• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Euro release date...delayed...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
BZZZZZZT. WRONG. Ownage is when something is cool, excellent or otherwise good. For example, Captain Falcon's knee is ownage. Hokuto no Ken is ownage. Putting ten cents in my pocket and pulling out a twenty-dollar bill is ownage.

Several million unsuspecting Europeans getting suckerpunched by a June 08 release date is EPIC FAIL.

Sorry, Europe. Tell you what, though, you're all invited to my place on the tenth!
. . .I've only got two working controllers, so you might wanna bring your own peripherals.

lol if you WANT to be specific

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
are memory cards region locked? could always play on a US wii, then transfer the save and sell said wii when Europe gets Brawl

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
BTW once you go on wifi in a different country with an imported system the system memory will be changed to that country and will lock your smash bros Brawl game.

detroitpistons_fan_23

Smash Cadet
this bulls**t better not include AU because this is just **** enough! i thought i would be playing brawl now then i thought maybe they could give us a demo or something to make up for it but no only for god **** americans!! but they get the game so much before anyway! if they dont realese a demo then... ummm... well i cant do anything i guess but god dammit this is f'ing enough!

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Even though it doesn't affect me, this release news is insulting. This is almost as long as it takes Capcom to translate RPGs. What the hell kind of work is needed for Brawl? There's no dialogue in single player and they won't redo voice acting; most characters are known by their voices internationally.

The biggest thing I can see is trophies. Maybe there are thousands of trophies? Still, this is pretty unexcusable.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
this bulls**t better not include AU because this is just **** enough! i thought i would be playing brawl now then i thought maybe they could give us a demo or something to make up for it but no only for god **** americans!! but they get the game so much before anyway! if they dont realese a demo then... ummm... well i cant do anything i guess but god dammit this is f'ing enough!
Uh, of course it includes AU.

We get the same versions of nintendo games that Europe gets AND we usually get them about a week or two later. So basically, we're screwed.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Well this is depressing news for us Europeans. It seems that not enough of us bought copies of Melee, if we had done we'd have convinced Nintendo that we consider Brawl to be one of the Wii's biggest titles. Instead they think we don't really care that much about Brawl, so instead of trying to maximise profits with a simultaneous worldwide release, try to maximise profits with Japanese and US sales and give us Brawl in Europe when there's a gap in the release schedules. You can see this with Mario Kart Wii. Mario Kart historically sells very well here, so of course they're desperate to give us MKWii as fast as possible, Smash has always sold less so they see less incentive to rush it out to us.

Sucks for us Europeans but its out of our hands so we'll have to grin and bear it. I just cannot believe we'll be getting Mario kart Wii before Brawl.
Hmm, that makes sense... so... do you think a petition would do any good? To let them know that Brawl is more anticipated than Melee was..?

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
OK...first of all...

this means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the NA release date. Why?

You may be saying, but when Japan got a delay, so did NA! Its happening again!

I say, FALSE!

EUROPE NEVER GOT A DELAY! THEY NEVER GOT A RELEASE DATE IN THE FIRST PLACE, THIS IS THE CLOSEST THING TO A RELEASE DATE THEY HAVE HAD! IT'S NOT A DELAY IF THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DELAY IT FROM!

Not to mention EVERY SINGLE SMASH GAME to this point has had about 4-6 months in between US and Europe releases, with NA always getting it first.
Thanks for rubbing it in. Really sportin of ya. >_>

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I don't think the US should be able to laugh at us, because it's really not fair... I might send Nintendo of Europe an email or two, explaining how anticipated this game is, and asking why it's delayed. I mean FFS. Zelda and Mario Galaxy got close release dates, and they're much more text heavy than SSB. They should ALSO have already STARTED translation into all languages, or they're not doing a very efficient job very well. I'm assuming they already ARE translating everything. No, it's all just down to NoE's lazyness.

I really can't believe this. AUS get the English language version like US, but PAL, so I'll try to import it from AUS if it comes out earlier there. The thing is, they have NO REASON for a delay in EU, so AUS may well get it aswell.

I don't mean to be spiteful, but personally I hope US gets another delay aswell, then they'll know how it feels. :( we have to put up with it anyway, but some members on this thread have said some silly things about what they'd do if it was delayed in US, well what do you think we have to go through? I don't understand why we have to get it so crap all the time, it's just because we have Nintendo of Europe, the **** Nintendo.

Tomo009

Smash Apprentice
I really can't believe this. AUS get the English language version like US, but PAL, so I'll try to import it from AUS if it comes out earlier there. The thing is, they have NO REASON for a delay in EU, so AUS may well get it aswell.
I doubt that, we usually get games about a month after Europe which means Brawl is even further for us

I really hope I'm wrong

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that sucks for Europeans. It is a shame really that they are made to wait extra for no reason. But this is how the gaming world works. Strange too, because Europe is the biggest video game market. But they are always the ones getting shafted. Nintendo should give more consideration to Europeans.

Well, regardless of where you are at there will always be ups and downs. Look at it this way. At least you werent born in Iraq. If you were Brawl would be the least of your concerns.

Hang in there. Your game will come.

crystal107

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0791-1171-8682
I have pal modded wii, I just hope that ntsc will work on pal wii with wiikey, otherwise, I`ll just sell my wii and hate nintendo,

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Yeah, that sucks for Europeans. It is a shame really that they are made to wait extra for no reason. But this is how the gaming world works. Strange too, because Europe is the biggest video game market in the world. But they are always the ones getting shafted. Nintendo should give more consideration to Europeans.

Well, regardless of where you are at there will always be ups and downs. Look at it this way. At least you werent born in Iraq. If you were, Brawl would be the least of your concerns.

Hang in there. Youre game will come.
I was born in Iraq and live in the UK. I guess my life just sucks on all levels.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I genuinly considered leaving Nintendo forever and becoming a 360 fanboy. After all they have more great games than Wii atm, and Microsoft actually care about their customers.

Then I remembered Nintendo of America still love me, even though I'm European. They're so nice, I wish they could massacre NoE for me. :cry:

yogho

Smash Apprentice
I won't believe this bull crap. If it isn't confirmed by any official source (dojo, nintendo) then i won't bite.

They are prob based on the releases from melee and why would kotaku come with this news before nintendo?
Yes it is true it would have a longer release but probably not 5 months (im ignorant here cause i dont wanna believe it) stupid translations if you are a pro translater you wont take 5 months to do it. I mean, i'm from Holland and im translating everything in this board all the time so that says something about how fast i can actually translate from English to Dutch.

And yes im getting sick of those espanol and italiano guys who dont wanna learn english, we dont have dutch language options in almost every game and do we complain? No! We just swallow it and take it.

Im waiting for the real release date.

Until that im just gonna play mario galaxy and bite my nails.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I know it's not "Official". But Kotaku received an email from Nintendo. I havn't known Kotaku to lie, and why don't we just check ourselves? Does anyone know the NoE email address? :p If Kotaku can get an answer then Nintendo will have no reason to say "Release plans for Brawl are undecided" or whatever, and if they do, then it may be a lie afterall.

yogho

Smash Apprentice
Let's just pray it's a hoax let's just pray.

That's all we can do.

Or we could march to the Nintendo HQ and scream for a better European game Market

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, that makes sense... so... do you think a petition would do any good? To let them know that Brawl is more anticipated than Melee was..?
I doubt it unless it was run by a website or publication with close links to the industry who could actually have some influence. People on various EU forums are starting their own petitions but without high profile help it won't do anything. I remember with SSB64 there were serious doubts it would see a EU release, and then various publications set up their own petitions which generated a huge response. A couple of months later, SSB64 was given a PAL release date. Without support like that, a petition wouldn't do jack. I think the only thing that could show up Nintendo is if Brawl goes on to be a massive million seller in Europe alone so they kick themselves for not releasing it earlier. Of course, they could just then turn around and feel justified for the delay.

As I said before its out of our hands, so unfortunatly whilst our American friends will be playing the game, I'll be having to steer clear of Youtube so the ending to the SE isn't spoilt. Thats one of my main concerns actually, that the delay will kill hype for the game so it doesn't sell as well in Europe as it could have done, and once again Nintendo feel vindicated.

And a quick note to other people in the thread, this is pretty much official, Brawl does not appear on Nintendo's Q1-Q2 release schedule and when contacted about it they replied that they have no plans for a release earlier than Q3. Also this is more down to how Nintendo manages their release schedules as opposed to translation and localization. There's still a chance they could release it earlier, but hoping for it would truly be clutching at straws.

Edds

Smash Ace
ohwell gives me plenty of time to complete mario galaxy, metroid and excite truck (mirror mode)

Tomo009

Smash Apprentice
GL with that, mario galaxy takes a total of 2 days to beat, it was good but oh so incredibly short and easy (and i mean 120 stars but only playing through once)

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
2 Days? I took more than half a week with it first time through, playing it as much as possible. Give it a little more credit :p playing through with 120 twice took me nearly 1 week and a half!

Can't Smash Boards set up a huge petition? This is the biggest Smash fan community on the web, no? Tell all your friends from other forums to sign it! :p

And really, doesn't anyone know NoE's email? I wanna rant to them >.<

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
how come anyone in Europe never thinks of buying oh, a US wii? or is that even possible?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Not everyone has that kind of money, most people who post here probably have a Wii already. >.>;

Not to mention having to import every single game could end up a huge pain.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I'm going to try it anyway, their site will prolly reopen soon, so I may wait until then, and see if the email is different.

Anyone gonna join me?

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
how come anyone in Europe never thinks of buying oh, a US wii? or is that even possible?
There's several barriers to getting a US Wii in Europe and Australia

1) Power - Europe/Aus run on 220-240V Power, while the US and Japan run on 110V Power. You either need to purchase a European/Aus Wii Power Cord (You can buy these off Nintendo in your country - A jWii or US Wii works with a UK Power cord perfectly) or alternatively buy a Voltage converter from an electronics shop like **** Smith's or Tandy.

2) Availability and Price - A US Wii is actually pretty difficult to get your hands on outside the US. Your only options are import stores (Like Play-Asia) which usually charge a 50 to 100% premium, plus postage (Eg, to get a US Wii can often cost up to $400 USD). The other option is Ebay, however the supreme majority of American ebayers who sell Wiis refuse to ship outside the USA. The rest that do ship outside the US will bid up to absurd prices (I've seen ~$500 USD). If you're willing to forsake your native language (As I have done) getting a Japanese Wii is actually a lot easier and far less hassle. They go fairly cheap on Ebay, several online stores sell them at a modest price, etc. You still need the right power cables, but if you're comfortable with Japanese (Like I am) it's a good option.

3) Payment for items - Not everyone has a credit card or whatever to use to purchase goods online. Many don't feel comfortable purchasing goods over the internet. I personally don't have a credit card, so I'm restricted to using Paypal on Ebay or coaxing my parents to let me use their debit card to purchase things.

4) Warranty - You get no warranty outside of the region the product was intended for. Of course, if you live in Australia I'd go for it. Nintendo of Australia don't actually have any warranty (They say they do, but as I found out if you actually ring them up to get something repaired, their response is "**** you, you broke it you son of a ******* lying son of a *****, buy another god****ed one", apparently this has happened to other people as well)

So as you can see, you have to be reasonably determined to actually import consoles. But if you're confident you know what you're doing then it's sorta-straightforward and just requires a little patience.

Eagle

Smash Lord
If this is true, Europeans and most likely Australians have just gotten repeatedly stabbed in the balls with a rusty knife, skewering the right testicle.

Unfair.

Lets bombard them with emails complaining.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I know it most probably means nothing at all, but at a local gameshop here there's a releaselist, which says Brawl will come out here in Europe, on April 1st. I doubt that it will, but at least it gives SOME hope for an earlier release than Q3 or even Q4.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
"If the game is not listed on the schedule up until the end of Q2 it is currently not due out until after that time."
Apparantly that's what the spokesperson said.

#1 They didn't speak specifically about Brawl
#2 Sakurai may feel it's ready before then and it could be pushed forward
#3 Note "currently".

It's incredibly vague. Any other sources with more info? This is the only "official quote" I could find. It's from videogamer.com.

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
I am really p****d off by this. Seriously. I don't see what the point is... That means we could be playing this in no less than 7/8 months. Worst case scenario would be for EU release to be in the summer. Surely, Nintendo wouldn't leave it more than a month to release SSBB over here. COME ON. It just can't happen!

But then again, IMO, it's the rest of Europe's fault that they speak a different language. It's more annoying for us British and Australians. OMG =(

Brawleri

Smash Journeyman
If this is true, Europeans and most likely Australians have just gotten repeatedly stabbed in the balls with a rusty knife, skewering the right testicle.

Unfair.

Lets bombard them with emails complaining.
And we all get tetanus because of the rusty knife. That sucks...

I'm going to send email for the NoE. I'm sick and tired of waiting for games like these al the time.

Yay, we got some ****ing Mario strikers before America, and yeah, they got it 2 months later. It isn't even a very good game. And that's why we have to wait for brawl, for 6 MONTHS! That's just freaking ****ty and sick. ****ing NoE is just so friggin' lazy.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why Europeans are mad... is about the delay? well, just think here in Latin America we have to play US games, I've never had the pleasure of playing a Spanish game (except, of course, Zelda: PH)
They're mad about a delay to include languages they don't use, to change their display format to a TV system that everyone can use anyhow (Plus takes minimal time if you MUST convert it) and the fact they are charged about twice the price for that privilege.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I'm actually apalled though, about the amount of intolerance to other languages that've arisen because of this... That's not even an issue, it's NoE, it doesn't take 5 months to translate a game into 4 other languages. There's another reason, there has to be. People born into French or Spanish cultures shouldn't be forced to learn English to enjoy things like games and books, it's not fair, because half of the people in Britain would never be bothered to learn another language.

It's another reason. This could be anything from NoE just being lazy, or NoE think Smash Bros isn't popular in Europe, like they thought with Melee. It went on to be (one of?) the best selling game on GC for Europe didn't it?

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
Maybe so, but I live in Australia. We're not part of the EU and we don't speak any languages officially apart from English.

Why do we need to wait the extra 6 months?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I don't know... surely conversion to PAL doesn't take 6 months? No, we all know it shouldn't. It's Nintendo's lazyness, either that, or AUS get it before Europe.

Top Bottom