• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

East Coast Canada Brawl Stage Discussion

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Hanenbow is basic platforms. They do move, like yoshi's island platform, and sort of like Lylat cruise. You have to be careful about going below the stage if your characters recovery isn't incredible. The stage really is fine, attacking the platforms to raise and lower them is a strategical decision.

JeffMan

Smash Apprentice
I think that's what eliminated me from our doubles match on Saturday, lol. I was well above the leaf and let out a charged forward B with Ike, and the leaf raised before I got there and I ended up missing and dying. :p

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
ban hannenbow and norfair from singles?
I think they're really fine for doubles, but they might be too much for singles lol

J.L

Smash Ace
hannenbow is a pure camping stage.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3Arhdw33KmQ

There was a point in that game (2:20 - 2:40) where i was in the lead and I kept running away and air dodging. GK told me at that point to stop running away and fight. I didnt want to run away forever as that is not my playing style but Im pretty sure if i wanted to i could have continued for another 4 minutes and win the game through timeout without losing the stock.

The point is that hannenbow promotes too much camping and running away in addition to what Nate said. I vote hannenbow to be banned.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
Ok first off, HANENBOW only has 1 N. Anyway yes, I agree that we should ban it for the above reason. That match was ********.

EDIT: Or we could classify running around and l dodging as a stalling tactic (which it is) and thus it will be banned.

infamousGK

Smash Apprentice
ARG I guess I agree to ban it from singles but you better ban NO FAIR for obvious reasons... Hanenbow should be banned from singles because it is the Hyrule V2... It deserves to be in doubles though for sure. No johns for doubles. You can't run away from 2 people all match. If it were 2 v 1 you might be able to run from the 1 person but eventually they could catch one of them.

D

Deleted member

Luigi's Mansion is Hyrule. There's a post by The King who agrees that it should be banned and not CP. It's too Hyrule.

alphameric

Smash Ace
Well if you want to ban stages out of absolute fairness, then ban norfair, hanenbow, & mario circuit for the next tournament.

Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Delfino Plaza
- CP due to stage variants
Pirate Ship - Predictable and avoidable hazards (7 Cannonballs, people)
Frigate Orpheon
Battleship Halberd - Predictable and avoidable hazards
Brinstar - Predictable lava hazard
Corneria
- Fighter support
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Castle Siege
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
- Obvious CP
Green Greens* - Camping I guess, since the bombs don't KO
Mario Circuit* - Chain grabs off the sides (Falco, D3, Yoshi, IC)
Hanenbow*
- Hyrule
Green Hill Zone
- Chain grabs off the sides
Norfair - Hyrule, Random KOing hazards
Distant Planet
- Random KOing creature thing, CG off the sides (Falco, D3, Yoshi, IC)
Mushroomy Kingdom - No explanation required
Rumble Falls
- No explanation required
75m - No explanation required
Spear Pillar - Random game-breaking hazards
Port Town Aero Dive
- I suppose because the cars KO easily (not hard to dodge though)
Wario Ware
- No explanation required
The Summit - No ledges, consistent air-rides
Mario Bros. Classic
- Stage hazards KO too easily, hyrule
New Pork City
- Hyrule
Flat Zone 2
- Hazards obstruct gameplay
Temple
- Hyrule
Big Blue
- No real 'stage' to speak of
Skyworld
- Stupidly easy to gimp some people I suppose
Shadow Moses Island
- Walls
Onett
- Walls
Pictochat
- Random KOing hazards
Bridge of Eldin
- CG off the sides (Falco, D3, Yoshi, IC)

*Only legal as a CP in Doubles

That should be the proper stage list :)

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Is the chaingrabs on distant planet guaranteed? Cause of the steep slope it might not work?

And those huge monster is just chilling, hardly a "hazard".

alphameric

Smash Ace
Is the chaingrabs on distant planet guaranteed? Cause of the steep slope it might not work?

And those huge monster is just chilling, hardly a "hazard".
AFAIK the CG works like a regular surface ken, and the creatures eat you no matter if the mouth is open or closed. Try it yourself :laugh:

KingAce

Smash Ace
ya shadow moses island cp for teams isnt that bad. but for singles lol no wayy, dedede can basically infinitely grab you when your against the wall.

D

Deleted member

Luigi's Mansion should be banned, it's probably one of the biggest campfests and mini-Hyrules in the game. That stage is nowhere near being Counterpick-worthy; it completely shuts down many characters and their kill moves, and can fully negate character's movements/approaches/kill moves simply by having the multiple levels of stage protected by solid platforms and really low 1st-story ceiling. The stage does more work winning the match than the player who counterpicked there; it either becomes a complete negation of one character's ability, or a 7:00 campfest which doesn't even reach last stock.

King Out
Good enough for me.

And no, there's no way Pirate Ship is a CP.

alphameric

Smash Ace
Fine I can work with that reasoning for mansion.

Whats wrong with Pirate Ship? There is NO WAY that should be a banned stage.
There are 7 cannonballs every time, the 'air-ride' lasts like 15 seconds, the catapult gives you like 5 seconds to move away, and the ship spike is easy to avoid and hard to combo people into.
Also, removing it seriously limits the amount of stages you can CP characters like the IC's on, since they can't CG you to the edge and spike you.

Seriously. Pirate ship is a CP, I suggest learning it like every other stage.

D

Deleted member

You can tech the ICs spike chain grab, so that's not really good enough for me.

edit - i don't mean off the wall. you can dothat, but you can also tech the hits that spike you into the ground while on the ground to escape it at enough %s.

D

Deleted member

Lol. Every justification you bring to the table is just what I would shoot back at you. I just feel it's too much.

The air rides, the spikes, the cannons...

You can trap people when it beaches, too.

Kjdjy

Smash Journeyman
I think the list is alright the way it seems to be going. A good general guideline for us, imo, would be to go with a generally stripped down and most easily agreeable list until an official one is made.

Thats the direction this list seems to be going, with the revent banning of mansion, hanenbow and pirate ship, and it should work out in the best interest of fairness and making everyone happy until the pros and MLG decide shadow moses is neutral

Grmo

Smash Champion
I think I'm fine with Pirate Ship being on for now. If it's going to be banned anywhere, it should be for doubles, since we have to pay attention to 3 people instead of one and we're far more likely to get killed or messed up by the stage then than in singles. But we'll have to look into that more.

Kjdjy

Smash Journeyman
I like Pirate Ship and I've recently begun to like Mansion as a counterpick both for my Bowser/against projectile spammers, but like I said I'm fine with it being banned amongst us for now so that we have the most agreeable stage list until the official one is made. Ship is good but there's plenty against it, like Jake said everything that you and I could argue makes it fine can also be used to argue against it.

infamousGK

Smash Apprentice
If you're think about banning a stage for camping No fair should be one. You can camp the ledges easy and MK can Up B to the next ledge above him. Hanenbow should be banned in singles for obvious reasons even though I love that stage. Pirate ship has no reason to be banned. Tether recoveries need to do well somewhere for *** sakes. Adrian makes a great point. If you get gimped on that level it is because of player stupidity, plain and simple.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
**** banning Luigi's Mansion. Thats like my favourite stage in the game and I'm probably the most aggresive non campy player on the scene. If you're going to talk about running away and infinite looping there are a looot worse stages out there for that, hell people could almost do the same **** on battlefield if they REALLY wanted to.

infamousGK

Smash Apprentice
If you rush the camping player they can't camp too well. Just be careful once you get closer because that is when they will stop camping and attack. If they hit you when you rush in then they tend to run and camp some more. Yelling at a player to stop camping tends to help. I was playing Eric and he was standing on BF on the other side and was shooting standing lasers non-stop while I was stuck on the edge. I tried to jump but kept getting hit. I finally let out a sigh and he quit camping and approached. Mind games work out of game as well.

Grmo

Smash Champion
If you rush the camping player they can't camp too well. Just be careful once you get closer because that is when they will stop camping and attack. If they hit you when you rush in then they tend to run and camp some more. Yelling at a player to stop camping tends to help. I was playing Eric and he was standing on BF on the other side and was shooting standing lasers non-stop while I was stuck on the edge. I tried to jump but kept getting hit. I finally let out a sigh and he quit camping and approached. Mind games work out of game as well.
thanks, i'll have to keep that in mind. alternately, if i want to not get ***** by camping maybe i shouldnt be playing kirby...

Percon

Smash Lord
I wish LM stayed flat longer. That way if someone was camping you could destroy the house or something... but it comes back in like 20 seconds :/ But I still think it's CP right now, if only just barely.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
I like Luigi's
I like Pirate ship
I like Hanenbow

but ban them if you must... for the record i havent seen any of those stages completely screw someone out of a win.

D

Deleted member

Nate, it doesn't matter a **** if you don't play gay on Luigi's, the fact remains that I can say the same thing about Hyrule in Melee.

It's STILL Hyrule no matter how you play on the stage. You'll still live to ******** percents.

If people are saying Luigi's is only barely a counter-pick THIS early in Brawl metagame, believe me when I say it's in the best interest of all to ban it before it becomes stupid.

Top Bottom