• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegopher

Smash Cadet
Melee was coming to an end. Brawl was in the works. Mewtwo fortold the roster change. As a last ditch attempt to preserve himself he needed someone to help him. Working with the smart mind of Dr.Mario he was able to come to the conclusion that Dr Mario could somehow appear later and help release himself back into the smash world. A plan was devised. Dr.Mario contained himself inside a pill made coffin until the time was right. In smash 4 he finally breaks the coffin open as a signal to a world that he is back. And bringing mewtwo with him...

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
I've personally been using Rising Tornado and Breezy Sheet. The Rising Tornado honestly has more utility than the default one, since even though it doesn't have multiple hits or travel horizontally anymore, its vertical distance is significantly improved (which helps recovery coupled with a regular Super Jump Punch a ton) AND the final (read:only) hit is a KO move. And Breezy Sheet is just a better Super Sheet imo, as it reflects projectiles and can act as Doc's own mini-FLUDD.

edit: I haven't really experimented with the alt pills, though they both may be useful depending on the matchup.

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
I can't get used to Fast Pills for the love of god. They act like a quicker version of Falco's Blaster, though their hitstun is really poor compared to regular pill and Custom 3.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Breezy cape and straight pills. They act like Falco's lasers, and really help with approaches. Though the short hop lag isn't that welcome...

WiiFitBurger

Smash Cadet
Pill
Super jump punch
Mario tornado
Breezy cape

The punch can kill and dr mario has a good recovery already with the tornado momentum. It's great out of shields and is a reliable kill option

The breezy cape speaks for itself

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Completly justified. Hes probably the character who took the least effort to bring back, as he needed almost no new animations, his model was already there as a alt, his voice was there and so they just changed a couple numbers (Probably in about an hour he was done, as opposed to the months for an origanal character). It wouldbe kind of a slap in the face to the people who mained the Dr in Melee if he was just a costume. As for Lucas and Wolf, while I'd like them back, unless they were costumes for Ness and Fox that couldn't happen. And they wouldn't have been costumes, as Lucas has a different hairstyle, meaning new hitbox, and wolf was a unique character, so why make him a costume for a character that plays completly differently?

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
He's basically a Mario clone with different attributes, I'm sure no one denies that. But having tornado and the melee drill makes him basically a semiclone. Though confusing to a lot of people, I'm sure the Doc is justified.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Fast Capsule (Speed and utility, great projectile)
Ol' One Two (not practical necessarily, but damn satisfying to kill with. Links well, better than Ganon's Dark Fists)
Shocking Sheet (edgeguarding monster. Kills virtually anyone at 120% at the edge. Also aids horizontal recovery slightly)
Soaring Tornado (vertical recovery, edgeguarding tool from below or when grounded, as Shocking Sheet is better airborne, stupidly powerful on final hit and disruptive beforehand.)

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Well, my set is
Fast Capsule/Megavitamin - Interchangable because MU dependent.
Breezy Sheet - The best of the three IMO.
Super Jump Punch/Super Jump - Depending on if I use Doc Tornado or not. If I keep Doc Nado for certain matchups, I switch to Super Jump.
Soaring Tornado/Doc Tornado - MU dependent. I believe Doc Tornado beats Sonic's spindash so that's an example of when I would opt for Super Jump to assist recovery, but otherwise, Soaring tornado.

Thegopher

Smash Cadet
As the title says.. I'm going to the come up (apex 2015 qualifier). I was hoping custom moves would be legal but apparently they are not.... Should I be sticking with doc? He is definitely my main but the recovery is ham...

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Try to use his recovery efficiently, his recovery isn't as bad as what you think. The default tornado is still good for helping him going back on stage. If he's your best character, stick with him, it will help you progress.

If you really don't want to use Dr.Mario, then use your other main or a secondary. The normal Mario is good to have when you're a player of Doc for example. But I still recommend to use your main if you want to have the best resuslts and progress even more with him.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Doc's recovery isn't THAT bad I agree, you just have to use it wisely. He also has a walljump; keep that in mind.

Also imo doc's better than Mario. He kills alot earlier, has upb, has tornado, has upb, dair is sweet, has upb, bair is godlike, has upb, fair kills better, pills are better cause of the bounce, I like it how he has no momentum change on his cape, blablabla.

Even if doc would be worse than Mario he would be exactly beneath him tier wise. Not 4/5 spots apart for example.

Stick with doc if he's your main, he is pretty solid. I dont find any real weakness besides the recovery tbh..

Last edited:

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
Regarding Ol' One Two Punch, it seems like you can't reverse it if the first hit makes contact. Can anyone else confirm?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
He's basically a Mario clone with different attributes, I'm sure no one denies that. But having tornado and the melee drill makes him basically a semiclone. Though confusing to a lot of people, I'm sure the Doc is justified.
LOL, not even close. That's two moves and technically Mario's down air is still the tornado just with different properties. So now we're down to Doc's down air and Mario's F.L.U.D.D. He's a clone.

OT:
No, he's not justified. Any other clone that wasn't the exact same character I could've said otherwise but there is no point in having 2 Mario's on the roster especially when the franchise already gained 2 other new fighters in this iteration. He doesn't bring anything new to the table. At least with characters like Roy, Lucina, and Dark Pit you get new/more dynamics, stories, representation, and most importantly a new character.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
LOL, not even close. That's two moves and technically Mario's down air is still the tornado just with different properties. So now we're down to Doc's down air and Mario's F.L.U.D.D. He's a clone.

OT:
No, he's not justified. Any other clone that wasn't the exact same character I could've said otherwise but there is no point in having 2 Mario's on the roster especially when the franchise already gained 2 other new fighters in this iteration. He doesn't bring anything new to the table. At least with characters like Roy, Lucina, and Dark Pit you get new/more dynamics, stories, representation, and most importantly a new character.
Different properties and different PLACEMENTS OF THE MOVE. Different ways to use it. Doc uses it as a recovery and a multipurpose land attack using down b, Mario uses it as down air, and can only use it in the air, as a safe move.

For all purposes concerned, the tornados of the two are different.

I'm all for Doc, if only to show that other series deserve more representation as well. I do believe the Mario series did get a bit milked.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Different properties and different PLACEMENTS OF THE MOVE. Different ways to use it. Doc uses it as a recovery and a multipurpose land attack using down b, Mario uses it as down air, and can only use it in the air, as a safe move.

For all purposes concerned, the tornados of the two are different.

I'm all for Doc, if only to show that other series deserve more representation as well. I do believe the Mario series did get a bit milked.
Yes, I know they have different properties and uses but they are still the same move. They both reference the same attack that he used in the Super Mario games and are both animated the same. All I'm saying is semi-clone is being way too lenient on Doc.

Folt

Smash Ace
So long as the clone encourages playing differently from the original, it's worth it. Dr. Mario presently does that.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Yes, I know they have different properties and uses but they are still the same move. They both reference the same attack that he used in the Super Mario games and are both animated the same. All I'm saying is semi-clone is being way too lenient on Doc.
I feel that everyone has a different opinion of clone. Mine is the "a similar appearing move on the same button combination."

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Cut Dr. Mario. He is just Mario in a doctor's outfit.
Cut Dark Pit. He is just an evil Pit.
Cut Lucina. She is just a female Marth.
Cut Sheik. She is just Zelda in a ninja's outfit.
Cut Toon Link. He is just a cartoon version of Link.
Cut Zero Suit Samus. She is just Samus without her Power Suit.
Cut Falco. He is just Fox as a bird.
Cut Ganondorf. He is just Captain Falcon with the Triforce of Power.
Cut Jigglypuff. She is just Kirby with different moves.
Cut Luigi. He is just green Mario.

:troll:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The way I see it, making Doc an alt of Mario would be like making Falco an alt of Fox. Sure, there's significant degrees of separation between them, but it's not too much beyond what people are saying ought to have been Doc's fate. It would also be unfair on the people who mained Doc back in Melee (e.g. yours truly) and actually appreciate his distinctive moves and abilities. Nobody is forcing y'all to play as him, and at this stage, it's not as thought Doc being his own separate character is causing any detriment to the actual roster.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I think he is justified, given the very low amount of work put into him.
1. Was fairly popular in Melee
2. Brings back Mario's Melee moveset, plus the reverse nair.
3. Represents Puzzle Games.
What's not to love?

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I actually heard he was only put in because the team had a bit of extra time and it was just a 'why not?' kind of moment.
Honestly, it's pretty refreshing to see him. Brings back memories of Melee.

I HEAVILY doubt he was the reason another possible newcomer didn't make it. Sakurai wouldn't do that. Besides, as OP said, making him would really only require making a few tweaks to the coding and making a couple icons, and a victory scene. It may take a while, but compared to making an entirely new character, it's really not much of a comparison.

Dr. Mario is justified, in my opinion.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
So long as the clone encourages playing differently from the original, it's worth it. Dr. Mario presently does that.
This.

Also, all the things he brings with him from Melee are quite nostalgic. In general his inclusion feels like a nod to old Melee fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom