• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official E3 2021 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Probably because they were farther in development with Roy and Ryu, who were both released almost immediately after their reveal. They didn't really need a third reveal.

And Cloud was revealed in November, not September. They may have not even had anything ready to show at that year's E3 in the first place. They did reveal him before the other two characters in Smash 4's second "wave" of DLC, so they still have him priority in a sense.
You say tomato, I say tomatoe.

The point is, we have gotten "Enormous" reveals outside of E3 before. I feel like people jumping on board to "It's gonna suck!"-ville are being a bit too fast. Sure, it "could" suck, and it very well could be a low-key reveal, but let's not assuming that it will either.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

The point is, we have gotten "Enormous" reveals outside of E3 before. I feel like people jumping on board to "It's gonna suck!"-ville are being a bit too fast. Sure, it "could" suck, and it very well could be a low-key reveal, but let's not assuming that it will either.
There is also the whole issue that what character “sucks” is very subjective anyways.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
On the first part, that is good to know.

On the second part, if what you say is true, then I am perhaps wrong about sales going down in the 3rd pass? I wish this was brought up sooner.

But I can definitely see the third pass happening, even if I don't expect it. There is demand for more characters after all, right? Still, even if he does take a vacation during the third pass, I do feel bad for Sakurai with all that potential, additional work.
It will likely be lower sales no matter what- the question is, how much lower? If we continue to get characters like Steve and Sephiroth (such as, Sora and Master Chief, or many others), then it will still be well received. Obviously, many people will still buy it outright at the beginning. They could also sweeten it, if they desire, with Echo options, or AT's...they could end up removing stages. They could do a lot to differentiate it.

My initial point, long ago, was actually just about Sakurai- I don't feel badly for him, at all. Him taking a break is not a worthwhile reason, in my eyes, for their to be no more content. Give him a vacation. Fine. But this game is his legacy, and he can use nearly any video game character ever made. This is not an opportunity from which can so easily be walked away.

Noipoi

Howdy!

3BABEAFB-1457-4ACD-B11F-6AD2B63BC76C.jpeg

I’m not strong enough for this last round of smash speculation, Shroob…

It’s…too annoying…

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
While I definitely get the fatigue of 3+ years of speculation, I actually kind of welcome it.

I don't know if I'll have the same time to invest into speculation by the Smash 6 rolls around, so I'm fine with another 3 months being able to participate so heavily in the speculation scene.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Not saying it's doomed to be a disappointment, but I also think there's enough precedent for us to not be caught off gaurd when the last character isn't Sora with Master Chief as a bonus character.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
The more I keep rewatching Kazuya's trailer the more and more I begin to notice. This guy is going to be borderline NUTS if he works how I think he does. Wave dashes, parries, trip/crumble/stagger/juggle states...yeesh. Guy just outride bobs under a Hadouken which makes me wonder if that wave dash is axis manipulating (to simulate Tekken side stepping) and he can just weave through any projectile cuz the Hadouken is fairly large and his model isn't fully 'clearing' the Hadouken yet he slips right by.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It will likely be lower sales no matter what- the question is, how much lower? If we continue to get characters like Steve and Sephiroth (such as, Sora and Master Chief, or many others), then it will still be well received. Obviously, many people will still buy it outright at the beginning. They could also sweeten it, if they desire, with Echo options, or AT's...they could end up removing stages. They could do a lot to differentiate it.

My initial point, long ago, was actually just about Sakurai- I don't feel badly for him, at all. Him taking a break is not a worthwhile reason, in my eyes, for their to be no more content. Give him a vacation. Fine. But this game is his legacy, and he can use nearly any video game character ever made. This is not an opportunity from which can so easily be walked away.
Um, yeah, I don't see him hinting or saying anything about a third pass happening...yet, at least. It is not out of the question, but based on what he said before, I am not sure if a third pass would come to fruition, even if he is okay with doing it, and if he is okay, given where he is from, no surprise.

Even if there is a third pass, I just hope there are more andromorphic characters and cartoony characters rather than purely human/humanoid ones.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Um, yeah, I don't see him hinting or saying anything about a third pass happening...yet, at least. It is not out of the question, but based on what he said before, I am not sure if a third pass would come to fruition, even if he is okay with doing it, and if he is okay, given where he is from, no surprise.

Even if there is a third pass, I just hope there are more andromorphic characters and cartoony characters rather than purely human/humanoid ones.
Me too.
Frogger, Crash, Rayman, Spyro, Toad, Dixie, Red Bird... I could go on for a while.

Shroob

Sup?
....Minecraft
Right, but his track record in general for DLC has been poor compared to base game.

He got:

Hero
Minecraft

He was told:

Terry
Byleth

He did not outright leak but knew of:

Plant

He said nothing about:

Joker
Pythra
Min Min
Sephiroth

Completely blew up in his face:

Kazuya, he said it'd be the 4 BotW Champions and Master Chief due to a popular leak going around.

He got 4 things right, 1 of which he received from another leaker at the time, 1 he was only PM'd several minutes before the presentation(And did not know who it was beforehand), he saw Plant but refused to say anything, and didn't say anything about 4 characters. Today completely blew up in his face, because he bandwagoned onto a popular leak that he thought would happen.

ZelDan

Smash Master
ya know, as someone that:

1. Was hyped about Bayonetta's inclusion, and liked Byleth's inclusion
  2. Was unexcited by and didn't much care for Steve's inclusion
  3. Has a MW that would be considered high up on the hype tier
  4. Also has wanted characters on various lower levels of the hype tier
All the "hype/unhype", big/small", and "high note/low key" discussions are utterly pointless and agonizing for me.

So yeah, not looking forward to how discussion up to CP11 will go...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There is also the whole issue that what character “sucks” is very subjective anyways.
I'm trying to cater to the idea that cheaper to license characters would "suck" when I say the final character would be disappointing. I wouldn't be disappointed in such a character but I know plenty have been spoiled rotten by Steve joining the battle.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
....Minecraft
He said that before Ultimate was released, and wasn't sure Steve would be playable. For DLC he still wasn't sure and thought that Hitagi dude or whoever had a good source, then eventually assumed it was leakbait iirc, so idk if his words on Minecraft matter much(even if they were in talks for 5 years, they likely didn't make a deal until about 2019 or late 2018). Either way, I'm not doubting he had info, he clearly did, but he was still mainly backing up what others said for DLC even if his Minecraft stuff can be counted.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm trying to cater to the idea that cheaper to license characters would "suck" when I say the final character would be disappointing. I wouldn't be disappointed in such a character but I know plenty have been spoiled rotten by Steve joining the battle.
Okay, but you are not your Smash. Brother’s keeper. You’re not really going against the grain by saying CP11 could be lower-key, since it’s one of the most discussed points in speculation right now bar none. It’d be incredibly boring if not toxic to pretend you‘re bringing something unheard of to the table when you say CP11 might be not the most requested character right now, especially since it now directly borders onto
leak discussion with Vergeben

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Halo's Community Manager came out and said that Master Chief isn't in Smash Ultimate, although he was going to try and use E3 as an opportunity to discuss with Sakurai and Nintendo about adding Master Chief somewhere down the line.
It’s iffy on if a community manager would know about this or not. A community person from Mojang was trashing the idea of Steve in Smash a couple months before he was revealed. She clearly didn’t know he was happening since she’s since deleted the Tweets.

I think only top level people at third party companies would know about this. So in Halo’s case people like Phil Spencer, Bonnie Ross & Joseph Staten.

We’ll see though. There’s a chance that the higher ups told him to Tweet this out. 🤷

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
It apparently has a fan translation and is considered to be one of the best Digimon World games by some fans, which immediately makes me want to say "Digimother 3".

Would be cool to at least have a Mii-Costume; I feel like that would probably motivate a lot of people currently sleeping on the possibility to actually consider them as a possible request for the next Smash Bros game.

Also I can't help but think about this very strange dynamic...

Things the direct proved I was right about:

• We got another Bandai Namco rep
  • Lloyd was too obvious
  • Nintendo have a lot of respect for the Game&Watch/Tamagotchi model of gaming
  • We got a character from the Digimon Multiverse (which Tekken is technically set in)

Things I was wrong about:

- EVERYTHING ELSE
If that is the case, I will have to check out the game. I have heard that the Digimon games are not all that great and the writing is not anything to write home about even by the anime standards. Maybe this will convince me otherwise.

As for a Mii Costume, I have seen Digimon as a dark horse pick from Namco Bandai but like many, I expected Lloyd Irving to be added first. If Digimon continues to upheld its resurgence thanks to the reboot, we might see Agumon considered a contender for the next game. I expect third-parties to be a prominent part of Super Smash Bros.'s roster going forward. Even with cuts, I still think he could be on the table if enough of the stars align.

Also, what is the Digimon Multiverse? This is the first time I have heard about it and I would like to hear more. Especially since it is said everything is canon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom