• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 Rumor/Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Of course, I feel the inherent desire to illuminate this notion: that is subjective. We do not NEED a Donkey Kong character, whereas we could actually use a Zelda character that does not have a Triforce printed on the back of their hand. The point is moot if the leak is real (which I highly doubt). I could see Kid Icarus (Hades) taking another character before Donkey Kong.
I didn't say we needed a new DK character, either. I said we should have one over a third Kid Icarus character. DK is much, much bigger than Kid Icarus, which has only barely seen a revival. DK got a revival recently, as well, just as big as KI, if not bigger, and then recently got yet another game, too. And honestly Diddy Kong should've been in Melee.

EDIT: Although a good reasoning I can see against Diddy being in Melee is that they originally wanted him to be paired up with Dixie Kong, and it was only when that didn't work they finally just settled on Diddy being his own character.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I find this roster empty, no more Starfox, no more Mario, no more Dk, no more Zelda, no more Kirby... but well, it could be worse, like the brawl roster reveal (I remember the guys whou couldn't believe the 35 characters or also the Rob character who looked impossible, and even the Zelda slot splitted in two... good ol' time)
People are arguing tooth and nail against having 3 Star Fox reps, so I really doubt a 4th rep would be received positively. Mario and Zelda are fine as is in my opinion, although there are definitely characters that could be implemented. I honestly think that every character in this roster has "merit" in that I can easily defend their inclusion even if I don't necessarily want them in. It is a very diverse mix of characters and playstyles and has the one thing Brawl was lacking: new IPs (to Smash.) Mike Jones is honestly the odd man out, though, as (although I like him) it would seem like a slap in the face to Japanese gamers to include both him and Little Mac without a complimentary Japanese character.

Donkey Kong Country has become a marquee title since it's return, which is why it would be odd to not see it get another rep.

My top 5 most wanted new comers coming into SSB4 were Palutena, Shulk, Megaman, Little Mac, and Ridley, so I might be a wee bit biased though.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
In a week we will know anyway ; if we get Mike Jones and Ridley or Hades and Ridley, we can say that the leak is trustworthy. Else it's just a common fake. At least it won't last too long, opposite to the Sal Romano one.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I just hope Shulk is revealed at E3, so I can stop pretending to not hate the Sal leak.

...kidding. Kind of. Mostly.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Well it could be 10 columns, 5 rows + one row not complete, something like this ;

We would be closer from melee. And brawl was a bit unorganized until you unlocked all the characters.
Sorry Startropics fans, a playable Mike Jones would be a massive, massive insult. Thank god Sakurai would never, ever add him. Also, Kid Icarus is one of my favorite games of all time and Hades is easily one of my favorite video game characters of all time, but if Kid Icarus gets three reps and Donkey Kong doesn't, it would almost be as big of an insult as Mike Jones being playable.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Sorry Startropics fans, a playable Mike Jones would be a massive, massive insult. Thank god Sakurai would never, ever add him. Also, Kid Icarus is one of my favorite games of all time and Hades is easily one of my favorite video game characters of all time, but if Kid Icarus gets three reps and Donkey Kong doesn't, it would almost be as big of an insult as Mike Jones being playable.
Pretty much exactly how I feel AND I love Kid Icarus and Star Tropics. Hades is fine if DK gets another rep, all my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Pretty much exactly how I feel AND I love Kid Icarus and Star Tropics. Hades is fine if DK gets another rep, all my opinion of course.
Guys I really don't know if there is any star tropic fan here, no need to ask them to be calm when they don't even exist.
Personally I'm european and don't even know what game it is.

CaSTEELO

Smash Rookie
NNID
CaSTEELO
3DS FC
0963-0535-1293
Except, if anyone were to come up with the idea, it'd have been Nintendo, not Sakurai.

And I don't see how it'd make Sakurai a liar. Both games would still have the same roster. A single character difference, to entice people to buy both, which would unlock in both (thus making it still the same roster) isn't a lie.

You'd have to be stupid to think Nintendo doesn't want you to buy both versions. The games have different stages, different modes, and different features. There's already enough to justify buying both and ONE character missing from each roster unless you own both isn't really a crazy or offensive idea.

Like, why would this suddenly be ridiculous when Nintendo has already done it on with Mario Golf/Tennis on N64/GBC, and with Pokemon to an extent? It also ensures that they entice people to buy the Wii U version instead of going DERR WELL I HAVE THE 3DS ONE, SO I'M GOOD.

In fact, I thought this was a no-brainer from DAY 1 when they said they connected. I assumed the 3DS game would have handheld-specific newcomers and the Wii U would have console-specific newcomers and you could unlock the exclusives in the opposite version by owning both.
I don't see this happening as people that aren't able to buy both versions would feel cheated out of a character. Besides, there are better ways of getting people to buy both versions. Having to buy both versions to unlock every character would seem like a cheap way of getting people to buy both games IMO. One character missing from the roster if you don't own both versions would be offensive to many people, including me (and I'm buying both versions).

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This is my cynical side speaking, but considering how much more Nintendo love, and just outright favoritism, Japanese gamers get over the rest of us on a daily basis, I wouldn't bat an eye if we did get Mike and they didn't get another retro character catered towards them.

Considering they get games, and more of them, way before we do 9 out of 10 times, I can't help but feel rather irked when we have something go the way we want with a Nintendo game that they don't like or care about. I think their reaction to Little Mac is what really made me feel that way.

But realistically it would be best for all if there was a balance between Japanese and Western-based characters, my cynicism aside.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
This is my cynical side speaking, but considering how much more Nintendo love, and just outright favoritism, Japanese gamers get over the rest of us on a daily basis, I wouldn't bat an eye if we did get Mike and they didn't get another retro character catered towards them.

Considering they get games, and more of them, way before we do 9 out of 10 times, I can't help but feel rather irked when we have something go the way we want with a Nintendo game that they don't like or care about. I think their reaction to Little Mac is what really made me feel that way.

But realistically it would be best for all if there was a balance between Japanese and Western-based characters, my cynicism aside.
Dude they got many Nes retro characters already, time for the west to get some too.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This is the last time I'm going to bring up the thread rules. Based on the last rumor thread you all should know what qualifies as off topic discussion. If you wish to discuss characters go to either the character's respective thread or to the Character Discussion thread.

The Rules

However, as we know from previous rumor/leak-related threads that often they tend to devolve into insanity quickly so please be mindful of these following criteria before you post:

1. Is the rumor or leak substantial? Is it a legit rumor or leak with substantial evidence backing it? If you are unsure, please contact myself @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom or any other of the Smash 4 mods to ask if it is ok to post a rumor or leak. I assure that we do not bite.
  2. If you post a rumor or leak, please cite the source with a proper link and the original author if possible. If there is a picture or video, please post that as well.
  3. Do not create and distribute rumors or leaks of E3. Doing so will award you with an infraction.
  4. Discuss only E3-related rumors and/or leaks. Therefore, rumors and leaks (such as the Palutena leak) are strictly prohibited and will award you an infraction. However, the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak is permissible only if it is related to E3. Discussing it outside of the E3 context will be infraction worthy. To discuss the aforementioned leak, go to here.
  5. Please stay on topic. Discussion of E3 related topics is permissible but keep the focus on the active rumors and leaks. Straying off topic will result in warnings from moderators and infractions if it continues.
  6. Please be civil. Do not offend others that might have a different opinion from yours and treat others with respect. Unnecessary trolling or flaming will result in infractions.
  7. This thread extends to E3, the Nintendo Display, the Super Smash Bros. Invitational, and the Super Smash Bros. SmashFest @ Best Buy. Therefore, rumors and leaks pertaining to non-Nintendo\Smash subjects is ok but please keep the majority of the discussion on Smash.
  8. Once the Super Smash Bros. portion of E3 including the Invitational and SmashFest is over, this thread will be locked and closed.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I want both Hades and K Rool, so I'm not going to choose between on or the other.
I didn't know we were picking side. Hmmmm.

#TeamKRool
#TeamHades

Good thing we don't actually have to do that. Watch Hades get in and get Gannondorfs old moveset.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I didn't know we were picking side. Hmmmm.

#TeamKRool
#TeamHades

Good thing we don't actually have to do that. Watch Hades get in and get Gannondorfs old moveset.
Ganondorf getting Mewtwo's moveset confirmed.

Oh, btw, in the same leak, Hades and Ganon share the same trailer. What do you think about it ? Isn't it a bit odd to reveal two characters from different series, contrary to Charizard and Greninja ?

Oh, btw, in the same leak, Hades and Ganon share the same trailer. What do you think about it ? Isn't it a bit odd to reveal two characters from different series, contrary to Charizard and Greninja ?
They are the 2 most evil Nintendo characters. One's the King of the Underworld and the other is the Prince of Evil.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Didn't they also say Ridley was going to be in the trailer? I think it was hinted at being a "villains trailer" at that point, which I could see happening.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Didn't they also say Ridley was going to be in the trailer? I think it was hinted at being a "villains trailer" at that point, which I could see happening.
The exact quote ;

It's 3:41 right now & I finally finished my work. Taking a bit of a break to unwind. For those who don't know me or forgot, I came here a while ago revealing what was about to be revealed E3 (confirmations of Hades, Ganondorf, and the teasing of Ridley). There is sadly a change of plans regarding the trailer with Hades and Ganondorf apparently; and the folks over at tree house are currently working on a different "pair" (veteran/newcomer) of reveal to be shown.

I came here to simply list what I'm aware of so far. This will be shown all in due time, and since E3 and summer release is so close I figured I ought to let out a steady stream of info. So previously, I've mentioned that Hades, Ganondorf, and Ridley are coming to the roster. I will let out 3 more characters for you to rest easy about until I see you all on Tuesday. Also some extra goodies I point out through implications.

3 more characters to be in the final roster:

1) Mike Jones. He fully utilizes all of his abilities and array of items he has in the games.

I wanted to get this out of the way because this is possibly ONE of the reasons for the E3 change of plans. Tanabe in tandem with Retro have been working on Star Tropics for quite a while; and it's one of their main hopes to become a hit and demonstrate what they are capable of. If you haven't gotten the hint, it'll be shown in this upcoming direct from Nintendo.

2) Lucas from MOTHER 3

Previous fans who have used him won't be too bewildered; he hasn't changed much at his core. He has had a few aesthetic distinctions from Ness, and most of his faults have been reduced. He's changed as much as Toon Link changed, if that makes sense

3) Chibi Robo

Following in Captain Olimars foots of being a little guy (and IP) with a very big heart. He utilizes many of his various antics from his games; such as the side sweep (in which he cleans the competition).
Dunno if it implies Ridley too.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
If Hades, Ganondorf, and Ridley were revealed, we'd have perhaps the three most sinister characters Nintendo has to offer.. They'd be like the Tri-Force, but Power, Power, Power. I've been predicting a villainous event of reveals at E3 for awhile now, and if this happens and we get KK Rool and Mewtwo I think we'd have a beautiful evil doers line up. It's asking a lot but if it happens I will be in a hype coma for the entirety of time between E3 and the release.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
If Hades, Ganondorf, and Ridley were revealed, we'd have perhaps the three most sinister characters Nintendo has to offer.. They'd be like the Tri-Force, but Power, Power, Power. I've been predicting a villainous event of reveals at E3 for awhile now, and if this happens and we get KK Rool and Mewtwo I think we'd have a beautiful evil doers line up. It's asking a lot but if it happens I will be in a hype coma for the entirety of time between E3 and the release.
Well the leak implies Ganon and Hades will not appear at E3, and instead a Veteran with Mike will appear. Wait & See, but technically, if we even have Ganon and Hades, it'll be opposite to what he said.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A great sniff test for false E3 leaks: does it mention new games from Metroid, Star Fox, "a new IP," or Startropics? If so, it's garbage, because all of those, with the possible exception of Metroid, are wishful thinking at this point in the Wii U's lifespan. They're also the same wishful thoughts people expected wholeheartedly from Retro last year, only to get blindsided when they decided to make a sequel to DKC despite its predecessor selling more than all of those new games would, combined.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
A great sniff test for false E3 leaks: does it mention new games from Metroid, Star Fox, "a new IP," or Startropics? If so, it's garbage, because all of those, with the possible exception of Metroid, are wishful thinking at this point in the Wii U's lifespan. They're also the same wishful thoughts people expected wholeheartedly from Retro last year, only to get blindsided when they decided to make a sequel to DKC despite its predecessor selling more than all of those new games would, combined.
Retro has hinted they aren't working on Metroid atm, so it's not even looking good for Metroid, unless it gets a 3DS title of course. Btw, add F-Zero to that list.

Dunno if it implies Ridley too.
He directly states "So previously, I've mentioned that Hades, Ganondorf, and Ridley are coming to the roster", so yeah, he's saying Ridley is in.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Well we never know for Startropic. I don't know this serie, but since it's pretty dark, we can't put it in the same boat as Metroid and Star fox whose editors claimed that no games were in the making.
For the new Ip I think it's not impossible, a FPS made by Mario's creator ? Let's see that in 8 days.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
come on people, a new starfox character? they haven't released a starfoxgame since in dunno... I haven't played Kid Icarus Uprising but I assume Hades is the final boss? He looks cool, but if Palutena makes it to the smashroster then there's already one newcomer from the Kid Icarus franchise... Would be out of usual if they decide to add a second newcomer... But hey, we're dealing with Sakutroll here so who'll know...

What I'm hoping/ would guess (if they're going to reveal newcomers at the E3) is that they'll introduce:
O Dixie as playable or assist, and cranky as an assist. I'm so hoping for Dixie to be playable!
O Palutena playable, since the odd reveal of Psuedo-Palutena's trophy which was at a first glimpse a hint to reveal Palutena as playable.
O Different Captain skins for Olimar and probably other characters too.
O Another Pokemon (maybe Jiggs and hopefully not) and i'm hoping Mewtwo. Somehow I wish they'd put Squirtle back as how he is now in PM since I love the slippery way of moving, but it might be just another character with that moveset, I don't care, plz just introduce something like that Sakurai!! plz!! ^^

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Also, I want to say that although Hades is more fun in game than Medusa, and is over all more important in Uprising than Medusa, I would still want Medusa. Her character design is sick.

I will not discount a rumor because it doesn't make sense to me. But really, not having a third DK rep on a roster in the mid-50s just seems weird.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
My ONLY issue is no DK newcomer. Other wise, this is a suspiciously fantastic roster.... so it's obviously not going to happen.

Man, how upset would the Japanese fan base be if Little Mac and Mike Jones were our only retro reps?
Agreed, add a dk newcomer and this would be a fantastic fan service roster. Although one person on this site was obsessed with mike jones and only one other leak that mentioned him was dead.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just a reminder to focus on talking about the wishlists "leaks" and their validity (or lack thereof) themselves, rather than your opinion of their characters or how "great" they would be. That sort of peripheral discussion is a slippery slope into off-topic territory.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just a reminder to focus on talking about the wishlists "leaks" and their validity (or lack thereof) themselves, rather than your opinion of their characters or how "great" they would be. That sort of peripheral discussion is a slippery slope into off-topic territory.
I remember the closing of the old leak thread. Dark days. Dark days.

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
come on people, a new starfox character? they haven't released a starfoxgame since in dunno... I haven't played Kid Icarus Uprising but I assume Hades is the final boss? He looks cool, but if Palutena makes it to the smashroster then there's already one newcomer from the Kid Icarus franchise... Would be out of usual if they decide to add a second newcomer... But hey, we're dealing with Sakutroll here so who'll know...

What I'm hoping/ would guess (if they're going to reveal newcomers at the E3) is that they'll introduce:
O Dixie as playable or assist, and cranky as an assist. I'm so hoping for Dixie to be playable!
O Palutena playable, since the odd reveal of Psuedo-Palutena's trophy which was at a first glimpse a hint to reveal Palutena as playable.
O Different Captain skins for Olimar and probably other characters too.
O Another Pokemon (maybe Jiggs and hopefully not) and i'm hoping Mewtwo. Somehow I wish they'd put Squirtle back as how he is now in PM since I love the slippery way of moving, but it might be just another character with that moveset, I don't care, plz just introduce something like that Sakurai!! plz!! ^^
Jigglypuff is in the game and will not be revealed until launch (O13). Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that character skins cannot change the identity of the character (Like Daisy/Peach, Lucas/Ness, Lucina/Marth, and the captains for Olimer)

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
"> Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that character skins cannot change the identity of the character (Like Daisy/Peach, Lucas/Ness, Lucina/Marth, and the captains for Olimer)
Fairly positive that that has never actually been stated, it's just fan speculation based on what we have seen of alternate costume so far. To be fair, it is a good assumption.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
who the hell is mike jones??? I only find random black people on google called like this... ok, i found him, but he doesn't really look like a Nintendo character to me... nothing special at first sight... as i said, i don't know the character so i might be in for a surprise here, but for now, nope.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
so i seriously doubt this leak and cant even believe its being discussed this much... back when the old leaks thread existed this was the kind of daily gamefaqs rumor we'd brush off for being very unlikely and clearly from a misinformed fake "leaker".

These Mike Jones leaks are a tad odd if you ask me. His games never made it to Japan- it would be the Little Mac reveal ten times worse. At least Punch Out made it there. Unless they're planning to revive the franchise, then maybe, but i don't see it very likely at this point in time. Watch, they'll announce a reboot and i'll eat crow...
i have read that "japanese fans react to little-mac" article or whatever it was and i have to say i do not think japanese fans were as unaware of little mac as we have been led to believe. maybe modern/younger japanese fans have no idea who he is, but i was in japan about a month or so ago and BOUGHT a japanese version of mike tysons punch out in akihabara, saw a rare gold cartridge version of the game being displayed in a retro gaming store, and even PLAYED punch-out in a demo at another gaming store (there were multiple NES games to choose from to play on the demo but punch-out was among about 20 games ready to be played).

i never saw star tropics once.

so although yes punch-out probably didnt have the reputation it had here in the west it is still a known and played NES title in japan where as star tropics is truly unheard of there. while i like mike jones a lot and star tropics, realistically id be shocked if he was even a trophy.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Did anything neat happen while I was gone? Anything substantial?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I remember the closing of the old leak thread. Dark days. Dark days.
and this isn't the new leak thread. It's only for leaks and rumors pertaining to E3. As --- said it is the final warning, those who go off-topic, discuss leaks and rumors pertaining to E3, and spam the thread with unnecessary pictures will be warned or infracted.

Keep it strictly to E3 rumor and leak discussion.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
so i seriously doubt this leak and cant even believe its being discussed this much... back when the old leaks thread existed this was the kind of daily gamefaqs rumor we'd brush off for being very unlikely and clearly from a misinformed fake "leaker".
Unfortunately, the leak is still being discussed because, like all text leaks, no matter how bullcrap, amazing or disappointing they seem, they still have merit and should AT LEAST be archived so we can figure out who was actually right or, in the likeliest occurrence, which all of them were most wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom