available from July 31st to August 14th. Or I might go for Brawl only, since the tournaments in the UK and Sweden seem to focus on Melee (although I have no idea what kind of foreign attendance to expect in that case). In any case, we still have to sort things out with the venue, so I can't confirm anything yet.

Anyway, your tournament is looking good Kone. We'll do everything we can not to get in its way. By the way, that 10 pound fee for the night is pretty cheap considering you get a bed. European smashers are spoiled when it comes to this; we always expect free housing, even though this is very uncommon for almost any kind of event ever.

Tero.

Smash Champion
We're planning a mid-sized Melee tournament on the last july/first august weekend.
Probably about the size of Smash Royale, maybe a little bit smaller.

There is also a summer tournament in Hamburg, but no confirmed dates yet.

This summer is seriously looking mad good for Melee and Smash in general.

AmcD

Smash Ace
Wouldn't it make sense to limit the tournaments and rotate them?
From what I'm reading it looks like there could be 4-5 tournaments over the summer and possibility of clashing!

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
London has an awful housing problem (only 3 smashers can house) so I think hosting a large scale Euro tourney is out of question for now...
We could try to look for a venue that will give a deal for overnight housing, it's more likely than a bunch of Londoners stepping up to house anyway.

Kone

Smash Master
Alex - dont understand your above post? it is out of sync with current conversation.

Utto/Slhoka/everyone else - I think we need to think carefully about european tournament dates. If there were to be mine, ros5, tsl, esa, and a dutch toureny within three months (and apex) we are going to seriously hurt each others turnout. Theres no way all tournaments could aim to be european tournaments...just wont happen. People cant afford to make that many.

Also, i thought tsl was in feb? and couldnt someone take the winter tourney slot?

Anyway, I have the venue booked. At the moment though my capacity has been capped at 80 :s however, im in negotiations to increase it :)

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
That was just to Will ed, I don't think it has relevance to your current discussion though. ;) I mainly said it because Charles did mention he wanted to host something in Winter.

Kone

Smash Master
Haha dont worry samo :). I dont really understand why they gave me a capacity of 80 (i think the person i spoke to was new and just guessed). Their website says that their large lounge/sitting room accomodates 60 and their small sitting room accomodates 40. Thats without including their gym hall, 2 x dinning rooms, bed rooms, games room, 2 x kitchens and common room >_>. Soooo it doesnt make much sense. I am going down to visit the venue (the venue is in birmingham and atm i live far away. Move nearby in march) in a week and a half. Will sort out capacity properly then.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Utto/Slhoka/everyone else - I think we need to think carefully about european tournament dates. If there were to be mine, ros5, tsl, esa, and a dutch toureny within three months (and apex) we are going to seriously hurt each others turnout. Theres no way all tournaments could aim to be european tournaments...just wont happen. People cant afford to make that many.

Also, i thought tsl was in feb? and couldnt someone take the winter tourney slot?
Indeed, we need to spend some time planning all of these.
If the Dutch tournament was Brawl only, it would help, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to push them to do that, as I wouldn't want to be forced to host a Brawl event.

As for TSL5, it will take place in three weeks. But TSL happens more than once a year, and for the last two year it has been the main summer tournament in France. That's why TSL6 is likely to happen this summer (but I'm not the main host so I wouldn't want to say too much about that).
As for ESA4, I can't say much either. I don't have ANY control regarding the date of the event. The only thing I could do was to ask what would be the best date for each countries' community. If it actually takes place, I don't know when it will be announced =/

I will try to have a talk with the hosts of those events to stress the importance of planning these events according to the other tournaments.

Oh, and about tournament capacity. ESA would be 192 but I doubt we could reach it, the reputation of the ESA series was stained too much since the Epitagate :(. And TSL would be at least 96.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
I am in discussion with the largest LAN party organizer in the world, Dreamhack. In November, we held a 50 man SSBM tourney during their event, and the idea of arranging a large, international tournament during their big summer event strikes me as very promising.

How would a mid-June date (19-22nd) work for the European countries?

Here's hoping school semesters won't interfere...

Kone

Smash Master
UK school dates run until mid-July. There is a school week off first week of june. The dates you are proposing probably wont work for those at school. For those at Uni it will depend on whether they have essays and exams and whether they care or not about missing University. Either way, I dont think you will get a very large UK turnout. Especially if ESA happened mid-June as Paris is easy, close and cheap to get to for us.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's good to know. So it seems mid-July would be the best option for a major Swedish tournament.
I'll be looking into more exact dates in the coming weeks.

ivootjes(nr18)

Smash Lord
Jeez, a lot of plans. I'll try to get abroad to one tournament. An eurotrip sounds cool, but is way too expensive, and i don't want to play freaking smash all summer. I think most people would agree with me on this.

The English tournament sounds like fun, but 80 people is not that much.

I don't think i would make another trip to sweden (i've been there before, it's expensive, swedish nightlife doesn't exist) But if RoS5 turns out to be huge i would probably still go, as RoX4 was a lot of fun.

Oh, and smashnl (the dutch site) bought 25 tv's. But i don't know if anything is happening right now. There's probably no good venue yet.

france is always good btw, a typical holiday country imo.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Jeez, a lot of plans. I'll try to get abroad to one tournament. An eurotrip sounds cool, but is way too expensive, and i don't want to play freaking smash all summer. I think most people would agree with me on this.
If they are close enough you could probably get to a few relatively cheap with interrail. :)

Edit: Actually taking a look at it, it seems you don't have to travel within a certain period of time if you pay for 15 travelling days or more. The danish price for such 15 travelling days is 285,43 euros (without seats which you have to pay for and it's only 50% off in your own country).

Kone

Smash Master
Ivo & others interested - The British tournament happening in Birmingham is confirmed for August 10th-12th. PLEASE will other european tournament hosts heed these dates as they are BOOKED and I will be promoting this as the UK's first large european tournament.

I will have a proper thread up at the back end of this week. The venue is large (2 x kitchens, 2 x dinning rooms, games room (3 x pool tables), gym hall, bedrooms, 3 x lounges, shower blocks (male& female) and toilets). The 80 person limit is to do with housing at the venue. It is how many beds there are. I am meeting the owners next week to attempt to persuade them to allow us to use the lounges as sleeping space. If not, I have the garden available. I may rent a marquee (with carpetting) for extra housing and if all else fails my house will be half an hour away. Either way, we CAN have a larger turnout.

For those unaware Birmingham is the second largest city in the UK. There is a lot to do there and cheap travel to anywhere in the UK :)

ps I own 10 tvs. Charles owns 20 tvs. So the tournament will have 30 without adding on others from members of the community and my friends & family.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Ivo & others interested - The British tournament happening in Birmingham is confirmed for August 10th-12th. PLEASE will other european tournament hosts heed these dates as they are BOOKED and I will be promoting this as the UK's first large european tournament.

I will have a proper thread up at the back end of this week. The venue is large (2 x kitchens, 2 x dinning rooms, games room (3 x pool tables), gym hall, bedrooms, 3 x lounges, shower blocks (male& female) and toilets). The 80 person limit is to do with housing at the venue. It is how many beds there are. I am meeting the owners next week to attempt to persuade them to allow us to use the lounges as sleeping space. If not, I have the garden available. I may rent a marquee (with carpetting) for extra housing and if all else fails my house will be half an hour away. Either way, we CAN have a larger turnout.

For those unaware Birmingham is the second largest city in the UK. There is a lot to do there and cheap travel to anywhere in the UK :)

ps I own 10 tvs. Charles owns 20 tvs. So the tournament will have 30 without adding on others from members of the community and my friends & family.
Holy ****, this is looking MAD CUTE.

Slhoka

Smash Lord

This looks extremely interesting.
I will post a notice on the french boards to make sure we don't host a tournament at the same date ;)

Kone

Smash Master
Thankyou Slhoka. Once I have made a proper thread I wil also post the tournament information on other boards. I am aiming for a huge turnout. Birmingham is central in the UK and as it is such a large city it has very good/cheap transport links with other major cities.

Airport wise Birmingham is 30 mins from the venue (ryanair flies). East Midlands airport is 50 mins from the venue (ryanair flies). There is then; london stansted, london gatwick, london luton, bristol, liverpool, manchester, doncaster and leeds all within three hours. Sooooo, once ryanair put their cheap no tax sale up for the summer holidays there should be no way that people cant make it ^_^

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
I can hopefully supply a TV or two and should have 3 set ups as well Kone considering Birmingham is only a short drive from Leicester. This is gonna be raaaaape!

Hopefully I will be able to house some people before/after the tourney as well if my parents let me!

Also what do you think the entrants limit will be if you can use the lounge for sleeping in?

Kone

Smash Master
Willz - The tvs would of course be greatly appreciated. As soon as I have got a thread up I will start listing those who can brint tvs, setups etc. In regards to the entry fee for those that are sleeping in the lounges I am not sure atm. I will have to wait until I speak to the owners. Obviously, I am hoping they say yes and would expect it would be cheaper than the beds :)

Top Bottom