• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official E3 2021 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I am very curious as to why they announced the Heihachi costume alongside Min Min instead of Kazuya.

Maybe they knew most of the community had their eyes on a Namco character during both Fighter's Passes and brought back Heihachi's costume early as a deliberate red herring?

If so, bravo Sakurai. I can't speak for the whole community, but it got me to change from predicting a Tekken character in this pass (albeit the wrong one) to assuming Tekken was off the table.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Regarding the last character, I'll just say this:

E3 is when Nintendo has their largest audience of the year. If they had one more massive character who would convince people to buy the entire pass, why on earth would they go for a random fall Direct instead?
To stay in the news cycle/online discussion and keep people talking about the game for longer. Alternatively, the next character isn't actually ready to be shown.

Not saying the last fighter is going to be 'big' by whatever metric Smash fans want to use, but thinking they're calculatedly saving a character fewer people are likely to care about for last is misguided IMO.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, you are saying it is okay if not too many people are interested any longer in something like this? And maybe some people not buying the third pass of any of its characters will matter to Nintendo, even if there are a lot of them?
There is a general diminishing of returns for any DLC on a game- the further out the date from it's initial release, the more DLC released, the less return is generally seen on it.

As far as Smash goes? There will be four camps.
1- People who say they are not interested, but still speculate, create content, and stay involved.
2- People who say they want more, and will stay tuned.
3- People who want more, but then become disinterested.
4- People who were not interested before, but become interested.

It doesn't matter, for any creation, that some people won't want it, when others will.

Furthermore, in this scenario, since there are so many companies that have come forward saying that they want their character in Smash, there could be a lot of reason for Nintendo to keep it going.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So

is treehouse still going

tbh i only want Splatoon 3 info now I am starving

Staarih

Smash Master
I am very curious as to why they announced the Heihachi costume alongside Min Min instead of Kazuya.
I'll have to see what costumes Kazuya comes with first to make any sort of guesses about this. Maybe there's a bunch of Namco costumes coming and to make it less excessive, one older costumer in the form of Heihachi was thrown with Min Min as it fits the theme (fighting character) better than Lloyd would - though Lloyd is definitely coming with Kazuya now.

Or then it's all just random lol.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
imagine being Mario Galaxy 2 and Life is Strange 2...neither on the Switch

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We haven't really gotten something like that with Ultimate though. Regular Directs have given us Terry, a smaller third party, and Pyra & Mythra, a first party.

Also I'd say that Kazuya is somewhat of a compromise between mainstream and niche. Somewhat. He's from a best-selling fighting game series, but Jin or Heihachi would be more familiar to casuals, as Jin is on more Tekken games' boxart and is the protagonist of the most Tekkens out of any while Heihachi is pushed as Tekken's mascot more. However, those two and Kazuya all make up Tekken's main trio of characters.
E3's of ULTIMATE have given us Ridley, Banjo and Kazooie, Hero, probably Steve, possibly Min Min*, and Kazuya.
Non E3 directs have given us Simon, K.Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar, Piranha, Joker, Sephiroth, Pyra, Mythra, Terry, Byleth, and possibly Min Min.

Honestly, I think the argument can be made that E3 reveals have not been the biggest.

(*I don't actually think Min Min was planned for E3- I think she was planned for early 2020, but Covid..)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Though I would be for a third pass, I am still not sure if it is that good of an idea. I mean, doesn't DLC for any game tend to dwindle over time in terms of sales and
There is a general diminishing of returns for any DLC on a game- the further out the date from it's initial release, the more DLC released, the less return is generally seen on it.

As far as Smash goes? There will be four camps.
1- People who say they are not interested, but still speculate, create content, and stay involved.
2- People who say they want more, and will stay tuned.
3- People who want more, but then become disinterested.
4- People who were not interested before, but become interested.

It doesn't matter, for any creation, that some people won't want it, when others will.

Furthermore, in this scenario, since there are so many companies that have come forward saying that they want their character in Smash, there could be a lot of reason for Nintendo to keep it going.
Yeah, we probably don't know how much the DLC for this game has been brought, and we probably never will, but would Nintendo think it was worth it if there are far less sales than before in the first two passes?

If they did not, surely that would be on them. I am just hoping you don't think a third pass is really for sure, or are too hopeful for it to happen. I mean, hopeful is not bad, but too hopeful...you know.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'll leave Tree House on here and there, but TBH I'm pretty much tuned out of E3 now. I don't need to see more of these games, I'm pretty much sold on buying them on launch day if I have the time and money for them lol.

I'm gonna go play some games before I gotta head back to work tomorrow. Y'all have a fun rest of the event, it was wild! :dr^_^:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Huge congrats to Tekken fans for sticking through, lmao. Seriously, this was a long time coming and I totally was not expecting it after Heihachi's costume returned alongside Min Min. Well deserved and looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Fingers crossed for some Tekken 4 bangers, personally.

Also, Metroid Dread looks unbelievable. Probably straight up my most anticipated game right now.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So we got, a cool looking Smash character, a new Mario Party, Super Monkey ball 20th anniversary game Advance Wars coming back, Danganronpa switch ports and Super Robot Wars's 30th anniversary game.

Overall i think i got a good selection to try from this E3.

Mario Party is definitely one i'll be picking up day 1, i was waiting to see if Danganronpa would come to Switch to try it out.
Super Monkey Ball was my childhood so THAT is definitely on the list and i hope to see some interesting stuff in this new Robot Wars title, the other 3 Switch game had some pretty cool newcomers so i'm hoping this one ends up having some as well.

(And yes i'm counting Robot wars as an E3 reveal even though it wasnt in the E3 direct it was in the Japanese direct.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think we're only getting info on games they showed with a "Treehouse Live" logo during the presentation, like WarioWare and SMTV.
I could potentially see some reveals/announcements for smaller games being thrown in - from what I recall, Metroid: Samus Returns (the 3DS remake) wasn't even mentioned in the Direct, and it was only shown off in the Treehouse stream. (though in that case, the stream was over several days, whereas I think this one is just a few hours)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Though I would be for a third pass, I am still not sure if it is that good of an idea. I mean, doesn't DLC for any game tend to dwindle over time in terms of sales and

Yeah, we probably don't know how much the DLC for this game has been brought, and we probably never will, but would Nintendo think it was worth it if there are far less sales than before in the first two passes?

If they did not, surely that would be on them. I am just hoping you don't think a third pass is really for sure, or are too hopeful for it to happen. I mean, hopeful is not bad, but too hopeful...you know.
I'm optimistic for a third pass- I do not expect it. I simply want it, and see many good reasons for it, more so than reasons not to have it.
As far as sales? I don't recall ever seeing numbers or proof of anything, though I do recall hearing (not confirming) that this second pass sold well, more than Nintendo expected.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As far as in this exact moment, off the top of my head, my top five most wanted characters are...going to be broken up into Nintendo and third party.

1 Scorpion
2 Lara Croft
3 Crash Bandicoot
4 Rayman
5 Frogger

1 Isaac
2 Dixie Kong
3 Captain Toad
4 Chibi Robo
5 Balloon Fighter

Anyway, I guess I’ll no longer follow leaks

and also #VergebenIsOverParty
Vergeben has been wrong before- such as, "Hero is the first DLC," and "Minecraft Content."
They more or less ended up accurate.
Maybe this is a sign that Master Chief will kick off FP3! (Again, just optimistic)

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm optimistic for a third pass- I do not expect it. I simply want it, and see many good reasons for it, more so than reasons not to have it.
As far as sales? I don't recall ever seeing numbers or proof of anything, though I do recall hearing (not confirming) that this second pass sold well, more than Nintendo expected.
On the first part, that is good to know.

On the second part, if what you say is true, then I am perhaps wrong about sales going down in the 3rd pass? I wish this was brought up sooner.

But I can definitely see the third pass happening, even if I don't expect it. There is demand for more characters after all, right? Still, even if he does take a vacation during the third pass, I do feel bad for Sakurai with all that potential, additional work.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
and also #VergebenIsOverParty
I really can't be bothered to argue in Vergeben's favor for the next three months, but seeing how he leaked Simon around E3 and he didn't show up for a few months later... and the whole Minecraft ordeal, I really wouldn't be so confident that this last rumor won't pan out seeing how we still have one character left. We haven't exactly reached the expiration date so it feels like people are jumping the gun.

Honestly after today and knowing how intolerable speculation will be moving forward, I'm probably largely done talking about it. If it's you know who then that's awesome, if it's not then that will probably be a cool surprise too. All in all though I know conversations will boil down to Verge vs the World for a while and I'm not particularly looking forward to that.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At the same time, why would they save Cloud for a September Direct?

Cloud-friggen-Strife.
Probably because they were farther in development with Roy and Ryu, who were both released almost immediately after their reveal. They didn't really need a third reveal.

And Cloud was revealed in November, not September. They may have not even had anything ready to show at that year's E3 in the first place. They did reveal him before the other two characters in Smash 4's second "wave" of DLC, so they still gave him priority in a sense.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I really can't be bothered to argue in Vergeben's favor for the next three months, but seeing how he leaked Simon around E3 and he didn't show up for a few months later... and the whole Minecraft ordeal, I really wouldn't be so confident that this last rumor won't pan out seeing how we still have one character left.

Honestly after today and knowing how intolerable speculation will be moving forward, I'm probably largely done talking about it. If it's you know who then that's awesome, if it's not then that will probably be a cool surprise too. All in all though I know conversations will boil down to Verge vs the World for a while and I'm not particularly looking forward to that.
Halo's Community Manager came out and said that Master Chief isn't in Smash Ultimate, although he was going to try and use E3 as an opportunity to discuss with Sakurai and Nintendo about adding Master Chief somewhere down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom