• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EC Regional Event #1: XI.E.S.T.I.C.L.E. - Wallingford, CT - Jun 7, 08

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
WOW, that was fast, you're really on the ball Cort :D!

I had a great time at XESTICLE, so I really can't wait for this.
Oh BTW, I'll bring a revamped Captain Falcon and pwn everyone!!!!!!!! har har har!!!!!!... no... really.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
it's like being caught in a cat fight (oh lawl) whether you want to be in one or not!

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I'd like a thread with some light homo on the side, please.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Simple Math...

Alright guys, let's do some simple Math to sum up this thread's arguments pertaining to which tournament to go to:

...first off, a few assumptions

1) Money is limited, we are not all rich, we have limits to what we can and should spend

2) Travel is annoying, no one likes to be in a car for 2+ hours, especially if you're the driver.

3) A lot of people like Melee better then Brawl, but still play/enjoy Brawl to a degree.

4) Given restrictions of the first two rules that are FAR outside normal means/limits, a Melee player would normally pick a brawl tournament to go to, if it was more reasonable.

What is reasonable? Well, let's do some math here...

...Just taking Massachusetts as an example as a state with a hefty drive to either the CT or GA tournaments, let's assume It's my car, I'm carpooling 4 other people, and we all apply to the assumptions written above. (Which I don't since I prefer Brawl.)

Price of Gas --> $3.75 / gallon (By June, I can only pray it goes down, but let's conservatively estimate based off of current prices)

My tank --> 13 gallons ... Miles / Gallon highway = 30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From MA to CT tourney = 127 miles ( 2 hrs 16 minutes) ...(and back = 254 miles)

- 254 miles total travel , ~8.5 gallons ==> $31 on gas (split 5 ways)
- 4 hours of driving time
- 12 hr tournament (returning same day, or early next morning if housed)
- Brawl only , $10 entry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From MA to GA tourney = 1,118 miles ( 18 hrs 14 minutes) ...(and back = 2,236 miles)

- 2236 miles total travel , ~74 gallons ==> $277 on gas (split 5 ways)
- 36 hours of driving time
- Weekend tournament (returning whenever...basically tourney should be one day.)
- Melee only , $20

(Cheaper then flying , but HELLA annoying for a driver...or even MULTIPLE drivers)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total costs = per person

CT --> About $40 a person , only 4 hours total driving, not that bad of a drive for one driver.

GA --> About $120 per person (CONSERVATIVELY) , 36 hours of driving, VERY ANNOYING DRIVE even if everyone takes an equal turn at the wheel. Airplane = Even more expensive.

...I'm sorry guys, but the choice seems all but too obvious here. Even if I were HARDCORE Melee, I would NEVER consider the GA tournament as an option over XESTICLE. Hell, I'd have trouble justifying that trip EVEN if it wasn't on the same day! Assumption#4 at the top of this post makes the choice clear to most everyone in the Northeast.

Cut Cort some slack, in my eyes, he's just being intelligent in saying most aren't going to Georgia.

I'll be at the Connecticut one. Thanks.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Oh we were?

...sorry my bad, didn't check the last date on the posts. didn't mean to stir anything back up again. I just got here and thought the arguing was kind of silly, so I posted my two cents. It just seemed that the arguing started over who was going to what tournament, where it shouldn't have started at all considering Georgia is pretty ****ed far away under any reasonable circumstances.

Connecticut and Brawl is what I'd rather anyways.

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT <3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
I don't think you helped the argument that much. They're saying that it's taking people away from their tournament, you saying that you'd rather go to this tournament instead of theirs is only helping them. I know you said that you would have trouble deciding to go there even if this tournament wasn't taking place but this tournament did influence you.

Also, it's 2x the length of fun since it's two days so it should naturally be worth at least 2x. Also, SleepyK is there so it triples and therefore making the worth exactly the same (if you calculated everything right). He also balances out your hard driving time with private pleasures.

I'm not really trying to convince anyone about anything, I'm not going to either... just saying. >_>

Cort

Apple Head
Uh, I think if people want to go to the ****ing GA tourny they'll go. This is just an ESTICLE, they happen sort of monthly so it's not like missing one would make you lose the internet

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you helped the argument that much. They're saying that it's taking people away from their tournament, you saying that you'd rather go to this tournament instead of theirs is only helping them. I know you said that you would have trouble deciding to go there even if this tournament wasn't taking place but this tournament did influence you.
...well, actually it didn't at all. If it were a Brawl tournament, I most likely still wouldn't go since it is in, as Cort so eloquently put it, "F*cking Georgia", and that's one hell of a drive.

Also, it's 2x the length of fun since it's two days so it should naturally be worth at least 2x. Also, SleepyK is there so it triples and therefore making the worth exactly the same (if you calculated everything right).
This is sarcasm right?...regardless, I'll reply with logic.

1) It's not 2x the distance, it's actually closer to about 9x the total distance.
2) SleepyK being there has no relevance to me, I don't know who he is.

...so unless, you've got a few more multipliers for me, I'm not convinced. :chuckle:

He also balances out your hard driving time with private pleasures.
...ummm, yeah...this would count as a negative multiplier, be sure to factor that in as well. :chuckle:

I'm not really trying to convince anyone about anything, I'm not going to either... just saying. >_>
Haha...don't worry, I wasn't convinced anyways. This is a Melee tournament, I never fully got into competitive Melee except for a few tournaments before I dropped off the map for life reasons. I'm going to be playing Brawl competitively and working on my skills in that game, so I never would have even considered coming to the GA tournament in the first place anywho. The people are awesome and all, but 36 hours is a LOT of driving, even split among 5 people...and that's assuming they all have liscenses/I trust driving my car.

Banks

Smash Hero
Even if I were HARDCORE Melee, I would NEVER consider the GA tournament as an option over XESTICLE. Hell, I'd have trouble justifying that trip EVEN if it wasn't on the same day!
I once was in a car 18 hours total and stayed in maryland for three days. and spent probly 100 something. so some people really are insane about traveling for melee. p.s. i would never do that again. ever

Top Bottom