• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duke Nukem Forever

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Whatever this game is, it will suck. It's like TF2 and Starcraft 2. It was hyped by the community so much due to being in development so long that when it is released, it could be the best game out, but nothing like expected.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
like TF2 and Starcraft 2. It was hyped by the community so much due to being in development so long that when it is released, it could be the best game out, but nothing like expected.

TF2: An awesome shooter with Team based objectives and a wide range of diferent, yet balanced characters. Was that expected? Yes. Did it deliver? Yes.

Starcraft2: An awesome RTS that will carry on the Starcraft story, and contains some cool new units and a new play style. That's what we're looking at, but concidering there's not even a year it's due, who knows.

DNF: Will probably suck, like every other Duke game since 3d.

Blackadder

Smash Master
What's this?
Something's very wrong!
What's this?
There's people singing songs!?

This is news to me. I assumed the game died about 3826582057 years ago.
Now, I'm going to laugh if it sucks hard. Here's hoping the decade long wait will be worth it for all those poor fans! :)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
TF2: An awesome shooter with Team based objectives and a wide range of diferent, yet balanced characters. Was that expected? Yes. Did it deliver? Yes.
There are no team based objectives. The only types are Capture the flag and Capture the base. CTF is disguised with a brief case, but that's about it. The game if fun, no doubt, but nothing like what it was hyped to be over the years.

Starcraft2: An awesome RTS that will carry on the Starcraft story, and contains some cool new units and a new play style. That's what we're looking at, but concidering there's not even a year it's due, who knows.
The game will be top notch, no doubt, but no where near the 10 year hype it has.

DNF: Will probably suck, like every other Duke game since 3d.
There hasn't been any Duke games since 3D....

Hype will always kill a game. Look at Halo 3. HUGE release, now not so much is discussed about it.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
There are no team based objectives. The only types are Capture the flag and Capture the base. CTF is disguised with a brief case, but that's about it. The game if fun, no doubt, but nothing like what it was hyped to be over the years.
TF2 does have team based objectives, believe me if you tried it, just getting behind enemy lines, or having to push together to mow people over is fun.

CTF is the last thing on people's mind half the time - most people just go trigger happy and kill others.

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
saw the trailer, looked stupid. I DO NOT have high hopes for this games as it's been an industry joke for 10 years. Also with all the new games that are coming out, I doubt people will really go for another Duke Nukem Game. It just seems really tacky nowadays

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Which require working as a team, last I checked. Defenders, atatckers, healers, engineers...

The game will be top notch, no doubt, but no where near the 10 year hype it has.
If it's half as good as it looks like it will be, that's good enough for me. Honestly, I'd be happy if SC2 looked like Starcraft1, I just want more story!

There hasn't been any Duke games since 3D....
Wrong.

Duke Nukem: Time to Kill - 1998 - PlayStation
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour - 1999 - Nintendo 64
Duke Nukem - 1999 - Game Boy Color
Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes - 2000 - PlayStation
Duke Nukem Advance - 2002 - Game Boy Advance
Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project - 2002 - Microsoft Windows
Duke Nukem Mobile - 2004 - Tapwave Zodiac
Duke Nukem Mobile - 2004 - Cellular Phones
Duke Nukem Mobile II: Bikini Project - 2005 - Cellular Phones
Duke Nukem Mobile 3D - 2005 - Cellular Phones

EDIT: Added a list of mirrors for the *yawn* Trailer on page 1. The one shown at E3 in '01 looks bettter imo.

EDIT2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufFJoDhbjvI (The E3 '01 trailer)

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Duke Nukem will be in development Forever

This trailer merely means they bumped the release date up to some time before the end of time, and not never, like it was starting to look like.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Anyone remember Starcraft Ghost (I bring this up since someone mentioned SC2)? Yeah...

Personally I hope DNF turns out to be at least decent, but I'm expecting it to be more like Doom 3 than anything else atm. Assuming it comes out lol.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Anyone remember Starcraft Ghost (I bring this up since someone mentioned SC2)? Yeah....
That got "shelved indefinetly" after Bliz liked the looks of the 360 and ps3 graphics. Which is lame, imo. :(

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That got "shelved indefinetly" after Bliz liked the looks of the 360 and ps3 graphics. Which is lame, imo. :(
I had nothing to do with graphics and everything to do with the fact that Blizzard hates consoles. I will bet a large sum of money on the fact that Blizzard probably got the fervor to do Starcraft 2 after working with Ghost and realizing how much they could do with the universe. Best of luck with all that. Also, there is rumors of World of Diablo. Pure rumors, but should be awesome.

spindash

Smash Ace
Oh boy. @_@

I watched the trailer. It looked so cheesy...so cheesy that it just might work. :p

Duke Nukem Forever. XD; Doubt I'll play it, but I'll forever remember, "I'm lookin' for an alien toilet to drop my bricks. So whose next?"

Big burly American going to save the world with beefy arms. Gotta love it. XD *no sarcasm*

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well so much for Duke. 3D Realms has gone bust and (at least for now) is unwilling to sell the Duke license. There's screenshots and even a video of gameplay that with some searching on Kotaku you can find (which I sadly cannot link due to boobies in said pictures/clip)

Surprisingly, it actually looked half decent.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I thought the game actually looked really good, and I am kind of disappointed.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I hope it's dead for good now, either come out or ****ing die.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I hope it's dead for good now, either come out or ****ing die.
Agreed.

It's like the Kirby thing, except with Duke Nukem. It's painful to watch, it's not worth waiting seven years for, and it's not worth thinking about if it is dead. Have it out tomorrow, or leave no doubt that it's in the grave. Don't push back the release date once a year like Kirby Air ride and Kirby wii.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The Duke fought long and arduous with 3D Realms, but never managed to make it out alive, as they suicide-bombed themselves to take down Nukem.

Long live Duke Nukem.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
If 3D realms is bankrupt, I would think that they would be required to sell all their assets, including the Duke Nukem copyright. Is there something I don't understand about the situation at 3D realms? Is it bust, but not bankrupt somehow?

Fortunately, I never played a Duke Nukem game, so I was never anticipating a Duke Nukem in my life. I am curious how a bust developer sells his franchises though.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Because apparently they don't like money. Wait! I think I know why they went bust.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
3D Realms is not dead!

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/18/3d-realms-still-alive-claims-take-two-accusations-without-meri/
http://kotaku.com/5259942/3d-realms-were-not-closing-spent-20-million-on-duke-nukem-forever

"Today is no exception, with 3D Realms releasing its first public statement since the dissolving of the game's development team and saying that it's "not closed and is not closing." Though the developer admits Take-Two "retains publishing rights to the game [DNF]," it's positing an ability to "sell the game directly to the public." "

"3D Realms, the studio behind the legendarily delayed Duke Nukem Forever claimed in a statement today that Take-Two, the publisher now suing the studio, provided $2.5 million in funding, a fraction of the$12 million described in the publisher's lawsuit. Most of that money went to other companies long since uninvolved with the game.

The studio did confirm that the DNF team has been let go, but expressed a desire to "co-create" games based on the character in the future.

In their statement, 3D Realms accuses Take-Two of failing to offer the team a reasonable deal to continue developing the game and instead trying to attain the Duke Nukem Forever game from 3D Realms earlier this month in what amounted to a "fire sale.""

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
3D Realms is not dead!

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/18/3d-realms-still-alive-claims-take-two-accusations-without-meri/
http://kotaku.com/5259942/3d-realms-were-not-closing-spent-20-million-on-duke-nukem-forever

"Today is no exception, with 3D Realms releasing its first public statement since the dissolving of the game's development team and saying that it's "not closed and is not closing." Though the developer admits Take-Two "retains publishing rights to the game [DNF]," it's positing an ability to "sell the game directly to the public." "

"3D Realms, the studio behind the legendarily delayed Duke Nukem Forever claimed in a statement today that Take-Two, the publisher now suing the studio, provided $2.5 million in funding, a fraction of the$12 million described in the publisher's lawsuit. Most of that money went to other companies long since uninvolved with the game.

The studio did confirm that the DNF team has been let go, but expressed a desire to "co-create" games based on the character in the future.

In their statement, 3D Realms accuses Take-Two of failing to offer the team a reasonable deal to continue developing the game and instead trying to attain the Duke Nukem Forever game from 3D Realms earlier this month in what amounted to a "fire sale.""
Why does anyone even want the Duke Nukem IP?

Sure it was valuable 12 years ago, but now it's about as valuable as the Spyro IP. Half its potential audience only knows of it through news about Duke Nukem Forever, rather than having prior knowledge of Duke Nukem. At least, I'm in that half, although I'm not sure how big that half is.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Why does anyone even want the Duke Nukem IP?

Sure it was valuable 12 years ago, but now it's about as valuable as the Spyro IP.
you know they're making a Spyro movie, yeah?

Duke is a well known name, and is famous for violence, humour and women in bikinis (and often less). It'll sell.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
you know they're making a Spyro movie, yeah?

Duke is a well known name, and is famous for violence, humour and women in bikinis (and often less). It'll sell.
I actually made the thread on the subject of the Spyro movie.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229076

I read the plot, and thought that the person who wrote the movie must be a complete idiot. Then I found out it came directly from a Spyro game.

I guess Duke Nukem is worth something. It just surprises me because I am so unfamiliar with Duke Nukem - DNF was the first time I even heard of the IP.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
It's Official: Duke Nukem Forever Coming From Gearbox Software

http://kotaku.com/5628894/its-official-duke-nukem-forever-coming-from-gearbox-software

2K Games has made it official. Duke Nukem Forever is alive and, well, in the hands of developer Gearbox Software, confirming our earlier reports that the Borderlands studio was helping to complete the game's absurdly long development cycle.

The publisher announced this morning in advance of PAX 2010 that Gearbox Software was on the job, picking up where developer 3D Realms left off. Gearbox plans to ship the game within the next year, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal—the WSJ says DNF is due "next year" and "currently expected to ship in 2010."

kr3wman

Smash Master
As soon as the game hits the shelves the world will explode in a giant paradox.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

I hope gearbox knows that by daring to take this on, they're dooming their company. Since they have a playable demo, I'm wagering something fast, like a meteor.

Top Bottom