• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm a bit confused, do you think he will get his own amiibo? It's kind of redundant with a Mario amiibo already released.

I completely disagree. I need a Mario that doesn't have the worst :GCD::GCB: ever.
Ha! You just don't know how to use it!
Even though he has a new down B, he is still a clone.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I didn't really expect him to come back, but I don't mind him being in. Though I sound really bias due to my profile over there. I'll probably play him anyways.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Ha! You just don't know how to use it!
Even though he has a new down B, he is still a clone.
Well, I guess I never figured out that FLUDD gave Mario recovery potential, thanks for the info.

PS. i'm being sarcastic, FLUDD sucks, and you are hearing that straight from a guy who loves Super Mario Sunshine

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well, I guess I never figured out that FLUDD gave Mario recovery potential, thanks for the info.

PS. i'm being sarcastic, FLUDD sucks, and you are hearing that straight from a guy who loves Super Mario Sunshine
Hey, me too.
No, FLUDD shoots. The Poltergust sucks.
LOL!

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I'm somewhat glad Dr. Mario is back. Not only did I main him in melee and prefer him over Mario, but this also gives Mewtwo more hope of returning

LOL DUDE

Smash Cadet
You see, I have a few criteria that I like to think about when I think of whether or not somebody should be a character. There's quite a few, so i'll only name the one Doctor Mario doesn't fit: "Does the character have justification for being their own character, rather than an alternate costume of an existing character?". Doctor Mario is literally an alternate persona of Mario. It's Mario wearing a labcoat and head mirror. Might as well make Outset Toon Link his own character, or Pajama Ness!

Say what you will, but I absolutely despise Doctor Mario being his own character.

C3CC

Smash Lord
You see, I have a few criteria that I like to think about when I think of whether or not somebody should be a character. There's quite a few, so i'll only name the one Doctor Mario doesn't fit: "Does the character have justification for being their own character, rather than an alternate costume of an existing character?". Doctor Mario is literally an alternate persona of Mario. It's Mario wearing a labcoat and head mirror. Might as well make Outset Toon Link his own character, or Pajama Ness!

Say what you will, but I absolutely despise Doctor Mario being his own character.
My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't change a single letter of this post. The same goes for Lucina and Dark Pit.

McMilla1228

Smash Cadet

I take it you're not a fan of Falco, Toon Link and Ganon?

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I don't get why people complain about clones. People often label the same without looking at major differences like the trajectory the move launches you in or the physics of the character. Clones are welcome additions because they allow new spins on how the characters fight. They are also not the reason your favorite character did not make it in. For example, a K. Rool fan complains that Doc, Lucina, and Dark Pit got in over him. No. Sakurai had extra time at the end of development and wanted to beef up the roster. It was either the three clones are no one at all. They did not take anyone's place.

D

Deleted member

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't change a single letter of this post. The same goes for Lucina and Dark Pit.
But then what he said aren't your thoughts exactly. He complained that Dr.Mario didn't deserve the slot because he was literally just Mario in a doctor's uniform. Nothing was said about not wanting any clones.

Last edited by a moderator:

klk155

Smash Cadet
NNID
klk155

I feel you man, mario sunshine is my favorite mario game of all time , and i do think as well that FLUDD sucks big time

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't get why people complain about clones. People often label the same without looking at major differences like the trajectory the move launches you in or the physics of the character. Clones are welcome additions because they allow new spins on how the characters fight. They are also not the reason your favorite character did not make it in. For example, a K. Rool fan complains that Doc, Lucina, and Dark Pit got in over him. No. Sakurai had extra time at the end of development and wanted to beef up the roster. It was either the three clones are no one at all. They did not take anyone's place.
If there was a "Love" button, I would be pressing it right now. <3

To each their own, but I'm curious as to what the other criteria are? From your implications, Doc is fine otherwise, he just happens to be an alternate costume of Mario. Not being flippant and condescending, I'm genuinely curious as to what else you believe is important for a character's inclusion.

Devil's advocate: Doc represents an important, yet often overlooked, part of Ninendo's history, i.e. puzzle games and the Dr Mario sub-series in general. His moveset and physical attributes are distinct enough from Mario to warrant his inclusion, as they appeal to his particular fanbase and players who prefer the fighting style he possesses. He offers a lot of what Mario can't do and allows for more freedom of playing style and opportunities for distinct, creative moves that Mario does not have. He is a throwback to Melee and an appreciation of fans who prefer Mario in that game or, perhaps, just outright prefer Doc.

LOL DUDE

Smash Cadet
I take it you're not a fan of Falco, Toon Link and Ganon?
I'm fine with Falco and Toon Link because they do actually fit a lot of my criteria. They fit the justificaitons for being their own characters and having movesets similar to another character (although making them feel as different as possible is a must (like Brawl Falco or Project M Toon Link)). Ganondorf has no reasoning at all for being a clone of Captain Falcon. When has he ever used something along the lines of Wizard Kick or Warlock Punch in an LoZ game?

To each their own, but I'm curious as to what the other criteria are? From your implications, Doc is fine otherwise, he just happens to be an alternate costume of Mario. Not being flippant and condescending, I'm genuinely curious as to what else you believe is important for a character's inclusion.
Well, mainly
-Justification for being a playable in some form
-Justification for them being their own character, rather than a costume of an existing character
-Justification for them having a moveset similar to another existing character
-Justification for their design or gameplay being based off of x rather than y
That's just the general stuff, though.
Devil's advocate: Doc represents an important, yet often overlooked, part of Ninendo's history, i.e. puzzle games and the Dr Mario sub-series in general. His moveset and physical attributes are distinct enough from Mario to warrant his inclusion, as they appeal to his particular fanbase and players who prefer the fighting style he possesses. He offers a lot of what Mario can't do and allows for more freedom of playing style and opportunities for distinct, creative moves that Mario does not have. He is a throwback to Melee and an appreciation of fans who prefer Mario in that game or, perhaps, just outright prefer Doc.
In a perfect world, Nintendo could just do like the Project M guys did, merging the positive gameplay aspects of both Mario and Doctor Mario and make Doctor Mario an alternate costume for Mario. However, as evidenced by a message of mine being flagged by moderators on Miiverse, Nintendo does not want to acknowledge Project M or any Brawl mods at all.

Come to think of it, we haven't seen any gameplay of Doctor Mario yet. Perhaps they made him feel less like a clone in this one. If that were the case, then i'd be fine with him.

D

Deleted member

Dr. Mario has to be the only character I'm not pleased to see if he's anything like he was in melee, since he was pretty much the stronger but slower Mario, with a different fireball effect.
If he worked like a melee character worked ENTIRELY, I would be pretty hype for him though

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
So how will he compare with Mario? Will his down and b attack be the same as melee? I hope it is, because he was one of my mains in melee. However, I really disliked Mario in Brawl. Hopefully he is pretty good in this game.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I used to dislike multiple characters using a slot but I came to the realisation that clones only add stuff to the game unless it's a character with so much potential for moves such as Ganondorf. Ganondwarf should have his own moves

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario has to be the only character I'm not pleased to see if he's anything like he was in melee, since he was pretty much the stronger but slower Mario, with a different fireball effect.
If he worked like a melee character worked ENTIRELY, I would be pretty hype for him though
Your post doesn't really make sense, you want him to be like he was in Melee but you also don't? umm...

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Listen up Doc.

I hope you're medical degree is legit, because if Mewtwo isn't back your gonna need a lot of self-applied surgery.

Last edited:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I saw Doc use the Dr. Tornado on the ground. He has Megavitamins and a unique intro.

Thank god!

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
He has a different down-b!

He is not an Alt because it wouldn't make sense for Dr. Mario to use FLUDD!
Tornado is back, which is nice...But if Mewtwo and / or Ridley isn't in I'm gonna cry ._. any, congrats Dr., even though you seem to not even have had a support thread XD

Steelia

Smash Champion
ah~ After Lucina's reveal, Sakurai's reasoning for adding her, Doc being apart of the Forbidden Seven in SSBB, and Sakurai's known distaste for making Doc an alt (didn't want to see him shoot fireballs as a Mario alt), it felt like only a matter of time. Glad to see my old main back, and looking great, with 100% less FLUDD :)

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Going to be real. Anyone comin in here yelling "Should've been an alt" or whatever ain't gonna sway me.

Old Down+B is back, from what I sair Dair looks like Luigi's now where it can kill....the list goes on, this is THE Mario for me to play.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
The Doc was a secondary main of mine in Melee. So to see him likely return in all his Melee glory is amazing. I look forward to playing as him. DR. Mario fans, and Melee Mario fans disillusioned with Brawl Mario, this is your character.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If Dr. Mario fights like Mario did in Melee and has the same Moveset (no F.L.U.D.D. and has Dr. Tornado as his Down B) then I will main him.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I made gifs for you guys.

Seems the Dr. Tornado got buffed, higher knockback this time

(I'll edit this post with his entrance animation in a gif in a second, stay tuned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom