• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[European Ruleset] #4 : Rainbow Cruise

Rainbow Cruise: counterpick or banned?

• Counterpick

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Banned

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Utto

Commander Keen
BRoomer
#3: Rainbow Cruise

Again, the question is simple: should Rainbow Cruise be a counterpick stage or a banned stage? Instructions:

1. Vote only if you are sure of your vote.
2. Try to explain your vote as clearly as possible in this thread.

This one caused quite a stir on the Dutch Smash Bros website, so I'm curious to see the result of the poll.

Poll will remain open for two weeks.

P.S. See the explanation in the third poll thread if you're confused about me making this poll. ;)

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
banned, pick MK or lose

( ofc there are some more chars that can win here, but its just not a fair stage for a lot of the cast)

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
I have no idea why people think this should be CP. This will make the game even more unbalanced than it already is. It basically forces anyone who plays a ground based character to choose Meta Knight or lose. These ground based characters have no CP of this calibre. This definitely doesn't fit into the game and should be banned. I won't discuss the moving platforms, ridiculously low ceiling and the easy kills because I think this should be enough to convince anyone who has experience on this stage.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Not sure, I´ve yet to see someone often beating MK on this stage, and double MK in teams on it is extreeeeeeeeemly recomended when the opponents counterpicks it in teams. I know though that G&Ws uair on the stage is threatening against MK atleast...

TreK

Is "that guy"
I have no idea why people think this should be CP. This will make the game even more unbalanced than it already is. It basically forces anyone who plays a ground based character to choose Meta Knight or lose. These ground based characters have no CP of this calibre. This definitely doesn't fit into the game and should be banned. I won't discuss the moving platforms, ridiculously low ceiling and the easy kills because I think this should be enough to convince anyone who has experience on this stage.
I main Diddy and often CP RC
Am I doing it wrong ? :V

K@0S

Smash Ace
Those two arguments don't fit well together since this is what balances the stage against MK.

And actually your first statement is wrong.

"These ground based characters have no CP of this calibre"

FD ? You can't really make a more ground-based stage.

I understand this stage is kind of borderline (even though I've always seen it as a CP). However pointing out that it avantages MK isn't a valid argument to me, considering some other characters are also very good on RC, and a lot of those we first thought were bad on it are actually not that bad at all.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
The problem with allowing both stage bans and RC is that ground based characters won't have a CP when MK among others always will. And like I said, ground based characters do not have a CP of this calibre (stage bans).

In theory a low ceiling and MK don't go well together, but this combined with a moving stage and everything else I mentioned it's unfair for a big part of the cast to have such a CP allowed.

K@0S

Smash Ace
Ground based characters don't only have FD as a CP neither.

And yes, a moving stage etc. is unfair, as should be a CP. However it's not unfair to the point it should be banned to me, since it's an auto-loss for (almost) no character. A lot of characters including the ground based ones are way better than we first thought (Snake, Diddy to give examples among the top tiers; of course it's still a bad stage for them, but it's way better than it first seemed), and some are as advantaged or almost as advantaged as MK (I played G&W for a while, and I know how RC is also very good with him).

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Ground based characters don't only have FD as a CP neither.

And yes, a moving stage etc. is unfair, as should be a CP. However it's not unfair to the point it should be banned to me, since it's an auto-loss for (almost) no character. A lot of characters including the ground based ones are way better than we first thought (Snake, Diddy to give examples among the top tiers; of course it's still a bad stage for them, but it's way better than it first seemed), and some are as advantaged or almost as advantaged as MK (I played G&W for a while, and I know how RC is also very good with him).
That's rubbish. Ground based characters don't have such a radical counter pick. As a matter of fact, they have no counter pick other than FD.

And NO counter pick for ground based characters is as radical as Rainbow Cruise.

Greward

Smash Lord
Hello i'm MK gg kthxbye

wario is good here too. gaw just sucks against MK so its not viable. i think this stage should be banned, aerial based characters already has brinstar as a "free win" stage.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Well, even if people will always ban Rainbow Cruise in sets, MK mains still have Delfino, Brinstar, Frigate, Battlefield and many other stages at their disposal. That's a really terrible problem, in my honest opinion.

BRnaT

Smash Rookie
I think it is an "unbalancing" stage. I think there are characters that can do absolutly nothing here vs MK. The fact is that, having delfino, you have to ban either delfino or RC, and Mk will always have too many stage.

I love RC, but in my oppinion, its too unbalancing. Moving, low ceilling, no edges por chars like ZSS to recover and things like that.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I´ll think because Rainbow have to be banned. Is similar to Jungle Japes, is autowin.
For me, if Rainbow Cruise was banned, I'd have no problem with Jungle Japes being banned. But if Rainbow was allowed, there would be no reason for Jungle Japes to be excluded at all. Both stages have the common trait of only being VERY beneficial to a handful of characters (MK/GaW in RC and Falco/DK/Peach in JJ). It's unfair how Meta Knight, who already has so many advantages in this game, gets a true shot at yet another huge advantage: having a LEGION of stages at his disposal. As I said before, Rainbow Cruise will most likely be banned against the MK player, and so it becomes a dummy stage which allows the MK player to simply pick Brinstar, Delfino, and countless others.

MK stage quality

********: Rainbow Cruise
Excellent: Brinstar, Delfino
Great: Battlefield, Frigate Orpheon
Good: count them if you want... >_>

As you can see, if you exclude RC from tournies, people will at least have the choice to ban either Brinstar or Delfino. And that would be good really, considering strong aerial characters like Wario and R.O.B will most likely ban Delfino because they're better on Brinstar, and ground based characters will prefer banning Brinstar.

Please consider this, guys...

NatP

Smash Ace
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat. MK isn't even going to CP RC against a lot of the cast anyway, so I don't see why banning it resembles a good idea remotely. If you guys really want to punish MK, do 7 starter strike out and for even more kicks legalize Green Greens or even Yoshi Island (Pipes). Norfair is good too, but a lot of people think it's especially good for MK (it isnt).

Anyway that's dumb. MK isn't overwhelming or even near broken with even the US' rulesets which practically always have RC no exceptions. I would complain, tbh, because this ruling really doesn't curb MK like they expect and it screws you over more than any MK pretty much.
This is the response I got when I told the g&w social thread about this. And I agree with him tbh. I mean, it's not that broken. o.o And you can just strike it anyway so who cares?

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
This is the response I got when I told the g&w social thread about this. And I agree with him tbh. I mean, it's not that broken. o.o And you can just strike it anyway so who cares?
You can strike it, but THEN the MK has BOTH Delfino and Brinstar! It's stupid because no one will ever play on it, and it only opens doors for other ridiculously good MK stages.

NatP

Smash Ace
Well brinstar is a good stage for alot of characters too. It's a ridiculously good stage for wario and it's an awesome stage for DK and even for ganon. So it's not that broken. :/

Greward

Smash Lord
Well brinstar is a good stage for alot of characters too. It's a ridiculously good stage for wario and it's an awesome stage for DK and even for ganon. So it's not that broken. :/
yeah, im gonna cp ganondorf when someone takes me to brinstar !!!!!!111111111oneoneeleven

Rydle

Smash Rookie

This is the reason for ban rainbow in tournaments. Nowadays, brinstar is counterpick. If rainbow would be declared as a counterpick too, a DDD player (for example) must be ban one of this stages, and the oponent can choose the other for **** him

Brinstar is a perfect counterpick for aerial characters, so rainbow must be banned

PD.: Sorry for my bad english o.o

K@0S

Smash Ace
RC being rarely banned in the US, I personally don't want to be disadvantaged when traveling because we had it often banned in Europe and we aren't used to it.

Staco

Smash Champion
The MK players didnt even start camping on RC, which would make it more broken than it allready is.

NatP

Smash Ace
I think everyone knows it's going to banned here, even if I do not fully agree with it.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I think everyone knows it's going to banned here, even if I do not fully agree with it.
From what I've discussed with people here and everything, it's obvious stages like Jungle Japes and Pokemon Stadium 2 won't survive the votes. Why should Rainbow Cruise?

Blad01

Smash Lord
RC being rarely banned in the US, I personally don't want to be disadvantaged when traveling because we had it often banned in Europe and we aren't used to it.
Actually, in a way, you will be advantaged if you travel to the US :)

Anyways, it's now obvious for me that RC (and JJ, even if I main Falco) should be banned.

Top Bottom