• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duke Nukem Forever

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
....and here I am, thinking about getting this game then I read this.

God! Why does it rate so horrible?

What's up with the gun limit? They should have made it to where you could carry unlimited.

DLC is just a way for those ******* to make more money out of us,

:phone:
People are only buying the game for nostalgic purposes. It's ironic how early on in DNF,
Duke is offered a green "halo-like" suit of armor but declines it saying how "it's for ****ies" but yet, his game has a 2 weapon limit and regenerating health like today's popular shooters: Halo and CoD. >.>

I dunno why they added the 2 gun limit, in DN3D, you would carry like 15. (Or something like that.)

Well, do you want to wait longer for them to finish 100% of the game? It's better cause the game is now out (out tomorrow in NA) and they can start working on the DLC.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm pretty sad it's not a good game, nor an average game. I expected it to be decent at best. Haven't played it yet, but I probably won't buy it for a while.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sad it's not a good game, nor an average game. I expected it to be decent at best. Haven't played it yet, but I probably won't buy it for a while.
Wait for them to release a game of the year edition with all the dlc on it........oh wait.

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
I'll probably borrow it from somebody for the 1000/1000

It honestly makes me upset because i've been looking forward to this game forever.I don't really mind the dlc thing though.Normally I wouldn't let reviews influence if I get a game or not but to many other good games are coming out this year.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well as far as reviews go, my impression of the game pretty much says that, but I'm fearing that even with DLC content avalaible, it's still going to be an inferior title compared to the previous two which is not good. :(

But I'll still get in nonetheless, even if it turns out to be a total letdown, but that's just me.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm actually hesitant to drop full price on this game to pick up my pre-order. >_>

Might wait until the price goes down. x_x

Chris Holmes

Smash Rookie
I've been enjoying the game,its fun.

Not the best looking, and the load times are bad but its fun.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I read that the PC version is the best (inb4masterraceftwconsolessuck) followed by the PS3 port and finally, the 360 port.

On the 360, it takes 20-30 seconds to load each time you die. =/

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I read that the PC version is the best (inb4masterraceftwconsolessuck) followed by the PS3 port and finally, the 360 port.

On the 360, it takes 20-30 seconds to load each time you die. =/
Those load times remind me of Resident Evil Outbreak when you didn't have the HDD...

Surprised it has long loading. Are the deaths even good on this game?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
That's weird, considering Duke loves the ladies.
Eh, well, I'm typically pretty lenient on tastelessness especially when playing Duke but the scene where the twins die really kinda took me out of the experience because it was so..well, misogynistic and mean spirited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GIU-KodYu0#t=7m50s

I understand that it's supposed to be somewhat humorous, but it really isn't at all. It's just an unfunny **** joke. If it was funny I wouldn't even care but...

All in all, the game just FEELS different from Duke3D. The character has gone from a stereotypical cartoon character to, for lack of a better word, realistic. This changes a lot of the tone and jokes in the game. Duke is less an impossible demi-god like caricature, and more a neoconservative racist misogynist misanthrope. These characteristics, and the game world Duke lives in are too fleshed out and "detailed" and as a result it all becomes sort of loathsome rather than ridiculous and silly like Duke3D et al.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Eh, well, I'm typically pretty lenient on tastelessness especially when playing Duke but the scene where the twins die really kinda took me out of the experience because it was so..well, misogynistic and mean spirited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GIU-KodYu0#t=7m50s

I understand that it's supposed to be somewhat humorous, but it really isn't at all. It's just an unfunny **** joke. If it was funny I wouldn't even care but...

All in all, the game just FEELS different from Duke3D. The character has gone from a stereotypical cartoon character to, for lack of a better word, realistic. This changes a lot of the tone and jokes in the game. Duke is less an impossible demi-god like caricature, and more a neoconservative racist misogynist misanthrope. These characteristics, and the game world Duke lives in are too fleshed out and "detailed" and as a result it all becomes sort of loathsome rather than ridiculous and silly like Duke3D et al.
I only played part of the demo but after watching that youtube video I can see what you mean, I don't see anything funny about it. Kinda depressing if you ask me.

Edit: After watching it a 2nd time with the volume up high enough with me to hear the dialogue(since my parents weren't around) and its even worse, that's just wrong. I'm glad I didn't buy this game.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
you can get Duke3D at GOG for real cheap. It runs a lot better with this program called eduke32.

Everyone should just do that instead of playing DNF.

Oh well, the good news is that now that DNF is out we have future Duke games to look forward to, without 3DRealms' horrible designers behind any of it.

D

Deleted member

The load times are simply inexcusable for this game. Haven't seen this much loading since the early Playstation days.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 had pretty annoying loads but not like this game. I rented it and I make sure I don't die because I tested it and its like almost a minute wait on loading after death...

M@v

Subarashii!
So yeah, so far this game has gotten mediocre reviews.

IGN - 5.5/10
Eurogamer - 3/10

I also read that 50% of the game was cut from the final version but will be included in the DLC they have planned.
I.

SO.

CALLED.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER.

BEING.

A.

BUST.

Even if it is actually decent, its going to suck no matter what unless its Ocarina of Time quality because its been 14years. People's expectations are waayyyy too high.

It honestly makes me upset because i've been looking forward to this game forever..
:troll:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm still getting this game. If all people are doing is comparing it to things like Call of Duty or other new-generation revolutionizing shooters, then it was a lost cause already.

This is Duke Nukem. My only gripe is the weapon limitations. That's it. /gonna get it for PC myself

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
yeah, but it's not really Duke Nukem. it's like Duke Nukem made by people who don't get Duke Nukem...which is weird because they created him. The issue with DNF is that it is TOO much like modern shooters, that's why people are comparing them because it is using the same gameplay mechanics.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
yeah, but it's not really Duke Nukem. it's like Duke Nukem made by people who don't get Duke Nukem...which is weird because they created him. The issue with DNF is that it is TOO much like modern shooters, that's why people are comparing them because it is using the same gameplay mechanics.
So does this game suck or not?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
No. The game does not suck. (At least, from what I've heard of the game. Everyone is citing the solid gameplay and whatnot, and if Duke's cracking one-liners and being his egotistical *** kicking self? then that's what counts to me)

People just don't like how there's no real health (it's regenerating like Halo, but to Duke's credit it's called his ego), and you're limited to two weapons at a time.

Other then that.....kinda the same Duke to me.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
ME3? As in MAss Effect? As in the game that isn't out for another year and is in an almost completely different genre than Duke? That's a really weird comparison to make.

Why? Because DNF isn't even like it's predecessors, it resembles a more modern feel than anything, While ME3 isn't even out yet, or comparable in that matter, you can bet a nickle that ill grab it in an instant as soon as it's out without regards to gameplay.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
So does this game suck or not?
Yes.

It's playable, of course. And there are even a couple of fun parts but overall not very good. I would never in a million years call the gameplay in DNf "solid". It is inconsistent and rough around the edges at best.

I don't mind the regen health and stuff, but the slow pace, the weapon limit, the abysmal driving minigames, the "Duke vision", no Mighty Boot, the pace-breaking mind-numbing puzzles and more make for a bad game.

I WISH the game was worthy of Duke3D, or that it even felt like the same people made it, but it doesn't. It's boring and offensive without being funny or charming.

Duke's one-liners aren't even slightly clever or funny anymore. There's nothing really entertaining about Duke saying "douche" to an alien you just blew the head off of.

In Duke3D, the oneliners were saved for special occasions like when you killed a baddie in a special way. And, I don't know. it just has more charm. Duke used to be a ridiculous action movie parody...now he's just a jerk and anyone who isn't him sucks and is ********.

Oh, and the end boss/ending SUCKS. Except for when you get to pee in his eye.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
To be fair, I never felt the DN franchise to be anything amazing, but to be rather average catching the gimmicks of cussing on liners, sex, and aliens to really draw the crowd with some interesting weaponry to keep you awake.

That's how I've always felt it was. So I expected to see the same of DNF.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Well yeah, that's the whole appeal. 90% of Duke's one liners are stolen verbatim from 80s action movies. Duke3D is just a super fun game, and back in the day it was really incredible. The multiplayer is very addictive.

My personal favorite part of Duke games is the interactivity, which, I have to be fair, DNF didn't fail to deliver for the most part. Yeah, it's non-essential that you can flush the toilets, drink out of them, or (in DNF's case) poop in them and then pick the poop up and throw it at things- but those little stupid details are so fun and are a big part of the charm.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I will have to play Duke3D because it seems good. My last Duke was Time to kill. Before I got rid of my N64 (biggest mistake ever...) I couldn't put down Zero Hour. His one liners, along with the bizarre weapons and the new enemies what made it well...DN. I hope they improve next time if they make another...

Top Bottom