• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EC Regional Event #1: XI.E.S.T.I.C.L.E. - Wallingford, CT - Jun 7, 08

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
No, he beat me in pools

..that's not the point at all -_-
pools count, no johns

and,

Here let me summarize Skler's Link game in Melee. Throw shit, jump around and neutral air a lot cause it's a stupidly good move. Land inside people and buffer spot dodges. Punish accordingly or get punished because you're predictable as shit and you play Link.

Get it? :rolleyes:
what's the point then?

my point is that Skler is quite good at Melee and places well even at big(er) tournies

Cort

Apple Head
The point is summarizing people's playstyles in such a way that might annoy them for the lack of describing how one still has to play with a large amount of skill (which Skler does, I'm not trying to be -actually- disrespectful) to be actually good at anything

and pools =/= tournament

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Did Skler do that to you? Did you do that to him?

And aren't pools games to decide whether you continue on in the tournament? I fail to see how they don't count...but then again maybe you think that way because you always make it out of them?

Cort

Apple Head
I take attempts at summarizing my playstyle by Skler to be somewhat disrespectful (eh, I could care less, but I'm just -really- tired of reading it, especially when he doesn't find anything new or interesting to say since he just keeps regurgitating the same stuff he says in Scar's wonderful thread)

And pools don't matter at all when you know you're going to make it out of them, yeah >_> plus really bad day johns @ vls... I also ended up losing to a random jigglypuff in pools :D

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
I will always think that Melee is the better game......it is! The point is though, Cort actually does have a solid point. As good as Melee is/was...Brawl is what everyone is playing regardless of what you think about the game. Now, you could say that "omg! Now were going to be playing all of these noooob losers!!! This sucks!" or something to that extent. Seriously, that sounds like one of the most ***** statements I have ever heard. Treat the game just as you would Melee in that respect. If you come across nooby kids or players....TEACH THEM just like you would someone new coming into Melee. Seriously, you Melee lover and Brawl haters are generally the minority. Those of you who play Melee but do not BASH Brawl have the right idea. You are RESPECTFUL to those of us who actually like Brawl.

Now, of course you cant teach NEW PEOPLE in the community L cancelling, wavedashing, waveshielding, etc...but you can teach them better strategies.

Ex-Hey, you shouldnt use your smash attacks so early on...they weaken as you use them up. Try to use your jab combo with Kirby. Or---Did you know that with DDD you can save your partner in a teams match by swallowing them? Or----Try planting a C4 on the ledge of the stage....it makes recovering for your opponent tougher because they cant hang on the ledge. You can all think of things to help your opponenets, most of you are really smart and good smashers.

Maybe Melee has more "depth" maybe Brawl has more "depth" Honestly, who cares? It is a video game. Get over it and grow up guys.

I wrote this a few weeks ago- - - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166796

Maybe all of you will start putting 2 + 2 together.

I'm not SIDING with anyone and Im not BASHING anyone. Stop making this a war...its a ****ing video game!!!!!!

-Poffy

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Eleventh Ever Smash Tournament in CONNECTICUT: a Leisure Event - Wallingford CT Jun 7, 08 Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Alright, though I made a pretty poor attempt at illustrating my point, what really bothered me about this event wasn't the fact that it was brawl or it wasn't melee or anything. It bothered me that Cort was running the tournament on the same day as the Georgia tournament. Though he had some sound reasons, it's still reducing attendance at the Georgia tournament. Granted it's only like Cort and PC who aren't going to go because of esticle, but having big names like Cort and PC help attendance at large tournaments. I mean, it's Cort and PC Chris.
I have other gripes, but whatever. It doesn't matter. Cort has his mind set, and when he has his mind set, he gets what he wants, if you know what I mean ;)

I'm just sleepyk, it's just melee, and it's just georgia.
No need to push the argument any further with opinions.

PS. Cort, when you get the shirt, I want pics.

also, nudes.

edit: actually, there's no need to wait until the shirt gets there.

nudes any time would be good.

edit2: well, while i'm at it, might as well ask for nudes now.

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT <3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
Ok, I read all the posts. Tournaments are held on the same date all the time... If this was two separate tournaments in NE then I can understand but Georgia is far away and some other people wanna have fun on the same day who can't travel or who don't want to play melee. Yeah, it'd probably be nicer of him to change the date but his choices don't seem very flexible. I don't see it taking that many people out of attendance, if someone was that enthusiastic about going to a melee tournament so far away, what are the chances that he or she would loose all this enthusiasm and go to a brawl tournament when he or she hates brawl? (Well, I guess PC is not going because of it but I'm sure his choice wasn't 100% because of esticle.)

You can't really say brawl can be summed up so easily, with that, you can summarize any games meta game. Brawl will have a shorter summary than melee but people are still placing consistently and so there is a skill aspect of the game. (I don't really know, I don't play brawl.)

Also, won't DM not want melee tournaments anymore? More people come for brawl and they make more money that way, MONEY MONEY MONEY.

I'm not completely siding with Cort or anything, it's just that everyone seems to be bashing him when he makes a lot of valid points. He did however, make a lot of posts that made him out to be a ****.

I'm not gay. XD

Skler

Smash Master
I'd say something, but Nus summed everything up pretty well.

Not about the gay facebook things though. Not at all.

SleepyK

i get those too. I think it's everybody on facebook...

right?

ZoSo

Smash Champion
The majority of New England smashers (at least the ones that go on smashboards, the ones you ****ing know) seem to like Melee more, so why hold a Brawl tournament?
Because Cort won the last one?

I might come to this and play Melee the whole time again.

Aesir

Smash Master
No, it's really not that far off. To be honest, Brawl WILL NOT be removed from the new mainstream smash community, and Melee IS DEAD.

I am really just tired of people that think they understand every little nuance that comes with playing/comprehending something as advanced as a "metagame" in ANY fighting or any game, for that matter. No one really gives a **** if you hate Brawl and love Melee, I enjoy playing Brawl for what it is and I have fun playing it against other intelligent players.

The players bashing Brawl are the extreme minority.

And on top of it, I don't camp my ass off with projectiles like Skler summarizes. I walk around, space myself accordingly, shield, ftilt, and mortarslide. That's like 6 new dimensions to Brawl's metagame >_>;;.. point is I do it with something called 'skill'.

Here let me summarize Skler's Link game in Melee. Throw shit, jump around and neutral air a lot cause it's a stupidly good move. Land inside people and buffer spot dodges. Punish accordingly or get punished because you're predictable as shit and you play Link.

Get it? :rolleyes:
It actually is far off because you don't actually need to be a top player to understand a metagame it's not something only a select few understand.

But whatever cort it's your tournament, brawl attracts the noobs noobs = free 10 dollars that adds up after a while kudoz.

People aren't upset because it's brawl they were upset because of the date. >_>

P.c. Chris

Smash Lord
melee is great , brawl is fun to some level. Cort is running a brawl tournament that happens to be the same date as a tournament rly far away. I understand a lot of you are die hard melee fans but really you don't have to bash cort >_> You guys want melee, you can run a tournament too, we don't have to sit around and wait for cort to pick melee. i really don't see what he's doing wrong x_x

Prac352

Smash Lord
no, if they're frustrated they can eat a ****

I could honestly care less about a dying game's tournaments right now

if people -ACTUALLY- want to go to ****ing Georgia, they'll go there. I'M IN CONNECTICUT

and I don't need random people trying to guilt trip me over their precious Melee tourny's attendance dropping by 2
I'm sorry you won't be attending the GA shindig. I was really, really hopeful. Like MM tutorial hopeful.

But yeah, good luck with your tourney. Maybe you'll consider coming to the next one. I can certainly hope.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
It actually is far off because you don't actually need to be a top player to understand a metagame it's not something only a select few understand.

But whatever cort it's your tournament,s brawl attracts the noobs noob = free 10 dollars that adds up after a while kudoz.

People aren't upset because it's brawl they were upset because of the date. >_>
Lol.................

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
Are that many people from the northeast really planning on going to Georgia for a Melee tournament?....Come on now.

So Fatal

Smash Master
Are you guys really complaining about another tournament going on at the same time in georgia when this one is in CT, what the **** is wrong with you people?

SleepyK

some northeast people are coming, cort expressed interest, and PC was considering coming to GA.

oh my bad, it's georgia. something's wrong with me.

S.P.I.C. TOM

Smash Ace
melee is great , brawl is fun to some level. Cort is running a brawl tournament that happens to be the same date as a tournament rly far away. I understand a lot of you are die hard melee fans but really you don't have to bash cort >_> You guys want melee, you can run a tournament too, we don't have to sit around and wait for cort to pick melee. i really don't see what he's doing wrong x_x
I would have to agree with PC in this debate.

Top Bottom