• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official E3 2021 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well the best game in the franchise is considered to be Cyber Sleuth (though the translation is slightly off at points) and it tends to go for 20 on the Switch pretty regularly.

The Story games are better for regular RPG fun, the World games are the V-Pet RPG hybrids and tend not to be for most people.

Digimon is a multiverse; complete with parallel Earths and parallel Digital Worlds.

In some worlds the events of another world are often a piece of creative ficton. Most famously the first two anime are a TV series in the third and the protagonist of the most popular Wonder Swan games actually travelled between both appearing in the last arc of that anime.
Yeah, I can second this.

Cyber Sleuth is a fun game if you’re like me and love grinding for useless things that you don’t need, but if you’re here for anything resembling a story, you’ll be disappointed.

The game in general is designed pretty weirdly: I found myself often getting stuck and having to consult a guide because an NPC told me to to the wrong place or gave a hint that lead me on the wrong path.

I like that Smash is starting to go for more unusual choices from a series. Min Min instead of James, Pythra instead of Rex, and now Kazuya instead of Heihachi. I wonder if we'll see more of this in future games?
I'd be cool with it, as long as the characters are fan favorites or just as interesting as their more obvious counterparts. There are first party games that I'd even prefer got this treatment. Looking at you, FE

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Apparently WayFoward is working on the Advance Wars remake. Awesome!

I thought the character animations looked familiar.

Ivander

Smash Legend
This is canon to me.

This is what I was thinking when I re-watched the trailer. Just something at the bottom waiting to catch the others after Kazuya drops them.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Apparently WayFoward is working on the Advance Wars remake. Awesome!

I thought the character animations looked familiar.
...Huh.

They do vaguely remind me of Shantae animations, now that I think about it...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I like that Smash is starting to go for more unusual choices from a series. Min Min instead of Spring Man, Pythra instead of Rex, and now Kazuya instead of Heihachi. I wonder if we'll see more of this in future games?
You know if we got Off the Hook instead of Octoling I’d be unironically ok with that

just pls gimme their Chaos and Order alts 🥺

D

Deleted member

I like that Smash is starting to go for more unusual choices from a series. Min Min instead of Spring Man, Pythra instead of Rex, and now Kazuya instead of Heihachi. I wonder if we'll see more of this in future games?
In all seriousness, Min Min was picked because of the director's recommendation, Pyra/Mythra were a backup due to technical issues, and Kazuya is likely because of the unfortunate passing of Heihachi's VA. Regardless of the reasoning though it is nice to see more "secondary" characters getting picked over the obvious choice.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I know this is off topics but my buddies are here and the social thread is closed so uhhhhh

I applied to community college.

Wish me luck :nifty:
Hey dude
e5lqmkq0kx271.png

Good luck, bro.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Aight, DLC Speculation and The Social Thread are back open for business.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I said earlier that i would post my bingo after treehouse, and here it is
Nintendo E3 bingo.png

I did not get a lot of stuff, but I'm very pleased with what we got. Double dead franchise revival is ultra huge for sure. I'm really surprised about no Kirby tho, but oh well, this was still an amazing direct, even if I got no bingo (and yes, I count GnW Zelda as a new 2D Zelda).

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Keeping this thread open for a couple days or so. I probably closed the the thread a bit prematurely my b.

We still have a couple e3 stuff to go through including the awards show in a couple hours. Wonder what that'll entail

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Keeping this thread open for a couple days or so. I probably closed the the thread a bit prematurely my b.

We still have a couple e3 stuff to go through including the awards show in a couple hours. Wonder what that'll entail
The awards are just recognising most anticipated games right?

Don't think there'll be much beyond that.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Okay, gotta admit the thing I was hyped up the most besides getting a new Smash fighter was Mushihimesama coming to the Switch seeing as I'm a huge shmup fan and I really wanted to see more Cave shmups come to the US eShop.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Right, but his track record in general for DLC has been poor compared to base game.

He got:

Hero
Minecraft

He was told:

Terry
Byleth

He did not outright leak but knew of:

Plant

He said nothing about:

Joker
Pythra
Min Min
Sephiroth

Completely blew up in his face:

Kazuya, he said it'd be the 4 BotW Champions and Master Chief due to a popular leak going around.

He got 4 things right, 1 of which he received from another leaker at the time, 1 he was only PM'd several minutes before the presentation(And did not know who it was beforehand), he saw Plant but refused to say anything, and didn't say anything about 4 characters. Today completely blew up in his face, because he bandwagoned onto a popular leak that he thought would happen.
How does not saying anything about a character that comes, delegitimize the leaks he did get?
Being a reliable leaker does not mean being able to leak everything about a game.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
How does not saying anything about a character that comes, delegitimize the leaks he did get?
Being a reliable leaker does not mean being able to leak everything about a game.
I never said that?

What I said was that in terms of DLC, he got very, very little actually correct, basically because he only, and I mean ONLY leaked 2 things. Everything else he either piggybacked off of other leakers(Terry), was given to him like 5 minutes before by his own admission(Byleth), or he had no idea at all(Everything else).

So when he came back after a year and a half of radio silence, piggybacking off the current popular leak and going "OH YEAH THIS IS IT, I'M GONNA HIT IT BIG!", well, he didn't. In fact, it blew up in his face. He didn't know **** about the presentation. He latched onto the newest, hottest leak in an attempt to boost his credibility, and it failed, badly.

When Verge came back, people were acting like it was the 2nd coming of Christ, because "If Verg says it, it must be real, he's got good info!"... well, he didn't.

To put it simply, Verg basically became a celebrity who was big once, fell out of the public consciousness, and then only became famous again due to a scandal that the paparazzi covered. That's the current state of Vergeben. A washed up leaker with nothing left.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Personally I enjoyed the story of Cyber Sleuth; I mean its not as good as the earlier anime but it had more than enough great moments and hints of mystery to keep me interested; the translation just had a habit of messing up at very unfortunate times. If they'd just translated one word differently on a couple of occasions it wouldn't have broken my immersion during some cool spooky events.

What I will say for Cyber Sleuth is that I enjoyed it enough that it revitalised my affection for the franchise after Xros killed it (and honestly it and the card game being a blast are probably the main reason I've kept watching the reboot anime); and I have seen a fair few people people regard it as 'one of the best mon-genre games outside Pokémon' and more than a couple just flat out saying they enjoyed it more than Sword and Shield.

Digimon obviously isn't typically mechanically suited to comparison with Pokémon - as I understand it the World games arguably invite more comparison to the Chao Garden - but the Story games are the ones that probably should be working to invite positive comparisons on that front.

Oddly both Tamers to a degree and especially Cyber Sleuth lean away from 'isekai' aspects, but still manage to do some really cool things with the high concepts of Digimon in my opinion.
What is isekai, in your mind? (Meaning, versus my googling it)

Shroob

Sup?
What is isekai, in your mind? (Meaning, versus my googling it)
Being transported into another world and starting another life.

The premise of an isekai story is the main character usually being transported to a fantasy world, be it via inhabitants in said world summoning "a hero", a god's intervention, or death, and starting a new life in a fantasy setting.

It's basically just Japanese escapist fiction.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh... and to some of the above comments...

Min Min is absolutely the main character of ARMS. Just gonna throw that back out again.
Or rather, she is the mascot for it- aka, the most popular, known character.

The main characters for Tekken follow the entire Mishima line.

I didn't ever understand Pyra/Mythra, though. In the games- from my viewing- it looks like they never fight, they just are connected via energy to Rex. Is this incorrect? If so, I don't understand why Rex isn't the fighter, with Pyra or Mythra in the background, like Pokemon Trainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom