• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easy ways to LASERLOCK!!! (updated 1st post)

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
EASY WAYS TO LASERLOCK

1) 2nd hit of falco's Nair
2) F tilt
3) Dair (more specific to set up
4) ledge get up attack

those are the 4 best ways to get your opponent on the ground to laserlock them

I figured this out last night. Hit them with the last hit of Falco's Nair, and then shoot ground lasers right away, and then you have an EASY LASERLOCK on people! It's amazing, and very easy to do too, I told this to Vidjo last night and he did it right away to his friends several times. Obviously you can get out by DIing or air dodging or teching, but many times people won't do them, and they are screwed after that.

*** THIS ALSO WORKS WITH FALCO'S FORWARD TILT, it's arguably even easier with F tilt but you need to wait longer to start it. ***

*** DAIR ALSO WORKS, BUT ONLY ON FAST FALLING AND HEAVY CHARACTERS ***

Get up attack also works. So that's Nair, F tilt, and Dair and Get up attack that are the 4 easiest ways to start it, pretty much in that order of usefulness, with Nair and F tilt being the most practical (it varies on the character's falling speed too, although the Nair and F tilt are more likely to work as it hits them horizontally and are easier to set up). Down smash probably won't work often unless they don't react well or something.

OBVIOUSLY some characters (esp. Jigglypuff) you are never going to get this to work, as they are in the air too long, but most characters this works on, especially if they DI away.

These are the %s that each of these moves knocks the opponent over (tested in training mode). The left side is F tilt, the middle is Falco's Nair, and the right side is Falco's Dair.

80 54 42 Bowser

78 53 41 DK

77 52 40 Snake

77 52 40 DDD

76 51 39 Charizard

76 51 39 Ganon

75 51 39 Samus

75 51 39 Wario
75 51 39 Yoshi

74 50 39 ROB

74 50 38 Ike *Can't Laserlock from F tilt around 74-76 cuz he falls too fast assuming you kind of spaced the F tilt, but after that you can

74 50 38 C.Falcon *same exact as above
74 50 38 Link *can't start laserlock from F tilt until 83%+ (but if you wait too long he will go too high and will be able to easily double jump)

73 49 38 Wolf

72 49 37 Lucario
72 49 37 Ivysaur

71 48 37 Mario *LASERLOCK DOESN'T WORK

71 48 36 Luigi *LASERLOCK DOESN'T WORK

70 48 36 Sonic *LASERLOCK USUALLY WON'T WORK

70 47 36 Pit
70 47 36 Ness
70 47 36 Lucas

69 47 35 Diddy

69 47 35 Toon Link
69 47 35 ICs *NANA WILL STOP THE LASERLOCK QUICKLY

68 46 35 Peach

67 45 34 Marth

66 45 33 Zelda
66 45 33 Sheik

65 44 33 Falco
65 44 33 Olimar

64 44 32 ZSS *LASERLOCK USUALLY WON'T WORK

64 44 32 Fox

64 43 32 Pikachu
64 43 32 Metaknight

63 43 32 Kirby

62 42 31 GW
62 42 31 Squirtle

59 40 29 Jigglypuff

^^^ THIS ALSO GOES IN ORDER BY CHARACTER WEIGHT (true weight, see my weight topic on allisbrawl or general brawl discussion for more info on that)

other people that you can infinite include ICs Ice Blocks (Chu did this in tourney after down throw -> nana Fair at like I think 30%+ or so), Pikachu jabs (after Nair?), Metaknight down tilt (after weak nair or on slopes maybe?) Squirtle Jabs (after fair/bair?), Link jabs (after boomerang), Mario jabs (after Nair, but Luigi jabs don't seem to work), Sonic jabs (after Nair), Ness jabs (after you dair them from the air into the ground, I dunno), Kirby jabs (after a close up B so the last hit of final cutter misses), and Jigglypuff jabs (after aerials). Samus works too (her jabs don't hit low though) and so does Olimar in a corner, I dunno what else does.

also I might as well say this here too; here are the %s for Mario's Nair, and Sonic's Nair, to knock people over (Mario on left, Sonic on right)

Here's the %s for Mario's Nair, and Sonic's Nair, to knock people over (Mario on left, Sonic on right)

45 43 Bowser
44 42 DK
44 42 Snake
43 41 DDD
43 41 Charizard
43 41 Ganon
42 40 Samus
42 40 Wario
42 40 Yoshi
42 40 ROB
42 40 Ike
41 39 C.Falcon
41 39 Link
41 39 Wolf
40 38 Lucario
40 38 Ivysaur
40 38 Mario
40 38 Luigi
39 37 Sonic
39 37 Pit
39 37 Ness
39 37 Lucas
39 37 Diddy
38 36 Toon Link
38 36 ICs
38 36 Peach
37 35 Marth
37 35 Zelda
37 35 Sheik
36 34 Falco
36 34 Olimar
36 34 ZSS
35 34 Fox
35 33 Pikachu
35 33 Metaknight
35 33 Kirby
34 32 GW
34 32 Squirtle
32 31 Jigglypuff

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
I just tried it. Works fairly well.

I did it with nair and dair. Really it will only work when your opponent purposely falls to the ground themselves.

NOTE THIS: If your opponent double-jumps and then you use fair or nair (havent tried dair), they go into a no-recovery state and they HAVE TO FALL TO THE GROUND. This means you have a perfect chance to laser-lock.

To Falco players: Whenever you see your opponent use a double-jump, nair, dair or fair them, they'll slowly fall to the ground, you just to carefully (not even carefully) prepare some lasers for them.

I tried this with my brother. He was using charizard at the time and got out of the laser-lock at around 110% (not sure at what hp he was on when it started) probably around 70 or 80%, not exactly sure.

It looks like Falco has another awesome move. I guess its a punishing technique for your opponent's double jumps. It looks like noone will be double-jumping around Falco anymore.

However, I'm going to go and test the double-jump part once again, I could be wrong, and all I've said has been for nothing =(

EDIT: You can't tech out of it, but my brother got out of it at around 110%.

Cerrus

Smash Cadet
Thanks. this is nice to know! I had always wanted to laser lock someone in real play, but never found the right way. Thanks :D

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. this is nice to know! I had always wanted to laser lock someone in real play, but never found the right way. Thanks :D
I tried my laser-locks again. Punishing a double jump wouldn't be as easy as I thought =(

Although you can hit them and make them fall to the ground, they can still usetheir upB and I THINK their A button. But they can't jump. Hope that helps.

zzzzzzzzzz

Smash Cadet
with the foward tilt and Nair, do they have to be on the ground already? or can i set it up with something like D throw > Ftilt/Nair?

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... this makes falco seem so much better... with f-tilt, dair, and ledge attack working as well?
Makes me think that tournaments will ban such locks for all characters....

2DLogic

Smash Cadet
I've gotten the d-air>laser lock a few times before, and had been playing around with it lately. Good to know about about the exact percentages for this, and his f-tilt; and that it can also be set up from his n-air as well.
Appreciate the info M2K.

Pewgs

Smash Rookie
Good stuff. Works well against CPU's, I'll try against some friends later.

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm going to try some laserlocks again too. It'll be hard to implement them in a real game I suppose. The only way I can think is if someone comes up with a really good combo so that the opponent can't tech because they hit the ground or for the very rare time for punishing your opponent when they make the mistake of not teching.

Pewgs

Smash Rookie
Just tried it on a friend, freaking worked wonders. He was like WTFBBQ as a laserlocked him across FD. Good stuff.

Tonyyyyyy

Smash Cadet
I may be doing something glaringly obvious, but I can't figure it out.

My roommate uses MK and whenever I hit him my attacks make him go too far up for him to have plenty of time to recover while he's in the air. Dairing MK can work, but that's the only one I can find.

Any suggestions vs mk and other lighties?

Smash Apprentice
I may be doing something glaringly obvious, but I can't figure it out.

My roommate uses MK and whenever I hit him my attacks make him go too far up for him to have plenty of time to recover while he's in the air. Dairing MK can work, but that's the only one I can find.

Any suggestions vs mk and other lighties?
=(

The dair is good, but laserlock is obviously something you can't rely on.

btw, when you play smash with your room-mate, how do you play?

Do you solely just play lots of intense fights with your main and your room-mates main? Or do you sometimes mix it up with free-for-all or fun battles with other characters?

Because for me, it's really annoying because my brother doesn't actually main anyone yet. When we do have intense fights (which is only like a couple a day since he has anger management problems, even in fun matches) he either plays TL, MK or PT. And whether he wins or loses, he just swaps characters. It annoys the hell out of me. Like 98% of the time I play Brawl its with Falco and for him its like 10% on 10 different characters (some exceptions). Sometimes I'll absolutely rip him, like yesterday he was winning by like one whole stock in a 3 stock battle (so I hadnt killed him yet) then I really focus (because I was tired and wasn't focusing) and in two stock I kill him for his 3 stocks and did it in about 100% damage. THEN HE QUITS IT BEFORE I WIN. Then he swaps to TL and I make sure to make it a BALANCED fight. But I overestimate him and it turns out he works me out and he ends up winning anyway... I know I have far more skill and I'm far better because I have had more time with Falco than he has with a character... I don't know... Anyone else have the same problem? I doubt it.

Tonyyyyyy

Smash Cadet
I play as Falco, Marth, Wolf, and Pit. He mains MK only and hasn't taken the time to get good with anybody else yet. I usually use one character per "session" I guess you could call it, because i'm usually in a different mindset. If i want to play a very fast paced game I like falco, if i'm looking to sit back a little more i'll play pit, ect....

My roomate isn't a tool and neither am I when it comes to stuff like that.

Blad01

Smash Lord
You can laser lock with a horizontal Up-B at 0%
Oh, you found that too ? Actually, i'm makin a thread on lasers, and i put this there. On my youtube i've done a little video on that combo. However, that doesn't work on every character, and the things i'm doing on the video is impossible to do in reallity.

I'm making a thread on lasers, and a second video on that combo ^^ But i still must do some tests to verify in fou can't airdodge at 0%.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Wow, It seemed so hard and impossible to do at first.
But this, makes it like second nature.
thanks
-t2

Vashers

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this was mentioned yet but you can chain spike 1 time and then grab, throw down, then dash forward a bit and do a fair, the last hit will be the laser lock starter. As soon as you hit the ground start firing like mad. I tried this in training against a Marth. Obviously he didn't try to tech but if someone messes up I guess that would be a good opportunity. In general if the opponent has like 30% damage and you fair them with all the hits it will knock them to the floor and if they don't tech you can laser lock.

Frate

Smash Journeyman
half-bump, but bthrow works against CPU or players who don't know about laserlock(eg avoid the "**** i'm falling" animation), at mid procents.

Top Bottom