• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Dragonic Reverse" -- Yoshi Can Wavedash!

Chaco

Never Logs In
Good, really good stuff, although the practicality in this is non existent, and sliding will eventually make your buttons jam to one side.

bigman40

Smash Master
Haven't had that problem. So, I think that it's fairly practical. Besides, you can just replace the old one if that ever happens.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Fox players from Melee and Ganondorf players in Brawl will recognize the importance in sliding.

It won't have a terribly detrimental effect on your controller as long as you're using either the Spice Orange or the Purple Nintendo GCN controllers. If it's black, one of the Japanese-only models, or a Mad Catz, then you're on your own.

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Help...

I know this is an old post but.
Something not described here is happening to me while trying to DR:
1. I use tap jump.
2.I almost immediately follow up with X and A
Result: I get an Up-smash.

Funny thing is that even when I dont actually tilt the stick it still does an Up-smash.
Can someone tell me if its actually possible to do it faster so no jump will imput?

Edit: Ok, Scatz just explained this to me. If anyone else is doing like I'm doing then ur moving the stick too slowly, making the DJ (X) and attack (A) register as an upsmash.
So move stick faster! (THX Scatz).

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
ALRIGHTY GUYS! I believe I finally found the easiest way to use DR w/o Tap jump on GC. It IS weird, but I think that this might make things, as a whole, easier. Set these buttons to the following configurations:

B: Jump (Shocker, isn't it?)
X: Specials
L/R: Attack (whichever you like. I'm left handed, so I use L)

Now, You slide your thumb from Y to B, and press the L button simultaneously with the B button. You should be able to DR MUCH easier than before. Also, I tested the ETS with it, and it works quite well. Give it a try. I think it might allow some people who can't tap X X A fast enough to do the move now.
I don't understand why anyone would tap X X A in the first place. Y Y A is superior because you don't have to change the position of your thumb.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh, and Big, I tried your controls they work, but I had to tweak them due to my playstyle. ^_^

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Different colored GCN controllers have different longevity.

It's been tested and retested with statistics held somewhere. Hmm, I should go look these up again, it was very interesting stuff.

Anyway, the meat of the story is that black GCN controllers have the shortest lifespan out of the tested GCN controllers, with Spice Orange (I believe) lasting the longest. I thought it was interesting.

My black GCN controllers lasted about an average of maybe six to eight months while I was playing Melee? The purple ones lasted for a little over a year and I know someone who is still using their Spice Orange, LOL.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
The GCN controller that came with mine was black, and it just recently ate it (through several years of Melee).

To be fair, I've owned it long past its usefulness. The rubber on the joystick was literally gone, it was just a plastic nub. XD

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I have officially mastered the wavedash, and have now incorporated it into my matches (though these haven't been uploaded yet). I'm so excited! I've been able to do it stationary for awhile, but never really moved or did anything out of it. All of a sudden, though, I was doing some offline practice, and everything just clicked! Now I'm wavedashing all over the place, even online! This is fantastic! Thank goodness I never stopped using Tap Jump.

The main issue (though it's incredibly minor) is actually one we've been discussing here. In order to wavedash consistently without messing up, I need to change my hand position. Usually, I have my index finger between the Z and R triggers and my thumb alternating between the A and B buttons and the C-stick. When I wavedash, though, I do it best when I have my index finger on the A button and my middle finger on the X button. I can still do things out of it of course, but it's a little awkward, especially if I'm preparing to set up throws. I'll have to consider this.

I'm really looking forward to the idea of posting a couple of my "wavedash" match videos, if you guys would like to see them. I already have some of my other matches up (on the video thread), and I'd love to hear what you guys think.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
um ive been doin very few drs on regualar speed and can do it near constitinly on 1/2 speed but sometimes when i title the stick i dont slide, am i doin something wrong?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
That depends on a few things, YoshiIslander77z.

1: Are you using Tap Jump?
2: What control scheme (buttons, specifically) are you using?
3: Are you DRing in place or trying to do moving DRs? (I'd work on consistently DRing in place before performing moving DRs).
4: What is Yoshi doing instead of the wavedash? Is he jumping, super jumping, up smashing, or a combination of those things?
5: What color Yoshi do you use? (Irrelevant, but it's MY survey, so there! :laugh: )

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
oki can finnally dr 30%(and figured out the u ned to tilt da control stick da same time u dr instead of before) but the only prblem is i can attack out of it, like i cant attack right after i slide any advice

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
wow, ever since I bought a Classic controller I have found it much easier to DR than with GC. I just really need to use its potential in the matches now.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I still have yet to use the Classic Controller in Brawl.

I really need to get one, both for Brawl and for homebrew...

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Hmm... well, Nyko is (usually) known for really nice controllers, so that could be pretty cool. On the other hand, there's a disturbing "NES Max" feel to that design that makes me a little leery about it. I guess I'll have to wait for some product reviews (like... say... Bigman's, hehe).

bigman40

Smash Master
well, I think I can safely say that I practically mastered the DR now. I'll try to get some vids up when I get free time (and when I feel like brawling again).

Sharky

Smash Master
I'm actually seeing about the replacement for the CC. Nyko is making a controller called, the WING, and I think it'll make a big sale. I'll most likely be the first to get it and try it for brawl, so I'll let people know what I think about it.

Here's the preview on it: http://gear.ign.com/articles/906/906265p1.html
eep, two wireless connections? Hope the input lag isn't terrible. =$

Chaco

Never Logs In
Scat, I could say I've mastered tapping DR and DT.

That's why I switched back to tap already. o_o

bigman40

Smash Master
heh. I still haven't put the time in to learn DT. Really, I've found out that DR is super useful for tech chasing (DR +tilts = ****). And it works a little for killing

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
TOOOO HARD.

I set something up that let me DR, ONCE.

I've never really DR'd in real time before.

I set the Taunt buttons to

Jump
Attack
Jump

By having the sides be attack and the bottom be jump, I can press both at virtually the same intervals.
Then by pressing X I can have

X and then XA occur at the same/near the same time.

Well, actually I only had this happen once.....but dammit it's the first time I could get it down real time.

Can someone tell me why the hell XXA is like impossible for me T_T

bigman40

Smash Master
Cause your thumb isn't fast enough? You could try X L/R A, but the amount of space in the triggers make the timing hard (for me anyway). You might be successful with it. Or you can go to the CC =P

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I can pull off the Draconic... fake-out... with about 90% success rate. Basically, you draconic reverse without the reverse.

For some reason I can't get the slide, haha. I've been playing too much WoW lately and slacking on my Smash training.

(Baddy)

Top Bottom