• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official E3 2021 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This, my friends, make the theory of "only characters from companies already present in the game in FP2" even stronger.
About as sensible as my new theory-
The characters can only start with the letters K, M, P, or S.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I swear to God I get pushed back saying "hes an adult" every time I say Sakurai need to take a break. I was an adult while I was in college also and I had to be told to stay home after I stressed myself sick so I believe that sometimes it's reasonable to tell someone they need to take a break and I hope Sakurai takes one soon

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait

lemme go back to Figure Theory real quick

does Kazuya have figurines of himself???

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's not really about that. I did not say angry, just not happy. On that, people do not want to wait between large gaps for more characters. Also:

So, unless they change how DLC is released and say something about DLC not ending before the third pass is announced in any way, I am not sure if this will be that good of an idea for fans.

Plus, let's face it, Sakurai deserves a vacation.
I would be fine waiting half a year between character releases. For me, and I don't think I am alone, the excitement is partially from the knowledge that more are coming.

Also... Sakurai can take a vacation. As I said earlier, many people are forced to work just to survive... I think it is crazy to say a product should stop so a man can take a break. Not only is there any reason both couldn't happen, but it's also just a human need to be able to relax- Sakurai is no different than anyone else. If only the people who claim this for Sakurai were willing to be half as politically active to ensure those rights for the millions of people who don't have that option.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I swear to God I get pushed back saying "hes an adult" every time I say Sakurai need to take a break. I was an adult while I was in college also and I had to be told to stay home after I stressed myself sick so I believe that sometimes it's reasonable to tell someone they need to take a break and I hope Sakurai takes one soon
Whether or not he needs to take a break doesn't mean he definitely will. Some people are just natually workaholics, regardless of whether or not they live in a nation where that's mandatory.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Keep in mind that making fun video games is literally Sakurai's job. I know he's been doing Smash for a long time now, but that's kinda how things work for any other person who has a job. Most people don't have the option to just randomly take a couple months off work because they've been working on a project for several years.

I'm sure Sakurai will get a small break once Ultimate finally ends, but it probably won't be long before he picks up his next project. He's got a whole team of people who need work.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I think the last character can be literally anything. Maybe they broke the pattern of “smash character reveal cycle ends with low note”.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Keep in mind that making fun video games is literally Sakurai's job. I know he's been doing Smash for a long time now, but that's kinda how things work for any other person who has a job. Most people don't have the option to just randomly take a couple months off work because they've been working on a project for several years.

I'm sure Sakurai will get a small break once Ultimate finally ends, but it probably won't be long before he picks up his next project. He's got a whole team of people who need work.
Another thing to note is that the Switch is in its fourth year and Nintendo consoles typically have a 5-7 year lifespan before their successor is released. For all we know, the only reason why there isn’t a third pass despite the DLC success is that Sakurai is going to work on the next game for the next system after taking a small break.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Teaching kids is also a teachers job, yet they have to work while sick or hurt as well. Neither sakurai or teachers working themselves hurt is worth it. But i guess "Its their jooob"

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I would be fine waiting half a year between character releases. For me, and I don't think I am alone, the excitement is partially from the knowledge that more are coming.

Also... Sakurai can take a vacation. As I said earlier, many people are forced to work just to survive... I think it is crazy to say a product should stop so a man can take a break. Not only is there any reason both couldn't happen, but it's also just a human need to be able to relax- Sakurai is no different than anyone else. If only the people who claim this for Sakurai were willing to be half as politically active to ensure those rights for the millions of people who don't have that option.
Heh heh! You TRULY aren't alone there. I am also fine with waiting. Most of my life is about waiting.

I am just trying to speak for some others, that is all.

I do think he does deserve a vacation, Sakurai, that is, but I have to be more honest. What you said is not invalid either. I personally would like to see hints leading to a third pass, but it is quite well possible for Nintendo to make him do another, third pass.

In fact, I'd be foolish and in denial if I were to fully outright deny that.

For now though, we are presumably close to the end of Ultimate's DLC thing. I would not be upset if there was a third pass. I'd welcome it, in fact. I am just worried for fans who don't, if you know what I mean.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I've always found the "second chance" theory a bit silly because it implies they haven't been floating ideas on and off for the past ~five years. Obviously there'll be a few fighters here and there that were thought of before but, for one reason or another, canned for the time being. There certainly wouldn't be some rule regarding it - some quota to fill with "second chances."
If this is gonna be Sakurai's last smash game, I can kinda see him wanting to tie up a few last ends before he quits.

I agree that Second Chances theory isn't much use for speculation, though. Let's say it's completely true - how many characters has Sakurai considered and never publicly mentioned? We're looking at a small handful of interviews and articles, and assuming that's the whole picture. It's possible Sakurai might have really wanted to add Little Samson but never told anyone, and finally got the chance to do it in Ultimate. It was a second chance - but it was irrelevant to our speculation.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Say, would Kazuya fit the "second chance" idea that's been thrown around for FP2? I guess there was already Tekken content in the game which is now expanded, but otherwise I dunno, more likely Tekken got in because... it's Tekken.
He absolutely fits this idea.
As would, say, Dixie Kong, or Balloon Fighter.
Probably many more...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Any first party character.
Except for the dact tgere are still tons of first-party characters Smash fans would want in this game and be hyped over. There is a phenomenal difference between a character like Skull Kid, who would be heavily well-received, and someone like Ayumi, who has little fan demand.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So I was feeling pretty sad at the time, but holy crap that trailer was ****ing incredible:

View attachment 319354
In this picture, Kirby's like... 12 inches or what? His canon size is said to be 8 inches but many Kirby fans refuse to accept it, most of them believe that his Smash size is the more accurate one... though this trailer is showing a much smaller Kirby after all... not 8 inches but still.
I believe Kirby actually IS 8 inches tall, but he's never represented as such because when he crossovers with other series the proportions are never accurate.
People used to take Samus' appearance in Kirby's Dream Land 3 as a proof, but that really tells nothing, just look at the early Final Fantasy games and how characters change from chibi to more realistic proportions depending on if they are in the world map or in a fight.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It doesn't matter if you think he deserves a vacation, he lives in a nation where his workaholism is considered perfectly normal. I know I already mentioned Japanese work culture to you, but it's a HUGE problem in Japan, and Sakurai is just one example. There's probably plenty of other guys associated with Nintendo working themselves to death too, and they're not taking breaks either.
Yeah, working too hard is a problem in Japan, to the point that the term has it's own word (see below), it is the country with the highest suicide rates, and communities will hold vigils not for one, but for the many fallen victims to this state.

Karoshi

Karoshi (過労死, Karōshi), which can be translated literally as "overwork death", is a Japanese term relating to occupational sudden mortality. The most common medical causes of karoshi deaths are heart attacks or strokes due to stress and a starvation diet.

Maybe, but at this point, with the reasons I gave, I don't think money will be enough. They'll likely have to make hints of some kind that a third pass is coming before it is announced. Otherwise, a surprise announcement would ruin the whole "end of Ultimate's DLC" and "make it all for nothing" if you know what I mean, which isn't always that good for reasons.
I don't see how adding more characters is a bad idea. The explanation would be that, after those statements were said, they added more. It is in no way different than what companies normally do- like stating that there is no new Switch upgrade, before we finally get one.
"All for nothing," what is the all? The statement that there is no more? What is lost in this scenario?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom