• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duke Biweeklies has a new thread. It should be above this one in the tournament list

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
There is a difference between theory and actually testing out said theory. Perhaps the people that had the bad information on the boards didn't accurate test the physics in an actual battle before distributing the information?
I mean that's probably not the case. It would be odd for an entire board of people to be so mistaken about the physics. Maybe they were trying to say something else but failed miserably with their words. Hmph. Doesn't matter. Though I wish moderators would control bad info from being spread. I only hope the Zelda boards aren't still under those bad premises.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
I remember when Mike first started playing, he actually looked at matchup charts :facepalm:

Im glad hes come such a long way.
I mean I still look at them. They let me know which MU I need to practice more seriously on. Like for Falco, I know I have to spend more time on characters like IC, GnW, Kirby, fox, and pika. All of those he goes even or loses.

The MK MU is easy. There's nothing special to it. I just need experience doing the same thing over and over again whereas the other 5 MUs let me know that I need to study what about the character limits my character's ability or that they have a certain ability that falco is prone to.

MU charts are good indicators of where you need to devote more time to. They may be inaccuruate as far as how the MUs go (winning vs losing) but they do show the MUs that most players of that character struggle with.

Like I never felt threatened by Pika until I saw it was a 35 MU. Then I was like wtf? So I went and found out that pika can take me to over 100 with a single grab. This caused me to find out ways to get out (can buffer a double jump if below 20), what stages I should go to (stages that change or SV), and what options falco has; the most important thing I learned was that if falco is inside pika's grab range, pika is inside of falco's grab range. This is good information for me. But in my study of this match-up, I learned 1 important thing: camp, camp, camp, camp, camp, and camp. Never approach; never do any laggy move. And never try to fight in close combat.

MU charts have good information contained in them. They shouldn't just be overlooked.

And on the flipside of the coin, when you see a MU that is like 80:20 (not that falco has one....not that I know of at least) it let's you know that there is a very specific technique or something that makes that MU so good for you. Learn that simple thing and move on to the next MU.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
Falco vs Ike is like, 80:20 imo

If the falco camps correctly.
I agree for the most part. Falco has to camp that MU and its 80:20. But Ike's nair usually ****s up all my approaches. Falco must be very smart with his recovery in this MU. If not, it's death. And falco need not chase Ike offstage once he gets the spike off the chaingrab.....he gets gimped....hard. But other than those few things, falco takes this MU hands down.

Although.......Dehf is really worried about this MU. He's been trying to find vids for months (asking people for them). He has no clue on how this MU is supposed to be played. People just respodn to him.......don't worry about San. Just camp.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
wat do u meen if they camp of corse their going to camp
I mean there's a difference between camping the entire match and mixing camping with approaches (smart approaches albeit). And the biggest thing falco must overcome is how to get away from Ike. Up close Ike with just pummel. If Falco tries to phantasm, nair wrecks that. So the Falco has to play smart because the hitboxes of Ike's Nair are so that there is little skill to timing to f up falco's phantasm. He just has to put it out there. But it's just being able to reset yourself that makes falco takes this MU. Ftilt also is very important in this MU for falco. The Ike should have a very hard time getting in to force the Falco to flee if Falco uses ftilt correctly. But Ike's ftilt will outrange it.

It's just one of those MU's that it's easy to say 'camp' but that really doesn't contain what is hard in the MU. Falco must be able to read the situation and get away appropriately (like phantasming after a failted tilt or jab).

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I mean that's probably not the case. It would be odd for an entire board of people to be so mistaken about the physics. Maybe they were trying to say something else but failed miserably with their words. Hmph. Doesn't matter. Though I wish moderators would control bad info from being spread. I only hope the Zelda boards aren't still under those bad premises.
You realize even some of the best Smashers are misinformed about game physics, right?

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
san says that falco/ike is only 55/45 falco iirc...
does anyone have vids of san playing any decent falco. All the falco's he's played that I can find on youtube are really scrubby. He was able to basically jab and ftilt everyone of them to death. I can't find any good falco players playing good ikes or vice versa.

Cutz

Smash Rookie
Hurrah for Smash Parties. :D

Edit: Had a blast ZR, thanks for the fun time. It was a pleasant experience.

ZeldaRox!

Smash Lord
This or G6?

*sits back and thinks*
why not both...they're 2 weeks apart.

But if you can only go to one, I would really like you to come to this but I want Snap to get a good turnout for his first tourney so you should go to his. Good luck at whichever one you go to.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
no contest, G6.

in all reality, you should go to, and support both events.

actually, i have an odd feeling that G6 brawl will be a little weak, and run extraordinarily late. but overall its a more hyped tourney...

lol for brawl it actually does seem like a tough decision lol

edit: zr wit the ninja. i take too long to type stuff lol

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yeah. I'm really up in the air about going to G6 simply because most of it's support seems to be coming from the melee audience.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
it's not really like that...oos is coming for brawl too =/ but steve's tourney next weekend has more OOS afaik...and it's only brawl...so we should really go to that =]

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
**** all of you, its not like i havent tried to get brawl as hype as melee.

Also my tournament will be the best tournament anyone has ever attended.

Top Bottom