• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official E3 2021 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, working too hard is a problem in Japan, to the point that the term has it's own word (see below), it is the country with the highest suicide rates, and communities will hold vigils not for one, but for the many fallen victims to this state.

Karoshi

Karoshi (過労死, Karōshi), which can be translated literally as "overwork death", is a Japanese term relating to occupational sudden mortality. The most common medical causes of karoshi deaths are heart attacks or strokes due to stress and a starvation diet.
That’s literally how Kentaro Miura died, too…

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Anyway

we got a Heihachi Mii before Kazuya

we ALSO got a Squid Sisters Mii earlier in the pass

VEEMO IS INEVITABLE 🐙

…or Off the Hook, which I’d be fine with, if Figure Theory is real
Octolings feels like one of those characters Japanese Smash fans would be excited over.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Except for the dact tgere are still tons of first-party characters Smash fans would want in this game and be hyped over. There is a phenomenal difference between a character like Skull Kid, who would be heavily well-received, and someone like Ayumi, who has little fan demand.
I'm thinking "hype" in this case means "what sells the pass". Most first-party fan requests aren't going to help the pass all that much compared to Steve, Sephiroth, and maybe Kazuya, and that's okay because the pass would've already sold plenty.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I swear to God I get pushed back saying "hes an adult" every time I say Sakurai need to take a break. I was an adult while I was in college also and I had to be told to stay home after I stressed myself sick so I believe that sometimes it's reasonable to tell someone they need to take a break and I hope Sakurai takes one soon
Why does a break even need to mean the end of a project? This is a fallacy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As for miis, I predict the following with Kazuya

• Lloyd
  • Klonoa. Or maybe Valkyrie
  • Nightmare
  • Monokuma (Danganronpa Switch collection)
  • Still not backing down from that Hollow Knight Mii

7NATOR

Smash Master
Kazuya is Very Hype. there are 2 things I want to note

-I predict he's not gonna use the Normal Control scheme, as in he might not have Regular Grab and Shield, as those buttons might be used for Attacks to coincide with the Tekken Limb system

-That Projectile Glitch where moving forward made Projectiles just not hit, It seems to be for Kazuya, as when you seem him Dash toward Ken throwing Hadoken, it should hit but Kazuya just goes through it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Kazuya is Very Hype. there are 2 things I want to note

-I predict he's not gonna use the Normal Control scheme, as in he might not have Regular Grab and Shield, as those buttons might be used for Attacks to coincide with the Tekken Limb system

-That Projectile Glitch where moving forward made Projectiles just not hit, It seems to be for Kazuya, as when you seem him Dash toward Ken throwing Hadoken, it should hit but Kazuya just goes through it
The last thing, is that a canonical ability for Kazuya?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm thinking "hype" in this case means "what sells the pass". Most first-party fan requests aren't going to help the pass all that much compared to Steve, Sephiroth, and maybe Kazuya, and that's okay because the pass would've already sold plenty.
I love that you've had to amend this as much as you have over the course of this pass.
"Steve would already have sold the pass plenty"
"Steve and Sephiroth would have sold it plenty"
"Steve, Sephiroth AND Kazuya would have sold it plenty"

Maybe just stop clinging to this point tbh

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Except for the dact tgere are still tons of first-party characters Smash fans would want in this game and be hyped over. There is a phenomenal difference between a character like Skull Kid, who would be heavily well-received, and someone like Ayumi, who has little fan demand.
I think Skull Kid was just the Zelda fandom rallying behind a single character, when in reality, there was no front runner.
Which is a shame, because if we had gotten more world-representing characters early on, we could still be getting unique races and abilities from Hyrule.

At this point, my frontrunner Zelda pick is a Lynel- the real bosses of BOTW, going as far back as the first Zelda.

Shroob

Sup?
I love that you've had to amend this as much as you have over the course of this pass.
"Steve would already have sold the pass plenty"
"Steve and Sephiroth would have sold it plenty"
"Steve, Sephiroth AND Kazuya would have sold it plenty"

Maybe just stop clinging to this point tbh
Pretty much. Smash delivered hard. I'm not even a Tekken fan and I was like, "Wow, Tekken, that's big,"

It's like, yeah, 5/6 characters in and you still drop a bomb like that?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To be honest ESRB should probably have a PEGI 16 rating equivalent. We have E+10 for games that are too high for E and too low for T, so where's our T+16?

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be honest ESRB should probably have a PEGI 16 rating equivalent. We have E+10 for games that are too high for E and too low for T, so where's our T+16?
The steam game Hacknet has an unofficial “T15+” for games in between T and M, but like I said, it’s unofficial

great game btw I highly recommend it

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, working too hard is a problem in Japan, to the point that the term has it's own word (see below), it is the country with the highest suicide rates, and communities will hold vigils not for one, but for the many fallen victims to this state.

Karoshi

Karoshi (過労死, Karōshi), which can be translated literally as "overwork death", is a Japanese term relating to occupational sudden mortality. The most common medical causes of karoshi deaths are heart attacks or strokes due to stress and a starvation diet.

I don't see how adding more characters is a bad idea. The explanation would be that, after those statements were said, they added more. It is in no way different than what companies normally do- like stating that there is no new Switch upgrade, before we finally get one.
"All for nothing," what is the all? The statement that there is no more? What is lost in this scenario?
If you wish to continue this, well, the thing is, it is rather complicated, if my other post meant anything.

On one hand, a third pass does print money, in fact I can see them doing a third pass, and I would be all for it as I said.

On the other hand, while I can wait, like you could, others may not, and things over time, a number of characters in the third pass over a long time would be tiring eventually.

So, I guess some interest from others would be lost? Unless you have something to counter that idea.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Regarding the last character, I'll just say this:

E3 is when Nintendo has their largest audience of the year. If they had one more massive character who would convince people to buy the entire pass, why on earth would they go for a random fall Direct instead? Kazuya alone is already sort of less than the Crash and Master Chief level reveals people had their hearts set on.

This last character could be anything. Maybe another third-party, maybe another first-party. Either way, I'm convinced we're ending things off with another Incineroar/Piranha Plant or Byleth character; someone sort of controversial.

D

Deleted member

I don't even know who my pfp's canon name is, but man put him in Smash.
View attachment 319353
Wow. When I first saw the trailer, I thought that was a female at first, but eventually acknowledged the opposite later on in the moment looking at the rests of his design. Awfully pretty that youngster is.

I haven't played a Persona game in ages, so this will be a buy for me.

Shroob

Sup?

E3 is when Nintendo has their largest audience of the year. If they had one more massive character who would convince people to buy the entire pass, why on earth would they go for a random fall Direct instead? Kazuya alone is already sort of less than the Crash and Master Chief level reveals people had their hearts set on.

This last character could be anything. Maybe another third-party, maybe another first-party. Either way, I'm convinced we're ending things off with another Incineroar/Piranha Plant or Byleth character; someone sort of controversial.
At the same time, why would they save Cloud for a September Direct?

Cloud-friggen-Strife.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well going to hop on Ayumi or Arle Nadja being the last character. Still Kazuya got me hyped and I am glad Namco got another character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If you wish to continue this, well, the thing is, it is rather complicated, if my other post meant anything.

On one hand, a third pass does print money, in fact I can see them doing a third pass, and I would be all for it as I said.

On the other hand, while I can wait, like you could, others may not, and things over time, a number of characters in the third pass over a long time would be tiring eventually.

So, I guess some interest from others would be lost? Unless you have something to counter that idea.
I hear your point, I just don't think it is valid. Entertainment, and art, cannot be made with the consideration of those who don't want it- they are lost. Both are made for those who do want it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I hear your point, I just don't think it is valid. Entertainment, and art, cannot be made with the consideration of those who don't want it- they are lost. Both are made for those who do want it.
So, you are saying it is okay if not too many people are interested any longer in something like this? And maybe some people not buying the third pass of any of its characters will matter to Nintendo, even if there are a lot of them?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Cloud-friggen-Strife.
We haven't really gotten something like that with Ultimate though. Regular Directs have given us Terry, a smaller third party, and Pyra & Mythra, a first party.

Also I'd say that Kazuya is somewhat of a compromise between mainstream and niche. Somewhat. He's from a best-selling fighting game series, but Jin or Heihachi would be more familiar to casuals, as Jin is on more Tekken games' boxart and is the protagonist of the most Tekkens out of any while Heihachi is pushed as Tekken's mascot more. However, those two and Kazuya all make up Tekken's main trio of characters.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Fascinating. The Digimon game she appeared in looks like a Japan-only title though. Now to see if Agumon shows up as a Mii Costume.
It apparently has a fan translation and is considered to be one of the best Digimon World games by some fans, which immediately makes me want to say "Digimother 3".

Would be cool to at least have a Mii-Costume; I feel like that would probably motivate a lot of people currently sleeping on the possibility to actually consider them as a possible request for the next Smash Bros game.

Also I can't help but think about this very strange dynamic...

Things the direct proved I was right about:

• We got another Bandai Namco rep
  • Lloyd was too obvious
  • Nintendo have a lot of respect for the Game&Watch/Tamagotchi model of gaming
  • We got a character from the Digimon Multiverse (which Tekken is technically set in)

Things I was wrong about:

- EVERYTHING ELSE

7NATOR

Smash Master
The last thing, is that a canonical ability for Kazuya?
That Particular Wavedash is Mist step. Kazuya goes low to the ground, and he could do several of Iconic moves from the step. Heihachi and Devil Jin also have this

In Tekken, it can be used to Duck attacks if used at the right time. I'm unsure if Kazuya could go through Projectiles in Tekken 7 (more particular against Akuma), but this might be how it's implemented in Smash, maybe so Kazuya has a tool to deal with Zoning. in the footage, the Hadoken looks like it should hit, but it doesn't

Cloud-friggen-Strife.
I will say that Smash 4 DLC wasn't as planned out as Ultimate DLC, which has entire pass DLC was planned around. And Cloud also wasn't the last character

But I actually agree with what you are saying though. I think the September Direct character (or earlier for whatever reason) could go any type of way.

I will say that Tekken perhaps has a more global appeal compared to Crash Bandicoot and Halo, or at the least, it's more balanced in terms of regions.

Shroob

Sup?
We haven't really gotten something like that with Ultimate though. Regular Directs have given us Terry, a smaller third party, and Pyra & Mythra, a first party.

Also I'd say that Kazuya is somewhat of a compromise between mainstream and niche. Somewhat. He's from a best-selling fighting game series, but Jin or Heihachi would be more familiar to casuals, as Jin is on more Tekken games' boxart and is the protagonist of the most Tekkens out of any while Heihachi is pushed as Tekken's mascot more. However, those two and Kazuya all make up Tekken's main trio of characters.
I mean, we got Steve just last year in September.

We can all mental gymnastics however we want that Steve was meant for E3, but at the end of the day, he was revealed in a bog-standard Sakurai presents.

I think it's perfectly okay to be excited, while leaving the door open for a potential "Meh" end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom