• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Dragonic Reverse" -- Yoshi Can Wavedash!

Mac Matrix

Smash Cadet
MAN I need to get my butt back on here more.

x_x

So, sup guys? How's things?

IT'S ABOUT TIME THIS THREAD WAS STICKIED. Ugh. >_>

Btw, how far have you guys gotten with documenting DR? This is with regard to the best setup on different controllers. I'm attempting to save up for a CC still (**** my PC exploding >_>) and atm just trying to get the timing right with the GC pad.

I ask because I'm on a library PC and have literally no time to check myself, so please don't noob me for being 'lazy'. I'll check asap unless someone can just give a link / info / details.
I'm a tad out of practice with Yoshi so help on getting back to how he needs to be played is a must. :p

bigman40

Smash Master
MAN I need to get my butt back on here more.

x_x

So, sup guys? How's things?

IT'S ABOUT TIME THIS THREAD WAS STICKIED. Ugh. >_>

Btw, how far have you guys gotten with documenting DR? This is with regard to the best setup on different controllers. I'm attempting to save up for a CC still (**** my PC exploding >_>) and atm just trying to get the timing right with the GC pad. And just practice the basics again before you go into the DR. You don't need to learn the DR first to be a good yoshi.

I ask because I'm on a library PC and have literally no time to check myself, so please don't noob me for being 'lazy'. I'll check asap unless someone can just give a link / info / details.
I'm a tad out of practice with Yoshi so help on getting back to how he needs to be played is a must. :p
Idk what to tell you. Chaco is the best on DRing with the GC, and he uses tap jump.
I still use the CC, and the method I'm already doing is by far the easiest for me.
You'll just have to continue messing with it to see which setup is good for you.

BTW, To everyone that doubts the DR/DT, I've been messing with it in training mode today, and I can say that this single move (it's uses) can boost Yoshi up easily. I've been able to pressure an opponent even better, the ground attacks have even more options during certain moments, and it's super hard to be guessed when you can easily use this move.

Seriously, the rewards outweigh the risks if you use the move in the right spots (I know cause I did it everywhere and got punished a billion times to learn the spots). This would be something that any yoshi, offense and defense, should have in the bag.

Mac Matrix

Smash Cadet
I see. Well, thanks for the info. :p

I've been practicing a lot recently with Fox (Fact - I originally mained Fox on SSB64, but changed to Yoshi on Melee because I couldn't get to grips with him there =/) so I am really out of practice with Yoshi, so to hear Chaco uses tap jump give me some hope. I'll give it a shot, see where it goes =P

Chaco

Never Logs In
Exactly, Scat, when I played online with Yoshi last, I pressured someone with DTing at them and faking it into a grab release. It's a great mindgame.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
So... hard... to... do...

I can only do it about 10% of the time, and only slide with it 1% of the time. ._.

So far I haven't used it in any matches. At least not effectively. The only time I've managed to hit something with it was hitting Sandbag with an f-tilt. ;__;

I realize how big this is for Yoshi, but it is so difficult to pull off. Problem is, I'd rather not change my controller scheme because I've grown so accustomed to it: L as Jump, and Tap Jump off.

I've tried X L A, but for some reason I can never get the second jump to register... So, I've stuck with X X A for now. =/

...Help? =(

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
chrono how long do u practice it for? cause i was able to do it in a day, not consistantly but mabye 3/10 times. work on it for about an hour one day on 1/4 then 1/2 then next and u should be able to do it alittle on full speed

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
i really don't think you should start in slow speed, it doesn't really do anything. I started in full speed and i could do a standing DR 90% of the time in two days(XXA)

i still can't slide well, though.

bigman40

Smash Master
For people having trouble sliding:

All you have to do is tilt the control stick left or right when you're doing the move. If you aren't sliding enough, then do it when you start the move.

And starting at slow speeds just allows some people to get the feel of how fast it'll get when you get to full speed.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Iunno if they were one like me but I never could get it in slow speeds. I started out in 1. And then eventually took it to 1.5 to practice DT. And that helped me loads with speed.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
well this is really pointless but i found out u could stop ur dr by crouchin quickly and crawlin, its not really of much help unless u can perfectly space ur down tilts and klick all the buttons that fast

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
I see. Well, thanks for the info. :p

I've been practicing a lot recently with Fox (Fact - I originally mained Fox on SSB64, but changed to Yoshi on Melee because I couldn't get to grips with him there =/) so I am really out of practice with Yoshi, so to hear Chaco uses tap jump give me some hope. I'll give it a shot, see where it goes =P
Funny thing... I also mained Fox in SSB64 and then switched to Yoshi in Melee.

In any case, I've finally gotten the hang of the Dragonic Reverse, but it still only happens 10% to 20% of the time... Maybe a little bit more. In a training mode session I had today, I DR'd 4-5 times in a row sliding left and right, so at least I can see some improvement. I use XXA on the GC by the way as it seemed the most comfortable one to me.

The Dragonic Trot though is a different beast altogether, and I've only done one DT successfully. I seem to be better at dashing one direction and then DRing the opposite direction instead of DRing the same direction as my dash.

Being a senior in college, the president of an organization, and having a g/f leaves me little time to do any practice on any smashing these days. I just want to get to the point where I can will the DR to happen and my fingers will do their job unconsciously.

Veng

Smash Ace
I cant really understand the video, how do you actually do it? I double jump then nair and it just goes higher.... not a wavedash o.o

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
You're not doing it quickly enough. You have to do it extremely quickly, especially without Tap Jump on.

Veng

Smash Ace
i can only do it at 1/4 time not at real time :\

i been trying for like a half hour i dont use tap jump... just the x button and a button

EDIT: I think i did it like twice out of 1000000 trys... its barly noticeable when you do it but you dont hear the nair noise....... **** this is hard I cant see myself using this in battle :\

am i gonna suck till i can do it?/

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Well, it's hard for me to say what might make it easier for you since I'm one of the one in about 600,000 Yoshi players that uses Tap Jump, but I'll just say stick to it. The timing seems almost impossible at first, but once you get a feel for it, you'll be doing it all over the place.

Speaking of which, you ARE practicing the standing (stationary) DR first, right? I'd work on getting that down before trying moving DRs, which are much, much harder.

Veng

Smash Ace
yes I am not moving, I can do it almost 70% with 1/4 time in training and I have done it like twice in real time out of a bazillion trys and I dont even know how I did it that fast.

My only worry about tap jump is the edge canceled egg's. See I like tap jump for the egg slide, but can I do edge canceled egg's with tap jump on?

i think thats what im gonna do, so how do you do DR with tap jump on what makes it easier o.o

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I admit that I don't often implement that very vital aspect of Yoshi's gameplay into my repertoire nearly as often as I should (I do it occasionally, but not often at all). The main key with LCET is timing. Like DR, lower the speed (1/2 should be plenty), then watch for Yoshi to twitch downward to instantly up B. Make sure you don't neutral B by mistake.

To be honest, it's not worth having Tap Jump on just for DR if you can play equally well without it.

Veng

Smash Ace
Im gonna be 100% honest and say that I dont think DR would help me very much because I would focus to much on it.

But that being saids I can still Edge Cancel Egg's, egg slide and stutter step... or should I Really take the time to master DR?

also what are some good combos like dthrow ground pound.... that REALLY helps my game... i know his bair is like ownage so approaching with that is pretty good unless your playing a marth lol

Seeya

Smash Cadet
you can do this with Toon Link if you jump once , double jump and attack.

or was it Sonic? :confused:

*shrugs* all i know is i did it successfully three times using Sonic

Sharky

Smash Master
you can do this with Toon Link if you jump once , double jump and attack.

or was it Sonic? :confused:

*shrugs* all i know is i did it successfully three times using Sonic

do what? DR? lolz

Yoshi's the only one that can do this, because his double jump is unique like that. No clue what you did with sonic. =/

Seeya

Smash Cadet
no, do a double jump cancel and remain in place. yes, Yoshi is the only one that can do DR and he is also a great counter against MK. i can only do DR with Yoshi on 1/4 lol

i did it once i think with Sonic before fighting Tabuu with Lucario's Double Team :)

source: i used to main Yoshi on Melee :)

Chaco

Never Logs In
XD It's addictive. If you get it wrong you want to keep trying.

bigman40

Smash Master
I know. try doing it with a song playing in your head XD I was speeding my hands up to go with the beat instead of trying to do it at the speed I'm used to XD

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Hey. I've never mained Yoshi, and I don't have a camera, but I do have another way to do this. Well, actually, it's a waveland w/a different way to do it, but whatever.

I discovered this in training while attempting a waveland w/yoshi.

You must be going quickly horizontally to do what I did, which is why this only (to my knowledge) works with Yoshi. Forgive me if this is old news, this is my first time on the Yoshi boards. Well, I've talked enough, here it is.

1. Go to Final Destination

2. Jump up w/Yoshi and hold left/right on the control stick

3. As you are about to land, air dodge

4. You should land and slide a short distance

As you get more familiar with this, you'll notice that you don't have to hold the control stick, just be traveing horizontally. At the start, at least for me, I would always put my shield up (my fingers weren't fast enough, having never learned to wavedash). I don't know if you can do other attacks out of this, as I've aborted the project.

This serves a few purposes:

1. Transferring from the air to a shield with no lag whatsoever

2. Transferring from the air to a roll/dodge with no lag whatsoever

3. Edgehogging (I've only done this once)

4. Transferring from the air to a shield grab

5. Faking out the opponent into thinking you'll shield

6. Same as five, except you can have the ending animation (the egg pops out) appear

7. Possible mindgames

8. Possibly use smashes, tilts, and b-moves, but I don't know.

You might be able to combined this with the DR to create some extremely awesome technique, or you might not, or whatever.

If anyone does make a video, please give me a little credit.

Notes: Obviously, this doesn't have to be done on Final Destination, it's just the best stage to start on.
I've also done this with a few other characters, but only when in fight club under high knockback, trying to tech, and doing this.

Sharky

Smash Master
lol nah that's just yoshi sliding to a halt after landing with that horizontal speed. Everyone can to that, yoshi's is probably more noticeable than most, though, since he's got the highest horizontal air speed. As far as the airdodge-shield goes, you're just buffering the shield with the airdodge. It's not nearly the same thing, but it's always something to think about. =)

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
no, do a double jump cancel and remain in place. yes, Yoshi is the only one that can do DR and he is also a great counter against MK. i can only do DR with Yoshi on 1/4 lol

i did it once i think with Sonic before fighting Tabuu with Lucario's Double Team :)

source: i used to main Yoshi on Melee :)
I can't wrap my brain around this ****.

How can someone contradict themselves like 5 times in two posts?

Top Bottom